September 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,988 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    My post suddenly showed back up. YEAH!

@WandaVaughn Happy Anniversary and congratulations on 32 years. My mom and dad's anniversary is Friday. They will be married 64 years. :smiley: Gatlinburg is practically in my back yard - well, an hour or so away. I hope the weather is nice and you enjoy your vacation there. The bears usually aren't aggressive, as long as you don't get between the momma and her cubs. Then all bets are off. Just be watchful and you should be okay.

Welcome @_runnerbean_ !

@ContraryMaryMary Hopefully your coach will have some words of wisdom. I'm hoping it was just a really bad day of running. We all have those.

Sounds good to me @rheddmobile . Thanks for taking the lead on the Boston Marathon challenge for @PastorVincent .

Oh my Gosh @brittanystebbins95 ! He is soooo cute! Congratulations. He is a big boy and you worked hard getting him safely into this world. You were so good about listening to your body when you were pregnant, so I have no doubt you will do the same now and will be back to running as quickly as possible.

@eleanorhawkins Hang in there. The times are rough on us stress eaters right now.

@Faebert That's a lot of running. You are doing great.

@RunsOnEspresso I think you will get plenty of miles concentrating on all of those challenges and races. :wink:

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,717 Member
    Options
    9/1 – 7.01 miles
    Goal – 130 miles

It was still dark when I headed out this morning. I live in a rural area with no street lights and few houses. I used my handheld light one day last week. I also have a headlamp but haven’t quite found my groove with using it. I usually wear a hat when I use it and then the bill of the hat gets in the way of the beam of light. If I don’t wear a hat with it, the light doesn’t stay in place and slides down my forehead. Anyone have any tips? This morning, I remembered I had bought a hat a few years ago at an expo with lights built in. I dug it out and it worked great. It was foggy and humid this morning so I was a sweaty mess. I hand-washed the hat – hope it still works!

@ContraryMaryMary – I hope you were just having an “off” day. You have been pushing yourself hard I think it is to be expected.
    @rheddmobile – I’ve never used challenge hound but am good with us tracking the @PastorVincent marathon challenge there. Thank you for taking the lead on organizing us!
    @brittanystebbins95 – I am so in love with Finnegan! Congratulations!

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    9/1 – 7.01 miles
    Goal – 130 miles

It was still dark when I headed out this morning. I live in a rural area with no street lights and few houses. I used my handheld light one day last week. I also have a headlamp but haven’t quite found my groove with using it. I usually wear a hat when I use it and then the bill of the hat gets in the way of the beam of light. If I don’t wear a hat with it, the light doesn’t stay in place and slides down my forehead. Anyone have any tips?

I have an LED light that clips to the bill of your hat. It has 3 bright white LEDs and it works really well. I don't know where I got it (found it after my son moved out, so I think it was actually his). It is made by Energizer. It's not super bright, but it works pretty well. Here it is at Walmart
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    September 1 - 5.5 miles
    Total Space Race miles: 85.21

@quilteryoyo I'll wave to you while we're up there! I hope to avoid the local news in stories about bears. :smiley:
    @skippygirlsmom I get dyslexic with numbers sometimes. Thanks for the catch. (and never expect me to memorize phone numbers, lol)
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,988 Member
    Options
    @WandaVaughn I'll try to wave back. I'm sure you will be fine with the bears. We rarely hear of any major issues with them. Just don't leave any food out. They do know how to open coolers and break into cars. I have slight dyslexia too, so totally understand about mixed up numbers and letters.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    9/1 – 7.01 miles
    Goal – 130 miles

It was still dark when I headed out this morning.
    I live in a rural area with no street lights and few houses. I used my handheld light one day last week. I also have a headlamp but haven’t quite found my groove with using it. I usually wear a hat when I use it and then the bill of the hat gets in the way of the beam of light. If I don’t wear a hat with it, the light doesn’t stay in place and slides down my forehead. Anyone have any tips?

I have an LED light that clips to the bill of your hat. It has 3 bright white LEDs and it works really well. I don't know where I got it (found it after my son moved out, so I think it was actually his). It is made by Energizer. It's not super bright, but it works pretty well. Here it is at Walmart

Just bought a chest and back light as I find the head torch distracting. Not had chance to try it yet but I will let you know.

Excellent running @Camaramandy648 and congratulations on more great distances!! Your determination is SO impressive!
  • Teresa502
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »

Thanks Scott - I'm going to look for one of those!
  • Teresa502
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 – Congratulations on another long-distance challenge completed AND finishing in 6th place! Yippee!!

Welcome @annshandle!

@TheMrWobbly – Please let us know about the chest and back light when you have a chance to try it. I’ve heard of people using their headlamps as waist lamps but I haven’t tried that yet.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    My daughter has gone vegan for a year and now thrown keto into the mix so vegan, gluten free, pumpkin spice doughnuts might be just the trick as they can't have anything in them!!! We are waiting on vegan / keto protein bars to turn up at the moment.

I am giving keto running a trial for a month which should be interesting!
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    My daughter has gone vegan for a year and now thrown keto into the mix so vegan, gluten free, pumpkin spice doughnuts might be just the trick as they can't have anything in them!!! We are waiting on vegan / keto protein bars to turn up at the moment.

I am giving keto running a trial for a month which should be interesting!

@TheMrWobbly you'll have to let me know how it goes! The women in my family have a lot of issues - red meat is an inflammatory food (so is sugar) - so I avoid it. Which actually sucks because I love steak and candy but... I can really, really tell a difference in how I feel when I do and don't eat certain things. :(