Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Have you become one of those preachy people?

Replies

• VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    A preachy vegan? No way :wink:
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Sounds like that would be a good lead up to your unemployment, honestly.

Seriously - pushing healthy eating down peoples throats...does not make them want to eat healthier. If she asks for advice, that's one thing ...but preachy is just annoying.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Nope.

I don't want to hear it unless I ask, so I figure it's none of my business what they eat unless they ask me.

And - people who have lost a lot of weight can be some of the most sanctimonious people I've ever met, especially weight lifters. (I'm just saying...!) And I do NOT want to become one of those people.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Nope. I'm in no place to be giving anyone unsolicited advice about their life. And why should anyone take advice from me, an obese person? Hell, I don't even take my own advice :laugh:
  • danamarich
    danamarich Posts: 74 Member
    I don't give advice or food/health commentary unless someone asks me. I don't like getting preached at so why would anyone want me preaching to them?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    I'm not above snatching unhealthy food out of people's hands.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Nope. Nothing ruins your bag of Cheetos more than someone telling you that you're making terrible choices and should listen to the advice they force upon you. I don't wanna be that person.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member

Me too, but only because I want to eat it instead.
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    No, it sounds like a good way to alienate yourself from the people you work with.

Personally if you told me any of that, you would probably be offended because I would just laugh it off.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Only when I feel like being punched in the face.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    The other day, my boss and I were in the break room and she was leaving. I was telling her about my diet and she was grabbing a bag of Cheetos from the vending machine. I almost told her that she shouldn't eat them, that she should go home and eat something healthier (bc she was on a diet the last time I checked). Our company also has a health/fitness-focused organization that I'm part of, so I try to encourage people to walk in or outside of the building during their breaks (They can easily walk 2 miles a day, just on their regular breaks - or 4 miles if you include their lunch break!!!)

So, do you find yourself giving advice and preaching to people about their eating/exercise habits?
    Eating a bag of Cheetos (if one is getting in the correct macro/micro nutrients too) won't make one "unhealthy" if they are staying within calorie deficit. Health isn't just about food intake.
    And yes people that start pointing out to others that their food choices aren't optimal are preachy and usually end up becoming food snobs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    NO absolutely not! I hate people like that so I keep my mouth shut. No one wants to be preached to - if someone asks for advice or what I'm doing, I tell them. Beyond that, I only talk about weight/diet/fitness stuff here on MFP.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    No, I mind my own business.... Also Cheetos are not "unhealthy" or "bad". IIFYM.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    No, because I'm not one of those people who thinks "oooh m'god...cheetos will make you fat."

Eat the food. Watch your macros. Enjoy life.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Do you really think it's a good idea to criticize some one else's eating habits?

If you decide to have a treat, do you want someone criticizing you for it?

There is nothing more annoying than someone ruining a well earned treat by being preachy.

It's none of your business what others put in your body.

Some thoughts are better left in your head.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Simple answer. No. On the other hand...I will offer advice and help when asked. No use in beating a dead horse over the head with a stick.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

Well if it Cheetos, they deserve it. You need those more than they did anyway.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Nope I don't preach and I don't judge. Everyone's journey is different. Who am I to tell someone what or what not to do on their journey? Maybe she was low on her calorie intake and decided to just treat herself. You never know someone else's mind or journey.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    I don't give any advice unless it is asked, but when it is asked, I do tend to get a little preachy, not AT them but just about what I am doing. It's probably obvious I'm really passionate about it, and so I've made a conscious decision to try and tone it down. They don't need every detail; the basics will suffice.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    No, to each there own. I don't like people preaching on me so I won't preach on others.