WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    ktmusher: Welcome!!! Your goals look well thought out. :flowerforyou:

I decided to dehydrate more chocolate peppermint leaves and they are in the dehydrator now. I plan to add them to my glass jar of dried chocolate mint leaves. I love a dried mint leaf in my coffee. The dried leaves contain mint oil and I can feel it on my lips for a while after I’ve sipped my coffee. Regular water is removed in the dehydrator. I may become addicted to this. :heart: (I think I'm already there.)

Katla in Beauftiful NW Oregon
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Today is Wiggle Your Toes Day!

There's a lot of heavy stuff today but I picked this one because I needed a laugh: "Wiggle Your Toes Day encourages you to give your little piggy toes some exercise. Those ten extremities at the ends of your feet are crying out for a little freedom. Cramped up inside a pair of shoes or sneakers all day long, your stinky toes just don't get the chance to move about freely as they would like to do. Celebrate Wiggle Your Toes Day by airing out your toes, and wiggling them around for all to see. The best place to wiggle your toes on a hot August day, is in the pool. Or, sit on a dock and stick your wiggly little toes in the water."

KetoneKaren - Ouch, your cartoon hit home for me! I have what a friend used to call "National Geographic breasts." Little did I imagine back when I marveled at my great-grandmother's unrestrained boobs hung down to her waist that mine would look like that too one day.

Michelle - I'm lucky to have a stationary bike and a ski machine at home, so I don't have to go to the gym for aerobic work. We have an old Bowflex machine for strength training too, and I was looking forward to getting rid of it when we joined the gym. Unfortunately, our current home doesn't have space for it so it's out in the garage where it is way, way too hot for a workout.

Machka - I love that the Mediterranean food pyramid gives wine a place all on its own!

Lisa - Sounds like you have a healthy mindset about the knee. That kind of pain is likely chronic so it's important to be able to evaluate whether it's OK to ignore it and do your thing or if it's time to take that day off so you don't do more damage. Glad your husband is enjoying his brewing! We've been homebrewers for years, and my brother took up the hobby when he moved to Norway because beer there was so expensive. The only problem now is that I have five gallons of dunkel in the kegerator and nobody can come help us drink it!

Allie - So sorry your town was hit so hard. It's sad to see a place knocked down like that, but it certainly does bring out the strength in a community.

Heather - Oh, the sourdough loaves are beautiful! I'll have to try patterning on my next sourdough loaf! (Oh, and that reminds me, I was supposed to start a loaf of bread this morning for dinner. Guess late is better than never...)

yvonxx - We are neighbors as well as namesakes! I can't make myself get out in the triple digits either.

Personally, I celebrate Wiggle Your Toes Day every day since I'm a barefoot kind of woman!

I shipped out the first box of motorcycle parts yesterday. Now that I've gotten started I'm pretty stoked about the possibility of raising a few bucks and getting the extra bikes out of the yard! But wow, the days when you should ship a box of bricks fourth class for a few bucks are long gone. Will have to take that into consideration as I decide where to list stuff. I have the buyer pay for the actual shipping but I don't want to have to mess with shipping something big like an engine or frame.

Hopefully this will be motivation to continue with the de-cluttering and downsizing efforts. I'd like to sell this house in two to three years, and it'll be easier if we're ready for a smaller space before we're ready to look for one.

-Yvonne in TX
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Homebrewing I made beer for a few years and even joined a brewers club. Each month we took our best beer for others to judge. Mine never even got one vote. It was drinkable but not good. My final batch was going to be my winning beer. I was starting into winemaking with success but wanted to at least get one vote on this final batch. It came out about 8% and was horrid! I took it to the meeting to give to a guy that raised pigs. He could put it over other scraped food to give the pigs a vitamin B boost. I had 24 quarts of it. I was asked by a newcomer where was my beer. I pointed to the 24 quarts and said it was no good and for the host's pigs. He said, "Well let me be the judge of that, may I sample one?" I said, "Sure go ahead." He took a long swig right out of the bottle and said, "Wow, this is the best beer ever, my number one choice, how much do you want for all 24 quarts?" The host told him, by all means, take them as he wasn't sure the pigs would like it. He did and kept on raving about what a great beer it was as he loaded it up. He kept offering me money which I refused. I got my one and only vote for best beer of the month and he left happy and was never seen again.

I did make a killer cutleaf blackberry wine. I introduced it to the club at a pit BBQ I hosted at my mountain cabin and all 6 gallons were gone later that evening. I did have 4 bottles hidden that I drink sparingly until the next season and I kept the next season's stash secret hidden under my cabin. That was the last season as the Forest Service started spraying the cutleaf with toxic spray as they deemed it a nuisance where it grew along remote roads and creeks. I would make wine again, but I seldom drink it. I only gargle before bed with quality brandy to kill any virus that might think Faye is not paying attention. Before anyone asks, yes, I do swallow it to make sure my throat is sanitized.

