DOGS!!!!๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ

Options

Replies

• Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I rescued a black lab mix many years ago, she was just a puppy, loved her to pieces but when I had to put her down at 10, I swore off dogs forever. Couldn't stand the pain in my heart. :( But the house was sooo quiet it only took me 2 months to search for another dog. I found a litter of 10 puppies through a shelter on Petfinder in Arkansas and applied for one of them, all 10 puppies were named with names starting with H so I stuck with her name of Holly. She's a very exuberant lovable crazy chocolate lab mix, 7 yo now. Then a year later, not sure what I was thinking but saw a 2 yo dog(had been found on the streets very pregnant :() on Petfinder that was being fostered 3 hours away(originally from the same shelter, had delivered a litter of puppies with J names :)) and her name was Josie so I took it as a sign because I had a great-aunt named Josie. Hey, to ME it was a sign. :) Plus she looked very sweet, black and white mixed breed and she is a sweetheart through and through. She's got a white muzzle now though and is showing her age, at around 8 yo. They can be very protective together and rascals but they're my friends, companions, and best pals. :)
    Anyways, long story short(too late haha)I have 2 lovable mutts.

@ReenieHJ
    I love how you love your dogs. How did you introduce a 2nd rescue dog into your life? My 6y.o. rescue Maltese boy Foggy is starting to have 'only child syndrome' or worse, 'only child during quarantine syndrome'...
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing these. ^^ Sooo sweet.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I rescued a black lab mix many years ago, she was just a puppy, loved her to pieces but when I had to put her down at 10, I swore off dogs forever. Couldn't stand the pain in my heart. :( But the house was sooo quiet it only took me 2 months to search for another dog. I found a litter of 10 puppies through a shelter on Petfinder in Arkansas and applied for one of them, all 10 puppies were named with names starting with H so I stuck with her name of Holly. She's a very exuberant lovable crazy chocolate lab mix, 7 yo now. Then a year later, not sure what I was thinking but saw a 2 yo dog(had been found on the streets very pregnant :() on Petfinder that was being fostered 3 hours away(originally from the same shelter, had delivered a litter of puppies with J names :)) and her name was Josie so I took it as a sign because I had a great-aunt named Josie. Hey, to ME it was a sign. :) Plus she looked very sweet, black and white mixed breed and she is a sweetheart through and through. She's got a white muzzle now though and is showing her age, at around 8 yo. They can be very protective together and rascals but they're my friends, companions, and best pals. :)
    Anyways, long story short(too late haha)I have 2 lovable mutts.

@ReenieHJ
    I love how you love your dogs. How did you introduce a 2nd rescue dog into your life? My 6y.o. rescue Maltese boy Foggy is starting to have 'only child syndrome' or worse, 'only child during quarantine syndrome'...

I took my 1st rescue with me to see how they'd interact and they were wonderful together, running around the foster's yard, playing like best buddies. So I brought rescue #2 home and took a chance. They've done really great! The first few nights were a test of boss skills because Holly was used to sharing the bed with just me. Having to make room for another had her growling from the bed a couple nights but she got over it. :)

Unfortunately being together though, they seemed to have developed a protective pack mentality that I never encountered before they were together and I've had to be careful when I take them outdoors(such as taking them in/out 1 at a time because with 2 they've very strong). Our neighborhood is filled with dogs and they tend to get beasty now with other dogs. Mostly they go charging and barking, then run back to me, but I don't trust them to not do more. :( And cats, which is something neither one of them tolerates well. But I had them in my home daycare for 7 years and they were really good; kids loved them and they loved the kids.

Do you have any chance for your dog to socialize with other dogs at all? Even bringing him to a doggie daycare once a week or something?
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I have 2!

My elkhound will be 5 at Hallween and my Dane/Boxer will be 2 in November.

Oooh pictures?? They sound beautiful!! I've always been drooly over Great Danes. :blush: And my neighbor has a boxer who is THE sweetest dog ever.
  • steph6556
    steph6556 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Dasher. 15 mo. Whippet. All love and boundless energy but also a lap dog, super sleepy. I cannot pick stuff up off the carpet without getting an invitation for playtime, which I always accept. Face licking, using me as catapult as he launches off my back for whatever reason, brings me his tug, he is the best thing I ever traveled for!