WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    It amazes me when people are thinking and planning for Christmas in August! Especially this year when we have no idea what December will bring.

I'm one who starts to think about Christmas around November 25 or so. :smile:

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,541 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day

Jog/walk w/family- 33.05min, 13.54min mi, 154mhr, 2.37mi= 306c
    Apple Watch= 289c
    Zwift bike trainer= 32.28min, 20.5amph, 162mhr, 11.10mi= 387c
    Apple Watch= 295c

Total cal= 693
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,541 Member
    Options
    Katla- no, that is only for his wooden bike cuz it stays indoors
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,912 Member
    Options
    :) Nothing new here. I am keeping up with the zucchini harvest. I walked across the street this morning to ask my neighbor if she'd like some of the next batch that I'll pick and she started telling me about a lot of things including how it won't be long until she'll have to start working on craft projects for Christmas.

:) The blanket I'm knitting for Project Linus is about half finished but I have to wait for more yarn to come in order to finish it. I found a great site for ordering yarn in all the colors I want.

:)Machka, As it gets darker and cooler in the mornings, I think about how it will be getting gradually lighter and warmer for you.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Machka9
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Debbie: The felt Christmas Tree is wonderful! :star:

Machka: I would likely have challenges with a Christmas in the middle of summer, and then adapt to the new weather patterns. I imagine Santa visiting your house wearing Bermuda shorts, sunglasses and carrying a bag full of summertime toys & treats. Somehow Hawaii sneaks into this fantasy and Santa brings leis, too. :wink:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

It was challenging at first, but after 11 years, it's OK. :) And yes, in the stores, the pool stuff, outdoor patio stuff and other summer stuff is right next to the Christmas stuff.

I'm just so busy and have so many deadlines coming up sooner then Christmas that Christmas is off the radar. At some point we will have to figure out what to do about our Christmas trees. Rhody will consider them a personal challenge ... so we'll either figure out how to hang them from the ceiling or not bother. But that's a worry for another month!

M in Oz
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Debbie: The felt Christmas Tree is wonderful! :star:

Machka: I would likely have challenges with a Christmas in the middle of summer, and then adapt to the new weather patterns. I imagine Santa visiting your house wearing Bermuda shorts, sunglasses and carrying a bag full of summertime toys & treats. Somehow Hawaii sneaks into this fantasy and Santa brings leis, too. :wink:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Thank you! She doesn't have room for a actual tree but this will give her something to do/re-do when she wants. Last year I sent her a baby doll.
    I have enough fabric for two trees(well a few more than that-depending on the size I make them)- I just need to figure out the pattern/size of the tree to figure out the size of ornaments to make- then the fun, creative part starts. It will help get me really ready for Christmas by the time it comes

Debbie
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    This coming week ...
    • Work 4 days.
    • Uni on Thursday morning.
    • Assignment 1 due on Friday (so I'm off that day). I'm hoping we can run what we've got so far by the tutor tomorrow (Monday) to ensure we're on the right track. I've been working on my part all weekend, but have yet to see anyone else's parts.
    • Brain Injury Association Peer Group on Tuesday. I'm a committee member of the Association and my husband has a brain injury. These Peer Group meetings seem to be good for him.
    • National Committee Meeting of my cycling group. I'm president and representative of my local state branch. We had our local planning meeting last week so we'll possibly discuss our state's progress with that.
    • Medical appointment - there's at least one each week again! This time it's my husband's MRI.
    • I'm working on another project which I hoped to have completed to a certain point by last Friday. It wasn't so I'm hoping to look at it on Monday evening again.
    • Then, if all goes well, we might go to see our son and daughter-in-law play field hockey on Saturday.

I think that's pretty much everything at the moment. More usually crops up as the week progresses. I miss the shutdown time.

Machka in Oz

Making progress!

I'm glad I'm taking tomorrow (Friday) off to work on the assignment. We've been getting a lot of tips from the instructor and we weren't quite on the right track. So this evening and as much as I can tomorrow, I'll get us back on track! Hopefully my other group members will help too. It's due at 11:55 pm tomorrow night.

I have a personal project I'm also working on ... was hoping to get it done on Monday, but it looks like it will be this coming Monday. There's just not enough time in the day!

Meanwhile, I'm at work eating lunch right now and several things have come up that I need to do this afternoon.

Machka in Australia ... where it will be spring in 18 days. :)
  • Machka9
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Machka - anyone that crafts or makes Christmas presents starts thinking about it mid summer. Lol this year I am wanting to do a major project for my girls and need to get at it.

Tracey in Edmonton

That's true. I've never been a craft person. My entire Christmas preparation is:

2 evenings to put up the decorations.
    1 evening to figure out some travel options and send some emails to places that might have openings somewhere in the vicinity of Christmas. And then booking the best place(s) to allow us to cycle, hike, run etc.
    1 evening to order the Amazon gift cards for family.

