WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Heather - thank goodness for fans. I've gotten to the point that during the summer, I have one running almost every night whether it's warm or cool and blowing over my hot feet, lol.

Kim - Happy Birthday! So happy to hear you've been picking up jobs - I admire your resilience with the camp closing. You are one of my heroes :)

RE: bra's.... I feel much better wearing one all the time and keeping those not-so-large girls where they used to be and not tickling my ribcage. :D Switched from underwire recently to nice soft lightly padded. Remember those cotton, circular stitched cone-type pointy ones ladies wore when we were kids?

Debbie in Napa Valley - I love your long curly hair!!

Faye - great job on your haircut, by the way! I'm lucky in that I have similar wave, used to try to keep it that short with DH's help but wasn't satisfied with the results as many of you gals have testified, lol. Finally found a gal who did a great job cutting it short-medium but she only had her shop open part time and it was a hassle getting an appointment. So I keep it about the length of Terri's, just grab it when it gets flippy and chop it. Drives me buggy to have a hair in my face so tend to clip it up in the front.

RE: IF - Lisa, glad you've settled into it and seeing results. Last week 17:7 was really easy for me, then had a few bouts with snacking before bed so went down to 14:10. Yesterday, easy again. According to the liar scale I gained a few pounds in July but my honesty pants are loose. It seems some IF followers find this to be the case with "body re-composition" and actually gain weight and lose inches.

Thankfully I don't have a problem with carbs like beans, whole grain breads, fruits, starchy colorful veggies and according to the macro's when I bother to log, they are way out there. I've been going all out on the fruits since they are so good for my immune system. I think back to WW days when I'd carefully measure out fifteen blueberries or cut really healthy foods in half to avoid using up too many points. It's hard not to still think that way. :/

Thinking of you all, skimming but not much time to post it seems. Hugs all around and welcome newbies and returnees. <3

More later. Dogs getting bossy.

Make it a fabulous day!

Lanette
    SW WA State B)
  • farmermariepier
    farmermariepier Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and my weight fluctuates so much. I am post Menopausal (4 years) - during that time I have gained approximately 40 pounds. Covid was difficult for me, I was very anxious, ate a lot and watched a lot of Netflix (without really gaining any weight surprisingly). However, 3 weeks ago I decided that it was enough... First two weeks I quit smoking (I had been smoking only 3 months but still it was hard - I was a smoker 20 years ago), last week I quit diet pepsi (which I could drink 6-7 cans a day) switched to water and I started walking 10k steps a day and log my food in MFP. But my weight went up 4 pounds this week ! After being stuck at 173.8 for 3 months (I am 5"7'), I pulled myself together ans as a result... I am heavier and I have grown in half an inch on my hips and waist. This is so hard. I try to stay motivated but I do feel like it will never happen to me...
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,734 Member
    Options
    Lordy i lost my streak ,not for lack of trying ,my phone wouldnt let me sign in. So i guess its back to square 1, I have 103 posts to read
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,941 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    This coming week ...
    • Work 4 days.
    • Uni on Thursday morning.
    • Assignment 1 due on Friday (so I'm off that day). I'm hoping we can run what we've got so far by the tutor tomorrow (Monday) to ensure we're on the right track. I've been working on my part all weekend, but have yet to see anyone else's parts.
    • Brain Injury Association Peer Group on Tuesday. I'm a committee member of the Association and my husband has a brain injury. These Peer Group meetings seem to be good for him.
    • National Committee Meeting of my cycling group. I'm president and representative of my local state branch. We had our local planning meeting last week so we'll possibly discuss our state's progress with that.
    • Medical appointment - there's at least one each week again! This time it's my husband's MRI.
    • I'm working on another project which I hoped to have completed to a certain point by last Friday. It wasn't so I'm hoping to look at it on Monday evening again.
    • Then, if all goes well, we might go to see our son and daughter-in-law play field hockey on Saturday.

I think that's pretty much everything at the moment. More usually crops up as the week progresses. I miss the shutdown time.

