WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,350 Member
    Options
    Tracey – out of the mouths of babes!!! So cute

Oh, I have my Christmas cards bought. Not written out yet, but bought.

OK, ladies – what in the world is this???

62t95xb2xvo4.jpg

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,556 Member
    Options
    Jjjj
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,221 Member
    Options
    Michele - that looks like a pickle spear. For onions or gherkins.

Love Heather UK XXXXXX
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    MICHELE ~ Whatever, it looks dangerous. :*
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,460 Member
    Options
    Had a nice time texting with middle son yesterday evening. Athena was playing her own version of Break The Ice using a truck. Actually its a small version of our eldest son's Japanese truck that's in the shop ( for the last 3 years) Its a Dihastu Hijet.
    uquqjuowypqx.jpeg
    Then he sent a cute video of her playing. Then I got out my stuffed animals I have in a basket here and made a video for her! Son said she was smiling when I was showing them.💖. Next is video chatting!

Had leftover lasagna, a snack of bagel chips & hummus, and flip yogurt yesterday. That was 11:30 am to about 2 pm fast, and having my coffee. Doing a 22/2 Omad schedule is going well. Its only a bit brutal at about 3 am, when I was wide awake. Its interesting when you fast that happens because its our body's telling us, "wake up, go hunt, you need to be sharp or an animal's gonna eat YOU"! I drank a big glass of water and I felt it hit my intestines with a "splash" ! This morning its now 11:36 am and I am not starving or anything. I will start with my cup of hummus and enough bagel chips to finish that. Its like a 1/4 cup. It starts my digestion moving again. Then a cup of coffee and leftover rice, can of albacore tuna a wasabi mayo. Then a banana for fruit, and a spinach tomato salad. I have 1/2 of a tomato I need to eat up. That's 2 hours of joy right there.💖
    💖Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: massage, pooches down drive,
    Bonus: made antipasto chicken and pappardelle, found cell phone where I dropped it on the drive before it got soaked.
    Get to do: take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, measure potential greenhouse space and distance to outlet, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Tuesday: call Progressive adjuster,
    Self Care September
    17: positive post-its:

Blessed rain, beautiful rain, sweeping the air, softening the earth, thank you rain!

Lisa sounds like the VA has finally provided the right provider. Fingers Xd. I’d add “no more than 3 bullet points” to your “…specific, active words that make sense to the way they think…” then be quiet to let them process. It also helps if there’s a trusted male they can consult. That having been said, you can’t make them want to love you, so sometimes it’s just time to go.
    Debby in VA is your youngest daughter asking you to babysit your gs while she makes home visits, or to foster him in your home full time?
    Katla not just livestock and pets, cougars will attack people too. They are one of the few downsides to living in the woods above the sea.
    Vicki :cry:
    Pip OMG! Do Bette’s new owners plan to repair her? 24yrs since you met Kirby? How time flies when you’re having fun! Labor day weekend was our 36th getting together anniversary, but we’ve never really celebrated. Now it’s somewhat tainted by our move-from-hell in 2017. Our 33rd wedding anniversary will be in October.
    Michele digging and putting down rocks definitely counts as exercise in my book! “The cookies men love” are a plain brown sugar/butter refrigerator cooky. I spice them up with a little mace and put a pecan half on top before baking. We can eat them by the handfuls, alas. I don’t make coffee well, so that’s Joe’s job ;) Safe travels! Looking forward to PJ pics.
    Ginnny :cry: for your SIL’s dog. Fingers X’d for benign biopsy results.
    Debbie in Napa toasted peeps? What a great idea! I used to toast marshmallows over Mama’s electric stove burner but wasn’t very careful about not touching marsmallow to element. Made a nasty carboniferous mess. Didn’t do that again! Now that I have a gas/propane stove…
    Rebecca I can almost hear you giggling from here…
    Heather please share pics of your Christmas Beach Huts cards. So perfectly Hove indeed!
    Terri love hearing about your walks and would love to see pics of your watercolor cards.
    Julie gifting is a crapshoot here. Joe claims shopping is stressful but I suspect he has a certain about of fun taking a pile of $$ to BiMart and buying stuff. In the past, I’ve told him “I want X” or “This is what you’re getting me for Christmas” more efficient but less fun for both. He claims he’d rather forget the holidays entirely, but I’m learning not to take too seriously EVERYTHING he says… after 36 years… ;) The most I insisted on (pre-Covid) was being taken out to dinner for my birthday and our anniversary, something I enjoy but he doesn’t. Now I go out with my March birthday friend for dinner, and will content myself with Mexican Lunch with Joe to celebrate our anniversary.
    Sleep: When I wake and can’t get back to sleep it helps me to get up and do something, wash a dish, dust (hahahaha) a piece of furniture, balance the checking account, get something off the list. Then I can return to bed and sleep. If aches keep me from sleeping one regular (325 mg) aspirin knocks me out like a light. Good luck!
    KJ license and grands coming? How exciting!

