WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @Faye, the 1st espresso was at about 9:30 and the 2nd around 12:30. This didn't taste like asphalt at all! I usually stick to one per day. I really liked that I could have an inexpensive good quality tea at the counter. Another big plus for my café of the moment. CATS : we had cats all through childhood and teens and my dad had cats until his last days. Very important for him to have a cat. My mom stopped having asthma attacks after they separated. It could be emotional but she was also allergic to cats. my step-mom started having asthma attacks after they moved in together, and she began a life involving cats. same logic. It's weird we can live years with such issues without realising the possible source.

Machka's question :

your taco thing sounds good by the way! I'm in. my sister's family used to eat that cause they were all picky in different ways and that was one rare meal that worked for all.

some veggie salad w homemade vinaigrette

grilled fish, mackerel is good this days,
    with grilled baby tomatoes and baked veggies
    OR
    if not liking fish
    duck in place of mackerel
    OR
    stir fry veggies w some protein,

Dessert:

strawberry shortcake w family recipe switching mix of chestnut flour and corn starch to replace wheat flour, with option of real whipped cream, creme fresh or soy creamy option and maybe a little grated chocolate

or
    tiramisu also w GF option but not dairy free option.

OR

Almond cherry compote with almonds and creamy stuff to compliment it

OR
    if I have no time,
    good quality ice cream, with a macaron, and a mini-slice of almond cake.

I served that at last last-minute biggish get-together and it was a hit.

When having many people over I'm into low labor now so I can enjoy the people. I make one or two big dishes and one can usually cheat bit on dessert and get together a top quality one that's bought but original in it's combination.

I don't spend 2 days prepping anymore.

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    @cityjaneLondon well it's way better than when everyone was smoking inside when I first arrived. you couldn't go to a café without all your clothes smelling like 2nd hand cigarette smoke. yuck. I'm always astonished at the people I see smoking. many people smoke like 1 cigarettes per day or 3 per month. impossible for me. I never saw this public woman smoke before and it looked like she was sort of hiding the smoke (holding it low and back when I arrived). I'm stunned that so many of the elected highest level teachers at my school, women, go outside to have a smoke after the rare evening drink in a bar.
    So many students smoke too. I used to tell the students how the tar actually never goes out of your system. (info from a friend who's wife is a bigwig in the American cancer society : tar needs to be heated up to 800+ degrees to go away, and the residual tar from decades back has consequences on breathing as we age : less flexible lungs), but they thought I was a downer and it's far from the subject I teach so I don't tell them that much anymore. it's a racket that that is not common knowledge and there is the myth that after 10 years of not smoking the years of smoking have zero consequence on your health. I find stainless steel looks modern and if a simple line goes well with many things.

COFFEE I used to drink coffee about 3 x a year, but now they say it's good for you, and also it's by far the cheapest thing to buy in a café and I truly enjoy popping by the café regularly to read the paper and have a moment.

@Anniesquats100 sounds great!

• bananasandoranges
    edited September 2020
    Options
    HYBRID CLASSES TRAINING I went to a 3.5 hour online/present class on how to give hybrid class by 10 year experts, plus a bevy of younger administrative people selling online classes. it was attended by nearly 90 higher ed teachers, mostly from a distance; I had planned to go in person, but with the heat wave I opted for distance; I regretted it during break time as a break at a distance gives no time for networking or asking questions informally, but then they said there were only 12 people among the present attendees.

I have already been a present participant in a hybrid thing and it was also interesting being a distant participant in a hybrid thing: easier to disappear a bit, go in and out with attention, and also more comfy, I can move around, go lie on the sofa, etc, fix snack, fix tea, etc. they asked us to have the mike and video off so it was really easy to be on radio mode. I mostly watched though as it was quite interesting.

I asked the expert what she thought if people who are higher up on the hierarchy decide to be 100% present and require the teachers lower on the hierarchy to be 100% distant so they can be 100% present (and not 50-50 as was originally planned).

This is my case in 2 schools, in our department.

She said it's inadmissible!

It's 3x more work everyone said and much less efficient and less pleasant, etc., even if there are things to be learned in a mixed or modified approach.

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    RITA ~ Your grandson is a good look tween! My grandson started 5th grade this year also. Next year he will be at his mom's school, so we will see how that goes. Your camp photos came out very good!

COFFEE: I know that many folks here obsess over Starbucks Coffee, but, the few times I have tried it it has been too strong for my taste. I have been drinking coffee since I was probably 4 yrs old and I love my cuppa. During college it was instant but ever since I got married it has been drip.

