Have you become one of those preachy people?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    So, do you find yourself giving advice and preaching to people about their eating/exercise habits?

Nope, I view dieting like I view abortion.

Their body, their choice, my opinions are not relevant.

I like you.

I cook too. ;)

dbmata, will you please accept this rose? :flowerforyou:

I had a cocktail once with a candied rose in it, was delicious. ;) and yes.
  • dbmata
    Options
    So, do you find yourself giving advice and preaching to people about their eating/exercise habits?

Nope, I view dieting like I view abortion.

Their body, their choice, my opinions are not relevant.

I like you.

I cook too. ;)

And from the looks of your PP, you like to shoot. I think I like you too :love:

Occasionally I shoot well. Those new ear pro are awesome, they have a mic. :)
  • MsWallwoman
    Options
    I don't judge others. What works for me doesn't mean it works for others. What works for the. Might not work for me. Maybe for me the Cheetos are not a good choice, but maybe for her they are ok. Just because I feel I am on the road to a healthy lifestyle doesn't mean I have the right to judge other, nor does it mean I know everything. I do my best to offer encouragement not advice. :blushing:
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I hate when people observe my lunch and say to me "Your a good girl - your eating salad".. NOOO I am NOT a good girl because i am eating salad. now i have to be worried whenever such people come by and start judging if i am eating something they consider fattening.

now, my bff does that a bit and it bugs me, though i know he means well.. but he doesn't know what i can do. i.e. i wanted a bowl of cereal the other night, i was starving. he started teasing me about the cereal and i got so adamant that i said I'm starving but i wont eat this because you will make comments. so i starved that evening (the reason i dont want to go to sleep starving is because i will wake up really starving and that is not good).

so i dont like when other people who dont know what im doing, give unsolicited comments (I'm not talking about each other here on MPF). because people will say oh no carbs before bedtime, or other things,,, but i know what i can eat, and i dont want people judging me... i get resentful.

so thats my comments about people preaching to me. they might mean well but if im doing without my comfort food that day in order to save some calories i might be crabby and i dont want to be a ***** to the comment that might be the last straw.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    If people ask, I'm more than willing to discuss and advise. I would never tell someone not to eat cheetos though...that's just blasphemy. Note that you can get your nutrition on and get your fitness on and be a rockin' individual and still eat some cheetos from time to time.

For the record I don't disagree with you, but seriously, is there an organized clandestine group on this message board with a determined mission to start a "you can eat whatever you want debate" in every thread?

Again - I don't disagree....not trying to start a **** storm...just getting annoyed at the same conversation in every thread.

Yes....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzqwx6L7JHzVHB-XOPFg5osni9a8oShPlBpVA1ibfqcdhcj5I4lA

...our mission is to combat the dieting majority who think you have to suck on celery sticks and substitute everything delicious with cauliflower to be healthy and fit.

its funny because you guys are so preachy about it on here.
  • Mayada32
    Mayada32 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Well whenever my husband or my boy complain from their bellies or when they ask " why do we get colds and flues and u don't ?", I tell them it's all bcz of snacking on fruits rich in Vitamin C , I luv strawberries , orange and kiwis .. sure I have always over-ate and didn't exercise regularly as I should and now I'm obese but at least I try .. they never snack on fruit and they hate salad .. It is my boy who I fear the most of turning into an overweight teen bcz of his luv of fast food and treats ..sometimes I can't help it .. I have to say something ...Uh it's complicated
  • Mayada32
    Mayada32 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't judge anyone for anything but I luv to encourage and b encouraged .. It breaks my heart when my son's school mates teased him about being unfit and ranked one of the lasts in the Cross Country race the other day:brokenheart: ..he is only 10 yrs .. I feel it was my fault he is overweight .. I am not giving him a good role model he can look up to , but from now on , this will change and we will all do our best to be the fit and healthy family instead of the " need to go on diet quickly " family as our family doctor once told us ..
  • irvisscott
    irvisscott Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I get asked a lot about how I am losing weight 9 32 lbs in 3 months) and will tell people about MFP, explain logging , keeping calories in check and eating decent food 95% of the time. I know a few who keep complaining to me about not eating anything and still not losing. I gave up on preaching to them and on the rare occasion we have donuts around I just use one of my splurges and grab the biggest cinnamon roll in the box in front of them and smile and enjoy. Hopefully that gets the message across more clearly that starving yourself isnt the way to go.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    No I don't tell people they are making bad food choices. Cuz I don't carry around a dexa scanner and don't know what their BF is. Maybe they are closer to a healthy weight than they look like. Or maybe they have a **** load of calories left in their day and it's really hard to meet your calorie goal munching on carrots and celery. Maybe they only want to lose half a pound a week, well guess what you don't have to make crazy calorie cuts to lose a half a pound a week.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Ever since I successfully lost some weight, several people at the office have come to me and ask how I did it. If they share that they're also making the same journey I would get preachy at times, but rarely. I completely shut my mouth toward those who show no interest in getting healthier.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If people ask, I'm more than willing to discuss and advise. I would never tell someone not to eat cheetos though...that's just blasphemy. Note that you can get your nutrition on and get your fitness on and be a rockin' individual and still eat some cheetos from time to time.

