WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    Options
    Heat a bit much! :# I've been napping and doing my languages. Makes me feel as if I haven't entirely wasted my day!
    It's going on for a few more days, getting more humid.
    I haven't done my bonus calories, but have cut back on CI.
    DSIL suggests we meet up next week around tea time. Maybe the beach. I really, really want to see the kids, but hate walking around in the heat. Let's hope it eases up a bit.
    I feel life is on hold in this heatwave.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,947 Member
    Options
    Proud of myself for going out early with DH to run my 5k. o:)
    Cool breeze. Locals swimming, paddleboarding, running. Fabulous! I am so lucky to live here. As long as you stay away from the beach on a hot Sunday later on!
    I came back and did some rowing, yoga and weights.

DH still slightly woozy first thing, but he is walking and doing all his exercises on the machines.

Faye - My name is Heather Eyles. Most of my published output was children's books for many years, though I published poetry, short stories and plays for adults. I had one play on BBC Radio. I had a small, theatre company as well, producing my own works and teaching drama for therapy. In recent years I have self published an old novel from1982 and a memoir of my first 9 years. They are definitely not children's books. I am currently working on the next 9 years and hope to publish by Christmas. Everything can be found on my author page on Amazon. The children's books are old ones.

Much love to all. I will be hunkering down in the heat today.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Heather- I am checking out your books- amazing!! Two different ones are going for over $800 for paperback!!!

Debbie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We’ve been industrious today, and it isn’t even noon yet. Shopping is done, we made up a meatloaf and put it into the freezer for a future dinner, and we checked on our RV. The RV looked good to me. DH had envisioned a lake of leaked oil but there were only 2 tiny spots. I’m looking forward to a riding lesson later this afternoon. Today is a bright, bright sunshiny day. 😎😘
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,751 Member
    Options
    Kim ... Happy Belated Birthday! Hope you had a wonderful day!

Allie ... never say never ...

SuziQ ... glad to hear that the storm passed you by ... but sorry to hear you had to deal with your neighbor's water tank. Water is so damaging! Always finds the path of least resistance.

Getting a lot done this past week now that my oldest is back in his place ... cleaning, reorganizing, even back to normal eating. Spent a couple days of training new staff and miracles never cease. Seems the new folks are a little more on the ball! And his new care coordinator is incredibly over-qualified for the job. He needs to take advantage of her knowledge while he has her. Younger son arrived unexpectedly and we are enjoying his company although he has had to quarantine here in NY as he's living in a covid hotspot. I think he plans to head back on Tuesday as he finally has a meeting with someone in his chosen career field. Keeping my fingers crossed that it leads to something ... anything! He is still without work.

Beth

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Beth- ive heard the saying.. im quite happy the way I am.. even got a text from Elena she is making eggplant parm and she is leaving me some in the fridge at there house.. because you know who wont eat that stuff lol..
    Found dog treats that both Alfie and Homer love will see if i can do the Costco online and just pick them up.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

It has been an interesting few weeks. I will provide more details after I catch up to the 400 posts I have missed. I will try to comment on most but will probably miss some things.

Barbie – Thank you for starting us off to a new month – August! The time is certainly flying by.

Kylia – I so wanted to wrap my arms around you with your story of the reason why you have such an aversion to wearing a mask. I want you to know if I was there I would have beat the crap out of that person – taking away your innocence. There is a special place in hell for people who destroy children. So sorry about the thefts and thankful you did not grab on to the car this time. So happy you and DH played hooky and had a good day together.

Sharon – I just saw the picture of the shawl posted on FB. I am sure a search of shawl with pockets (crochet/knitted) may bring up a pattern for you. I know many knit/crochet within the group and I thought what a great present! Congratulations on your newest family member. Adorable!

Pip – The going away poster for Kirby was such a nice gift. Aw Yogi! Nice cut! Thank you for sharing your adventure.

Kate – So sorry to hear about your SIL and your brother’s mixed emotions. I cannot imagine.

Sara – Prayers for you dad. Big hug to you!

Faye – Your story of Sturgis had me cracking up. Oh, my I hope to be so comfortable with myself when I am not so young!