And if I'm feeling in the baking mood at all, I might spend a bit of time on a couple weekends making shortbread and/or a pavlova.

I love a quiet, peaceful Christmas that involves lots of outdoor activity like cycling, hiking, running etc. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    My friend where I used to live has broken her scaphoid bone (I had to look it up) power walking in the forest. Big plastercast. Now a removable splint. She is the same one that dropped a bread knife on her toe and ruined her tendon. Major problems. Oh well. Next year she is going to walk from Winchester in England to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. She did the Camino for her 60th, but wants to do it again, with the added bit. :* We are all different! Different strokes for different folks.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Along the Velodyssee Route? If so, I'm jealous! We spent some time on the Velodyssee Route in 2012 ... cycled from Bordeaux to La Rochelle ... and loved it. My favourite part of France. Since then I've wanted to move to Royan where the language school is, and stay there for several months or a year or two ... whatever was possible. Cycling up and down the coast and improving my French. :):):)

https://www.cycling-lavelodyssee.com/

EV1-La Vélodyssée : A 1200 km long cycle route along the Atlantic coast
    Travelling across Brittany and along the Atlantic to the Basque Coast, La Vélodyssée is an invigorating cycling journey through landscapes of unspoilt beauty.
    Get on your bike and explore this cycle tour of over 1200 km with its beautiful ocean backdrop! Between Roscoff and Hendaye, 70% of the route is on traffic-free paths. Discover our regional treasures as you follow the longest, fully-signposted cycle route in France.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka - anyone that crafts or makes Christmas presents starts thinking about it mid summer. Lol this year I am wanting to do a major project for my girls and need to get at it.

Tracey in Edmonton

That's true. I've never been a craft person. My entire Christmas preparation is:

2 evenings to put up the decorations.
    1 evening to figure out some travel options and send some emails to places that might have openings somewhere in the vicinity of Christmas. And then booking the best place(s) to allow us to cycle, hike, run etc.
    1 evening to order the Amazon gift cards for family.

And if I'm feeling in the baking mood at all, I might spend a bit of time on a couple weekends making shortbread and/or a pavlova.

I love a quiet, peaceful Christmas that involves lots of outdoor activity like cycling, hiking, running etc. :)

M in Oz

we go a bit(well, a LOT crazy) decorating for Christmas. I used to say it was for the daycare kids and for my son when he was young but honestly, it was just as much for me. We start Thanksgiving weekend. The yard is totally decorated. I want lights back on the roof but unless I get my son to do it, it won't happen. The living room is done next- I have a TON of stuffed animals that all are battery operated that are holiday(I have every day ones out the rest of the year) that are on the back of the couch. They are fun and the kids love them.
    Lots of baking plus candy making
    I start shopping for gifts around this time of the year but really look all year long- if I see something I know someone will like I get it- makes it easier when we are closer to the holidays.

Debbie

WOW!!

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,487 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: T’ai Chi, pack, pooches to petsitter, board meeting
    Bonus: Post Office, recycling, board meeting minutes.
    Get to do: keep moving and making healthy choices the next few days, rx, clean something, practice new dances (Turning Tables, Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); transplant bean, make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments. Monday call Secretary of State office re: change of information,
    Altruistic August
    12: Share an encouraging news story to inspire others. This will take some searching.

Terri, oh my, I hope those schoolchildren are collecting galoshes and not prophylactics!
    Lanette, thanks for the giggles, I sure needed ‘em! I’d love to hear Tammie’s secret, I need to get after Tumble’s plaque and keep Shadow from developing any.
    Michele I’ve always used vinegar in the final rinse of my washing machine, instead of fabric softener. Why does Consumer Reports recommend against it?
    Faye so sorry your special place was so tainted. You’ve really been through a lot.
    Margaret :heart:
    Oh Beth! Words fail.
    Pip thanks for the coke, sponge, rub with foil rust removal instructionsl. Will try it next week and let you know.
    Carol praying the MRI results in a quick and easy fix for your troubled ear.
    Tracey I may try your daughter’s strategy on Joe, he leaves the sponge sopping. Haven’t complained to him yet, just so grateful he’s washing dishes ;)

Just skimming as I need to get some zzzzzs. Will be away from my laptop for a few days so my read but not post til next week.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: better than July.
    daily: steps>5491=3979 vits=13 log=12 CI<CO=10 CI<250<CO=6 Tumble & Shadow 5=8 mfp=12 outside=6 up hill=5
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=4 rx=1 dance=1 clean 30 mins=4-2/3
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=3 20for20=
    bonus: AF=8 play= sew=
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3