WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Beth near Buffalo: I share the challenge of caring for a medically fragile person, my husband. Like you, I wear the mask whenever I am out. Unlike your situation, nearly every person in our community does the same as we do. They all wear masks. You can’t go into the grocery store without one, and if you don’t have one, they will provide a mask. :star:

Kim: I have no good ideas about simple computers or tablets. :ohwell: DH looked to see whether he could find something useful. He's found that the new ipad is likely a good option, but it would be wise to confirm that out with her bank. :flowerforyou:

Machka: I love the Lord of the Rings quotation. Brilliant for these times. :star:

Lisa: Stores in our town have “senior hours” from about 8am to 10am. After that they are wide open. Everyone has to wear a mask or leave whether they are seniors, kids or anyone between. I haven’t seen any infants in the stores that were not fully wrapped up with faces hidden. :heart:

Margaret: We had to drop our cleaning service because they refused to wear masks inside our home. I offered to buy them masks and they declined. :ohwell:

Linda in CAN: “Remember to be good to #1” is excellent advice. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I love the poodle getting a pat on the head. I suspect most of us need one, too. :smiley:

Heather: I love the new duck egg color, now that I know what it looks like. Our bedroom is the same color. :star:

Pip: Thanks for the doggy cookie cutter link to amazon. :star: Good luck with your trip to San Diego. I hope you find just what you’re looking for. :flowerforyou:

We have a cloudy sky this morning, but the air quality still looks good. The Washington Department of Ecology says AQI is 16 and ozone is 3. It is safe to breathe out there!!! Good news! (We live directly opposite of the Columbia River from WA, & their air quality station is right across from us.)

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    What was your body type when you were a teenager and what is it now?

I was always an inverted triangle despite weight gain or loss. My mother,
    her mother, and grandmother were all inverted triangles. I learned in my
    teens that I could change my fitness, but I couldn't change my figure to
    the coveted hourglass. Any attempt to put size on my bottom resulted in
    belly and waist fat. Has weight (loss or gain) changed your figure or just
    changed your size?

aepfn4qbe323.jpg

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Julie - we talked about this at work the other day and we are preparing to go into 2022 with restrictions and such.
    I think the Spanish Flu lasted at round 2 years too didn’t it? I wonder if they had as many people refusing to acknowledge it or follow restrictions?

Heather - New duck egg is the similar colour I had in my bathroom. I liked it with grey but my husband didn’t. I have yellow and grey in my bathroom now and we both like it.
    I store ham and pickles in the fridge as well. I thought that was the norm.

Barbara - sometimes I wish for a quiet house. Rodger watches tv or plays a game when he is awake. I like to putter to music, but enjoy a bit of silence every night before I go to bed.
    I won the google nest at work. In April 2 of them showed up at the nursing home as a donation from some company. They were intended for residents to use for video chats, we had already purchased two iPads for this purpose and the iPads were easier to be disinfected between “visits” so we didn’t use them. The nest has an almost cloth like speaker/base. This week in our biweekly team meeting we drew names from the leadership team for them. Our chef one the second one.
    I’m with you, I miss hugs too and my friends. I do have my family and I’m very grateful for them.

Margaret - how selfish of that man not to wear a mask and tell you ahead of time. Fortunately you were outside and hopefully closer to 6 ft apart.
    We are no longer doing asymptomatic testing in Alberta. I think that makes sense as it gives people a false sense of security. Just because you were negative the day of the test doesn’t mean you don’t have it a week or two later.

Kelly - I hope you have a wonderful visit with Lauren and the boys. I also your your families take heed.
    As for a tiny home I couldn’t go any smaller than I am now. We currently live in in about 700 sq feet. In the dead of winter I long for more space. In the summer I can get outside.
    I think my sitting room area will help with this in the winter this year.

Faye - I was an inverted triangle and am now more a diamond. Up until March I was working and starting to look more like the inverted triangle.

Well I have sold more items this morning. I have to go out and pick up some stuff for work and deliver it. I also need a few groceries.

I should get on with it.
    Have a great day everyone.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • Katla49
    Options
    Tracy, you were right regarding the Spanish flu. It lasted 2 years according to what DH found online. When did the Chinese jets land in Portland & Seattle?
  • Katla49
    Options
    I found April 22 as the date flights from China with passengers carrying the Corona Virus. Correct me if this is not accurate.
  • Katla49
    Options
    They landed in Seattle & Portland. Things have been topsy-turvy ever since then.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :)Tracey,
    I love your plan to convert your sewing/craft room into a sitting room. I have all my yarn and craft materials stored in a few boxes in a closet and do my knitting either while on my bike or at the dining room table. That allows me to use space in my house more efficiently. Having special rooms for single use is the domain of the wealthy with huge homes. We ordinary people have to be more creative in our use of space. That's great that you have been able to sell some unused items to have money to create your new space.