For the record I don't disagree with you, but seriously, is there an organized clandestine group on this message board with a determined mission to start a "you can eat whatever you want debate" in every thread?

Again - I don't disagree....not trying to start a **** storm...just getting annoyed at the same conversation in every thread.

Yes....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzqwx6L7JHzVHB-XOPFg5osni9a8oShPlBpVA1ibfqcdhcj5I4lA

...our mission is to combat the dieting majority who think you have to suck on celery sticks and substitute everything delicious with cauliflower to be healthy and fit.

its funny because you guys are so preachy about it on here.

Duh, that's kind of the point. Sheesh, do you even get how clandestine groups work?

37535246.jpg
  • kf5ljp
    kf5ljp Posts: 31
    Options
    Let them eat it,,,when your slim and trim and they aren't just smile and walk away
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Duh, that's kind of the point. Sheesh, do you even get how clandestine groups work?

37535246.jpg

When you say clandestine I think.. secret? not hypocritical. you know, like telling someone she's a jerk for wanting to preach about food choices, while yelling at her about how you should eat all the cheetos in the world. that kind of hypocritical.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Cut her some slack she didn't tell her not to eat them, just wanted too!!!

I get that urge to say something too sometimes, but unless they ask or bring it up I don't say anything...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

37535246.jpg

When you say clandestine I think.. secret? not hypocritical. you know, like telling someone she's a jerk for wanting to preach about food choices, while yelling at her about how you should eat all the cheetos in the world. that kind of hypocritical.

I'd hazard a guess and say most clandestine groups have some hypocritical elements to them if you were to really dig into it.

That said no one told the OP to "Eat all the cheetos in the world" but they certainly told her that eating cheetos will neither harm nor help her progress. They told her that food is food and calories are calories and there is no need to become a food shaming preachy 'jerk'. They didn't shame the food choices the OP made while calling her out for food shaming, so even if you believe those people are also jerks there is no hypocrisy there.

Now if you'll excuse me, back to the Batcave, or where ever it is shadowy groups meet these days.
  • SupremeEmpress
    Options
    Oh sure. If I waited for people to ask for my opinion, I'd never get to share it.

Having said that, most of the time I couldn't care less unless you're feeding you're child absolute garbage because you're too lazy to make the effort. Then I might say something.

Or, if you're eating something completely stupid like those packaged chinese noodles because they should be declared a health hazard.

Or, if there are clear signs you are delusional - particularly when it comes to sugar. Fructose is fructose is fructose - doesn't matter if it's HFCS or Agave Nectar or Honey it still useless to your body, taxes the liver, and goes straight to your fat cells to take up permanent residence. Oh sure, a good quality honey will have antibacterial properties but the other two may as well be twins; and unfortunately, most honey people buy today is cut with up to 80% HFCS. Big agra is not your friend people.

And the idea that using a chemical sweetener is somehow a better choice than sugar. P.L.E.A.S.E.

Let's not forget the importance of using a good deodorant.

In my defense, I will preface my opinion with the fact that I am the perfect example of a complete hypocrite; which doesn't necessarily make the information itself incorrect. In fact, as my track record of being mostly right is fairly consistent it's not uncommon at all for a coworker to ask me for nutritional advice.

And why am I writing like this - because I may have watched too many episodes of Glee lately and I think I'm channelling Rachel Berry.
  • SupremeEmpress
    Options
    P.S. Having said that, I consider Cheetos to be a balanced meal.
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't give a damn what others eat or choose to eat.

At the end of the day, my only concerns are:

MY choices.

MY mouth.

MY health.
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    While I have absolutely no desire to talk to people about supposed 'good' or 'bad' food choices, I do have a totally weird desire to talk about calories like they're some new thing I invented. I'm rolling up to every dinner party like "have you heard about thermodynamics?!"
  • dbmata
    Options
    Why not, I always talk about m-theory?