Debbie – Oh, my what a bounty at your mom’s house. Looks like you will be set for a while.

Oh, Margaret – I am so sorry.

Lisa – Time to break out the champagne and toast…..the fence is DONE!!! Egg was determined to get the toys out of that kitty play set.

Tracey – Something about food and people. When we were going to the office and someone would say there was xyz in the lunchroom you would have thought the people had not eaten in days. And, a lot of them take 3-4 servings before everyone has had a chance to get a bite. I was taught you take a serving and wait until everyone got a portion. If you want seconds and everyone has been served….ok. It got so bad in the office people would have to leave notes on the food in the refrigerator stating not to touch it.

Rebecca – Love the loss chart. Wow, I lost a 5 gallon bottle of water or an average human leg! So sorry for your loss.

Barbara – For bug bites I used the Benadryl lotion or spray. I crash when I take it in pill form and will only ingest when I must. Sorry to hear about your nephew.

Rita and Rebecca – Funny story. A close friend and I took one of our other friend’s son to Metro Zoo for his birthday. He had just turned 6. We went to see the elephant show and as the elephants were walking in to the habitat one of the males was very excited. Eileen and I just looked at each other and started chuckling. Of course, everyone was quiet listening to the trainer talking, when all of a sudden Jamie screams out, “Look at his penis, it’s huge!”. The whole crowd cracked up.

Faye – Love your grey hair too. Mine is 50/50…..cannot wait for 100%. It is very freeing not having to worry about “roots”.

Sarah – Welcome back. I love your tiny home/she shed. I have seriously been thinking about tiny home living. I have been in consistent downsizing mode to see how much I can live with and without. At this point it’s my thought the only way I would be able to totally downsize is if I had a decent sized storage area and/or garage. Which somewhat defeats the purpose unless it’s a permanently placed tiny home.

Bras and boobs – Like most I really do not like wearing bras and take it off as soon as I am home. Since the very young age of 12 I have been very developed (C or D depending upon weight) and have never been “perky”. Since I have what some men call “BTs” (breakfast titt—s) I usually look “aroused” so must wear a bra out. Although I have known to wear a “shelf” camisole if I have a thicker shirt on. Since I am working remote now I do put one on in the morning which is usually peeled off by 4pm. Wearing one seems to put me in to “work” mode.

Karen – Oh, the boo- cartoon! Priceless….LOL!!!!!

Welcome New Members! Sorry not to mention you all by name – I am over two weeks behind and trying desperately to catch up with everyone.

Kim – Happiest of birthdays to you!!

Carol – I agree – TG for central air conditioning! It is on 24-7, 365 here in sunny SFL.

Machka – I am a true book lover. I read approximately 70-80 books per year. I am happy you are on the mend and are recovering.

Bananas – Good to trust your instincts. Sorry you did not feel comfortable.

Heather – Thank you for the mention. It has been a crazy few weeks for me. Hope DH figures out his dizziness/lack of umph in the mornings. Hopefully the heat wave passes and you are back to normal temperatures.

My craziness…I put this in a spoiler because this post is way too long.
    I had taken Friday, July 31st off so I could get some painting prep completed. Well, Hurricane Isaias had other plans for me. My original schedule was to paint prep on Friday. On Saturday I had a haircut scheduled and was meeting a friend for lunch. Afterwards I was going to stock up on some things. The balance of Saturday and Sunday were reserved for painting.

For those of you who prepare for storms you know how crowded and crazy people can be up to the storm. So I changed my plans and headed to Costco and the grocery store on Friday to stock up on fresh vegetables, fruits, and a little stress food. Unlike most I stock up on other storm goods in May at the beginning of the season. Things like water, batteries, canned goods, propane etc. are in the pantry/storage. I still do not get why people wait until the last possible moment and then wonder why the shelves are empty – especially if they have lived in Florida for a number of years.

Saturday I still got my hair cut and met my friend for lunch. The weather heads were now predicting a Category 1 hitting somewhere around Palm Beach County (the county above me). I have been through enough Category 1 storms to know I needed to put and/or tie up anything that would fly around so after lunch I spent time in my courtyard putting things up/away. Around 3pm or so the wind really picked up and so did rain from a band that came over my home. After it passed I shut the hurricane shutters and was ready to hunker down for the next 24 hours or so.

