WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,941 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Jess left. I’m supposed to go to Food Lion at 11:30. I’m guessing they’ll do things like show me where the clock is that you punch in (I already know), where the break room is (I already know), give me the uniform – that sort of stuff

You got the job? Congratulations! How many days each week?

And "clock that you punch in"? What's that?

exermom wrote: »
    Terri – how do you disinfect your towels?

Just read in Consumer Report that you shouldn’t run vinegar thru your washing machine. I always did it to get rid of any musty smell. What does everyone else use? I’m hesitant to use bleach
    Michele NC

I wash my towels in the machine with Eucalyptus detergent and vinegar in the softener cup.

If they're really musty, then I'll put Borax in too.

M in Oz
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    SuzieQ Yes, being a handywoman is great and the story of my life, but so much I need to give up. One is getting under the sink to repair leaky traps shook loose by the garbage disposal. I glued all the coupling last time so no more problems, but if it ever needs replacing, it will have to be sawed off.

I have replaced all my lights with LED. Not only saves on the electric bills, but they last a long time. No explosions and most have plastic bulbs. Electricity doesn't scare me, well other than lightning, because I understand it. One of a few things I actually have a degree. The old incandescent bulbs that were broken were easy to remove. First make sure the switch to the light is off, then don rubber kitchen gloves and take a potato (Russets are ideal) and push it up into the broken bulb. It should then be easily unscrewed and disposed.

Gas scares me because it cannot be controlled like electricity.

I have often thought about moving to an independent living retirement community in Florida.

Faye
    Jill of all Trades
    mistress to none
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,941 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    f7o6rdf1bvmc.png

Finishing an assignment - dopamine
    Playing with Rhody & holding my husband's hand - oxytocin
    Running, walking & cycling - serotonin
    Exercising - endorphin

Machka in Oz
  • Faetta
    Options
    Rebecca Awesome photo of Athena wading in the Columbia! What fun! Another river girl!

Faye
    CR Girl
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,733 Member
    Options
    Well had a post earlier and poof..away it went
    I was up at 5 am ..went to bed at 10..
    I have started a new regime that a friend of mine suggested..it is called Amare it is a vegan organic program that straightens out brain and gut health.. and will get me back on track.. it is something that is doable and will make me feel better and lose weight..
    Something she said to me and really socked me between the eyes is you dont want to have to depend on anyone to take care of you..No i dont . I want to feel.good and be self sufficient all of my life and told my DGD yesterday i want to be around for her wedding.
    No more junk.. no sugar .thats what killed my grandmother she was a sugarholic and died of cancer..
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Katla - I just checked out Bobs Red Mill site about the sourdough starter. Now this is the first time I've ever heard of using potato! Boy, am I confused.

Michele NC
  • Faetta
    Options
    Michele Back in the 70-80's when I made Shepherds dutch oven bread outside in my firepit, I used a potato sourdough starter that the Basque sheepherders of Stanley, Idaho gave me. It also used potato flour along with the wheat. it would really raise the heavy cast iron lid. I wish I had that starter and my old cast iron oven. Memories of the smell and flavor of that fresh-baked bread with liberal amounts of freshly churned goat butter is making me hungry right now. Best I can do is a slice of Oregon Dave's "white bread done right" bread and Oregon Tillamook cow butter.

Faye OR
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    The front porch of the log cabin I built when I lived in the mountains 1980's. I did all the work including felling, skidding, and building. All estrogen power from start to finish. This photo is many years after I sold it. The lady that bought it from me must have taken all my handmade log porch furniture with her when she sold. bgx5euu9a8yn.jpg

Faye - Jill of all Trades
    Ex Mountainwoman

Love it! I probably would have a hard time selling/moving.
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Margaret - Big hug to you.

And, animals seem to know what we need. What a nice walk with Drew.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rebecca: Athena is soooo cute! I’m glad they had a nice day on the river. Today is overcast, so far. :smiley:

Barbara: I only made one snowflake and bought the rest at a Christmas bazaar long ago. There is also a company in the Christmas business that sells them from somewhere in the Midwest. There is a Yule Tide Christmas shop in Cannon Beach, but I don’t remember seeing crocheted snowflakes there. Most items were either blown glass or plastic. Google Christmas Snowflakes and you’ll find lots to look at. There is a youtube video called “How to Crochet a Snowflake.” Let me know what you find. :star: My Christmas stuff is all in an upstairs attic in the garage. I’ll be getting them out in about 5 months. :ohwell: Oriental Trading sells them ready made.

Machka: My neighbor has been making the masks from cotton fabric with a filter in the middle between two layers of fabric. They get the job done very well and are comfortable enough that a person doesn’t mind wearing them when in the stores. A gift shop here in town sells similar ones. I don’t know whether theirs have the filter between the two cotton layers. Customers at the stores are expected to keep effective social distances from others. If they don’t have a mask, the store provides an inexpensive one. :star: I have one at home and another in each car. :star:

SuziQ: Thanks for the good wishes. If the weather cooperates, I’ll get to go on a trail ride on Sunday. I don’t wear a mask while riding, but we have LOADS of social distance. The Lone Ranger’s mask wouldn’t help at all in the current world. Just covering your eyes with a mask that has eyeholes doesn’t work. It turns out that the bad guys who wear bandanas to cover their mouth & nose would would be more likely to be welcomed at the grocery store than the Lone Ranger. Who would have ever guessed? Your frogs are cute. :bigsmile:

Karen: “Arkansas Woman Found On Laundry Room Floor Dead From The Vapors””. :ohwell: Actually Bleach & ammonia combined would be dangerous & possibly deadly. I hope nobody tries it. :noway:

Machka: We have air conditioned everything—house cars & RV. House and cars are getting a workout. RV is in the storage unit waiting for us to use it. DH hasn’t been feeling well enough. :ohwell:

Regarding the Scotland train wreck: Several years ago an Amtrak train derailed in Western WA. It was horrible and there were many deaths. As I remember it, the engineer didn’t slow down for a tight turn on a freeway over pass. I am so sorry for the families of those in Scotland who are now facing losses. :broken_heart:

Heather: I hope the optician can fix your DH’s glasses. :star: I’m happy that you have running water in a situation where some have none. :flowerforyou:

(((Margaret))) : The flowers are beautiful. :heart:

Good wishes to all. I’ve used my 'me' time to visit here, and now I need to serve breakfast to DH.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon[/]

• Faetta
    Options
    Margaret My heart hurts for you. I love the photos of the meadow (prairie path) and it does look like a place of comfort. Is there ever any wildlife there?