WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    :'(
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,385 Member
    edited September 2020
    This is the end of day 5 in my " I'm serious now", clean fasts. Doing 22/2's now ( 22 hours fasting/ 2 hours in eating heaven). In all honesty, its more like a 23/1 but I like to nurse my coffees. 😜Feeling oh so much better. Its the 3 am that still gives me some tough going, but I am tougher!
    Today's feast was two smears of salmon cream cheese on a plate with a handful of Staceys bagel chips, and my warmed up salmon (1 to 2 oz,) as my snack. My meal was a everything bagel with mayo, Cajun seasoned turkey about 4 big deli thin slices, 2 slices of warmed Tillamook farmers cut pepper jack cheese, and 2 slabs of a beefsteak tomato! Then two cups of coffee the way I like it, as I blissfully rubbed my belly.👍
    Hugs to all!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
    Stat for the day-

Walk w/family- Apple Watch- 55min 59sec, 2.9ap, 2.69mi= 246c
    Strava app= 327c
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sue & Pip: Arrow is doing well. A couple of weeks ago I was able to go on a trail ride with two friends. Arrow was a good boy for the whole ride. Either I’m getting better at riding or he’s mellowing out. I hope my skills are improving. Since that ride, huge fires in Oregon have burned homes and neighborhoods. There have been deaths. We are in a safe place in our county and there are currently many refugees camping at our county fairgrounds. Many of these families brought their horses with them. :heart: I hope that they will eventually be able to return to their homes. If not, they’re welcome here.

Pip: The Meerkat looks like it might be just right. Keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out to be fun and just what you are hoping for. :flowerforyou:

(((Kim))) I’m sorry the camp situation deteriorated to the point that you needed to quit. :cry: I hope that something you enjoy comes along to take its place. :heart:

We’ve had the opportunity to visit with our adult children by phone and they are all doing well. That makes me happy.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: 66 mins vacuuming, 3 loads laundry
    Bonus: Joe took us to the beach for the first time in a looong time!.
    Get to do: take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, measure potential greenhouse space and distance to outlet, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Tuesday: call Progressive adjuster,
    Self Care September
    18: Don’t compare how you feel inside with how others look outside: remember, everybody’s got something

When Joe got back from town he suggested we take the dogs to the beach. I was so excited, I grabbed the big white jug (instead of the smaller clear jug) and poured BLEACH instead of vinegar into the fabric softener dispenser. Grabbed the clothes out and ran the rinse cycle twice. Alas two turtlenecks and a towel are now splotchy. Still it was worth it. First time we’ve been to the beach in a very long time, perhaps since Joe’s first surgery.

Machka :love: your walks. Rhody makes me laugh. Tumble just snuggles in, but Shadow (all 50 lbs) leaps full force onto the bed when mama’s trying to snooze past Tummy Time.
    Katla you are right I need to practice first! Will suggest to Joe that I practice into the hill going up to the powerline easement continuation. If he objects, there’s a range in Gold Beach. Fortunately no cougar sightings since Sept 6 Sounds like your vet’s front desk staff came from the same valley girl school as Joe’s eye surgeon’s staff. :rage:
    Tina thanks for the recipe, my mouth is watering!
    Pip good catch! The meerkat looks cute, roomier than a teardrop. Now all you need are some solar powered pink flamingos to finish off the patio area ;)
    Karen in VA, why sad? Worried we haven’t heard much from you lately.
    Kim I’m sad/mad every time I thing of the management letting that facility go to waste, but relieved you’ve been able to put the stress behind you and quit. Sending “something better” vibes your way.

Ah, Rest in Peace, Madam Justice.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    September: better than August.
    daily: sit with Joe: 19, weigh: 18, steps>5491=5665 vits=17.5 log=18 CI<CO=13 CI<250<CO=9 Tumble & Shadow 5=19 mfp=18 outside=16 up hill=18
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=2 dance= clean 30 mins=5.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant= 20for20=
    bonus: AF=9 play= sew=
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    @Snowflake1968 So many people who have had mild symptoms of anything, and have asked themselves if they didn't have COVID. Even if it's based on changes, every little cold could be it. Sorry about the contaminated shoppers.

