WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,065 Member
    Options
    Wow Beth! So glad your son will be home with you, getting good care. Good thing you caught this as early as you did.

Annie in Delaware
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,979 Member
    Options
    Margaret- Big hugs to you! The quilt on the coffin, and the flowers all around were beautiful. 💖

Thanks ladies for the compliments on my salad. I made some refrigerator pickles and boy they're strong. A bit too much vinegar! I love the taste of beets though. I bought those. I think my taste buds love combinations. So biting a fork full of blue cheese, spinach, and a pickled beet. I just love it. Today I am going to use some homemade spaghetti sauce I made on my little pizzas. Then sauteed kielbasa sausage slices and sweet onions. Putting a spoonful of my olive brushcetta sauce because its just yummy. Maybe dice some spinach leaves too. Then mozzarella shredded cheese on top. Its just heaven on my firmed up street taco tortillas.💖
    My last week's version:
    033cboqytlai.jpg
    I used diced tomatoes instead of spaghetti sauce though.

Well I have about 5 pen pals that need to be written to, but I have no gumption to write them just now. I do tend to let the letters I receive "marinate" on my desk a bit. I don't want to seem too desperate for communication. Never do I write the same day I get them. That's just ludicrous!😁to

NOST4A2 series on AMC channel is so darn exciting! Its scary, and so unsettling! Its on Sundays at 10 pm.... If you like scary stuff!

Card is up with the others from past birthdays. Looks nice.

5mooult5lwrg.jpg
    The recent card is the top one, happy birthday written in sushi.💖
    💖Rebecca

have you tried using seasoned rice vinegar and a splash of mirin in your pickles? I have been using that in my cucumbers(sometimes add a drizzle of sesame oil and furikake right before we eat). The rice vinegar is so much more mild. Regular white vinegar tends to be too strong for me, actually feels like a mild asthma attack after eating something with too much vinegar. I am surprised at how much my husband and mother in law like them this way- a little different than mom made but close(she only used white vinegar, once in a while red wine vinegar)
    I will be making more tonight as the cucumbers are still producing nicely.
    Love the idea of pen pals. I used to love writing real letters to friends and wait to hear back- long before emails were thought of

Debbie
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,262 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, Beth. Just terrible. Terrible. So sorry. Glad you are livid enough to fight. <3

Faye - My Wow referred to the cabin you built. I hadn't read the sad story of your neighbours. :s

Well it's official. The longest heatwave for 60 years. 6 days of over 93.2° F. Inside it is 86° at 7 pm.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,065 Member
    Options
    My new laptop arrived! Now to find the courage to set it up. These things intimidate me! A friend is coming tomorrow to help transfer data off the old laptop. Hope it all works. Hope I can find all the passwords I need.

Annie in Delaware
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,979 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Margaret ... thank you for sharing your photos. You continue to be in my prayers...

Well, my day at the dentist was just the pre-show for a really lousy day. Long story. Involves my older, disabled son.
    After getting home from the dentist and feeling a little sorry for myself, my husband and I went for an ice cream cone. No sooner had I licked the last bit, when I received a phone call from an aide at my son's home. Those unfamiliar with my situation: My son is physically disabled, intelligent/but tends to acquiesce easily, trying to find a living situation where his physical needs are met. While he used to live independently, within the last year he has been in a "group home" of only 3 people. Traded autonomy for guaranteed care.

Anyways, we were informed by a distraught and crying aide that my son had choked, paramedics had been called, and he was being taken by ambulance to ER ... would we meet him there? Of course. It was a debacle. Covid precautions meant that initially we weren't allowed to be with him. He was alone. Breathing but choking on secretions, unable to explain his condition. Not understanding his situation but recognizing that there were preexisting concerns, physicians waited on treatment and son's oxygen levels dropped. He was taken to ICU and put on a ventilator to stabilize him. We were not allowed to be with him.

