September 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Yes same here - although I have lived in Toronto, I am now down in the south and 50's is def cool for me lol.

Two spin classes and some core work. Hoping to test out the hamstring tomorrow..easy does it though.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Hey, everyone!

I got the quote for the medals for @PastorVincent to be made. They are not expensive per item, about $10. For 25 it would be $251. What do you all think? Or do we want to see if @rheddmobile can look into the 3D printing? I know Kristi and her family and some friends may also want one, which is why I said 25. It seemed like a nice number to go with as a hypothetical.

Back at work today. So grateful for hours and money, and also so grateful for the scheduled Jangover ten mile run tonight to ease my mind of the day's stresses.

Here is a screenshot of the quote.

If we decide to buy these I'd purchase one.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Hey, everyone!

I got the quote for the medals for @PastorVincent to be made. They are not expensive per item, about $10. For 25 it would be $251. What do you all think? Or do we want to see if @rheddmobile can look into the 3D printing? I know Kristi and her family and some friends may also want one, which is why I said 25. It seemed like a nice number to go with as a hypothetical.

Back at work today. So grateful for hours and money, and also so grateful for the scheduled Jangover ten mile run tonight to ease my mind of the day's stresses.

Here is a screenshot of the quote. i8njco5w82lh.png

I'm good with that!!!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 What are the specifics for the type of medal? I wrote for a quote on the place that offered the acrylic medals and they want $3.49 apiece but they have a 50 count minimum so the total cost works out about the same. We have 25 participants in the MFP group plus any family members who participate later, btw.

I think we have enough people that 3D printing would be impractical.
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I’m really behind so sorry if I forget to include any shout-outs. Have been reading and following along with you all.

@Camaramandy648 and @rheddmobile I’m happy to contribute if we are getting medals for Kristi and the family. Would love one too but I think shipping internationally will be an extra hassle and you guys have done so much already.

Sending healing thoughts to @hamsterwheel6 and @Avidkeo and anyone else sick or injured. Glad the test was negative @Camaramandy648. Thinking of @kgirlhart and @eleanorhawkins and their families.

Everyone else running races or just enjoying cooler temperatures, hope you’re all making the most of a new season! I went out for 10K this morning and it was an almighty struggle. Couldn’t work out why then got home to discover it was 90% humidity. Have also been plugging away ‘running’ with my class of 5-6 year olds. I wish I could film it to show you guys - seriously entertaining! X

September total: 81m
    September goal: 100m

1/9: 7.6m
    2/9: 1.4m and strength training
    3/9: 6.2m
    5/9: 8m
    6/9: Strength training
    7/9: 7m
    8/9: Strength training
    9/9: 6.3m
    10/9: Strength training and 1m with my class
    11/9: 6.9m
    13/9: 6.2m
    15/9: 6.4m
    16/9: Strength training
    18/9: 7m
    20/9: 10m
    21/9: 0.77m with the class
    22/9: 6.22m

Jan- Aug 2020: 549.2 miles
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile and everyone else- I had sent Kristi the quote as well and she said that she will get with her people and figure out the yay or nay, etc.

So it sounds like you are all in. I guess I just need a final headcount and then we need to determine how to pay for them.

In a couple of weeks, I can pay for the bulk and you can all venmo me?

What are your thoughts on that? I've never done anything like this before, but I think it can be made to be pretty seamless.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    ...Probably because I'm going faster & having to weave around walkers.

When I run the loop around Duke East Campus, which is relatively flat and straight with just four major turns, I often feel more fatigued than on my other runs--mostly from weaving around walkers, people who are too close and maskless, dog walkers with long retractable leashes, etc.

I have wondered if the physical fatigue is partly caused by the mental exercise I get from anticipating and then planning on how to weave around people, not to mention that the traffic around Duke University is pretty loud. How much of my mental space is taxed by that?

I do know that if I am running through the relatively bucolic and peaceful Duke Forest my runs do not seem as hard, even if I am going over "harder" hills and have more turns, etc.

Duke Forest is shut down Mon-Fri, starting tomorrow through 13 Dec, due to deer hunting season. At least I won't get shot by a hunter if I run around Duke East Campus. I hope, lol.

• durhammfp
    Options
    I AM NEGATIVE!

I get to go back to work tomorrow!

But first,

I’m going to do the first leg of the Jangover challenge in PUBLIC!

Excellent news!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile and everyone else- I had sent Kristi the quote as well and she said that she will get with her people and figure out the yay or nay, etc.

So it sounds like you are all in. I guess I just need a final headcount and then we need to determine how to pay for them.

