September 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,990 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso That sounds like a fun challenge. Who doesn't like a math riddle? What happens if you get the answer wrong?

@rheddmobile Yeah for the running and knee doing okay. Those pecans pretending to be roller skates are sneaky. Glad it wasn't worse.

@Camaramandy648 Hope your test comes back negative. I have learned that they only try to back track people who had contact with those who test positive for 2 days. So, I'm not surprised no one told you. It's not an ideal system, for sure.

@rheddmobile Will you need to amend the Challenge hound challenge, since it ended on Monday, to allow Kristi to run?

@ContraryMaryMary So sorry the HM got canceled. You'll kill the virtual one though!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    9-1 7.2k slow
    9-2 7.2k easy
    9-3 7.2k moderate
    9-4 7.2k measy (between moderate and easy)
    9-5 7k measy
    9-6 7k easy
    9-7 rest
    9-8 7k marathon pace
    9-9 7k marathon pace
    9-10 7.2k marathon pace
    9-11 7k marathon pace
    9-12 7k marathon pace
    9-13 7k marathon pace
    9-14 rest
    9-15 7k measy
    9-16 7k measy
    9-17 7k easy

September Total: 106k
    September Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k
    June Total: 156k
    July Total: 180k
    August Total: 172k

2020 Total through August: 1408k / 176k per month

Mostly cloudy and mid 50s F today. Finally had the discipline to run at an easy pace -- maybe yesterday's flu shot helped.
    Everybody stay healthy and safe!!!!!

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020
    Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

9-8 to 9-13 "Virtual Boston with Vincent" Time goal 5:15:00; actual time 4:47:01
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Each correct run is an entry into that days challenge contest so I guess if you get the math wrong you don't get an emtry for that day.

The challenges are optional. You can earn badges and entries for prizes.

ETA some challenges are easy. Like run more than the previous week or take a photo of you jumping
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo since everyone gets their own challenge within the challenge group, and the rules are set by challenge not by group, all I needed to do was change the dates of the challenge for Kristi’s challenge. It worked!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,717 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    9/1 – 7.02 miles
    9/2 – 5.03
    9/5 – 18.02
    9/6 – 8.13 (walk 1.78)
    9/7 – 6.13
    9/9 – 5.27
    9/10 – 5.54
    9/12 – 19.41
    9/14 – 5.34
    9/16 – 5.01
    9/17 – 5.25
    Total – 92.02/Goal – 130 miles
    YTD – 1,151.14 miles

Easy run in light rain this morning.

@hamsterwheel6 – Love the shirt! Great job on the race – what a pace! Personally, I keep my watch running for any stops that I have to make whether it be to stretch, wait on light to change, etc. I figure in a real race, the clock still runs whether I am or not. Glad you stopped to stretch though – like @quilteryoyo said you don’t want to overdo and set back the healing process.

Glad you didn’t hurt your knee stepping on that pecan @rheddmobile. There is a section of sidewalk in my normal city route that has a lot of acorns that fall on it every Fall. Luckily, I’ve remembered it in time to slow down.

Hugs @Camaramandy648 – I hope your test is negative. Sorry for the added stressor.

@juliet3455 – I hope you heal quickly!

Oh no @ContraryMaryMary – I’m so disappointed for you. You have been training so hard girl. I’m with you @rheddmobile – I’m ready to move to New Zealand or someplace with more sane citizens!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Here is the site I use to track air quality. It tracks ozone levels as well as particulate matter. I start having issues when we get into the 'Unhealthy for Sensitive Individuals' and when it gets up into the next level I can't breathe and I cough.
    Great site - that's exactly what I had in mind.
    Just make sure you are taking it real easy. An extra rest day now is much better than getting set back several weeks if the ankle isn't ready. Says the person who ran several races once on a hurt quad because she had "already paid for them" and ended up not being able to run for over a month.
    Definitely taking it slow! I plan on taking a rest day tomorrow and Friday to see how it reacts to the one mile, and if it is doing okay and continues getting better and better, I'll try again. If it hurts more tomorrow or Friday, I'll wait another week to gauge it. I'm also still working on my stretches and will make sure to stretch a little more tonight since I did do a short run/walk!
    Excellent plan.
    Mini Race Report
    Dunder Mifflin Running Team virtual 5K
    k5wax4w2mchc.jpg
    I had just gotten my swag and wanted to run this. But. Hamstring. Decided to try anyway. Temp was perfect running 60F.
    Did 1 mile warm up.
    Then reset watch and started out. Felt good, and first mile was 9:02! OK maybe I can do this get a PR. Hamstring was holding up. 2nd mile 9:02! Lol what are the chances?
    Then the hamstring started complaining. I was so close. I decided to stop and stretch and took of again. Had to do this 3 times to complete. The last 1.1 mile was 8:37! Whoa. But that included me stopping the watch for those stretches. So should I use that time or does it not count?
    27:32 is certainly a PR. If I hadn't stopped the watch maybe add 1.5 min. So 29 ish which is still great.
    Walked /ran 1.5 mile back.
    So it went well as I could hope for but I'm paying for it as hamstring still complaining. At least I know I can go 2-3 miles fast lol. I'm more concerned about my real race in 2 weeks. We shall see I guess.
    Don't do what I do though!
    The guidance Strava gives on whether stopping counts is that really for a race you should do it without pauses, but as long as there are no awards given, it’s up to you. Great time either way!
    I did hear about one challenge where the goal was to run 5k on Strava as fast as possible, but the trick was, you COULD pause as much as you wanted. I think it was a response to people claiming times for things that they had paused for breaks. I personally would count the run being discussed here, as an AWESOME training run that you can definitely get excited about, and not let the watch pause next time I'm doing a time trial. But it is your run to count as you decide.

@ContraryMaryMary I am so sorry :(
  • RunsOnEspresso
    edited September 2020
    Options
    RE: Strava race guidance
    For one race company, they require the Strava workout be changed to a race so it includes pauses, stops etc for their virtual race. The company actually does placement awards so it makes sense. The form to submit does have a spot for you to enter move time and actual time so it displays both. I don't care about pauses because I am not getting any awards LOL
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 @RunsOnEspresso @Teresa502 @marisap2010
    Thanks. It was a good run despite the pauses and it's too bad my stupid hamstring decided to complain. LOL.
    In a real race for sure pauses get added in. I'm pretty stoked though that I could get this time or close to it if i were injury free.
    So add me to the list of cancelled races. The live one that was scheduled barring approval just moved to virtual.
    Sigh. I feel you @ContraryMaryMary and everyone else.
    I will still run it, and run it on the course if was supposed to be, but I will probably take it easy per my hamstring and all your lovely advice.

Spinning and strength today. Hurricane Sally is coming through in rain format the next couple days.
    Hugs to all affected.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    9/09 2.35 miles
    10/09 2.35 miles
    12/09 2.33 miles
    16/09 2.38 miles
    17/09 2.31 miles

Total 11.72 of 26.2 miles for PastorVincent memorial challenge

Hi guys, I'm behind in the posts but will get time 2moro to catch up!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @kgirlhart I'm so sorry about your dad. Sending you and your family lots of love.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart Really sorry to hear about your dad. We're here for you.
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I’m so sorry @kgirlhart. You and your family are in my thoughts. Sending love and strength your way. X
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    Oh @kgirlhart - sending you love and {{{hugs}}}! It is so hard and I am so glad you were able to be there with him. I am sure it made him feel so much better to have you all there! My thoughts are with you and your family.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear your news @kgirlhart - love and hugs to you and your family