WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline,
    Bonus: pulled a little salal, weeded and mulched 15’ of flowerbed.
    Get to do: inventory donation then call for appointment, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Tuesday: call Progressive adjuster,
    Self Care September
    25: Release yourself from inner demands and self-criticism, just breathe and let it go?

Played in the dirt for a couple of hours before the rain returned. The mixed mustard starts have really taken off (much better than the red lettuce mix). Really enjoy the “bite” they and the surprise arugula bring to a romaine salad.

Heather the Edie bday pics really gave me a lift. Envy the roman candles on her cake. Fireworks here are still verboten until we’ve had more rain.

Deb from MA, Like Barbie, I read/scan/scroll through all the postings, usually once a day. Like Evelyn said, we’re a chatty bunch. It’s a busy thread so there can be 4+ pages per day.
    Terri thanks for the reminder about the notifications bell icon for when people use the @username format. I’d forgotten it was there.

Savoring the sweet, soft, steady rain while it lasts. There’s another Chetco effect with temps in the 80s forecast for next week.

Lisa missing you and hoping you’re feeling better.
    Sharon, Kylia, missing you too!

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    September: better than August.
    daily: sit with Joe: 25, weigh: 25, steps>5491=2729 vits=24.5 log=25 CI<CO=19 CI<250<CO=12 Tumble & Shadow 5=26 mfp=24 outside=23 up hill=25
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=3 dance= clean 30 mins=9.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant= 20for20=
    bonus: AF=14 play= sew=2
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,194 Member
    edited September 2020
    Barbara - They are indoor fountain candles. I adore them. A restaurant we used to go to always used them for people's birthdays and I was so impressed I've been ordering them from Amazon. Huge fun for the kids and for me! :p
    Edie said that the EDIE IS 7 sign was very unusual and she had never seen one. 'How did you find it?' :D<3

Weather chilly, but sunny. I hope to go for a run after lunch. My legs have been aching at night. :( Change in the weather.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,056 Member
    Hi all! Heather: 😍 party pics. Eddie is growing fast.
    Evelyn: My body gives me 🔥 when I over indulge. I’m beginning to learn my lesson, but sometimes........

Weather is chilly but dry. Gotta go get essentials army local supermarket then will be sorting our bulbs for planting and tidying up in the garden. Most of our produce is finished although cucs are still prolific, and we have an unexpected second crop of rhubarb.

Live long and prosper

☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    edited September 2020
    Thinking about trying out Flotation Therapy.

Have any of you tried it?

I'm thinking about grad pressies from me to me.

Ideas:

Flotation Therapy + Massage

Professional Deep Clean of the Carpets (I might get that done anyway)

Laptop - mine is 5 years old and is OK but I would kinda like to pass it on to my husband and get myself a new one.

I have no idea what else!

M in Oz
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited September 2020
    Good morning all! Well, the doctor visit went well with lots of blood taken to do all the necessary tests. Half of the vials were for the yearly cancer screening. Should have the results in a week. The only issue I had after leaving was noticing they had me down as 5'8". That had to be a mistake as I have always been 5' 9" and was last year. I measured when I got home and was 5' 9". This morning I decided to retire my sandals till next spring and so this morning I am 6' with my 3" heel booties. I measured and was exactly 6'. Age hasn't shrunk me yet. I was surprised how well I walked in these heels this morning. They are super comfortable for my super high arched feet and do actually help my back if I maintain good posture. The only thing I hate about fall footwear is having to change into my athletic shoes for walking. My sandals are great for long-distance walking and everyday wear.
    Faye

sfktn6qh5cx2.jpg

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,684 Member
    Morning ladies
    Slept reasonably well ,very hard when its not your own bed..
    Machka- when i worked at dentist ww would prescribe antibiotics to calm the infection before trying to work on a tooth that was painful,the reason it wouldnt get numb
    Once the course of antibiotics was done it would be much easier to get work done...
    Hopefully Faith is more awake today ,last couple days just out like a light.
    I am enjoying the birds here at least i dont get written up for feeding them up here.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    Machka- when i worked at dentist ww would prescribe antibiotics to calm the infection before trying to work on a tooth that was painful,the reason it wouldnt get numb

My dentist told me that is one reason a nerve wouldn't get numb, but that I don't appear to have an infection in that tooth. Another reason is that the tooth is dying, but again, it doesn't appear to be dying.

We're waiting a couple weeks for the next step and one of the reasons for the wait is to see if an infection develops or more evidence that it is dying. If not, then it's just the nerve.

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,520 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    Made soup for me, catfish for us to have during the week and chicken.

My starter from King Arthur came!!!! I think I was too anxious the last time and the second it rose and passed the float test, I just HAD to make bread. This time I’m not going to be as anxious and I’ll make a double batch. Update: Just did the first feeding.

Vince is feeling much better. Maybe it really was just that he was tired and his body was saying “rest”, because he slept this afternoon and now he’s much better.

Pip – I’ve never seen ice dog treats. Is that maybe frozen beef broth?

Debbie – you posted in the absolute perfect spot! I’m so sorry about your dog, what a heartbreak

Michele NC

Purée pure pumpkin and plain yogurt
  • pipcd34
    evie1958 wrote: »
    Deb, it must be a bit hard to keep up this way, having to look for your name days later, no notifications like fb? lol, we try really hard to not have to catch up for "days"! We are a very chatty bunch, and it's not unusual to have to read 3 or 4 pages each day. MFP will sort of take you back to the spot you left at, but I find I still need to backtrack frequently. Hang in there! And don't feel you need to respond to everyone, you'd never get anything else done!
    Heather so glad the birthday party went off well, she looks so lovely in the photo, seeing her cake! (which also looks darn lovely, btw!)
    Kim, it is a shame that Levi won't let you do anything with his ears, I'm sure it would be much easier to deal with if you could clean them out once a week or so. Good luck!
    Michele, glad Vince is feeling better!
    Lisa, hoping that you are feeling better too!
    Machka and Beth, I'm so glad my dentists have not had those kind of problems freezing me! I did have one who didn't put in enough and when he retired and I saw a new one, I started to cringe when SHE started drilling. She immediately stopped and asked if I could feel it. When I nodded yes, she said "well, there's no need for that!" She put in an extra shot and I didn't feel a thing. Unfortunately she had some health issues and was forced to retire, but when I found a replacement I mentioned that I needed and extra shot if he was going to do any freezing, he complied and I have had pain free dental work since. It takes a few hours before I can feel anything, mind you, but with the first one for this story, the freezing would be out by the time I got back to the car. I don't mind soup for supper if I don't have to feel the drill!
    Pip, the meerkat looks lovely! Happy that you got your money back as well!
    I did not sleep well last night, woke up after a few hours having to pee so badly I was actually in pain! (Sorry if that's TMI !) Anyway, that seemed to be the start of it and I just never really fell back into a nice deep sleep. Maybe tonight..... On the bright side, the scale was very kind this morning! Down 2 lbs since yesterday morning! If only that could be the trend.... lol I have tried to do more meal planning these past few days and cook real food from scratch and it appears to be paying off. I did do a stupid thing on Monday tho, I saw a bag of Carnaby Street Caramels (think Kraft, only a little softer...) I had to buy it. Which was fine, but then I kind of pigged out and my digestive system let me know that it was not amused... I haven't had any for the last two days, and hubby finished the last of them today. Better him than me! I can't believe that I still do things like that, end up making myself sick because I can't stop eating the junk! You'd think someone my age would know better by now! :s Apparently not tho. Oh well, they are gone now, and I will not be buying any more! And that's it for me for tonight, need some sleep!
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, on wonderfully rainy Vancouver Island! We did see the sun today, but we got some good rain too, it really was wonderful!

We already got our 5k back
  • pipcd34
    Got another donation! I’m at $750.10. Will b on the bike trainer for the next 5 or so hours or the next 60 miles, whichever comes first
  • lcharpentier2
    lcharpentier2 Posts: 350 Member
    Well there all caught up on the reading. But didn't take notes just to much. Well we had a birthday party for my sister at my brother's it was spaghetti was very good. Especially when you haven't had it for awhile. Then I was on cake duty. I made a lemon cake poked holes in it poured lemon pie filling in it. Then made homemade blueberry pie filling put that on top Then covered in Cream cheese icing. Yes it was good. Lots of compliments. My grandson licked his plate clean lol.

So today is another day poached egg and 1 tst for breakfast. And now on to a good day.
    I gained a lb by my scale this morning but hopefully it won't stay.

See you lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,325 Member
    Good morning ladies! <3

Some thoughts bubbling in my brain this morning:

Lick granulomas in dogs - decades ago, we had a beagle that wouldn't leave his paws alone. Vet finally put him on prednisone for a few weeks and as I recall, that cleared it up.

More recently, our vet suggested Benadryl for young Rosie who was licking due to allergies or sensitive skin (vet wasn't sure which), and for what seems like a year, she got half a pill (1 mg/lb) for breakfast hidden in her omega 3 treat. Now that she's on Bravecto (3 month flea treatment) she seems OK without it, although I don't think she had a flea allergy. Who knows, might be that we've changed her food a little or the Omega 3/fish oil supplement is doing the job.

Also our old Sophie, 12, started incessant licking of her "lady parts" a year or so ago. In order to curtail that, I tried giving her half a dog CB D chew each morning in her breakfast, half a chew being around 7 mg of CB D. She now rarely licks, plus it's helped her arthritis and she runs and plays with the youngster a lot more.

Fall gardening: I'm waiting for a hard frost to kill the tomatoes! What's left on the vine are pretty much split and nasty. The flower beds also need to be gone through but it's easier when things have died and dried out a bit. Maybe upcoming warm dry weather next week will help.

Seniors & dogs: Our sweet 89 year old neighbor lost his old dog Sept 1st. When I'd be up early, letting Sophie out at 3, he'd also be up letting his little Sara out and I'd see his porch light on through the trees. When my pal and I were walking a couple mornings ago, he was out in his yard walking with a cane, no dog in sight. We asked him where she was, and he said she'd died of a heart attack (she was 13, medical problems). She was his best friend after his wife died.

Anyhow, he said he's looking for a small (10#) maybe 4 year old dog to replace her. Everyone is putting out feelers for him. <3

Heading out for early grocery shopping in a bit. I need to resupply healthy non-sugary, non-processed snacks. I'm grateful for the MFP food diary - while I'm not a consistent logger, I've had streaks through the past years where I've eaten healthy and logged what I ate. Seems I run out of menu ideas so going through the "what works" list helps.

Onward and upward, my friends. Make it a fabulous day! :)

Lanette B)
    Wet and breezy SW WA State where the air is fresh!

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,045 Member
    Lanette that is what Drew is a 4 year old about 12 pounds. She does have a lot of energy and I walk her three times a day. Will he be able to walk his dog or get a dog walker? I agree dogs are wonderful companions. I feel very fortunate for finding Drew.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    LANETTE: Hoping your neighbor finds a sweet pup. I miss mine so much I ache.

LINDA: That dessert you made sounds absolutely delicious.

Tooth Pain: When I went to the dentist needing to get a crown replaced last January, I shook so much she couldn't work and kept asking me to be still. I don't think the pain was that bad, I just hated the whole procedure. Especially after having to have a molar pulled the year before. That was an experience I never want to go through again.

My bad knee ached all night last night and is giving out on me as I walk this AM. Took two Aleve and hope it gets better.

Carol in GA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather: You have obviously delighted your DGD with the EDIE is 7 sign. Excellent! :heart:

Machka: When my son and daughter in law married we were all at a resort in Utah for the festivities. They had a floatation pool with optional bubble maker beside the swimming pool. I loved the floatation pool. The swimming pool was a bit too cool for me. :ohwell:

Pip: Many thanks for your participation in the MS ride! :heart:

Lanette: Our dog gets Bravecto, too. It works well for him. I hope your neighbor finds the right dog soon. My good friend went looking for a dog a year ago. She found one at the Humane Society in Albany OR, and snapped her right up. The original owner had to leave her behind when he got a job in another state. Rescuing a dog is a good thing. It was a long drive for my friend, but well worth it. You rescue the dog, and the dog rescues you right back. :star:

Our dog is 13. He has a cancer on his backside & surgery is scheduled for October 2. We trust our vet and hope for the best. At this point, Schooner is happy and, thanks to pain meds, he is not in pain.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,334 Member
    Did yoga for Belly Butt and Thigh DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Denise Austin Fit in a Flash DVD.

Made baked rotini for Vince . Really, it’s the recipe for baked ziti only the store didn’t have ziti so I used rotini. Then made pumpkin chocolate oatmeal muffins for me. I put them in the freezer to get somewhat harder before I put them in a bag in the freezer. I just think they might stick to one another if I don’t. Now I’m making zucchini chocolate muffins for Vince which I’ll ice and he’ll never know there’s zucchini in it….shhhh.

He was still feeling achey so he went to the MD. He felt better last night, but achey today. Of course, the first thing they did was test him for Covid. It came back negative. I had a feeling it would. The symptoms he has are exactly like the ones I had when I had a reaction to my flu shot years ago. Only mine only lasted a day – maybe two. The bad thing about Vince feeling bad is that we can’t work outside. I think he just doesn’t have the stamina that I have

I never knew that if you used the @ sign you would get a notification! Not that I really would want it, anyway. I like coming here and reading everything

It used to be that I could go the whole night without getting up to pee. But not lately! Oh, the joys of getting older!!!!

Katla – I think this time I won’t be in such a rush to bake the sourdough bread so I’m sure I’ll have extra starter. Actually, I’m going to give it double the amount of feeding. I called KA and they said as long as I double the amount of starter, flour, and water, I’m fine. Added the first feeding of flour and water last night so it’s rising right now. I do see some bubbles on top and it is starting to rise.

Heather – OK, how DID you find that sign?????

Linda – that cake sounds scrumptious

Lanette – I’m sorry your neighbor lost his dog. I’m glad he’s going to get another one. When my in-laws lost their dog, one of their neighbors told us that that was the start of them going downhill. Maybe you can go to the Humane Society or SPCA and see about one. Especially older dogs need a forever home and he just might find something for him. Why not take him there? I hope he finds another dog. Many times I get good ideas of foods to have by looking at other’s menus.
    Michele NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,194 Member
    Michele - I am an Amazon addict. That's where I found it. You have to fill in the name and the age and they make it for you. I got it back within a couple of days. :) When I told her she thought a bit and said, "So, you could put Max and his age and it would come just right for him." Yes, it would. :p
    Edie also complimented me on my flowers on the table. (I hear her mother's voice) She touched them and said "You always have lovely seasonal flowers." :p<3 I explained that I like to buy pink flowers, as that is an 'accent' colour for my mainly blue house. She looked around and said, "Yes, you do have quite a lot of blue." I'm chuckling inside during all these conversations.

Didn't go for my run. Aching legs, darkening sky, freezing wind. :o I rowed and cycled for 300 bonus calories instead. I had already been out walking for vegetables.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,819 Member
    B)