Carol in GA
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,947 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    exermom wrote: »
    Dropped off some of the banana chocolate chip muffins for the birthday of the hubby of the gal whose house we played mahjonngg at then went to see a friend who just got a kitten for her birthday tomorrow. Honestly, I really don’t know why she got a feral cat. But whatever, not my cat. I don’t think I would have gotten a feral cat. Oh well.
    Michele NC

Michele- all 7 of our cats were formerly feral- you would never know it by looking at any of them right now- Even the one that was not a kitten has adjusted very well- the kittens were tame within just a day or two.
    Here are four that were sleeping in bed with me:
    tvw7wodlf80b.png

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

Several years ago, I had 3 cats. Two were the kittens of my ex-in-laws cat. One was a little feral kitten ... or at least, she started that way.

There were a few feral cats near where my boss at the time lived, and one day, the kitten of one appeared outside the window of the house mewing loudly and demanding to be let in. They did let her in and did a hunt to find a couple more and the mom who they took to get fixed.

Over the next several weeks I got to know the first little kitty and eventually took her home and called her Smudge.

Only ... I didn't know she was a she. I was convinced she was a he. A little while later, I took "him" to get fixed. Later that day, I placed a call to the vet from the public phone (remember them??) in the dining hall of the college I was attending. There was all kinds of chatter around me from the other students when I asked about him and how the surgery had gone. The vet receptionist told me that it had gone well and that she was doing fine. I could come in and pick her up in a couple hours. She? Her? Are you sure? I asked. I'm calling about Smudge. Yes, said the vet receptionist, Smudge.

And in a voice that was slightly too loud for the room, especially when it quieted down just at that moment, I asked, "You're positive there were no boy parts?" Every eye in the room turned to me ...

Anyway, here she is, my little feral girl ... my furry little sausage. :) She passed away in 2012. <3

rk98i6dca8fv.png

axaxmw6x0jes.png

Machka in Oz

love the pictures- she was so unique looking. Most of ours are pretty common looking- only Umaku is a bit different but not that uncommon- he is my big boy who likes to lay on the back of my computer chair(at almost 20lbs, barely fits) and takes my chair the second I get up. He has long hair and is so pretty-
    d3d2pd8f4ehb.png
    y2x5ydvolodh.png
    ddhpt902qd7g.png

he is my cat- he just stays with me or by himself- BUT he is a little *kitten*- he will not use the litter boxes any more- will pee on a pad in the hall and then poops in the hall but not on a pad. 6 clean litter boxes available to him and he has started this. The strange part is that his sister and brother(from another litter at my parents place) got kicked outside because they started doing the same thing- they were never around each other but showing same traits)- same with temperment- for years he didn't care about being petted, all of the sudden he can't get enough. His sister did the same thing at the same time up at my parents house. The two are the only long hair Siamese looking ones- the rest were/are short hair(mom was plain black cat, dad was Siamese- both feral).
    I don't like what he is doing but not kicking him outside for it- up there they have plenty of space- they are in the country and have beds set up in the barn and in the shop.
    I just make sure I am the first one up so husband or son doesn't step in it- they did once each and complained over and over about it.
    The last picture is him with his siblings before we found homes for the rest.
    Thankfully we all love cats- I thought I was the one that loved cats most but turns out I am not-
    My husband actually shows more attention/affection to the cats than he does me. His car comes second after the cats. I have mentioned this to him and he laughs it off.

Debbie
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Hooray!!! A light breeze is blowing and the smoke is clearing! I am seeing trees and houses that I haven't seen for days. Excited to soon get back to my early AM patio workout and long walks.
  • dlfk202000
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Today I got the Dhal Makhani. If I can find it, I really like the Paneer Palak. We also go with the Dhal Tadka and sometimes the Paneer Tikka Masala. We do prefer the somewhat milder choices. :)

Machka in Oz

Just thought I'd add ... I can make palak paneer and have done a nice one in my slow cooker, but it does take a lot of spinach!!! Delicious though. :)

So here's a question for you all ...

If we were to come to your house for dinner, and you had to cook, what would you serve?

No hiring a caterer. No getting takeaway. What's your specialty? :smiley:

I don't do a lot of cooking. So if you were to visit me, you'd probably get one of three things:

1) Some kind of cheesy pasta with broccoli and chicken served with a grocery store garlic bread.

