Have you become one of those preachy people?

Options

Replies

• Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I only give advice to people who ask for it. I find your type of smug health proselytizing be incredibly obnoxious. Why shouldn't your boss have Cheetos? I grab a packet of crisps at work at least once a week. And sorry, but I'm using my breaks to chill out and relax. I work 2 jobs and do 4 hours of pole dancing a week. Why do I need to use my spare time during the day for walking?
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My mantra for every part of my life: If I can't swallow what I serve, I don't dish it out.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    The other day, my boss and I were in the break room and she was leaving. I was telling her about my diet and she was grabbing a bag of Cheetos from the vending machine. I almost told her that she shouldn't eat them, that she should go home and eat something healthier (bc she was on a diet the last time I checked). Our company also has a health/fitness-focused organization that I'm part of, so I try to encourage people to walk in or outside of the building during their breaks (They can easily walk 2 miles a day, just on their regular breaks - or 4 miles if you include their lunch break!!!)

So, do you find yourself giving advice and preaching to people about their eating/exercise habits?
    No because I'm not orthorexic and thus don't assign "good" or "bad" labels to foods. I also understand that food needs to be taken in context with one's entire diet. So unless I've seen someone's food log I wouldn't know whether or not a bag of cheetos is something they "shouldn't" eat at that particular point in time.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I am so focused on my own journey, my own bad habits and the fight to make my lifestyle a healthier one, I have no time to focus on what someone else is doing.

But, I can totally understand when a person makes a positive change in their lives, and sees the amazing results, that they would want to share that with others. But I believe we should try to live more by example, not give unsolicited advice. Because in the end, that's kind of just being judgmental. I'm not always able to stop giving unsolicited advice but I'm working on it.
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Only here on MFP :laugh:
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    No I don't tell people how to eat. I do share food ideas with certain co-workers like new salad ideas because we are all eating them and I like to give new ideas to keep us from getting bored. If they showed up with a bag of chips I wouldn't say anything. I wouldn't want someone telling me what I should be eating.
  • DrunkenFaeGirl
    Options
    No, because I know that I still do not make the best decisions even when I'm so focused on my health, and since I cannot tolerate unsolicited advice from others, I would be a terrible hypocrite to give it myself.
    ^^^ this
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Were they Flamin Hot Cheetos? I love Flamin' Hot Cheetos.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Mmm, just had Cheetos yesterday.

Oh, and no, unless they ask.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If people ask, I'm more than willing to discuss and advise. I would never tell someone not to eat cheetos though...that's just blasphemy. Note that you can get your nutrition on and get your fitness on and be a rockin' individual and still eat some cheetos from time to time.

For the record I don't disagree with you, but seriously, is there an organized clandestine group on this message board with a determined mission to start a "you can eat whatever you want debate" in every thread?

Again - I don't disagree....not trying to start a **** storm...just getting annoyed at the same conversation in every thread.

This.

Seriously- it is the SAME CONVERSATION EVERY TIME. EVERY TIME. He wants to prove the cheetos are fine. The other one wants to prove they are not. In the end, nobody gets anywhere because nobody wants to listen to what the other person says because everyone is firmly ensconced in their own view. So quit trying to push it on people.

To the OP- I've kept it to when people ask me, and I try to keep explanations simple- thanks for the topic.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    No, but I am a lot less likely to commiserate with people about how hard exercising and eating right is.

If they _ask_ I will say that I use MFP.

If they press for details, I'll explain ADF to them in GREAT detail. ;)
    (Not entirely because I am a jerk - mostly because I really like the plan and I've been in their shoes (or shoes very similar))

No one has ever gone past this step.
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Wth? Now I want cheetos!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    <----
    I could eat six bags of cheetos a day and remain looking like that
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have to go with the crowd on this one. She is the one in charge of her own health, diet and welfare. There is nothing wrong with having a snack like that in moderation. You just have to make sure you account for it in your limits.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    No because it would be comical for me to bash Cheetos while I'm eating my own bag. The only emotion I feel when people eat good food around me is envy that I don't have some too. If someone asks me for weight loss advice, I'll tell them what I've done. But NEVER will I say something unsolicited.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm not above snatching unhealthy food out of people's hands.

LMAO!
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Wth? Now I want cheetos!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

OK, as a fellow alabama fan, please, save the RTR cheers for next Saturday ;-) It's still too soon. We don't want to jinx ourselves and blow the opening game!
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Yes. If they are the the puffy Cheetos, I try to let them know that the crunchy ones are way better tasting. Especially mixed with white cheddar cheezits.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't intentionally preach. I'm way bigger than most of my friends anyway. However, sometimes I know an interesting piece of trivia, like for instance peanut butter M & M 's have 11 calories each, and that interesting piece of trivia may have slipped out while my friend was eating peanut butter M & M's. I was intending to have some and I was thinking out loud about how to track them. But I think she really wanted to remain in denial about the calories, and so it kind of annoyed her that I told her. So I'm going to try to keep that kind of information to myself from now on.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I don't give out unwanted advice unless I'm absolutely sure that they will hurt serious themselves (like something stupid in the gym). I'm more of a lead by example kinda guy.