Machka in Oz
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🙂💛🤗💚
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    SuziQ:
    Glad to see you post, sorry things have been crazy! Water inside a house always seems to create far more destruction than is obvious at first. The times I've had to deal with it have always been frustrating and expensive.

Machka:
    looks like your life really is gearing up again there. My sympathies.

@farmermariepier :smile:
    Welcome! Tell us a name you would like us to call you, and general geography, which will help us get to know you. Come back often, and jump into any conversation that intrigues you!

Barbara AHMOD:
    You can do it! Just be willing to pitch whatever you make if it doesn't work... I really like the fact that there are no preservatives/chemicals in the bread, and a controlled amount of salt for husband and sugar for me when I make it myself.

Elliptical is done, sitting here quietly dripping as I cool down. Hot day coming, as was yesterday, but the rain on Friday made me remember how much I love fall - cool, rainy and wonderful in the morning. Of course in the afternoon, it was like trying to breathe in a swamp, but the morning was lovely. Very little rain in the forecast, but then again, dragging hoses around the yard to water the garden and flowers has turned out to be quite useful as far as resistance work goes.

Washer's done, time to get the laundry out on the line and then see what other trouble I can get into. I've learned that, if I get absorbed in working in the yard, it provides serious calorie burn, and makes it soooooo much easier to hold off on my first meal until 11 a.m. or noon. CICO/IF combined is seriously peeling the weight off... or at least, that's what I've decided made the difference between all of July and the first week of August in terms of weight loss. :) Hey, I'm the one living in here, I can decide what works. B)

Corey helped me finally plant my mini-magnolias, and there are a lot more plants to relocate to make way for our circular-ish driveway to be. Might see if I can get a few of those moved. Definitely need to get some trimming done on a number of the trees...

Later, my lovelies,
    Lisa in AR
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,734 Member
    Options
    Well now that i read everything..
    Kim- Happiest of Birthdays to you..
    I dont know what happened to Rebecca
    Talking of staying different places..have slept under the stars and stayed at 4-5 star hotels with Trudy.. but with Tom it was Motel 6 when we traveled anywhere..
    I was reading a story and someone was saying the reason that there husband had an affair is because the wife had let herself go..
    Tom never did tell me and I am the one who divorced him..but I know that was the reason.. Elena is a petite little thing..but sure is a sweetheart.. and if they are happy together God Bless them,we all get along ..
    But I know for a fact at 60 and been through 2 marriages and divorces.. I am done and will live the rest of my life enjoying friends and ,my pup and my kids and grandkids and that's enough for me
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Kylia: I hope you enjoy seeing your dream car. It would be excellent if you are able to own it. :star:

Barbara: I’ll tell Arrow you sent your regards. I am looking forward to my lesson this afternoon. :smiley:

Lanette: Enjoy your time with the dogs. :star:

SuziQ: It is great to see you posting again. I’ve been wondering how things are going for you. :flowerforyou:

Allie: I’m sorry your phone wouldn’t let you sign in. That must be VERY frustrating. My habit is to record food on my phone, and it usually does a great job of posting to MFP. I don’t usually use the phone to visit Women 50+. My laptop and keyboard are MUCH easier to deal with than the phone when I want to communicate with our friends. Is there a chance you can log in and fill in the missing information? :star:

Barbie: Thanks for your reminder about the value of walking. DH & I have recently gone on rambles along the river front. The dog & I walk and DH uses his mobility scooter. It is a great way to get natural vitamin C and have a good time together. The dog and I enjoy the exercise and DH's company. :bigsmile:

I haven’t had a professional haircut since before Covid 19 hit the ground at PDX and SEATAC. I’ve been cutting my own bangs and letting the back go where it will. I blow it dry after every shampoo & it turns out to be wavy. So far, I’m happy with it. I’m currently up a few pounds and I am NOT happy with that. :noway: My knees hurt. It is time to carefully measure portions & count calories until I’m back to the weight where I need to be to keep my knees happy and pain free.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    The length of a novel doesn't matter as long as it doesn't sag in the middle. I used to read sci fi that often had a journey in the middle. There would be one full sentence of plot development in thirty pages of journey; that makes it too long. IMHO.

