Replies

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Welcome back @Avidkeo
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options
    @kristinajeang Glad your ankle held up and I would count the time on the soccer field too.

Yeah! @Camaramandy648 !

Great restraint @hamsterwheel6 !

@RunsOnEspresso Cure design.

@Avidkeo We missed you too! Glad your calf is getting better!

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    September Goal: 26.2 miles during Boston Virtual Week for PastorVincent (Done!)

9/1 3.85
    9/2 off
    9/3 2.58 + snorkel 1 hour
    9/4 off
    9/5 3.31
    9/6 off
    9/7 5.83
    9/8 6.16
    9/9 2.60
    9/10 off
    9/11 7.46
    9/12 2.37
    9/13 2.48
    9/14 off
    9/15 3.86
    9/16 2.52
    9/17 off
    9/18 4.78
    9/19 3.10
    9/20 off
    9/21 2.36

Total 53.26

exercise.png

Upcoming and current races:

D-Backs Virtual Run Against Cancer on 10/17 (which would have been my son's 43rd birthday....)
    https://raceroster.com/events/2020/27903/2020-d-backs-virtual-race-against-cancer

Big Island Challenge (virtually run 110 miles from Hilo to Kona by 9/27) (done)

uxSIKHu.jpguxSIm10.png

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 I hope you get your spot!

I read a study recently on pace, which found that in the case of novice runners doing a 5k, going out too fast results in faster finishing times. Now, that’s a very specific situation - novice runners apparently are often capable of running faster than they realize, and it’s a short race. Wouldn’t want to try it on a half marathon! I would also like to point out that in my own experience going out too fast has resulted in PRs, and also in unplanned walk breaks from being completely wiped. It’s a fine line.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo Love the picture. You have such a great place for a nice Spring walk!

@polskagirl01 Glad you managed to get a spot in the race! That sounds stressful.

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

I read a study recently on pace, which found that in the case of novice runners doing a 5k, going out too fast results in faster finishing times. Now, that’s a very specific situation - novice runners apparently are often capable of running faster than they realize, and it’s a short race. Wouldn’t want to try it on a half marathon! I would also like to point out that in my own experience going out too fast has resulted in PRs, and also in unplanned walk breaks from being completely wiped. It’s a fine line.

I always start out too fast (crowd, adrenaline) even though I tell myself to be conservative. It really is a fine line. I find if I am fighting to get around people that clearly lied on entry or snuck into a faster corral that I get fatigued. Probably because I'm going faster & having to weave around walkers.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile I'd argue that if you got a PR, you weren't going out too fast ;) Now, how do we know what is too fast for our fitness on that particular day? We're back to agreement - it's definitely a fine line.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Hey, everyone!

I got the quote for the medals for @PastorVincent to be made. They are not expensive per item, about $10. For 25 it would be $251. What do you all think? Or do we want to see if @rheddmobile can look into the 3D printing? I know Kristi and her family and some friends may also want one, which is why I said 25. It seemed like a nice number to go with as a hypothetical.

Back at work today. So grateful for hours and money, and also so grateful for the scheduled Jangover ten mile run tonight to ease my mind of the day's stresses.

Here is a screenshot of the quote. i8njco5w82lh.png
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options

Yes to both these
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options

Talking of going out fast, my 2nd 5K was a huge one here in town and Skip and I were running together, which really means going in the same car and her waiting at the finish. So she said says no I want to run with you, we get to the first mile and the girl yells out the time as we are going by it was around 10:something and I say outloud oh *kitten* that’s too fast and the exact same time Skip says OMG that’s so slow I gotta go and leaves me in the dust. The lady next to me burst out laughing.

Haha. That cracked me up
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    Hey, everyone!

I got the quote for the medals for @PastorVincent to be made. They are not expensive per item, about $10. For 25 it would be $251. What do you all think? Or do we want to see if @rheddmobile can look into the 3D printing? I know Kristi and her family and some friends may also want one, which is why I said 25. It seemed like a nice number to go with as a hypothetical.

Back at work today. So grateful for hours and money, and also so grateful for the scheduled Jangover ten mile run tonight to ease my mind of the day's stresses.

Here is a screenshot of the quote. i8njco5w82lh.png

I'm ok with this