WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    3a1lu5o8ucr7.png

It does help.

I've found that when I'm faced with something big to do, like an assignment or project, I will put it off because it just seems so big.

But if I sit down and start, it's OK. I can at least get it organised into small manageable steps and get going on it.

M in Oz
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,287 Member
    Options
    Debbie - I love that tree! Such a fun thing to do for someone in a nursing home/assisted living facility with no floor space. I want to make a framed flat tree that I will put family jewelry on. My Aunt made one many years ago for my mother, but she says she doesn't have it anymore. She went through a period when she married her current husband that they threw away all kinds of things he didn't feel were important. Thank goodness I rescued the family photo albums. They were all headed for the garbage.

Machka - Chances are I will decorate for Christmas way earlier than normal this year. Since I am home all the time, I might as well decorate and enjoy it. I will probably put up most of my decorations this year since we will be home on Christmas day. Normally we go to NYC for the holiday, but this year, we won't.

Tracey - I love that tree! So pretty!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,287 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    3a1lu5o8ucr7.png

It does help.

I've found that when I'm faced with something big to do, like an assignment or project, I will put it off because it just seems so big.

But if I sit down and start, it's OK. I can at least get it organised into small manageable steps and get going on it.

M in Oz

Timely for me. When Hurricane Ike went through the Houston area we lost two 75+ year old Oak trees. When our tree guy cut them up for us, he left me a nice big slice. Hubs was going to make a table out of it for the front porch. Hub bought the legs for the table, but ended up putting a piece of mdf on it for immediate use. Fast forward to last weekend when I spruced up the porch and asked him if he could work on the table sometime soon. He did on Sunday, and had it done (except for the two coats of oil that needed time to sink in) in less than an hour. How long did it take him to finally do the project, one move and almost 12 years. Hurricane Ike was in September 2008!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    I needed to move so ended last post quickly.
    You ladies inspire me! I am not as adventurous. Maybe something I need to address......fear?time?husband needs? Really not sure why. We lead a fairly quiet life. My biggest adventure lately was taking a road without a map while in Pigeon Forge to see where it went. That was wonderful! Would have been nice in a car vs the truck as the road was narrow, but found some beautiful spots. I wonder if we can find it again this year? My husband has always liked routine, but even more so since losing his sight.

Hugs for comfort to all for major and minor struggles!
    High fives to all the projects getting done or started!
    Love to all! We are such STRONG, KNOWLEDGEABLE, CARING, and INDUSTRIOUS WOMEN!

Kylia in Ohio where Fall feels like it is peeking around the corner
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    My project for next couple of days is figuring out what to do with all the zucchini, squash, and cucumbers I have been given
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Bragging about not having hot flashes for several months on this thread is not recommended. Last night I saw the devil, red guy with horns and white-hot flames jetting from his three-prong pitchfork. It was a lava flow, a real doozie.

The first thing I did was check my breath. It was great. The second was checking my temp. It was normal. China SARS2/Covid19/20 ruled out. A quick check for mosquito bites ruled out West Nile virus. A hot flash it was so no reason to call 911.

It was probably a result of my not walking yesterday. It rained all morning so I decided to wait till afternoon, then my friend called to say that my preferred walking area for afternoon walks was being sprayed to control the West Nile virus outbreak. My morning walking area gets way to busy in the afternoon and wearing a mask while walking for exercise, doesn't work for me.

This morning I will walk, no excuses.

Faye
    PNW
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,336 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday (here) ladies! <3

All this talk of Christmas is fun! Plus the fact that it's 42 outside right now. Expecting to see the high 90's by Sunday afternoon.

Allie - when you posted about the whopping upcoming condo expenses, I immediately thought similar about what Katla said regarding the HOA fees going toward maintenance and replacement of the common structures and areas. How many units are there in the complex? The 9 houses in our little subdivision pay a measly amount each year for joint upkeep of our common paved road - last year the we homeowners decided to spend the money to have it patched and resurfaced and it nearly wiped out the account. We have the option of upping the monthly fees (filing a new CC&R) or bracing ourselves for a big hit, probably over $1000 ea or more in a few years.

Tracey - gosh, your boss is really having a meltdown. What a tough situation when they refuse or cannot realize the toll their anger and confusion is having. Lack of sleep can cause this too in my experience. That might be a topic to bring up with her some day if she feels chatty. It would probably do her a lot of good to "vent" about something like that if it's something she's experiencing. Just an idea. ;) Maybe it's been tried already. ((HUGS))

Margaret - what a nice service for your son. So glad Drew came into your life. Your prairie walk is wonderful. <3

Barbara - Tammie the groomer told me through the car window that brushing is easy, just hold their lip up and go back and forth. OK.... what about then they jerk heads and try to chew the brush, right? And what about if you're right handed? Hard for me to do both sides of their little mouths since I'm not ambidextrous. I wish she could have shown me and then let me do it and answer my questions. I'm going to see if there's something on Youtube about how to brush teeth on a squirmy dog.

