Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    Just finished playing Chef. On the menu:
    Garlic knot bread
    Spaghetti with sauce
    Chicken fried flank steak

I am sipping my mineral water ( Pellegrino) watching Sumo and hearing noodles slurping....ack!
    💖Rebecca
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Machka - I bet that was a funny feeling at first! I have felt stuffed up for about 30 years, I have a deviated septum but not enough to have surgery on. I wish something could be done though.

I am up much earlier than I like to be on the weekend. I find the days very long when I have no plans. I will clean some and come up with a project that guess.

Tracey in Edmonton

Mine was badly deviated and I don't recall ever being able to breathe really well through my nose when I am exerting myself. And I've had a lot of colds/sinus/bronchial things where I have felt like I was going to drown because my nose blocked up so quickly and completely, and my throat/lungs have been inflamed and swollen.

How would you like to send me some of those extra hours in your days? :smiley:

I keep looking for an extra 6 hours or so each day!

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited September 2020
    Options
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 37min 9sec, Apple watching only, 3.1ap, 8.20mi (more like 8.5)= 907c
    Strava app= 994c
    Walk to dinner then bk and take yogi, Apple Watch- 46min, 2.9ap, 1.91mi= 184c
    Strava app- 232c

Total cal 1091
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Machka9
    Options
    Since February 2015, I have been focused on my degree (and work and since 2018, my husband). I have kept the house looking reasonably presentable (just don't go into the office, OK?) during that time, and I have deliberately not looked at certain areas (I'll deal with that later!).

I have one assignment to go until I am finished my degree. I have started the assignment by setting up the structure we plan to use and then sending that structure to our tutor to confirm whether or not we've got it right. So this weekend, I'm waiting for his response.

Whilst I'm waiting, I thought I'd start taking a look at what needs to be done around here!

I would like to streamline things quite a bit ... declutter, get a bunch of stuff scanned so I don't have to keep the paper copies, get rid of some clothes, etc.

I'd like to be able to walk into the house and not have this nagging feeling at the back of my mind that I really should do something about ... this, that and the other.

So I'm starting to make a list of what needs to be done.

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: Thanks for the dog cookie recipe!!! I have it printed and saved. The next thing to do is find a bone shaped cookie cutter. That seems like part of the fun. :bigsmile:

Snowflake: Enjoy transforming your craft room to be a comfortable sitting room. :star:

Machka: I like “LOW RISK ISN’T NO RISK.” Thanks!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

I have a neighbor who is older, and has an ancient laptop who uses it just for email, a bit of googling, and an occasional word document. It is slow and is beginning to act weird. She would like help getting a new laptop- I did a little bit of googling, and everything is about the really cool best ones, she really needs a super basic one. Anyone have a suggestion? Learning new things is hard for her, so it needs to be a PC.

Kim from N. California
  • Machka9
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: I like “LOW RISK ISN’T NO RISK.” Thanks!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

I follow the World Health Organisation on Facebook, and every few days things like that come up. :)

M in Oz

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @Kate that is rough, cast and upcoming local lockdown. understandable that you would feel down. How/what are you eating differently if you can't do veg prep? are you able to do find good alternatives? maybe : quality frozen veg or veg juices, pre-prepared veg soups?

@Faye, great news that you can see the stars and walk outside. I don't know if this guy is more aggressive because of COVID. He seems a bit off that way.

@Suzi, thanks. projects can help but I don't know, for me, if they can replace humans. it feels like COVID has ended most of human interaction, for foreseeable future. I just saw a news clip that says COVID is here to stay. People are talking about at least one or two years. It could be longer. Sweden which never had lock down had more loss early on, but less later on.

@Ginny which model of merrells did you get? I was looking at a pair in a shop this summer but they were out of my size.

@GodMomKim I would check on Cnet for budget laptop reviews. https://www.cnet.com/topics/laptops/products/ you can enter price ranges. at custom prices you can put any price range, like 200-300, or even less, with reviews, notes, etc.

(((Lisa)))
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    it feels like COVID has ended most of human interaction, for foreseeable future. I just saw a news clip that says COVID is here to stay. People are talking about at least one or two years. It could be longer. Sweden which never had lock down had more loss early on, but less later on.

Right.

If 8 billion people are going to live on this planet together, we will have to make every effort to:

Wash our hands often.
    Clean everything ... often.
    Keep our distance.
    Limit social gatherings and crowds.
    Open the windows to increase ventilation and get fresh air.
    Stay home if we've got the slightest illness.

Those things will help protect us from the current pandemic and those that follow.

And those things will likely remain in place, to some extent or another, for the rest of our lives.

So we'll have to rethink how we do things.

We can have human interaction ... just not how we did before. In my area, for example, it was lovely during the lockdown. Instead of hastily walking along the footpaths not looking at each other, we looked, smiled and waved at each other from across the road. Neighbours waved to each other from our yards, even those who had never spoken. Even in shops people have been nicer. It was a lot more friendly.

Even now as things are opening up, I see a lot more people out walking.

We were out and about further than usual yesterday and noticed that, in general, the motor traffic was much lighter than it used to be. That was delightful! Especially for cycling!