Yesterday we gave consent for a GI to perform a scope. He was able to retrieve hard meat that was at the base of his esophagus in a dangerous place. Unable to stretch the esophagus due to son's anatomy and scaring in the esophagus (result of 8 weeks vented in NICU due to prematurity). Doctor wanted to put in a permanent g-tube and commit him to a liquid diet. Seems a little aggressive. He was eating pizza and chicken with me at home two weeks ago. We said no. We agreed to put him on a pureed diet instead. We will get second opinions. Healthcare in Buffalo is generally crappy. After weaning him off the ventilator, we were finally allowed to stay with him for 4 hours ... covid precautions again. My son has allergies. No one knew! Alert bracelets were put on immediately. We discovered the information sent with him was not just out of date, but incredibly inaccurate to begin with. It would have been funny except it could have been deadly. I found documents in a binder regarding medications of all things that weren't even my son's! Come to find out that aide on shift was new to my son had not been trained on his specifics, gave him a dinner that was overcooked and cut incorrectly for his disability. (He remained silent because he didn't want to upset her?!) We found evidence of neglect. He'd only been back from staying with us due to Covid for one week. One week and he was showing signs of neglect.

Today they wanted him to stand up and sit in a regular chair! Holy Moly! He's completely dependent on a motorized wheelchair and does not have ambulation skills. I'm allowed back in at 2:00. We've asked that his doctor meet with us immediately. Why don't they know these things? One ... Covid is preventing me from staying with him and advocating on his behalf. Two ... the documentation that came with him from the house is utter nonsense and not worth the paper it is printed on. Nothing of value for the hospital.

We are livid. Investigations have been initiated by the agency (scapegoating the aide), but we are filing a formal complaint and launching a state audit against the agency. My son will be discharged to my care and he will not return to the group home until appropriate safety and care can be guaranteed. And that may not happen at all.

Thank you for letting me rant.

Beth near Buffalo

Beth- I am so sorry to hear all you and your son had to go through- that is crazy. I hope you find a perfect fit for him. Either they fix the problems where he is at or another place that will be better for him
    Debbie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele: Bob’s Redmill is amazing. We are regular customers and use Bob’s flours in our sourdough. I looked online & see they have directions for Goldrush Sourdough Starter and they sell a ½ ounce packet of starter. Good luck!!!!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    (((Beth ))) how frustrating. I know the need to speak up in the system. So often it fails us.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    Margaret My heart hurts for you. I love the photos of the meadow (prairie path) and it does look like a place of comfort. Is there ever any wildlife there?

Yes I do need to be on the watch for coyote, fox, eagles. We didn't see any on our walk. Sons went to Elementary school that is close by. At that time it was an environmental magnet. A perfect setting. Our area has 880 acreas of park surrounding our neighborhood. Glad we got out now it is raining.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,582 Member
    Options
    Good early morning ladies!

Barbara - crossing fingers Joe's surgery goes without a hitch and the cooties have stayed far away. Wouldn't it be great if a good vaccine is available sooner than later and by next year this time we can reminisce about how strange 2020 was? Here's a giggle:
    pemj3sd88oo5.jpg

Machka - that's right, your days are getting longer! I keep track of day length and we lost 20 minutes of daylight just this past week.

Tracey
    - sounds like the boss is approaching mental breakdown if she's not there already. You are so good at your job, I sure hope she moves on so you can remain there and keep enjoying it without having to constantly duck under the radar. Glad you've been able to spend time with the grands and Rodger is back to work for a while.

Terri - love your hair! You have inspired me to go longer and hope mine turns out even a fraction as neat as yours.

Barbie - I forgot to mention that T-shirt (and you) are looking very good! Your longer locks are becoming as well.

We are a smart-looking bunch!

Karen in VA - happy retirement from the salt mine :) So glad you were able to pick up the tele-medicine job to keep you in pin money, :D .

Rebecca - loved the photo of your dad, your salad, the birthday doin's for oldest son, and the always adorable photos of Athena. <3

Pip - Happy to hear you and Kirby are settling in. How's he liking the heat? And geeze, sorry to see you hit the pavement again. You are too far away for us PNW gals to kiss your owies. California girls, gear up! Pip's in town!

Update on dog teeth:
    So the pups went to the groomer yesterday and Tammie took a look at Rosie's teeth and said "I can get most of that plaque off". Holy smokes, I'll say.They are now pearly white and I don't see any evidence of gum retraction/disease. Tammie must have really went to town with brushing - Rosie ate gingerly last night, I gave her a CBD treat and she conked right out. Still doesn't solve the mystery of front teeth falling out. Tammie said she's seen that before.... in schnauzers :( Old Sophie the schnoodle's teeth are much cleaner too, I'd say 80% of her plaque is history. The trick will be keeping them that way on these pups.