I just ordered The Gold Coast by Nelson Demille, recommended by a guy I met online. I have high hopes for both!

Annie in Delaware

I read The Gold Coast. It was entertaining.Check out The Cuban Affair, also by Nelson Demille. I really enjoyed that one. Good luck with the new guy and the books!

Tina in CA
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    SuziQ ~ So sorry to hear about the leaks you had to deal with that weren't your fault. During our years here, we have had the basement flooded from the water heater breaking and the flooring in the kitchen and den ruined from a leaking refrigerator. We were lucky that the insurance covered it both times.

Lisa ~ I am glad that the IF eating plus all the exercise is giving you great results. Keep up the good work.

Julie ~ Your instincts were right about the BnB. Enjoy your holiday.

Heather ~ When I see the photos of your beach, I always wonder if all those pebbles are uncomfortable.

Kim ~ So glad to hear that you are finding ways to keep earning money. You are one of the most industrious people around.

Welcome to all the new posters! If you keep coming back, you will feel like you have joined a family!

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,583 Member
    Options
    Ttttt
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,769 Member
    Options
    Barbara - I am fearful of how stressful it will be once we get the board involved, I think it needs done though and pray it will be worth it.

Suzi - nice time see you post, I was wondering about you.

Allie- you can contact MFP and they will reset your streak count. I had to do that a few weeks ago.

I went for pedicures last night with my daughters and my cousins daughter. It was nice, but hard to visit with masks and the way we were seated. We tried to go for coffees after but no place to sit. We ended up going to Marshall’s and all bought ourselves a couple of things.
    The clerk on our way into the store said “ladies we close in 15 minutes” and seemed to not want us to enter. We went to the cashier a minute to nine and between the 4 of us spent close to 200, I’m sure the manager would have agreed it was worth it. In the other hand, I’ve been working closing shift before and completely understand the want to go home.

Today I need to dust and clean, again! I wish there was a cleaning fairy.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,979 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s

Debbie it’s the seeds and their sacs that give me the slimy tomato creeps. Envy you your basil, you can keep the cilantro ;) Did you ever go to any SF conventions in the Bay Area in the ‘70s or early 80’s?

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: better than July.
    daily: steps>5491=5816 vits=9 log=8 CI<CO=7 CI<250<CO=5 Tumble & Shadow 5=6 mfp=8 outside=3 up hill=3
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=3 rx=1 dance=1 clean 30 mins=1-2/3

mnthly: board mtg= grant=1 20for20=
    bonus: AF=6 play= sew=

If you like the flavor of tomatoes(home grown is the best for sure), maybe try a Roma. They are a lot firmer.
    My basil is coming up all over the place- I guess from the ones last year that seeds flew into other pots. Nice that my son likes pesto too- don't know if I would make much if it was just for me.
    I went to a few of the conventions in SF but not until the early 90's when I married current husband. Former was not into that and neither was I. I will go now occasionally but not a huge fan like husband is- He still has most of his comic books from when he was a kid, all kept perfectly(he would buy two copies of every one, one to read and one to keep) then he also inherited his brothers collection(he did the same thing). He has just started selling off some of his duplicates.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Carol GA – that’s exactly what I was thinking of why working at Food Lion would be good for me, being around people. I miss that and this would fill the void (I hope, I would think)

Debbie – One time when I was little I was staying with my aunt who had a garden. How I remember going into the garden with my cousins and picking a tomato still warm from the sunshine and eating it. Please don’t ask me how I lived eating something unwashed…lol Anyway, when I got home I got physically sick I’d eaten so many tomatoes. But that doesn’t stop me from liking them, especially Jersey tomatoes. Have you ever had red okra? I really like it. It isn’t as “slimy” as the green okra

Sunday here: Did Hillard Method Total Body Workout. The plan for tomorrow is to do an RIP Education DVD (this is a new one)

M – yes, Food Lion is a grocery store

Anyone who makes sourdough: do you use yeast in yours? There was a recipe in the paper today that didn’t use it, yet in some of my cookbooks it uses it. I would think that using it would be better, but I don’t know. Also, do you use unbleached flour?