I think it is OK to leave your home and get outside to exercise, wave and smile at people, and get fresh air as much as possible. It's healthy and boosts our spirits. :)

This article is from April, but may still apply these days ...
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-12/dinner-on-the-driveway-covid-19-events-keep-connections-alive/12135026

Machka in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I think I've chosen my paint colours for the living room. :D I was awake early this morning, so used the time.
    The decorator has budgeted only for trade colours, but I'm not sure paying a lot for fancy pants names is worth it anyway.
    New Duck Egg for the walls, door and skirting and Urban Grey for the contrast paintwork.

Still emptying and cleaning the fridge/freezer ready for the new one tomorrow. :)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    @Kate that is rough, cast and upcoming local lockdown. understandable that you would feel down. How/what are you eating differently if you can't do veg prep? are you able to do find good alternatives? maybe : quality frozen veg or veg juices, pre-prepared veg soups?

DH will prepare stuff and we do use frozen veg. so main meals are ok but I can’t get my mojo back re healthy eating and I’m consuming a lot of ‘crap’ in between. Even using this as excuse not to exercise even though I can
    I need a good kick up the posterior (( sigh))

Kate UK ❤️
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

I have a neighbor who is older, and has an ancient laptop who uses it just for email, a bit of googling, and an occasional word document. It is slow and is beginning to act weird. She would like help getting a new laptop- I did a little bit of googling, and everything is about the really cool best ones, she really needs a super basic one. Anyone have a suggestion? Learning new things is hard for her, so it needs to be a PC.

Kim from N. California

>>>

I used to have an Acer that I loved. Very basic.

My grandson has an Asus that is basic but reliable.

>>>
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    Kim - It sounds like you made the right decision re the camp. Learning when to let go of something that isn't working is something I've got much better at, but it's a difficult skill to learn. I'm a bit of a persister by nature and don't like to be defeated, so I have a tendency to carry on for too long. I have learnt a lot from my DDIL who is good at making big life changes. If it's not working for her in a really positive way, she drops it and finds something else.
    Finding a new source of income and congenial company might be tricky at the moment, but I'm sure you are imaginative enough to come up with something. Is there something you could do with other ex employees?
    Anyway, good luck. :D<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    1l0pblfder46.png
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: another load of laundry, typed hymns
    Bonus: mending
    Get to do: livestream church, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, measure potential greenhouse space and distance to outlet, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Tuesday: call Progressive adjuster,
    Self Care September
    19: Give your mind and body a boost, do something active outside!

Low key day yesterday. Think Joe was hurting, he was grumpy. Sometimes the house is just too quiet. On the good side I organized one sewing basket, the dog food shelf, patched and mended a Hawaiian shirt and sewed a button on a pair of pants that have been languishing in the mending pile for months.

Julie, Kate, Lisa ((hugs))
    Machka gorgeous pics, hooray for breathing through both at once! Making a list of what needs to be done? Would you consider putting “relax a bit” as the first thing for after uni? ;)
    Linda in N. Ont good to see you back. Well done with the grands and the berries!
    Tracey how did you win the Google Nest? Win win on the craft to sitting room conversion.
    Faye successful shopping and can see the stars? Hooray!
    Lanette thanks for the Endeavor recommendation. How do you access it, PBS or Amazon Prime or ?
    Debbie in Napa Congratulations on your 28 year accomplishment!
    Allie that sounds delish.
    Beth the clear strong thing the bugs smash into? “. . .Every. Dang. Day. . . . Because I still have a medically fragile individual in my home and I still care about the people whom I come in contact with” Amen sister, amen.
    Pip amazed Yogi fits in that trailer! ;) Thanks for the recipe!
    SuziQ your truth is my truth too. Agree with Julie and Machka that COVID is here to stay. Looking at a future with no hugs gets me down. Have to exercise my grateful-for-the-present-moment muscle along with all the others. {sigh} The Bailey’s Cherry Chocolate sounds like it might be just the rx I need ;) I have some dark hot chocolate …
    Ginny in OH agree, investing in good shoes is like investing is a good foundation.
    Rebecca lucky gal!
    Katla Sending good vibes for Schooner’s surgery on the second. Called vet to make appointment for recheck on Shadow’s lick granuloma and they are “booked out in Brookings ‘til DECEMBER.” They have another office in Gold Beach that had an opening the third week in October and I took it and made appointment for November when her annual and shots are due. Several of their doctors have moved away and the Covid protocols have really taken their toll.
    Kim even a Windows pc might mean your neighbor has to learn new things. Windows 10 is NOT like any of the prior Windows and has been a struggle for me. Might check around for a used computer store with a knowledgeable owner. My Dell laptop had been reliable if disappointing. Does your neighbor have family/friends far away? She might like one with web cam and mic for zooming.
    Heather could you share a swatch of “new duck egg”?
    Karen in VA I remember some Acers with fondness, others, not so much ;)

So I woke at 2 am, dinked around in the kitchen, then chatted here and now it’s almost time to get up to go to the beach :smiley:

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    September: better than August.
    daily: sit with Joe: 20, weigh: 19, steps>5491=3359 vits=18.5 log=19 CI<CO=14 CI<250<CO=9 Tumble & Shadow 5=20 mfp=19 outside=17 up hill=19
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=2 dance= clean 30 mins=5.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant= 20for20=
    bonus: AF=10 play= sew=2