@Machka9 if it's not too hard to get tested you could get tested to assuage questions.

@Faye, I felt somewhat the same way during lockdown. We were allowed to go out for exercise 1h a day. Many many people did not. I would go out at 7 am (= 5 or 6 am in usa, very few people are out) on little sides streets, very easy to keep distance if I did cross someone, which was not much. It felt more dangerous to me, for morale and health to not get out and get exercise for 2 months, than to walk outside with mask, etc, even at time when we felt it was most fearful. it sounds like the smoke is more dangerous though, in a way.

@Kim I'm sorry about the gardening job slowly disappearing. I hope something to replace it comes up.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    The camp is located in a rural area just 4 miles out town, surrounded by wineries, cattle ranching and park land. It is 144 acres that has not been open to the general public in almost 100 years, with 14 fully contained cabins, and kitchen that can provide 200 meals, an infirmary, medical helipad, pool, hiking trails, a large meadow, climbing wall, zip line, tennis courts, basketball courts, bocce ball and 1/3 acre garden. The staff and I came up with dozens of ideas that would have brought money into camp. And only the ones that would generate more than they cost were written up into proposals and turned into the management team. Everyone we were asked to expand on and as volunteers we did that, and everyone was turned down. After months of this, and lots more drama, I finally gave up. This past Wednesday I quit. I will miss the garden and the overflowing produce, I will stay in contact with my friends, but the drama gone is a great feeling. I am beginning to feel some of the stress leaving me. And as they had cut my hours over and over again, my final 1 week check after taxes is just $20.34 so I will barely even notice that.

Kim from N. California

I'm sorry to hear that on many levels ... but easy stress can be worth it!

{{Hugs}}

M in Oz

• Machka9
    @Snowflake1968 So many people who have had mild symptoms of anything, and have asked themselves if they didn't have COVID. Even if it's based on changes, every little cold could be it. Sorry about the contaminated shoppers.

@Machka9 if it's not too hard to get tested you could get tested to assuage questions.

It's easy to get tested, but I would need to take a couple days off work. :neutral:

Since we have no cases and none for 35 days or so ... before that there was 1 case who came in from Victoria and was immediately hospitalised ... and before that we had no cases for about 65 days.

So the likelihood that I have it is really, really small.

M in Oz

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited September 2020
    stuck in inertia again!

I went to this meeting at work and some good things but one guy was quite agressive with me. he seems a bit paranoid to me. I had to repeat, "stop talking to me like that". (he was being loud agressive and accusing me). It was really too much and I was going to walk away. but I felt a bit annoyedand spoke a bit loudly too, so that doesn't look good. I said to him," you complain about teachers not coming to meetings and when I come (the only other teacher) you are yelling at me. it doesn't give much incentive to come." It's a weird mixed message thing. Kind of a long story, but at the union-type meetings, teachers rarely go. I was the only other teacher out of maybe 30 people present, whereas there are 300 teachers or so in the school. When I asked about the situation for teachers regarding the decree they were giving information about, they said "this decree doesn't concern teachers." I had read the decree and that is simply not so, which I said. For whatever reason they seem to always work on non-teachers' rights in these schools and look the other way when teachers come and ask questions, and don't follow up, as if it's not their business. We had, last spring, been working on the rights and salaries of non-civil servants, particularly teachers (there are two different types of contracts, civil servant and non civil servant), which are very poor, for the most part. They said, in passing, that they had recently negotiated improvement in salaries for civil servants. I was going to ask for more details but I could see that they didn't want to share that information. Basically, as usual, the unions are working for some types of employees and not for others. It regularly seems like that is an understanding, with the direction, and the ministry in charge: in order to get some progress for some, the union accepts to ignore the concerns of others. It's very disheartening.
    They complain that teachers don't come and when one comes they falsely say that teachers are not concerned by this decree and that it's off subject.

The thing is that they are radically changing work modes for COVID, pretending it's only for another semester, but it's going to be a year or two and may then become institutionalised.

