Have you become one of those preachy people?

Options

Replies

• casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Only to my husband because I don't EVER want to have to take out the garbage so I need to make sure he's around for a while.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I don't even like offering advice to people that ask. Being preachy (about anything) is a great way to be seen as a total jerk.
  • dani_bee
    dani_bee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I like the "You look so great what are you doing?" questions, only to see their eyes cloud over when I tell them I work out two hours every day and watch my calorie intake. If you don't want to make serious changes in your life then don't ask me.

OMG I can't stand this!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Nope. Nope. Nope.

If this is the case, you need to spend more time **away** from MFP :laugh:
    No, really, a little perspective is a good thing & unsolicited advice can be a conversation killer :ohwell: To this end, I am not the diet or fitness police. :wink:

As a recently diagnosed T2 diabetic, I am not the diabetic police either....however any relative or acquaintance who is aware of this get kinda weirded out & I often have a bit of explaining to do. :blushing: My approach to jamming up the progression of this disease is heresy apparently, as I've chosen a more progressive style of management in hopes of NEVER having diabetic complications.

By design, the more 'conventional' treatment automatically assumes one will succumb to one of the myriad of complications and assumes a person should just get right with it & eat 'healthy' whole grains :indifferent:

While some folks have been able to manage just fine by using the conventional approach, It's just not for me. I try to stay away from conversations like this with other diabetics I know, unless they ask specifically for advice :smokin:
  • hookilau
    Options
    No.

Preaching about health is like hearing your vegan friends tell you about the chicken that was slaughtered as you chow on your fried wangs.

It benefits no one and makes you annoying in other people's eyes.

And now I want Cheetos. :angry:

Right On!
    wish I could eat Cheetos-the-cheese-that-goes-crunch :sad:
  • hookilau
    Options
    If people ask, I'm more than willing to discuss and advise. I would never tell someone not to eat cheetos though...that's just blasphemy. Note that you can get your nutrition on and get your fitness on and be a rockin' individual and still eat some cheetos from time to time.

For the record I don't disagree with you, but seriously, is there an organized clandestine group on this message board with a determined mission to start a "you can eat whatever you want debate" in every thread?

Again - I don't disagree....not trying to start a **** storm...just getting annoyed at the same conversation in every thread.

This.

Seriously- it is the SAME CONVERSATION EVERY TIME. EVERY TIME. He wants to prove the cheetos are fine. The other one wants to prove they are not. In the end, nobody gets anywhere because nobody wants to listen to what the other person says because everyone is firmly ensconced in their own view. So quit trying to push it on people.

To the OP- I've kept it to when people ask me, and I try to keep explanations simple- thanks for the topic.

Gosh yes. :yawn: That argument gets tiresome :sick:
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I don't preach. I don't mention my nutrition to people at all unless they ask. Then I am generally vague since most people are just nosy & not really interested in making changes themselves.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    No because I've lost all my weight eating what I want in within my calorie goals.

My things are ice cream, peanut butter, wine, and champagne. Maybe hers are Cheetos.
  • hookilau
    Options
    I don't intentionally preach. I'm way bigger than most of my friends anyway. However, sometimes I know an interesting piece of trivia, like for instance peanut butter M & M 's have 11 calories each, and that interesting piece of trivia may have slipped out while my friend was eating peanut butter M & M's. I was intending to have some and I was thinking out loud about how to track them. But I think she really wanted to remain in denial about the calories, and so it kind of annoyed her that I told her. So I'm going to try to keep that kind of information to myself from now on.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Picturing this in my head & it's freakin' hilarious!
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    LOL
    Yes, and my family hates it !
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I like the "You look so great what are you doing?" questions, only to see their eyes cloud over when I tell them I work out two hours every day and watch my calorie intake. If you don't want to make serious changes in your life then don't ask me.

You work out two hours every day? Yikes. My eyes would cloud over too.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Nope, not unless pointedly asked. But, even then I generally say that it's just a math thing, counting calories. Boring but true.
  • johnna1212
    johnna1212 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I used to sit on the couch for hours every night thinking I didn't have time to exercise. My couch is lonely these days.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    People always say that I'm annoying, but it's important to keep telling them the truth. Maybe one day they will listen. Please read your Bible and remember that Jesus saves.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

You work out two hours every day? Yikes. My eyes would cloud over too.

same lol
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    No, because I know how annoying it is/was when other people do it.

If someone asks for advice, I'll give suggestions. Otherwise, do what you want.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Yes.... yes I have. I'm trying so hard not to preach and it's really hard not to.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not, because I'm not an *kitten*.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    People always say that I'm annoying, but it's important to keep telling them the truth. Maybe one day they will listen. Please read your Bible and remember that Jesus saves.

BURN HER!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not, because I'm not an *kitten*.

^^ This