WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,927 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka - How is your sense of smell coming on? Are things tasting different?

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Prior to the surgery, I had a mild sense of smell and reasonable sense of taste.

Coffee, for example, is bitter. Chocolate is sweet/bitter. But I have trouble with the nuances which smell offers. For me, there's not much difference between the smell of dark chocolate and milk chocolate ... perhaps dark chocolate is a little more bitter/sweet and milk chocolate is a little more sweet/bitter.

As far as smell goes, my sense of smell has been really good when picking up "bad" things like mould, staleness, or when things are off, but less good when detecting other things unless they are quite strong.

Since the surgery, things are the same.

Except! I get these incredibly intense blasts of smell every now and then. I'll be going along in a nice neutral way and all of a sudden it's like being hit in the face and completely enveloped in smell! That will last for several minutes and then it goes away.

For three days now, someone at work has had curry. It smell so very good, but so very intense that I have to leave the office.

I've read that it can take 3 months before everything settles.

Machka in Oz

Regarding the senses of smell and taste ...

Loss of Smell or Taste After Traumatic Brain Injury
    https://msktc.org/tbi/factsheets/loss-smell-or-taste-after-traumatic-brain-injury

As air enters the nose, it triggers certain nerves. These nerves bring information to a part of the brain called the olfactory bulb. That information then goes to the part of the brain that creates our sense of smell. Loss of smell may result from damage to the lining of the nose or nasal passages. Other causes may be injury to the nerve that carries smell sensation from the nose to the brain (olfactory nerve) or harm to parts of the brain that process smell. Other possible causes are infections, toxins, and medicines.

Smell and taste are part of an overlapping sensory system. "Flavor" comes almost entirely from the nose. Smell and taste are directly related because they both trigger the same nerves. Taste receptors on the tongue and nerves in the nose work together to tell us about the air we breathe and the food we eat.

In my case, my limited sense of smell likely has/had to do with the nasal passages.

In my husband's case, it's his brain. He used to have a good sense of smell and taste, and misses it now. I could bake something really nice for him for his birthday, and may do, and he'll tell me it's good but he won't be able to taste it.

Texture is very important now and so are appearance and memory. If a food looks good or looks the way it is supposed to or how he remembers it ... and if the texture seems right ... then it's OK.

Interestingly, however, he "feels" taste. Apparently salt feels different in the mouth than sugar.

Machka in Oz
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Machka That link is to VEDA and is based in Portland, Oregon. I was a bit saddened that in recent years they have changed and some of their info doesn't honor the work of Dr. Epley and Dr. Black. For the most part, VEDA still has great info. Once the great neuro-otologist scientists were gone, the ENT's of lesser education and dedication took over the Portland scene and are trying to make a name for themselves and they reject all the patient's records from Epley and Black and want to redo all testing resulting in expenses that very few can afford. VEDA just follows their lead and it seems they have taken some vestibular disorders therapy back 30 years instead of advancing it. In 2011 I wanted to get another steroid dip infusion and I was told that the new docs required all new testing and they would make their diagnosis which might overturn that of Dr.s Epley and Black and they no longer used the Epley/Black drip method. None of that set well with me. It was all about making money, boosting their egos, not science, and not helping the suffering. Dr. Timothy Hain used to have a very informative webpage but I cannot find it anymore.

Good, advise for Sarah to find a vestibular doctor in her area and get their opinion if this persists. I also say go on the diet and have vitamin levels tested and take necessary vitamins and stay active and discuss antiviral therapy with a PCP and try for 6 months and see if that helps. It won't hurt.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    Bloodwork results in. Everything looks good but.....wbc is low again and
    Cholesterol up to 251! Good hdl is 93 which is fine, but bad has gone up 31 points. Triglycerides were in normal range but higher. Doctor says I need to change diet to stay off statins. How is it I get to a good weight for me and have cholesterol problems-smh. Xray on shoulder today. More research on eating. Any suggestions on foods helpful. Must be quick and easy as I am still working......Thank you in advance!