2) A serve-yourself "Mexican" taco thing with chicken mince, diced tomatoes, lettuce, guacamole, refried beans (from a can), cheese and of course a choice of soft and hard taco shells.

3) A selection of two or three curries. Palak paneer would probably be one. Plus a basic chicken-veg curry. And maybe something else. Served with rice and naan.

Dessert would be either an apple crumble, a pavlova or chocolate lava cakes. :)

Enjoy!

M in Oz

Teriyaki chicken, miso soup and stir fried veggies
    Roasted chicken, garlic mashed potatoes, green beans and what ever other veggies were in the garden
    pho with rice noodles
    dessert would be blackberry cobbler, mango cake or ??? Love to bake but don't need it in the house.

I love to cook, especially when it is appreciated- it is hard when you cook for hours and get, " Oh, I'm not really hungry" or something like that. Happens way too often. or serve them and not even a Thank you or anything- might get a, oh, that was good later.

Debbie
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Katla - I hope that that is the case, but I know she is bullying someone else right now so is just leaving me alone.

Evelyn - I have been watching the numbers steadily climb here in Alberta as well. I, of course, have been wearing a mask at work all along when dealing with the residents or when we have meetings and can't keep our 6ft apart. We are allowed up to 15 people in our cohort, but we don't have that many. It is our girls, their husbands and grands that we have allowed in except for Saturday when I relented and allowed my Son in Law's parents in for Jonah for his birthday. They have been careful, she works in our local hospital and he is retired. Other than that no one has been in our house. I am amazed at the friends and family of mine that are having huge gatherings and parties though. In New Brunswick where I'm from they are doing it right.

Machka - Our grandson's nickname is Smudge. It came about when his Dad saw his ultrasound picture and said "it looks like a Smudge".
    If you were coming to my house for dinner I would serve you a pizza casserole, with Caeser Salad and garlic bread. Dessert would depend on what I found at the grocery store bakery, probably a chocolate cake of some kind.

Heather - Like you, I don't like anything around my neck, mine is more to do with claustrophobia than heat though. I even find some necklaces tight and have to have extensions on them. I hope your money is returned soon for the fridge.

Pip - That was a lot of damage, thankfully the other guy was honest and gave you insurance information.
    It sounds like you made new friends. That's awesome.

Annie - I'm happy your date went well. Will there be a 3rd?

Rita - Beautiful pictures and a handsome grandson

Carol - I agree with you 100%, I am not a Starbucks fan. I had this discussion this morning with a young coworker, she worked as a Starbucks Barista for 3 years so swears she can find one I like. I don't agree. I like plain old coffee and rather mild.

Debbie - I feel we have a lot in common when it comes to husbands. I am realizing how incredibly selfish my husband is. This is a hard wake up call after 33 years. I need to have a sit down talk, but have been putting it off as I hate confrontation of any kind.

Well I am at work and should get back to it, it's been a busy morning already.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes and I have been enjoying the cats!!!
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    RITA ~ Your grandson is a good look tween! My grandson started 5th grade this year also. Next year he will be at his mom's school, so we will see how that goes. Your camp photos came out very good!

COFFEE: I know that many folks here obsess over Starbucks Coffee, but, the few times I have tried it it has been too strong for my taste. I have been drinking coffee since I was probably 4 yrs old and I love my cuppa. During college it was instant but ever since I got married it has been drip.

Carol in GA

we don't care for Starbucks either- husband says it is ashy tasting to him. Too strong too- I am too cheap- I prefer making it at home, just the way I like it for pennies a cup instead of $4-5 a cup.

We picked up a big 32cup percolator pot to use at our craft festival- got it at a garage sale for $5 so needed to try it to make sure it worked right- that made the best coffee- we ended up using it here and picking up a second one for the festival(which was canceled this year).
    We have one of the pod using pots that we use most of the time but got some Bailey's Chocolate Cherry coffee grounds super cheap so pulled out the 2cup drip machine-
    We use what ever we get on sale EXCEPT instant plain coffee.

Debbie
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    Options
    I've always found Starbucks coffee like dishwater! I have to have it double strength and even then it's rubbish. :D Nearly all coffee is weak compared to our own.