Faye in
    Gorge ous
    Oregon, USA

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,259 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Bananas - Very disappointing when your accommodation isn't what you had hoped. August in France! :o Everyone wants the same three weeks. I haven't been to Trouville, but I have been to Deauville.
    I have always said I would rather have one night somewhere great than ten nights not so good. I have a good story about The Ritz Hotel in London.
    I used to be a member of a personal growth organisation. One of the tenets was to 'stretch' yourself and do things you might be afraid of. One lovely young couple were getting married. They were really, really poor. Just ordinary kids. They decided for their stretch they would have a night at the Ritz for their honeymoon. The guy went along to book the cheapest room, which was some single thing at the back near the lift. But they were very excited! When they arrived at the hotel after the wedding the management had switched them to the honeymoon suite. :oB):D That really made my day. <3
    I've never stayed at the Ritz, but I have, as part of this same organisation, had breakfast there at 6 am, all dressed in our best finery. I bought a black, sparkly bustier dress from a charity shop and altered it. Wore it with faux pearls and faux diamond drop earrings. One English woman came in a glorious pink sari. One Orthodox Jewish woman came with long false nails and ordered bacon. (Part of the course was to make 'deliberate mistakes!) The dining room is amazing!

I think I would love to stay just one night somewhere fabulous in Paris. Preferably with a swimming pool. I can dream...... B)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    <3
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Bananas - Very disappointing when your accommodation isn't what you had hoped. August in France! :o Everyone wants the same three weeks. I haven't been to Trouville, but I have been to Deauville.
    I have always said I would rather have one night somewhere great than ten nights not so good. I have a good story about The Ritz Hotel in London.
    I used to be a member of a personal growth organisation. One of the tenets was to 'stretch' yourself and do things you might be afraid of. One lovely young couple were getting married. They were really, really poor. Just ordinary kids. They decided for their stretch they would have a night at the Ritz for their honeymoon. The guy went along to book the cheapest room, which was some single thing at the back near the lift. But they were very excited! When they arrived at the hotel after the wedding the management had switched them to the honeymoon suite. :oB):D That really made my day. <3
    I've never stayed at the Ritz, but I have, as part of this same organisation, had breakfast there at 6 am, all dressed in our best finery. I bought a black, sparkly bustier dress from a charity shop and altered it. Wore it with faux pearls and faux diamond drop earrings. One English woman came in a glorious pink sari. One Orthodox Jewish woman came with long false nails and ordered bacon. (Part of the course was to make 'deliberate mistakes!) The dining room is amazing!

I think I would love to stay just one night somewhere fabulous in Paris. Preferably with a swimming pool. I can dream...... B)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

On one trip to London, we decided to splurge and have high tea at the Savoy. It was quite swanky and lovely, but we don't need to do it again.

Tina in CA
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Machka - Your hot flashes sound absolutely horrible. So sorry you're having to cope with that!

Tina in CA
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,880 Member
    Options
    B)
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Debbie in Napa, actually, if you have some good curliness available, short is wonderful. I tried mine long again after my husband died. Back to short wash ‘n wear 2 years later.
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Faye was here!
    a4bkgmoliljz.jpg
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,977 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    trucker743 wrote: »
    Debbie in Napa, actually, if you have some good curliness available, short is wonderful. I tried mine long again after my husband died. Back to short wash ‘n wear 2 years later.

have always had mine long- with the exception of my husband "trimming" it, the only thing I have done is trim the ends no more than an inch at a time- It grows so slow- like it doesn't seem to ever get longer. My hair, now that I know the products to use, is one of the things I do like about myself. I found that Pantene curl activator line of products works great- gives me nice ringlet type curls and no frizz. When dry and curly, it is still past my waste.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,843 Member
    Options
    My dad and uncle used to fish for sturgeon when we lived in Portland about 1955. I remember those huge fish. They did taste good when my aunt cooked them. Later my dad and uncle fished for striped bass near San Francisco Bay. Those were pretty good eating too. Now I live in salmon country.

Annie - Sorry about the damage at the stable. Hope things get fixed up soon.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Machka - Your hot flashes sound absolutely horrible. So sorry you're having to cope with that!

Tina in CA

In 2017 when I was seeing my gynaecologic oncologist for pre-cancer and polyps, he mentioned that if my hot flashes ever got bad enough, I might consider going on a serotonin-based anti-depressant. They weren't too bad then so I waited.

In 2018, when my husband had his accident, the stress triggered them so that they were coming in waves ... dizzy, nausea, feeling like I'm coming down with a bad flu, hot flash, dripping sweat, chills, a short break and then all over again.

That's when I made an appointment to see him again and go onto the serotonin-based anti-depressant.

Now I have a few during the day (maybe 1-3 of them) and an increasing number throughout the evening as it gets closer to my time to take a pill. But at least it isn't all the time!!

Panadol and ginger tablets can also help a bit.

One of the times I would get them really badly was when I was in meetings with doctors and surgeons and everyone caring for my husband. There I would be ... trying to make a point about something ... and I'd be deep breathing trying to control the nausea, then turning beet red and bursting into a massive sweat. Not the cool calm image I wanted to portray! I did have to laugh about it later! :smiley:

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    trucker743 wrote: »

have always had mine long- with the exception of my husband "trimming" it, the only thing I have done is trim the ends no more than an inch at a time- It grows so slow- like it doesn't seem to ever get longer. My hair, now that I know the products to use, is one of the things I do like about myself. I found that Pantene curl activator line of products works great- gives me nice ringlet type curls and no frizz. When dry and curly, it is still past my waste.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

Nice!

Mine is also long like that but just wavy, not really curly.

Machka in Oz

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🌛💛