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    September: better than August.
    daily: sit with Joe: 16, weigh: 15, steps>5491=3087 vits=15.5 log=16 CI<CO=11 CI<250<CO=7 Tumble & Shadow 5=17 mfp=15 outside=14 up hill=16
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=2 dance= clean 30 mins=3.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant= 20for20=
    bonus: AF=8 play= sew=

I have no idea how I came up with the idea of roasting peeps- Most likely it was an odd craving for toasted marshmellows but didn't have any but had peeps- the extra carmalized sugar on the outside(not burnt) adds an extra crunch to it.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,143 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,753 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Marriage/Gifts ... One of my favorite sayings in regards to marriage ... "Some days you're the bug; some days you're the windshield." My husband utterly fails at gift giving and has been awful since I met him. I gave up on gifts a long time ago. There's a book floating around on Christian reading lists entitled "The Five Love Languages." Essentially we express love in five different ways ... through Words of Affirmation, Acts of Service, giving/receiving Gifts, Quality Time, and Physical Touch. My husband may fail at giving gifts, but he shows me love in so many other ways ... I've decided to keep him.

Yogurt ... so Heather always touts the benefits of full-fat yogurt. I agree with her reasoning and always buy whole milk yogurt. On one of my curbside deliveries, I ordered a new brand of whole milk yogurt ... Cabot's. Well, they make their yogurt with 10% fat!! It was like scooping out ice cream. Almost too rich for me, but my son loved it.

Meals ... I just want you all to know that you pick a date and I'll be there for dinner! When I ask what I can make for others, I usually get a request for either Chicken Pot Pie or Beef Stew and either Fudge-frosted Brownies or Crumb-topped Apple Pie. Seems like there's an interest in good, old-fashioned cooking.

Recipe Fail ... my husband found a recipe and asked that I make it. Chili Verde. Green Hatch Chilies and Posole Seasoning direct from New Mexico. I followed the recipe exactly. It smelled divine. The meat was melt-in-your mouth tender. But we had to throw it out. Recipe called for way too much Posole Seasoning that ended up being heavy in salt volume. Ruined the dish completely. So we all went out for ice cream.

Beth near Buffalo
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Men and gifts - When we first met, I told the mister that if I ever owned a house, I wanted a lemon tree. Many years later, we bought our first house. That year, my birthday gift was a lemon tree. He has surprised me with several trips. While I enjoy the trips, he also bought me a knife sharpener and it's one of my favorite gifts because I love to cook.

He also does a lot of little things for me, like play my favorite songs when I'm cooking dinner (on Spotify) or buys me beer I might like. I do the same for him.

That does not mean he's perfect by any stretch of the imagination, nor am I. We are a work in progress.

Sleeping - If I can't sleep--which is often--I turn on podcasts or audio books and set them to shut off after a certain amount of time. In the past, I worked. If my eyes feel it, I may read a little bit. If I can't sleep because of pain, I take ibuprofen and usually I can sleep after.

Entertaining -- If it's an indoor shindig, braised paprika chicken with potatoes or pork loin with apples. If it's a grill party, carne asada. If it's on a boat, ranch chicken casserole, pizza bread, or the cuban sliders I tried out today. I usually make cookies, lemon pound cake, or my new favorite is apple cider donut bread. I'm not good with sides, so I will buy something or ask someone else to bring those.