Anyhow, it will be interesting to see what the Vet says when Rosie goes in to see her next week.

I've found a new TV series on Prime to binge on: The Republic of Doyle set in Newfoundland. Like it a lot!

RE Dishcloths - I don't use them, they turn sour too quickly. I'm a kitchen sponge girl and work some bleach cleanup through it every day or two. When it gets too shabby it goes into the box for the cleaner.

Machka - I do like the idea of using those wipes you have for sopping up messes and wiping the counter tho, will see if I can find some around here. Neat that they come on a roll.

So I don't knit-crochet any dishcloths. But I do like to kill time crocheting potholders. I found skeins of variegated yarn on sale years ago and it's always fun to see how the patterns turn out.

Going to be doing some cooking in the next couple days so I don't have to heat the kitchen this weekend when we'll see the mid-90's. Lentil soup today, and meatloaf tomorrow. I have some blue/purple? potatoes I want to cook as well - I put potting soil in a half whiskey barrel, stuck in some of those seed potatoes and actually dug a fair amount of potatoes last week. Trying to think of ways to prepare them where they won't lose their color.

OK peeps, going to close for now.

Make it a fabulous day!

Lanette B)
    Chilly (46) SW WA State where temps will likely dip into the low 40's tomorrow morning.

I am loving the heat! Triple digits all week. Yogi stays home midday cuz of the heat. We run in the morning and take him for a short walk and and let him run in the evening.

COKE RUST REMOVAL:
    I heard about it awhile ago but never tried it. You use foil and some coke or Diet Coke, Diet Coke is less sticky. U put some on your foil and rub. I sound that was hard to do so I get a clean sponge and put some coke in a bowl and would soak the sponge ( only cut the sponge and used a third of it). I would soak the area then rubbed with the foil. U will see black stuff cone off. Buff it dry with a soft towel and BAM!!!!
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Rebecca: Athena is soooo cute! I’m glad they had a nice day on the river. Today is overcast, so far. :smiley:

Barbara: I only made one snowflake and bought the rest at a Christmas bazaar long ago. There is also a company in the Christmas business that sells them from somewhere in the Midwest. There is a Yule Tide Christmas shop in Cannon Beach, but I don’t remember seeing crocheted snowflakes there. Most items were either blown glass or plastic. Google Christmas Snowflakes and you’ll find lots to look at. There is a youtube video called “How to Crochet a Snowflake.” Let me know what you find. :star: My Christmas stuff is all in an upstairs attic in the garage. I’ll be getting them out in about 5 months. :ohwell: Oriental Trading sells them ready made.

[

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon[/]

Is there a reason you don’t decorate for Christmas until mid-January?

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Beth - OMG - I would be livid! I just do not understand how these homes continue to operate.

And, where they find the people that work in them. But, like many places (my work place included) all are about the mighty dollar and hire at the cheapest rate available so they get what they pay for....it's sad but so true!

Sending prayers, positive thoughts, and strength to you!
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    My new laptop arrived! Now to find the courage to set it up. These things intimidate me! A friend is coming tomorrow to help transfer data off the old laptop. Hope it all works. Hope I can find all the passwords I need.

Annie in Delaware

Annie - They are so easy now. And, remember if you need to search something while setting up you can search on your phone. When my phone went bust it took me a little bit but was able to download everything from my old phone. Now storing all non-confidential stuff in the cloud and my external drive. I never want to go through that again.

Have fun with your new toy!
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Beth - That is horrible! I’m glad he should be OK. Hugs!

Margaret - The quilt and flowers were beautiful. Hugs!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele: I had a computer glitch. Sorry about that. I would recommend that you order a couple of packets of Bob's Redmill sourdough starter and follow their directions. Use the first packet to start your sourdough and have the second on standby in case you need it. I have given starts of my sourdough to my own adult children, & "smuggled" the live culture across the country with my DS and with me when I went to visit DD last fall. I carried mine in my jacket pocket. Neither of us will be flying in the foreseeable future.

Katla
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Faye - I think I would have moved too. Sorry some as--ole ruined your paradise! Such a very sad story.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Beth
    Holy crapapalooza, Batwoman. Like your son doesn't have enough to deal with--I'm glad he made it through OK. Time to kick butt and take names, Mama Bear. I know it's not the first time to go into this slugfest...