WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    Morning ladies
    Lisa glad your getting answers to your problems...
    I went to get dressed and pulled a muscle in my back ugh... i can still move but its annoying
    Going to go pick Homer to bring over.. poor guy when he wasnt feeling well he was here everyday.. now that he is better when i go to check on him and take him for a walk he is ready to go for a ride..
    So he is coming for a visit today..
    Will pack for staying over Thursday night with Faith..through friday.. then will make a decision on whether to go up North or not...
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,506 Member
    Morning peeps (5:37am pst)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    LisaInAR wrote: »

For the ladies experiencing struggles in the marriage, most people here have heard me say this. What's upsetting is that your expectations are being violated. One thing I've found helpful is noting to my husband what my expectations are. They don't read minds and don't think at all the same way we do, so you have to clue them into what you expect (not at the top of your lungs, do it when you're calm). You need to use specific, active words that make sense to the way they think, as well. Subtleties and talking around the subject won't help at all. Be direct.

If they still don't meet you where they need them to, it's time to give in to the fact that you're not going to change him, so if you want to stay in your relationship, you will have to change your expectations. My husband doesn't buy me a Mother's Day gift either, and I don't expect him to.
    :)

:) I quoted this for anyone who missed it the first time. Lisa has such a great way of explaining things.

:) My husband wants to buy me gifts and take me out to eat for all holidays and all special occasions and I don't want gifts and don't like eating out.

<3 Barbie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2020
    Pip: Your new car is a nice color. I hope you enjoy it. :star:

Machka: We had a number of nice restaurants before Covid 19 came to town. Several of them are open again but we haven’t chosen to go out to eat. We did go to Subway for our favorite sandwiches once. YUM! We haven’t gone back, mostly because we’re out of the habit. :ohwell:

Barbara: Cougars are not discriminating predators. They will take down livestock and pets. A mom and cub visited our town a number of years ago. They were captured and released miles away from people. Luckily, they didn't come back. If they had come back, they would most likely have been shot for the sake of public safety. :ohwell:

(((Lisa))): I hope you’re feeling better soon. :heart:

School is back in session. The parking lot was full of teacher cars yesterday. It appears that there are in-school options and home school options. I didn’t research the details.

AQI (air quality index) is 223 right now. It isn’t as smoky as it was yesterday, but it is still not pleasant outside. The air quality inside my home is much better. We have our air filtering system turned on and it helps. :star:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,803 Member
    “If we were to come to your house for dinner, and you had to cook, what would you serve?“

Eggplant Parmesan and Tiramisu for dessert!

RV Rita
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,803 Member
    edited September 2020
    @Pip: I have a Honda CRV but it is a 2008 and paint peeling off. Has 110,000 miles on it and never had problems with it. Plan on getting another when I’m ready to trade. I love the style.

I am going to ask admins to change the done word to exit on the top of community page! I had a huge post and hit “Done” instead of below the keyboard and “save post”! Done that more than once!! What do you all think?

I’m sad I have to toss my favorite pair of sandals (DAWGS). So worn out that they make my back hurt. On good side, it is Fall and time for shoes.

Pics of crane, cats I’m caring for, and Pecos Sunflowers from this morning.

RV Rita

RV Rita
  • pipcd34
    kevrit wrote: »
    Pip, is that a Toyota RAV? I love the style.

RV Rita

We looked at those, but it isn’t tall enough of an opening for a bike.

We bought a Honda CR-V ex. 2020
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,439 Member
    Faye thank you for your nice words. I texted my sis in Damascus, and turns out she has GOUT on her foot! She is in a terrible state. She most likely still is drinking her tequila, but she states she only drinks soda water, or bitters. She has no cooking means down in the basement where she lives, so she orders food 99% of the time. Her eldest daughter, husband and three kid's take over the 3 bedroom huge upstairs and main floor. At least now they all do pay some rent, but its my sister that pays the mortgage. When she does eat its seafood, meats, and that's where her lactic acid builds up. And the fact that she doesn't walk or exercise it settled in her joints. She is quite a character, stubborn! She is only 4 years older than me at 62, so she really needs to better herself so her last year's aren't filled with pain.
    💖Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • Whidislander
    Pip - That is the exact same car as we have! I love the colour. :) Ours is too big for our tiny little urban streets, but we are too old to change it. We bought it when we lived in the countryside where it flooded regularly. He only uses it to go to cricket. I haven't been in it since Dec 31st. It sits outside our house, months in, months out. :o

My DH doesn't do Mother's Day either. Why should he? :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Does your car have a cover? Do you start it up every two weeks? Do you drive it around the block so the tires don't settle? (😁 I need to know these things)....💖
    💖Rebecca
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,932 Member
    kevrit wrote: »
    @Pip: I have a Honda CRV but it is a 2008 and paint peeling off. Has 110,000 miles on it and never had problems with it. Plan on getting another when I’m ready to trade. I love the style.