Ina Garten (The Barefoot Contessa) said that if you're entertaining, make no more than 2 items yourself and cater or buy the rest. Otherwise, it's too overwhelming and you won't enjoy your own event. I find this to be true.

Fires - Ours is out, but we are getting smoke from further north. It's not to the dangerous levels, but it's there. It's stupid hot here though, considering it's mid-September. For those of you in more dangerous areas, stay safe.

SuziQ - I'm in awe of your orchids.

My thoughts go out to those of you struggling. Hang in there!

Tina in CA

• pipcd34
    Options
    Hhhhh
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Rebecca: Your granddaughter is a cutie. Your son is a good man to make sure you get to see her often, either in photos or in person. :heart:

Barbara: Cougars are not safe in a rural setting nor a town setting. They’re predators, and eat whatever they can catch. Dogs and housecats are “good eats.” In that situation I think I'd go outside armed or stay inside. :ohwell:

Beth near Buffalo: Congrats on your wise decision to “Keep” your DH. He sounds like a good guy. :star: I’m sorry that your Chili Verde was overly spicy. Ice Cream was a great idea. Maybe you can edit the recipe and adjust the spice level from inferno into yummy. :wink:

AQI is 240 right now, very unhealthy. We are staying indoors. AQI=AirQualityIndex.
    I’ve been reading books on my phone. I check them out through Library to Go. This is a service of our public library and managed through Amazon. I’ve always enjoyed reading.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,460 Member
    Options
    Katla, yes he's turned into quite a responsible young adult. Having 3 sons, I have noticed over the years, when I am missing one, another one will pick up the reins. I know they don't realize it, life just happens like that. My middle son sadly married a gal quite high maintenance. Don't get me wrong, I love her to pieces. I just noticed that it falls on my son to do the day to day cooking. I guess my son has designated it so, and I suppose he enjoys it. So when we text, its interesting to me that we mostly talk about food, recipes etc. He's become the daughter I never had! That fact alone is delightful to me.💖
    💖Rebecca
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,221 Member
    Options
    IF I'm entertaining, which I haven't done for months, I will certainly make ahead and freeze at least one of the courses. I have also taken to serving the first course as an aperitif, as a picky thing in the living room. The French call it 'apero picnique'. It's dips and small things to nibble, like prawns or blinis.
    I have an obsession with paper napkins and love ones with a bit of gold, or silver. :o DH thinks I am nuts.
    Unfortunately all that is not possible right now. :'(

Heather, bereft in Hove UK XXXXXXXX
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Katla Ours was down this morning in the unhealthy range so I got out and got my pedicure. I just went out and wow, I was met with an immediate nasal and eye burn. The nearest station to me is still on the fritz and comparing to other days we are also back in the hazardous probably around 300.

Yogurt I was able to do a bit of grocery shopping today and I was surprised to find Nancy's yogurt in the full fat. It has a higher sugar content because of added honey, but it is still low. It is around 4% butterfat whereas the low fat is still over 2% in Nancy's Oregon yogurt.

Beth If your DH shows love and gives you his time, that is the best gift in my opinion.

Still searching for the right cotton night shorts.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,709 Member
    Options
    Well Faith fell today and it took awhile to get her back in bed... but it was done... she has been good for awhile so its just a blip...
    Have her having dinner and will give her pills afterwards.... and then all day tomorrow.. no worries
    Lisa - hope your feeling a tad better xoxo
  • Katla49
    Options
    We’re currently experiencing AQI=234. I have a low grade headache. This is lower than earlier today and I can see the Washington side of the river. It is hazy but much less so than earlier today.

AQI stands for air quality index
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,350 Member
    Options
    When I entertain, I try to freeze as much as possible.

Need to start getting packed to go to Denise's. I just don't like waiting until the last minute. If it were up to me, I'd pack certain things in the car tonight like my water bottles, craft that I'll do while we're driving. But, alas, it's raining so won't do that. I will get everything together in the living room, tho.

Michele NC
  • Katla49
    Options
    B)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Rrrrrrr
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options