Tracey - I'm a bit the same with my neck. I can't go to sleep with my hand touching it. :(

Isn't it strange, Bananas, how smart French women smoke. My DH hates smoke even more than me. I believe it is because they think it keeps their weight down. :o It's even worse in winter with the covered terraces.
    I have a question for you. Is your French fluent? How good is your accent? Can you pass as a French person? :D I can pass if I keep the sentences short. ;) I pride myself that I look like a French woman when I am over there, so I am often mistaken for one, and then I don't understand what they are saying! B) It's the one place where I force myself to wear a scarf in the winter. It's like a uniform and a national badge. :laugh:

Pots have been collected. All happy.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx who is not contemplating any dinner parties in the not so near future. :'(:s
    IF I were, I would tailor it to my guests' taste and pick a theme.
  • dlfk202000
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Katla - I hope that that is the case, but I know she is bullying someone else right now so is just leaving me alone.

Evelyn - I have been watching the numbers steadily climb here in Alberta as well. I, of course, have been wearing a mask at work all along when dealing with the residents or when we have meetings and can't keep our 6ft apart. We are allowed up to 15 people in our cohort, but we don't have that many. It is our girls, their husbands and grands that we have allowed in except for Saturday when I relented and allowed my Son in Law's parents in for Jonah for his birthday. They have been careful, she works in our local hospital and he is retired. Other than that no one has been in our house. I am amazed at the friends and family of mine that are having huge gatherings and parties though. In New Brunswick where I'm from they are doing it right.

Machka - Our grandson's nickname is Smudge. It came about when his Dad saw his ultrasound picture and said "it looks like a Smudge".
    If you were coming to my house for dinner I would serve you a pizza casserole, with Caeser Salad and garlic bread. Dessert would depend on what I found at the grocery store bakery, probably a chocolate cake of some kind.

Heather - Like you, I don't like anything around my neck, mine is more to do with claustrophobia than heat though. I even find some necklaces tight and have to have extensions on them. I hope your money is returned soon for the fridge.

Pip - That was a lot of damage, thankfully the other guy was honest and gave you insurance information.
    It sounds like you made new friends. That's awesome.

Annie - I'm happy your date went well. Will there be a 3rd?

Rita - Beautiful pictures and a handsome grandson

Carol - I agree with you 100%, I am not a Starbucks fan. I had this discussion this morning with a young coworker, she worked as a Starbucks Barista for 3 years so swears she can find one I like. I don't agree. I like plain old coffee and rather mild.

Debbie - I feel we have a lot in common when it comes to husbands. I am realizing how incredibly selfish my husband is. This is a hard wake up call after 33 years. I need to have a sit down talk, but have been putting it off as I hate confrontation of any kind.

Well I am at work and should get back to it, it's been a busy morning already.
    Tracey in Edmonton

I think we are very much alike!!! for us it is 28yrs(this Saturday). I have only sat down and talked to him about it once(he really thought I was calling it quits) but have written letters and left them for him a few times- they did little to change him- the talk made him change for about a week. I too HATE confrontation, and because of that, he has gotten away with continuing to act like this. I told him I am so tired of being nothing more than a maid and his room mate. He has treated me like that for 24 of the 28 yrs and I put up with it. He even leaves the house, doesn't say goodbye or anything- I thought he was going to the garage to get a drink before going back to work(home for lunch) then I heard the car leave- Mentioned it when he got home- didn't seem to care-
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Hazy here from the fires out west and we are in Minnesota.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Love the photos of all the cats! We loved our Siamese for 15 yrs and she was our last cat. She was the sweetest cat imaginable. I would love to get another cat or dog; but, DH says it would break his heart if the pet had to leave our world.

Carol in GA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather Your DDIL is an excellent advisor. :flowerforyou:

According to my close friend, Siri, the air quality index in my town is currently 356, up from earlier today, and is very unhealthy. :grumble: The air quality inside my home is much better. We have our air filtering system turned on and it helps. :star:

I've been hearing sirens and suspect they're from our firefighter/paramedics. They are a valued asset in our town. A few months ago they saved my husband from a severe blood sugar low. The recent sirens could have been for any serious health problem.

Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that I am done with errands for the day. I’m tired of being the “gofor.”

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Katla I hope you get a light wind to help blow it out which it should soon. Your cloud ceiling is at 3500 feet which is a good sign. Mine is at 100 feet which would be bad except Biggs is at 28,000 feet and the light wind is pushing smoke upriver and being dispersed over the desert at Biggs. Several new fires burning but with light winds, they are controlling them. Things are looking better, but we still have a month to go.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Caught up but out of time. Keeping all in the fire and smoke in prayer.

Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3