:) Thanks to headphones, Jake and I can watch and listen to different things at the same time.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

• Katla49
    Options
    I think my dates are wrong.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Tracey - It was jam, not ham! :D
    My DH and i have an agreement not to make noise that the other can hear if the other person isn't actively participating. So, I wear headphones for my languages and he has his laptop on mute for sports. If we want to have something on TV that the other isn't interested in then we have to go into a different room. DH has a TV for sports in his den and I go up to our bedroom. I'm very happy up there as I use our bed for writing, Zooming, watching TV and my languages. It's my office. I always sit anywhere with my feet up. I need a whole sofa to lounge on. :o Hate sharing!
    Your idea of a room of your own is excellent. We spend a lot of time in different rooms. Keeps us happy! <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    Good ride this morning while kirby took yogi for his walk. Did the course 2 times
    1m8tdym5nqym.png
  • lcharpentier2
    lcharpentier2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    :)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    New Duck Egg is so pretty…

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Georgia is unusually chilly today! :/

KIM ~ For the person looking for a new laptop...my PC died on Friday and I went to Walmart to look around. They had an HP laptop for $215. I would have been scared to get one that cheap. I ended up purchasing an HP Slimline Desktop for $299. It takes up a lot less space than my old one and has 4GB of memory. Seems to be working quite well.

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    https://www.meerkattrailers.com/the-meerkat/

What we are going to go look at tomorrow
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,826 Member
    Options
    Done with the cat finally! But now gotta prepare for campground and park Opening October 1. Sweeping pavilion, washing pavilion windows, preparing handouts, and figuring out how to stop random campers from coming in. We are only taking reservations from now on. I also am making a new version of masks to keep on my neck when not in use to deal with campers.
    Late night last nigh, so lazy day today.

Today is September 20, 2020
    National women’s Friendship Day-worldwide
    World Children Day— Germany and Austria
    Day of the Geotope- Germany
    National Rum Punch Day- US
    National Punch Day- US
    National Youth Day- Thailand

Happy Friendship Day Ladies!

RvRita
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Barbie - I am far from wealthy, my craft room is a combination spare room, craft room and storage room. The scrapbooking supplies take up so much space! Then we have the wood slice ornaments that take up more space. I need to really organize and be ruthless in my decluttering. I am planning on using the spare bed as a daybed so it’s more couch like.

Heather - I must have had a typo I didn’t notice because I meant jam. 😂. I would hope your ham was in the fridge!

Tracey in Edmonton
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Ohhh its been a lovely couple days .. and tomorrow morning going up to the lake ,ill drive up and he will drive up but at least and get a day and an overnight there...will get to hear the loons..so this has been a wonderful weekend..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Just watched my recording of "Mamma Mia - Here we go again". :D DH is watching his football in his den.
    Not nearly as good as the first one. But I was happy to see Merryl Streep pop up at the end, I missed her soooo much all the way through. :'( The finale was excellent.

Now to watch a new series - Us. :) It's been very hyped, which is not usually a good thing. ;)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• Katla49
    Options
    Lisa: I am delighted that you received your medicine. :heart:

Pip: The Meer Cat you’re looking at seems interesting. I’ll hope you'll share your opinion after you and Kirby see one of them “live and in person.” :star:

RVRita: I hope your camping season brings nice people who will follow the rules and be friendly. :flowerforyou:

Fae: We had a beautiful morning, too, and now we’re having a lovely afternoon. It is so good to have clean air!!!! :bigsmile:

Margaret: I’ve already mentioned that our local stores keep a supply of paper masks available for customers who don’t have their own. Perhaps you could get a similar supply so that the professionals who test your furnace and do other important services will be able to have one of yours to keep if they don’t have one with them. Just a thought. You would be protecting yourself and them. We all have to be cautious for our friends and loved ones. :flowerforyou: Faye has some excellent comments.

Heather: I hope your new refrigerator comes on time and that it is perfect for you. :star:

We’re having a bright sunshiny day, and here I sit indoors. It would be a good idea to get outside and exercise for a little while. Maybe I can talk DH into a walk.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Heather - I agree that Mamma Mia - Here we go again was not nearly as good as the first one. The first one I’ve watched several times, the second I’ve only seen the once.

Tracey