Kylia shaking her head in Ohio
  • Faetta
    Options
    Kylia Yes, your doc is right, stay off those statins. I would suggest trying to remove all fats from your diet except things like olive oil and good fats. Also, take 2 flaxseed oil capsules 3 times a day and vitamin E oil capsules twice daily. My friend got her cholesterol down and is off statins using just the flaxseed oil. The heart is a muscle and those statins cause muscle soreness and cramping. They can kill you before the cholesterol will. Substitute one of your meals (maybe noon) with a quality protein shake. Flaxseed oil, girl, pop those flaxseed oil caps, and feel that bad stuff sliding on down away from your heart. It acts as a lube in the arteries.
  • Machka9
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Bloodwork results in. Everything looks good but.....wbc is low again and
    Cholesterol up to 251! Good hdl is 93 which is fine, but bad has gone up 31 points. Triglycerides were in normal range but higher. Doctor says I need to change diet to stay off statins. How is it I get to a good weight for me and have cholesterol problems-smh. Xray on shoulder today. More research on eating. Any suggestions on foods helpful. Must be quick and easy as I am still working......Thank you in advance!

Kylia shaking her head in Ohio

Lots of veggies! :)

Have a look at the Mediterranean Diet. The way I eat is probably closest to that and it seems to me to be fairly well-balanced. I do make various substitutions such as eating chicken instead of fish and I don't drink alcohol.

There are various descriptions, and it's not an exact thing (not like keto). Have a look at several sites, but this is a nice description complete with a pyramid ...

v3mhm13r63th.png

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/diets/the-mediterranean-diet.htm

Oh and exercise!! Get out for at least a walk just about every day. :)

M in Oz
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Machka-
    Thank you! Love this.
    Machka9 wrote: »
    roil54zo6dea.png

Kylia- for me, my bad cholesterol tends to go up when I'm getting the vast majority of my protein from animal sources--cheese and red meat in particular.
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka Zwift! Yes that’s what I was thinking. Sounds like you’ve long had this set up. Is there some treat from past rides you could re-create for your husband’s birthday gift instead? A weekend away somewhere peaceful?

Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie

We are hoping to get away for a night or two toward the end of the month during spring break.

If all goes well, that will be a joint celebration: my husband's birthday, his sister's birthday, and our anniversary. :)

We'd like to go up north for a cycling weekend too, but it depends on my course and assignments.

Machka in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,059 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,726 Member
    Options
    Well Connecticut got slammed over 960,000 people without power ,trees,limbs,poles wires down everywhere..my town looks like a bomb went off.. going to take days of not weeks to get things back to normal...
    Went doan and picked up Homer,he hasn't gone to the groomers yet because of his teeth so has lots of fur and Tom didnt want him to hot,i have AC so he is snoozing on my bed..
    Dont know if I will be working at all this week..
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,940 Member
    Options
    :) Jake's video appointment with the cardiologist was a great success yesterday. He was stressed all morning in anticipation of it but at least we didn't have to get up extra early, drive for 90 minutes, take a ferry, take a taxi, and wait in the waiting room then repeat all the travel afterward. All the tests showed that his heart continues to do as well as it has been for the last few years. The next appointment will be video again in February.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Faetta
    Options
    Sarah It just occurred to me that your vertigo may be hormone related! Vertigo in women during menopause is not that uncommon and with hormones changing this can cause endolymph to surge and make life unpleasant. Vertigo and a hot flash can really put the quietus on an old girl's adventures. I remember one lady in our old vestibular group that had vertigo after childbirth that suddenly disappeared and then again appeared with a vengeance at the onset of menopause. Might be worth getting your hormones checked and balanced. Hormones may not directly cause vertigo, but they affect other functions that can. Don't let any doctor tell you that hormones have no relationship to vertigo in women during menopause. They do and it is an easy fix compared to other reasons.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Sarah It just occurred to me that your vertigo may be hormone related! Vertigo in women during menopause is not that uncommon and with hormones changing this can cause endolymph to surge and make life unpleasant. Vertigo and a hot flash can really put the quietus on an old girl's adventures. I remember one lady in our old vestibular group that had vertigo after childbirth that suddenly disappeared and then again appeared with a vengeance at the onset of menopause. Might be worth getting your hormones checked and balanced. Hormones may not directly cause vertigo, but they affect other functions that can. Don't let any doctor tell you that hormones have no relationship to vertigo in women during menopause. They do and it is an easy fix compared to other reasons.