Michele - please tell us more about your job the Food Lion. You probably already said and I skipped over it.

Faye - I hope you are keeping good notes about your life story. You are such a "woman of the west", part pioneer I think. Love the photos of your cabin and she-shed. I know you said you're not a writer but you've got me fooled.

So many of you ladies here have led such interesting lives! Always fun to read about them!

Barbie- how's Bessie? I'm thinking of you right now. Old dog Sophie having tummy troubles this morning - no mess in the house but spending a lot of time outside eating grass, no appetite. Sigh. Seems like it's every other day. She's outside right now. I'll have her swallow 1/4 tab of Pepcid AC when she comes in, that seems to help. Generally that's all it takes and she'll be wolfing breakfast in a couple hours. She's not losing weight and otherwise seems healthy.

OK ladies, make it a fabulous day! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    👋
    Debby in Va
  • Machka9
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Not depressing - losing 11 pounds in 12 days was starting to get a little worrisome. While still celebrating it. Adulthood is, apparently, holding two conflicting ideas in your head at the same time. From "Whee! I'm losing so much weight," to "Oh, holy guacamole, what if my liver or some other organ is about to drop right out of my behind, and THAT's why I'm losing weight."

Seriously. Adulthood is just stupid.

Later y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa

zngydggtp1s1.png

And I've got a large bruise on my abdomen that I just noticed yesterday ... no idea where it came from. You would have thought I would have noticed if I had walked into something.

Ah ... adulthood.

M in Oz

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Kylia Cut those zucchinis up lengthwise coat with olive oil season to taste and grill them.

Lanette I once had a website with much of my life story, but after it being hacked several times and my ID getting stole and the host raising their prices, I deleted it. I decided just to share on threads like this and I love this one because it is all women and fitness-oriented. I have shared on a couple of senior forums but was met with some very hateful comments from women and men that wanted to chat and talk sex. A few always doubted my stories and didn't understand my sense of humor, so I got off those places. I had started a book but decided it was way to much work and very few would read it. I have submitted articles to magazines, but they weren't interested.

M in Oz That sums up female adulthood nicely. This is why I am trying to become a teen again.

Lisa the '90s and humid swampy have me feeling bad for you. Nice cool morning here so I have no weather excuses for wasting the day.

Faye
    PNW
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    B)
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Faye - no worries on the heat and the swamp. I lived in Oregon (Coos Bay) for three years, and it was damp, cold and dark throughout the vast majority of all three of them. It was so incredibly beautiful... but by the time I left, every joint ached so badly from the cold and damp that I felt 20 years older, and that was with the highest dose of anti-inflammatories that I could safely take. I'm fine in the warm--I hurt a whole lot less.

Lisa in AR
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,914 Member
    Options
    :) We've made life simple for ourselves by refusing to go to any gatherings. We go to the grocery store every few weeks, Costco less often, and Walgreens on occasion. We talk to one person at a time outdoors at a distance. The answer to any invitation to get together socially is "no, thank you."

:) Both dogs are doing well. Sasha is showing signs of age. The will both go for yearly check ups at the vet in November.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Machka9
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Faye - no worries on the heat and the swamp. I lived in Oregon (Coos Bay) for three years, and it was damp, cold and dark throughout the vast majority of all three of them. It was so incredibly beautiful... but by the time I left, every joint ached so badly from the cold and damp that I felt 20 years older, and that was with the highest dose of anti-inflammatories that I could safely take. I'm fine in the warm--I hurt a whole lot less.

Lisa in AR

Me too! I ache in the cold.

One of the many reasons I left Canada (the prairies) was because of the long winters.
    I moved to a part of the state of Victoria, Australia which had great summers and lovely autumns, but it was close enough to the mountains that the winters would be 3 months of chilly, damp fog ... or rain ... or some combination of the two.
    So then we moved here to Tasmania where I find it chilly 11 months of the year! We get something I'd call "summer" for a day or two at a time here and there in January and February ... and maybe if we're lucky at Christmas.

My hands and feet, in particular, hurt. I've got arthritis in my feet and I think it's coming on in my hands too. Or maybe it is just the cold. But put me in temps above 25C (77F) and I relax and feel so much better. Pity those temps are so rare here.

And that's one of the of the many reasons I'd like to move back to Canada ... to the BC area where they've got real summers! One day ... maybe ...

t0brx05t69fd.png

M in Oz