Made fish for us to have later in the week and iced a part of a cake for Jess to take to Iowa. I know she said she likes this icing. The only thing I can think differently is that I used more butter flavoring.

SuziQ – one time we were at Disney World and one of the Clydesdales peed. I swear, that was the highlight of the trip! At least for the kids. Great to see you. Oh, no, thank goodness your neighbors weren’t on vacation!

Allie – don’t sweat over losing your streak. MFP loses mine all the time. It’ll say that I have a one day streak when I know I’ve logged in every day. You know that you have, and that’s what’s important. Speaking of which, I used to get a weekly digest from MFP, I haven’t gotten one in quite a while. Well…no big deal, I never really looked at it anyway. I’m pretty sure there’s a way you can update your days. I think Barbie knows the link

Put weed killer down around the outside of the pool area this morning when it was cooler. Think I’ll go to Michael’s to get some yarn for the towels and then go in the pool

Farmermarie – welcome!

Annalee – welcome back!

Michele NC
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Well now that i read everything..
    Kim- Happiest of Birthdays to you..
    I dont know what happened to Rebecca
    Talking of staying different places..have slept under the stars and stayed at 4-5 star hotels with Trudy.. but with Tom it was Motel 6 when we traveled anywhere..
    I was reading a story and someone was saying the reason that there husband had an affair is because the wife had let herself go..
    Tom never did tell me and I am the one who divorced him..but I know that was the reason.. Elena is a petite little thing..but sure is a sweetheart.. and if they are happy together God Bless them,we all get along ..
    But I know for a fact at 60 and been through 2 marriages and divorces.. I am done and will live the rest of my life enjoying friends and ,my pup and my kids and grandkids and that's enough for me

It took 20 yrs for my Tom to tell me why he left- he was having anger management problems/other mental issues that he didn't know how to deal with and he was really afraid he might really hurt me and couldn't take the chance. Since leaving he has gotten help and apologizes all the time. Getting answers really made a difference.

Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Carol GA – that’s exactly what I was thinking of why working at Food Lion would be good for me, being around people. I miss that and this would fill the void (I hope, I would think)

Debbie – One time when I was little I was staying with my aunt who had a garden. How I remember going into the garden with my cousins and picking a tomato still warm from the sunshine and eating it. Please don’t ask me how I lived eating something unwashed…lol Anyway, when I got home I got physically sick I’d eaten so many tomatoes. But that doesn’t stop me from liking them, especially Jersey tomatoes. Have you ever had red okra? I really like it. It isn’t as “slimy” as the green okra

Sunday here: Did Hillard Method Total Body Workout. The plan for tomorrow is to do an RIP Education DVD (this is a new one)

Michele NC

We always kept a salt shaker in the tool shed that was next to the garden for the tomatoes and cucumbers, never washed them first- ate peppers that we would bite a whole in the bottom of and fill with water and drink the water, eat raw green beans while picking(not my favorite).
    One of my favorite things during the summer was mom inside frying up some of our home grown bacon while we were out in the garden picking tomatoes, pulling a red onion and picking lettuce. Can't get much fresher than that.
    I still love BLT's- but rarely are they that good- haven't raised our own pigs in over 40yrs(since dad had his first heart attack). I miss all the great own grown meat- we raised our own beef, pigs, chickens, rabbits, sheep and goats(goats we milked but sold the young, didn't eat them, same with the sheep). Never had horses but every neighbor around us did- didn't have them because to my dad, there was no use for one. I got spoiled on the steak and things we raised, now I don't care for much of it.
    I haven't tried the red okra yet but think my parents planted some this year and it is on my list to plant next year.
    I need start writing notes of what to change for next year. What to plant more of and what to skip. I don't have a lot of room so need to not waste time/water/space on what doesn't produce enough plus need to cut back my plum tree(a volunteer that is huge now) that shades too many of the pots. We don't get much fruit off of it and the birds damage most of the ones that are on it.

Debbie