I am going to ask admins to change the done word to exit on the top of community page! I had a huge post and hit “Done” instead of below the keyboard and “save post”! Done that more than once!! What do you all think?

I’m sad I have to toss my favorite pair of sandals (DAWGS). So worn out that they make my back hurt. On good side, it is Fall and time for shoes.

Pics of crane, cats I’m caring for, and Pecos Sunflowers from this morning.

RV Rita

RV Rita

I love my Dawgs! They are so comfortable. I have four or five pair- a bit worn but still ok- hoping for a good end of summer sale on them. Luckily for me, my size does end up on clearance at most places(not just Dawgs- all shoes, as I wear between a 4 1/2 and 5 1/2- my Reeboks are kids size 4 1/2)
    I was surprised to find a pair of Skeetchers sandals that go between the toe that I actually love- First pair ever like that that didnt hurt my toes. They are comfy but a bit more dressy looking than my Dawgs

Debbie
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    Rebecca thanks for reminder. I have to start up and move son's car today. We do want to sell it. It a 2009 Malibu hybrid. DH did get title transferred. Neighbors behind him sometimes have up to six cars so it is not always easy to get it in and out of the garage. Body not in perfect condition either. It did have a new engine put in at 60,000. I am letting DH handle it. I will start it up to keep batteries charged because I am over there more than he is.
  • Whidislander
    "If you came over to my house for dinner, I would serve y'all lasagna, salad and cake!😁

Welcome all the new ladies that have come into our little soiree! Sit, pop a squat, have a mineral water, and tell us what's on your mind.💖
    My momma used the phrase, " let's sit, drink wine and gossip and tell lies"! She was quite the lier! I mean she didn't flat out lie, she just made up her own truths. Like the one about hummingbirds only having one little drop of blood in their sweet tiny bodies! It just went round and round their innards REALLY fast. She only told us girls that, so when we were making the sugar water we made sure to heat it up, so all the sugar melted. She'd say, "if there's one granule of sugar it will kill them"! Dramatic much Mom???😁.
    💖Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
    Losing weight daily!
  • pipcd34
    Uuuu
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    Rebecca - we start it up and run it for half an hour every 10 days or so. Even so, the battery has died twice. Luckily we have extended warranty. Last week the guy came out to start it and DH took it for a run. This week he has driven to cricket and is driving to see his daughters tomorrow. I would much prefer a small dual or electric car. I haven't driven it for 2 years. Don't cover it. People don't around here.

I walked up to our tiny supermarket this afternoon while the cleaner was here. Bought the minimum as we are having a big delivery on Friday and changing the fridge freezer on Monday. :o I will put freezer blocks in so as we can keep the fridge stuff cool in our coolbox overnight on Sunday to defrost the freezer. I only ordered a delivery as I thought the fridge would take a month to arrive. :o I'm sure it will all work out in the end. :)

I wanted something extra for Edie to go with her guinea pig pyjamas for her birthday present. Had a brainwave today and ordered pom pom makers and assorted yarn. Should be fun! I hope they will come over Friday 25th for a tea and I can give her a distanced present. Working with my son on that idea. I can see sausages, bacon and brioche rolls. Followed by something that can support a fountain candle. :D Hope it works out. We are still very much socially distancing.

I am seeing my friend Gwendolen next Tuesday. She is coming by train. I hope to eat in an almost empty restaurant, by the open door. She has had the virus. :)

DH driving to see his daughters tomorrow in the garden of a pub about 20 miles away. His elder daughter is moving to France soon. I am staying at home. B)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Rebecca: I’m sorry your sister has gout. My mom had gout and it made her miserable. She had one toe that seemed to be affected the most. I am sorry your sister is facing the problem. My take away from mom’s situation is that gout is a form of arthritis. It caused severe joint swelling, pain and stiffness. Mom had narrow feet and it was a challenge to find shoes that were narrow enough to keep from rubbing her heels and loose enough to avoid irritating her toes. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Customs vary, but you are a mother and deserve to be honored on Mother’s Day. I get Mother’s Day calls &/or cards from each of my adult children. DH usually takes me out for a nice meal. We honor our daughter and daughter in law on Mother’s Day, & since they each made grandchildren for our hearts, I am happy to send them cards and flowers. I call to chat with each of them. DH usually takes me out for dinner or cooks something special at home. When my mom was alive we always went to see her on Mother’s Day. DH’s mom was 400 miles farther away and she got a card & phone call. :star:

AQI (air quality index) is 239 right now. Inside is a good place to be. :ohwell:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    I'm not a Starbuck's coffee fan either. when I go there (usually at the airport and very occasionally if handy somewhere else) I tend to prefer to get a green tea.

@Heather, I think the motivation for women I know smoking is really social. when we were at a table, in a café for a drink or two for a good while, and then after say an hour about half went outside to have a smoke and then all of the smokers have more confidential conversations. for many, it's like having a drink. I'm not sure about the weight thing. covered terrasses are tricky. now at "my café" even in the uncovered terrasse they have a non-smoking section. I went today in the normal part, and was not at all bothered by smokers. not everyone smokes.
    IN answer to your question. My French is very fluent. I have been here 31 years. My accent is good, I'd say, but I definitely do not pass for French. Actually sometimes when I speak English I have a slight French lilt and it has happened that people thought I was French when speaking English. it's rare but it has happened. Awesome for your accent, and being taken for French. I rarely wear a scarf! I often wear a thin big cottony one when travelling in summer. it's very multi-purpose: scarf, can sit on at beach, cover a bit after swimming, etc. now it could be a mask too!

@Tracey, anything like "sweety" or "sugar" not acceptable for a boss to call an employee here in Paris either. Maybe in some areas or fields it still happens. I have very rarely or never heard it from a boss. It seems less bad from a woman boss possibly. my sister calls many people sweety. people from the south use a lot of sweety and honey, relatively speaking, still if I'm not mistaken; (or they did not many years back).

@Ginny, sorry about your SIL's dog, and biopsy. I hope the news is reassuring. I agree: buying quality shoes, may save money and feet. When I was young and broke I bought cheap shoes and then had foot issues. I decided shoes was one area I was going to spend more money for good walking health and comfort, if there are not other options. It's true they tend to last longer too, so are not necessarily really more expensive.

@Michele I'm with you on tea drinking; At home I never make coffee. Always tea. I barely drank coffee for decades: I would only get a cappuccino and add 3 sugars about 3x a year. now I'm into espresso, no milk, and add half a sugar, and get it standing up at the coffee bar for 1.20 while a read the paper some days. (more in the summer, when I have more time). there is gel everywhere so I wash hands before and after. it don't go to the closest café so it gets me a little walk in too, and gets me out of the house on days when I have no outside thing going on (work or social). The bar is near a huge open double door and many windows open, and I always go to the part closest to the outside, there so I am nearly outside.

SMOKE: the sky looked weird today in paris and I read that there is also some smoke coming from California in Europe, in Germany and other parts east of here, so surely here.

((((those of you dealing with intense smoke)))

(((those of you dealing with major couple relationship issues)))

(((Lisa)))

@Machka you talking about eating a "pile of vegetables" in the evening made me think I am eating less veggies than I do at times. when I lost relatively well a few years ago I would always keep freezer stocked with frozen veggies for evenings when I was too tired to cook. there's this frozen foods chain here "picard" and they have many organic options too. frozen organic peas and green beans are surely cheaper than fresh ones.

I read all the last 5-6 pages of posts. it's nice when I have time to do that.

Went to the osteopath today. it was good. I feel a bit tired and spaced out after half of the time, including today.
  • Katla49
    edited September 2020
    Vicki In GI NE: I am so sorry about your hives. I hope this eases away soon. In your situation I would be calling my Doctor for help.😘🌹😘🌹
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    Katla - I don't think Mother's Day is as big a thing here. My elder son never sends me a card or presnt for it, nor for my birthday, nor, lately, for Christmas. He does love me, I know, but it annoys me. Sometimes I get a text if his girlfriend reminds him. My younger son does all that stuff. He always has, even when he was very young. I am not my husband's mother. :noway: I was a rubbish mother anyway, so I do not expect special treatment, but when I get it, it is a bonus. I don't 'deserve' it.
    I am very pleased when my younger son gives me flowers, but really I don't believe in any of it. I am an iconoclast by nature. We have none of us ever done Father's Day in our family.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx