WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,427 Member
    Well my cookies turned out excellent! Used the oatmeal cookies base, that's on the lid. Sugars, butter, eggs, and vanilla until fluffy, check ✔! Added flour, baking soda,.cinnamon, and salt √. Stirred and used 2 cups of old fashioned oatmeal, 1 cup of coconut flakes, handful of walnuts, and carmel bits. They turned out chewy, lacy, and really yummy!
    💖Rebecca
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,326 Member
    Beth – I know I’m a member of the rant over 50 group, and I used to see it under my bookmarks, but it’s no longer there. I wonder if it’s removed if you don’t post in a certain amount of time. I wouldn’t think so, but you never know. Update: yup, it was under “groups”. But I don’t see the DIY one, what’s happened there?

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,491 Member
    PPP, tomorrow, 25 more miles
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    :)charsuzy, I listen to audio books and podcasts while I walk. They motivate me to keep walking because I want to keep listening. I put on my walking clothes as soon as I get up in the morning (I lay them out before I go to bed) so I am ready to walk right away. I read this thread while I eat breakfast so I am more motivated to get moving.

:) I have watched a lot of baseball this year and if I don't watch too closely, the fake people in the stands look like real fans and the recorded cheers and other sounds seem pretty real to me. My team won't make the playoffs and I'm enjoying them anyway.

:) Today Jake made roasted veggies in the Ninja Foodie. He roasted tomatoes that we grew along with store bough onions and potatoes. We still have more tomatoes to roast another day.

:) We went to the grocery store this morning each with our own special list on a paper divided into grocery store sections to make it easier to find things. The only shelves that were almost totally empty were canned fruits and the only items I saw that were limited in how many you could buy were eggs and disinfecting wipes.

:)Pip, I admire your riding the MS ride without the motivating experience of the beautiful Deception Pass scenery.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,491 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)charsuzy, I listen to audio books and podcasts while I walk. They motivate me to keep walking because I want to keep listening. I put on my walking clothes as soon as I get up in the morning (I lay them out before I go to bed) so I am ready to walk right away. I read this thread while I eat breakfast so I am more motivated to get moving.

:) I have watched a lot of baseball this year and if I don't watch too closely, the fake people in the stands look like real fans and the recorded cheers and other sounds seem pretty real to me. My team won't make the playoffs and I'm enjoying them anyway.

:) Today Jake made roasted veggies in the Ninja Foodie. He roasted tomatoes that we grew along with store bough onions and potatoes. We still have more tomatoes to roast another day.

:) We went to the grocery store this morning each with our own special list on a paper divided into grocery store sections to make it easier to find things. The only shelves that were almost totally empty were canned fruits and the only items I saw that were limited in how many you could buy were eggs and disinfecting wipes.

:)Pip, I admire your riding the MS ride without the motivating experience of the beautiful Deception Pass scenery.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Yeah me too, not quite the same, that is a beautiful ride that we r missing
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    B)
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,806 Member
    <3
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,481 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline, typed hymns, emailed credit union and bank about loans.
    Bonus: one load of laundry, pulled a little more salal and blackberry vines, weeded and mulched another 12’ of flowerbed.
    Get to do: livestream church, make tuna salad, inventory donation then call for appointment, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Tuesday: call Progressive adjuster,
    Self Care September
    26: Find a new way to use one of your strengths or talents: hmm making it a habit to take the dogs down the drive every day, happy about that.

Heather would you share the indoor fountain candles link? Couldn’t find on Amazon.us
    Lanette thank you very much for the Benadryl (1 mg/lb), Omega 3 and CBD chew suggestions. Can’t get her in to vet ‘til Oct 20, so will try those. When this started she got Apoquel, not prednisone, for the week she was in the cone’o’shame. I’m not a big fan, I blame Apoquel for Dixie’s final illness. Both Shadow and Tumble get NexGuard for flea prevention and Interceptor for heartworm prevention, as Ivermectin can be life threatening for Skyes and GSDs. Are you anywhere near Cashmere WA? Kuchisabishii :lol:
    Carol [shudder] I am so with you about having teeth pulled. After a horrible experience at 17 where the DDS had to put his hand on my forehead while he twisted and pulled with pliers the impacted upper tooth, I swore “never again!” Insisted on an oral surgeon who could put me out for the wisdom tooth removal and would do the same for any extractions.
    Michele bubbles on your sourdough starter, hooray!
    Pip your virtual ride map makes it look like you biked on water!
    Charsuzy I try to flip my mental switch and not “exercise” but do fun activities, like dance, walk dogs, garden. Things I like to do AND make my body feel better. Before the pandemic I took “social” activity classes, like T’ai Chi and Line Dancing. The Better Bones and Balance class turned out to be social too, even though it was a real workout. Now I’m struggling to do these activities at home. I do much better with a scheduled, structured class with compatible people. Good luck!
    Rebecca your chief and my Joe cook the same way, everything on HIGH. So grateful he does his own cooking most of the time.
    Tracey not sure you can get an old fashioned thermometer any more, due to the mercury they contained. Seems like the hazardous materials regulations have made some old standbys hard to find, like the ammonia I want.

Hearing gunshots? shotgun blasts? from the next ridge. Kinda late for target practice. Maybe they're trying to scare the bear onto a different garbage route... ;)

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    September: better than August.
    daily: sit with Joe: 26, weigh: 26, steps>5491=3936 vits=25.5 log=26 CI<CO=20 CI<250<CO=13 Tumble & Shadow 5=27 mfp=26 outside=24 up hill=26
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=3 dance= clean 30 mins=10
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant= 20for20=
    bonus: AF=14 play= sew=2
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,791 Member
    I wonder when fictional TV shows will start including references to C-19. Using hand sanitizer. Doing extra cleaning. Distancing. Working from home. Etc. Etc.

You could add a comedic element to it. The business of having to use hand sanitiser every time you go into a different shop gets rather funny. 🙂

A coworker and I were talking about the smell and consistency of the hand sanitisers in different stores. I told him that whatever Chemist Warehouse was using now smelled so bad I had to go to Target where they've got a nicer smelling hand sanitiser to get a better smell going!

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Tracey not sure you can get an old fashioned thermometer any more, due to the mercury they contained. Seems like the hazardous materials regulations have made some old standbys hard to find, like the ammonia I want.

Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie

Ammonia

https://www.bunnings.com.au/long-life-1l-cloudy-ammonia_p4460494

qiox3pkhtfjq.png

Thermometers

https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/shop-online/814/thermometers

jd9a2atvezdc.png

M in Oz

• Machka9
    My legs are horribly achy at night and at rest. Keep me awake. I'm googling, but would welcome sensible suggestions. :'(

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

If that has come on recently, I'd get tested.

If it has been going on for some time, I'd think about what my recent hydration (water!) has been like.

M in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,183 Member
    edited September 2020
    Barbara - I found these on the US Amazon. Clearly not as many choices as over here.

https://www.amazon.com/Meiliss-Birthday-Wedding-Service-Smokeless/dp/B08DN6NGG7

Happy shopping! I did find mine gave off smoke, but we were by an open door.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited September 2020
    Heather Your legs aching could be from many causes. One most common is electrolyte imbalance. What is causing the imbalance might take some experimenting to find out. A blood test for electrolyte and vitamin levels might give a clue. I had the problem for many years and finally, it was determined that my body didn't process the vitamins out of some foods. The tablet form of vitamin D and E that I was taking was just being wasted, They put me on liquid capsule vitamins and protein shakes full of vitamins, and the problem solved. Sometimes as we age our systems quit processing foods like they once did.
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Michele The DIY group died. Some left for lack of activity and a few recent joiners were info gatherers.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,315 Member
    Barbara - good luck with Tumble. Sophie can't take the benadryl - she has a bad reaction - sick to her stomach and shivering - but the CBD treats go right down. It's even OK to "double the dose" now and then - I called the company.

Karen and Katla both use CBD on their pups if I recall.

Hey, thanks for the lead for Champ in Cashmere! Poodle mixes are great. John said what he liked about his little Sara is that she didn't shed - great poodle and schnauzer trait. Unfortunately, Cashmere would be over half a day's drive. :(

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • Machka9
    Faetta wrote: »
    Michele The DIY group died. Some left for lack of activity and a few recent joiners were info gatherers.

You could add a thread or two in the Women's 50+ Group. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited September 2020
    I need to get back to my assignment but meanwhile ...

Sunday --

We went to watch our son and daughter-in-law play hockey.

Then we went to Spotlight where we got some of the stuff that goes in the middle layer of a facemask. While we were there, we figured we'd get more cloth for the front and back of the facemasks too ... and the elastics for around the ears.

We don't need the masks yet, but borders will open soon ...

And then we went for a walk to the beach and back!

fuatgq7b4dz8.png

l4sudsh99pm8.png

Spring in Tasmania: https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157715860584758

Machka in Oz
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Hello everyone.

Work has been very crazy which is why I have been MIA. I expect this will continue through the next two weeks as we are trying to close business for the quarter and then will be closing the books. Since I am involved in both the sales cycle and post-sales analysis, I get a double whammy. It’s all good. It keeps my on my toes and the days have been flying by.

I have been craving cornbread. Believe it or not I have not been able to find medium ground cornmeal here. My local grocery store finally had some in stock! Yeah. I had some overly ripe bananas so decided to make banana corn muffins. They were a wonderful addition the past week.

Annie – So happy things are progressing with Steven.

Heather – I love the new refrigerator. It’s a perfect fit! The picture of the noises is funny.

Yvonne – The weather in Florida is finally becoming more bearable too. We have another cold front on the way which will put a hold on the humidity. It’s nice being able to get outside for more than a few minutes. My eventual plan is to live in a small cottage. I have been downsizing for quite some time. I let go of things until I am uncomfortable and review every 3 months or so. It’s amazing how much we can live without.

Ginny – Sending positive thoughts DIL has a speedy recovery. Hoping DS and his friend do not test positive.

Pip – Yogi looks like he is having a grand time at the beach and hotel! A natural traveler. 😊

Couch discussion…..I had a traditional couch, loveseat, and chair combo. I am now down to the couch in my downsizing plan. If I decide to stay here for a period longer than a few years I will get rid of the couch and buy two nice recliners and two club chairs.

Dr. Katie – I am sorry about your family’s loss of your DN.

Machka – For many years I was on the response team at work. Many moons ago I also gave it up. It’s not that I would not assist in any given situation, but like you decided I needed one less work responsibility.

Piles, pile rooms, etc. – I cannot bear to have a lot of clutter. It’s just not in my nature and makes me feel very uncomfortable. It’s better for me to put things away immediately after use. I still have not started the painting in the guest room and guest bathroom upstairs and the supplies are driving me crazy.

KJ – Love the body shape guide! Empty husk, broken slinky, sippy cup! LOL!

Beth – Love the meme. So appropriate!

Allie – Glad you were able to enjoy your away time. Sorry to hear about your friend.

Evelyn – Thank you – the orchid is on its own. I happened to find just the right place in the garden and simply leave it alone. Most of the plants in my little garden have been selected because the love sub-tropical weather. I do plant a few annuals every season to change things up. Overall everything is low maintenance.

Lisa – Oh, sweetie I wish there was a magic cure I could send to you!

Whew – up to page 70. Must run as I have to get some of my Sunday morning things done. I will do my best to get caught up by end of day!

SuziQ – Busy in SFL