On Sunday morning the weather, as most already know, turned out to be OK for us in SFL. I opened the shutters, cleaned up the courtyard, and put everything back in its place. When coming downstairs from opening the shutters I noticed the rug at the bottom of the stairs was wet. I looked up, down, at the walls, etc. and could not figure out where the water was coming from. I have a very new water heater which sits in a pan with a water alarm. If the water heater should leak (under the stairs) the alarm goes off. Now I am freaking out because what if the alarm did not work. I go in to the pantry and see no water. I go all the way back (my stairs have a landing and the water heater sits under the landing. No water in the pan but there is tons of water from the back of the water heater all the way up to the edge of the bottom stair.

It look me 2 hours to clean up the water to figure out where it was coming from. There was the tiniest of holes at the bottom of the wall which abuts the unit behind me. Now, I am thinking one of my pipes in the wall is leaking. I shut off the main, drain all of the lines and find water is still seeping. That’s when I figured out the neighbor behind me must have a leak. I go and knock on the door and they are not home! But, of course they are not home.

After 2 more hours of cleaning up the water coming through the wall the neighbors finally return. I go there and they both think I am nuts because there is no water coming through to their pantry. I tell them please go all the way back and check your water heater. Guess what – it was leaking! TG he is a general contractor and was able to drain it and replace it himself.

After he shut off the water there was still seepage which I had to continually clean up until all of it drained from the wall. I checked all of the back walls and all was good. Just that little spot where the water was coming through. Well, on Monday morning I go to use the powder room and notice my vanity at the bottom is expanded. Apparently, the water did continue along the wall and then down the wall of my powder room and landed under the vanity.

Long and short – very fortunate I was at home and not on vacation when this happened. The vanity is a small price to pay as the damage could have been a lot worse. I am not trying to figure out how I can repair without fully removing the vanity because full removal will require a complete remodeling of the powder room. And, what about insurance…..well, I am not in a flood zone and do not have flood insurance…..home owners will not pay for repairs if the water is from the bottom up (only top down). Lesson learned – flood insurance is being purchased!

Needless to say I have been a little out of sorts over the past two weeks. Trying to get my emotions and eating back to a good place. I am really counting my blessings – again it could have been so much worse! Especially looking at all of the damage caused by the Hurricane, my drama is small in comparison.

I must get my day started. I have been putting many things off for the past few days and must get caught up. Time waits for no one.

Hugs to all and prayers for those in need.
    SuziQ – SFL

Yes I kinda did the same thing when I was at the zoo in Japan. I was quietly conversing with husband then noticed his 5th "leg", and said kinda loud, "Owie"! Some Japanese ladies heard me and giggled. Yes language IS universal.😁
    💖Rebecca
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    SuziQ I bet your general contractor neighbor whose water tank was leaking would help you figure out how to repair the damage to your home. And it would probably be very easy for him…plus, if he finds out you had to have somebody in to repair damage caused by his leak, he will probably feel bad.

Karen in Virginia

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Ok ordered dog treats.. holy moly andy.. 25.00 a bag and i got 2 each. Which with tax was 106 bucks..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    Options
    SuziQ - if it's his leak, surely he should be responsible for the damage? That's 3rd party insurance.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    😀😊😁
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,093 Member
    Options
    Kim: 🍾🥂🎂Happy Birthday 🎂🥂🍾
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,093 Member
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Katla ~ Please explain how to change the text color. I knew at one time, but, I have forgotten.

Carol in GA

[ color=red ] without the spaces inside brackets will give you red etc.
    [ /color ] to end color

without the spaces inside brackets will give you red etc.
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Saw this awesome top while looking for scarf material to make some more masks that would look nice as a neck scarf also. My idea was to have these for walking and should a mask necessary situation occur, all I have to do is pull it up. I love my crop top idea. All I do is pull it up and tie it in the back for the mask and in the front for the crop look.

Faye sewing by the river

m2vu0mj2x91g.jpg
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Machka - I have fun when my daughters and grandchildren are around. I enjoy visiting and talking with friends. To me those are fun days.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    Aaa