What are your thoughts on that? I've never done anything like this before, but I think it can be made to be pretty seamless.

Can we see what the medal looks like, same with yours @rheddmobile I have no problem putting in more to cover Kristi and however many in her family ran. I don't think they should have to pay for them themselves. I don't use Venmo because I don't trust those apps, if you don't have paypal I will set it up for just this and then delete it.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,058 Member
    Options
    Sept total: 44.5/60 miles

9/2: 3.5 miles
    9/3: 3.5 miles
    9/5: 4.7 miles
    9/8: 3.2 miles
    9/9: 3.3 miles
    9/11: 3.1 miles
    9/12: 3.7 miles
    9/14: 3.5 miles
    9/15: 4.3 miles
    9/18: 3.5 miles
    9/19: 4.8 miles
    9/22: 4.4 miles

We are currently getting quite a bit of rain from tropical storm beta. It was raining too hard this morning to get out at my usual time, but I was able to catch a break in the weather in the afternoon. I was scheduled to do speed work today, but with all the branches, pine cones, and wet sidewalks I didn't really want to chance it. So instead I did a Tempo run. It was super humid, but the extra wind from the tropical storm and the cloud cover help to keep it nice and I only encountered some misting rain. Timed it perfectly!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,058 Member
    Options
    Re: pace groups. I haven't had a lot of luck with them. I like to start out a little bit slower in the beginning and kind of work myself up to speed on a longer race. I think some of it is just nerves; there's always a part of me that wonders if I'm actually going to be able to finish the race even if I've done the distance before! Then as my confidence builds and I realize I'm not going to die I'm able to speed up. Also, while I pay attention to my pace, I largely run by feel. I still consider myself to be a newer runner, and I think I'm just now getting to the point where I'm learning how to properly manage my pace.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,959 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom That's funny about the 5K that you and Skippy "ran together." I would have been like the lady beside you and laughed out loud. :wink:

@WandaVaughn Glad you weren't injured any worse when you fell down the stairs. Sounds like you had a very relaxing vacation.

@Camaramandy648 That doesn't sound too bad. I'll go along with the crowd on this one. LOL

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,959 Member
    Options
    Great 10K pace @durhammfp ! Love the scenery too!

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    September Goal: 26.2 miles during Boston Virtual Week for PastorVincent (Done!)

9/1 3.85
    9/2 off
    9/3 2.58 + snorkel 1 hour
    9/4 off
    9/5 3.31
    9/6 off
    9/7 5.83
    9/8 6.16
    9/9 2.60
    9/10 off
    9/11 7.46
    9/12 2.37
    9/13 2.48
    9/14 off
    9/15 3.86
    9/16 2.52
    9/17 off
    9/18 4.78
    9/19 3.10
    9/20 off
    9/21 2.36
    9/22 5.15

Total 58.41

In in for the Pastor Vincent Memorial Medal

exercise.png

Upcoming and current races:

D-Backs Virtual Run Against Cancer on 10/17 (which would have been my son's 43rd birthday....)
    https://raceroster.com/events/2020/27903/2020-d-backs-virtual-race-against-cancer

Big Island Challenge (virtually run 110 miles from Hilo to Kona by 9/27) (done)

uxSIKHu.jpguxSIm10.png

• durhammfp
    Options
    Great 10K pace @durhammfp ! Love the scenery too!
    Thank you! That photo was taken near the southern terminus of the American Tobacco Trail.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/north-carolina/american-tobacco-trail-from-southern-terminus

I believe the body of water is Beaver Creek.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options

Can we see what the medal looks like, same with yours @rheddmobile I have no problem putting in more to cover Kristi and however many in her family ran. I don't think they should have to pay for them themselves. I don't use Venmo because I don't trust those apps, if you don't have paypal I will set it up for just this and then delete it.

I agree - I'd like to see the medals we're talking about, before I commit to $10 + international shipping + whatever we're adding for family medals. This could start adding up, and while it would be nice, I didn't do this for a medal and will be ok if I don't get one.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I’ll pass on the medal - as lovely an idea as it is and as awesome a design as it is - but with the exchange rate and International shipping, this will end up costing me quite a lot and I think Pastor Vincent would agree I’d be better to use this cash to enter another race!
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    9/09 2.35 miles
    10/09 2.35 miles
    12/09 2.33 miles
    16/09 2.38 miles
    17/09 2.31 miles
    20/09 2.31 miles
    23/09 2.60 miles

Total 16.63 of 26.2 miles for PastorVincent memorial challenge