GF issues w/ the gym/ fitness

Options

Replies

• saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    If you want to salvage the relationship, I suggest helping to build her self-esteem. She may feel like she is playing out of her league by dating you, and is unconsciously sabotaging it. If so, her issue is not with they gym and fitness, it is you rising ever farther out of her reach (perceived or otherwise). This is a rather frequent issue for women who went through an "ugly-duckling" phase, and haven't figured out that they are pretty. Society has a really big hangup on women's physical beauty, and it causes crippling insecurities.

Having a poor self-image is not an excuse to mistreat people.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I stopped reading after "you girls".... Not a fan of generalizations.
  • glheureux56
    Options
    I have a membership that includes a guest. I was offering to take my wife (because I spend a lot of time there -- and that way we would at least be together). I finally got told "Are you trying to tell me that I need to go to the gym?" Noooooooo. But she doesnt mind either when I go.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend was the same, HATES hearing about me talking about gym and the fact I gym most of the week etc... I told her I'm never going to stop, nothing will make me stop. It's what keeps me sane and gives me 'ME' time.

What else I have done is stopped mentioning gym, diet and fitness around her so much.. She probably just has no interest in it, but each to their own, I still love her, just keep gym etc to yourself maybe and she'll lay off :)
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    There are lots of good girls out there like this, but not all of us look like a supermodel. And unfortunately a lot of guys out there would rather deal with crazy personalities but be banging said supermodel chick than get to know an awesome average looking girl.

I'd love to see some example of these guy/supermodel couples. I've never even met supermodel, let alone banged one.

Where are they all???

They must be hiding from me. I don't blame them.
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    If it were someone that truly cared about you she would love all things about you regardless.

This......

My husband works out 6 days a week..... When I know he is at the gym I txt him "kill it today baby" She obviously has insecurity issues and thinks by you taking care of yourself and looking good, you may not want to be with her....... There are men like this too. If she really cared, she would support you no matter what........

This is not all girls at all..... your girl however sounds like a different story.......

I say break up and KILL IT AT THE GYM!!! *fist bump***
  • dazzer1975
    dazzer1975 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    There are lots of good girls out there like this, but not all of us look like a supermodel. And unfortunately a lot of guys out there would rather deal with crazy personalities but be banging said supermodel chick than get to know an awesome average looking girl.

I'd love to see some example of these guy/supermodel couples. I've never even met supermodel, let alone banged one.

Where are they all???

They must be hiding from me. I don't blame them.

LMAO you made me lol dude.

I agree though, I want me a supermodel to "bang" lol
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    She sounds awesome.
  • dazzer1975
    dazzer1975 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

My husband works out 6 days a week..... When I know he is at the gym I txt him "kill it today baby" She obviously has insecurity issues and thinks by you taking care of yourself and looking good, you may not want to be with her....... There are men like this too. If she really cared, she would support you no matter what........

This is not all girls at all..... your girl however sounds like a different story.......

I say break up and KILL IT AT THE GYM!!! *fist bump***

Now THAT is the kind of woman you want OP!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Why did you say, "You guys," when you are clearly talking about people not in this community?
  • ssweet169
    Options
    That's not girls... That's your girl.

Just break up.

/thread.

I totally agree. That is not a normal girls outlook but just your girlfriends. Maybe she is self-conscious and since she is not that big into working out she is mad that you have the motivation to go and she doesn't.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Dump her and start "working out" with one of the smart women at the gym.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

Just break up.

/thread.

I've got to admit I'm in this camp too. Sorry dude.

My husband doesn't work out nearly as much as I do, but he eats kind of the same and isn't bothered when we eat/do different things. If you're starting out this far apart on something like this, it's unlikely you'll grow closer on it. So you just have to decide if you can put up with it. Honestly, it may not be worth bothering. You did call her your "current girlfriend", no? Pick a new one.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

Just break up.

/thread.

^^ this
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Possibly see's it as a threat. That you might meet someone else etc..
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    There is a reason she is the GF....
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If I were to speculate, I would guess that she feels guilty and ashamed of her own behavior, which is why she discourages yours.

I believe that most people know that they SHOULD go to the gym and workout, but they have a million excuses why they can't. When others prove all their excuses wrong by actually finding the time, motivation and discipline to go to the gym on a regular basis, it invalidates their excuses and makes them feel bad about themselves. Instead of finding those qualities in themselves, it's easier for them to discourage the person who is making them feel uncomfortable by demonstrating healthy behavior.

This is also true for couples who used to eat a lot of unhealthy food together -- when one starts eating healthy, the unhealthy partner is left to feel guilty and ashamed all alone. Misery loves company, and if someone else is doing "it" (whatever it may be), it makes it less shameful and more enjoyable.

I don't think this girl is 'the one" for you. It doesn't sound like she values your lifestyle choices. If you choose to stay with her, you'll constantly face her derision, or worse, she'll slowly erode all the progress you've made and you'll end up back where you were when you started -- unhealthy and miserable, but with a happier girlfriend. Keep looking until you find someone who supports the things that are important to you.
  • tbeartech
    Options
    Some people in general have issues when you dedicate your time and energy to a healthy lifestyle. From what you said it does not impact her time with you. I would be curious as to what she says when she gets upset with you. Here is a link to a blog on the way other people can negatively affect you... and how to disarm them.
    http://muffin-topless.com/2013/06/20/howtodealwithnegativepeople/
    Take Care and don't stop striving to be healthy.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    You need to find a girl that fits you macros :glasses:
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Just break up.

/thread.

Yep.