I doubt I will go back again. I feel bad about the guy speaking loudly and unpleasantly to me. He was kind of accusing me, saying "you are always..." but we have virtually never spoken together. He eventually calmed down, but I found him to be paranoid and also a bit duplicitous.

It seems like that's the way it is. Basically workers rights are not respected for non - civil servant teachers very broadly, and it's such a broad issue that is seems all is done to try to snuff out any effort for action. The director's secretary was present, so she surely will tell the director about who said what. I worked for over a year to have teachers consulted and their point of view taken into consideration in a year long assessment of issues at another school. After that, the director just snuffed it out, didn't publish it, probably changed the report, etc. And many of the union people were complicit with that. it makes me very sad.

then I just want to veg out and that's it.

I go so much into inertia of late, particularly since lockdown and post lockdown.
  • Machka9
    edited September 2020
    Saturday -- My husband and I got out for a short but challenging little bicycle ride today ... challenging for us.

It was a warmish 14C with wind at 25 km/h and gusts up between 35 km/h and 40 km/h.

Distance: 21.07 km
    Elevation: 260 m 
    Moving Time: 1:19:40
    Elapsed Time: 1:33:08
    Speed: Avg:    15.9 km/h | Max:    43.9 km/h

Today's Elevation Profile

egdgclg6d87u.png

M in Oz
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all,

Not contributing much lately, sorry. The mornings are bearable but the afternoons and evenings are no fun. The VA has screwed up mailing my prescriptions, so the chances that I will get them before Tuesday or Wednesday are now slim to none. The antibiotics will take a bit to help even when they get here. The docs tested me yesterday for tons of off-the-wall possibilities, including the meat allergy thing, and those tests will be back soon, but they're pretty sure it's bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine.

On the bright side, sleeping helps, and I've been sleeping 12 to 15 hours a day most days--feel like I'm getting caught up for decades of nights where I slept four hours or less.

The other bright side is that, even as little as I'm moving, I'm losing about a pound every other day, because my appetite is way bigger than my ability to eat right now. Last night, all I wanted was pancakes wrapped around breakfast sausage (I don't know why - I have weird cravings sometimes). Corey made me three of them (quite small) and I could only eat one.

I'll be able to pick up the exercise again when I get through this, but right now, just folding clothes feels like running a marathon.

I'll check in.

Lisa in AR
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
    Hhhhhh
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited September 2020
    I can see the stars!!!! My windows open and while still a smoke smell, the air is fresh. Legs shaved with the new fancy shaver. Patio workout wearing the new sports bra and old swim bottoms. The bra straps are a bit softer after washing and a low heat tumble dry. I think I will order two more while they are on sale. The air was cool but I enjoyed every minute of it.

Anxious for dawn and my walk. I am going to walk until my kitty says enough. Catch up later, gotta order more bras, sit on my patio still donned in my two-piece sports outfit, and drink my coffee. Here is the thing girls, these boob cover supports are advertised in the style I like and my size as bras, NOT school girl BRALETTES! Fresh air and a real grown butt woman bra and life is great.

Faye high on fresh air
    On the Lewis and Clark trail
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member

1031910m5uhc2jyfc.gif
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,959 Member
    RBG :'(
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,637 Member
    Morning ladies
    Im lying down for a nap..i was awake at 1:30 am and left home at 3:15 and was up to N.H. for sunrise at the beach..
    The cottage is uninsulated so its darn clld,but i packed for it.
  • Machka9
    Fascinatingly (to me) ...

I had deviated septum and turbinate reduction surgery in July. Since then, I have done a few short, casual rides and a Zwift or two. I didn't notice much difference except that my nose would run like a faucet if it were slightly chilly and it would hurt.

I haven't ridden in about 3 weeks, so my nose has had another 3 weeks to heal, and today was warm.

When we were doing the climbs today, I realised something ... I was breathing through my right nostril! What a novel feeling! Actually getting air through both nostrils!  I didn't have to breathe through my mouth as much! Climbing was slightly less painful!

M in Oz