Have you become one of those preachy people?

Options
teamAmelia
teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
The other day, my boss and I were in the break room and she was leaving. I was telling her about my diet and she was grabbing a bag of Cheetos from the vending machine. I almost told her that she shouldn't eat them, that she should go home and eat something healthier (bc she was on a diet the last time I checked). Our company also has a health/fitness-focused organization that I'm part of, so I try to encourage people to walk in or outside of the building during their breaks (They can easily walk 2 miles a day, just on their regular breaks - or 4 miles if you include their lunch break!!!)

So, do you find yourself giving advice and preaching to people about their eating/exercise habits?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    No, because I know that I still do not make the best decisions even when I'm so focused on my health, and since I cannot tolerate unsolicited advice from others, I would be a terrible hypocrite to give it myself.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I give people fitness related advice only when they ask for it.
  • Kicker12
    Kicker12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    No. Also what is wrong with Cheetos?
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Only if they ask. Otherwise, no. It's their choice.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Generally not unless they ask. But most of my friends have started asking.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Also, with the absolute UTMOST respect. Your ticker would appear that you're only at the start of your weight loss journey yourself.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Only if people ask. Chances are I would have been just as likely to be grabbing cheetos. You gotta be careful with high horses cause when they buck you off, it hurts!
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Nope, I tell them about what I'm doing only if they ask.
  • jasonalvear
    jasonalvear Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have moments where I do think I might say something, but don't. If anyone wants advice, they can ask, and they do, but those whom don't, hey, it is their body, and they can do whatever they want with and to it.
  • Erica6130
    Erica6130 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Nope it's their life and it's none of my business what they choose to do with their body.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If people ask, I'm more than willing to discuss and advise. I would never tell someone not to eat cheetos though...that's just blasphemy. Note that you can get your nutrition on and get your fitness on and be a rockin' individual and still eat some cheetos from time to time.
  • sjsosu
    sjsosu Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If people ask, I'm more than willing to discuss and advise. I would never tell someone not to eat cheetos though...that's just blasphemy. Note that you can get your nutrition on and get your fitness on and be a rockin' individual and still eat some cheetos from time to time.

For the record I don't disagree with you, but seriously, is there an organized clandestine group on this message board with a determined mission to start a "you can eat whatever you want debate" in every thread?

Again - I don't disagree....not trying to start a **** storm...just getting annoyed at the same conversation in every thread.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    No.

Preaching about health is like hearing your vegan friends tell you about the chicken that was slaughtered as you chow on your fried wangs.

It benefits no one and makes you annoying in other people's eyes.

And now I want Cheetos. :angry:
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    NO cos I don't give a crap. In fact the fatter and unhealthier other people are, the better I look
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    The other day, my boss and I were in the break room and she was leaving. I was telling her about my diet and she was grabbing a bag of Cheetos from the vending machine. I almost told her that she shouldn't eat them, that she should go home and eat something healthier (bc she was on a diet the last time I checked). Our company also has a health/fitness-focused organization that I'm part of, so I try to encourage people to walk in or outside of the building during their breaks (They can easily walk 2 miles a day, just on their regular breaks - or 4 miles if you include their lunch break!!!)

So, do you find yourself giving advice and preaching to people about their eating/exercise habits?

I try not to preach. Ppl have different methods and who says yours is correct? I'll tell ppl what Ive been doing, but only if they ask.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    No because I ate cheetos this weekend and lost weight...I don't want to be a hypocrite

ETA: Go Jalapeno Cheddar or Go Home
  • ICallBS
    ICallBS Posts: 12
    Options
    No. Personally I would want to throat punch the person who tells me what I shouldn't be eating.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Also, with the absolute UTMOST respect. Your ticker would appear that you're only at the start of your weight loss journey yourself.

thank you.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I give people fitness related advice only when they ask for it.

Ditto.

Even then, I only say stuff like "What works for me is..." or "What I'm doing right now is..."
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    No, because I really don't care what other people eat. That's their decision. Though I'll admit I find it hard with my mom, cause she's overweight and always on a diet, but has a HUGE sweet tooth. But have been keeping my mouth shut!! Only time I talk about how I lost weight is when someone asks me or comments on it.