What's the "easy fix"? I have had vertigo a couple days before every period since about 2010 and my hot flashes are a horrible mix of dizziness, nausea, prickly painful skin and then the heat. Every single one of them ... several times a day especially if I'm stressed. In fact stress can trigger a whole set of them in a row.

I know it's hormones. My doctors and gynaecologic oncologist know it's hormones ... but unfortunately there is no easy fix.

M in Oz
  • Faetta
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Grandmalie That is terrible. A few months ago we had a sudden storm that took down lines here and only a few thousand affected, but it took a week to get my power going. I bought a small generator for lights and fans and also to keep the freezer and refrigs going. It ran 24/7 and after power was restored I couldn't get the sound out of my mind for days. It was only a small area but looked like a war zone. Trees down on houses and cars and power poles knocked down. The wires were so bent they put up all-new lines. One of the down lines caused a fire and that really added to the drama. I went around the neighborhood with my little Sthil chainsaw and did limbing so the boys with there big saws could get to the big stuff. I had to sharpen some of their chains as most of them had never sharpened a chain and our local saw shop was swamped. It was fun being a timberjill again. Now some of them call me the old chainsaw chick. I hope your area gets lots of help getting back to normal if that is even possible.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,253 Member
    Options
    Went out in the sun :o and walked down to the harbour Fish Market with my trolley. Only bought a piece of haddock fresh, but came back with huge frozen prawns, frozen squid with tentacles, lumpfish roe, fish soup, blinis, smoked mackerel, and my favourite wildboar chorizo. I have had to put that somewhere I can't see it because I really can't resist it. I might cut it in half to share with my son, who is as helpless in the face of it as I am. At least that way we neither of us will eat the whole thing. >:)

Stopped off at the deli on the way home for arugula, Italian salami, baby vine tomatoes, asparagus and cucumber. Mask wearing, hand sanitising. Lots of distance.

Tonight I'm roasting a marrow and having it with ragu and a sprinkling of parmesan and arugula. Did I ever tell you how much I love arugula. :laugh: Just had some for my afternoon snack with cottage cheese and half an avocado.

It's going to get HOT by Friday. Boo!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie: Sorry to hear about the theft of your friend’s car. :cry:

Kylia: I’ve had trouble with ants this year, too. A combination of Raid ant traps and German Thyme vanquished them. The ant traps came with the instructions to deploy all the ant traps at once. I haven’t seen an ant in my house in a few weeks, now. Keeping my fingers crossed that they stay gone. :star:

Machka: The gardening books make a wonderful gift. :flowerforyou:

Karen in VA: Did you do well in the storm? DS and DDIL came through it without damages. It was a relief to hear from them. :bigsmile:

Barbara: The deer are no longer pestering my beans, as far as I know. They did their damage before and have not been here in the last while. I’m surprised that others are having some of the same problems as I’ve had this year. I managed to get flowers to bud, but bean production is low. I’ll see how the new planting comes along. I planted them behind the first two rows. I suspect there will be plenty of time before the first fall frost, usually about October 24. :smilie:

Lisa: I have knee challenges, too, but they are not as serious as yours. My injury was an over use problem caused during a riding lesson. (Not my current teacher.) That teacher directed me to post at a trot the same direction for an hourlong lesson. I went to a knee surgeon & have one surgery scar. The surgeon I visited after the first surgery declined to do a second surgery. He prescribed exercises for the weak knee and said that taking off pounds was the best thing I could do for myself. Now I need to keep the pounds off, and that is its own challenge. :ohwell:

Its a beautiful Morning. We have another bright, bright sunshiney day. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beauftiful NW Oregon
  • Faetta
    Options
    Ginger Welcome and I say great decision and your 50's are a great time to get in shape. Get out and walk to help with the bonkers. The main ingredient in fitness is dedication and having the drive to get strong. You can do it!! You have discovered a great bunch of fun and knowledgable ladies here. The best ever glad to have you join us.
    Sign your post with the name you want us to use and general location.

Faye
    mid-Columbia River Oregon