DOGS!!!!๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ

Options

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    @steph6556 I wouldn't ask the MFP'ers their opinion of deleting risque photos. :)
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options
    h4mmywfql9ss.jpg
    yq8v4guv7mud.jpg
    rqzbuqoj916c.jpg

My sweet sweet girl Barbara. โค

Sheโ€™s so beautiful ๐Ÿ˜
  • Gymnasticsgirl09
    Gymnasticsgirl09 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have a question for you guys... Do you shop or adopt?
  • Yannaove
    Yannaove Posts: 5,185 Member
    Options
    cxtq0dmizxjl.jpg

Almost 4yr old Wilbert- my Boston Terrier
  • Gymnasticsgirl09
    Gymnasticsgirl09 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Both. If I shop, it's for a dog that's probably the last of it's litter and isn't selling for some reason. They will usually end up in the shelter anyway...or worse.

I've adopted a couple of dogs over the last few years that were 'senior'. Usually someone's loyal pet until they gave them up for whatever reason. Handicap or small medical issue. I just want them to be loved at the end of their lives and not scared, in a cage.

I donate to the local Humane Society every year in some form. I did one of those birthday Facebook fundraiser things last year and collected $2500 just from that.

I think expensive pure breeds are overrated and unnecessary for 95% of dog purchases. There's no guarantee that they will be any healthier or be a better pet.

So, in my perspective of shopping or adopting, is to always adopt, but in your case, it was kind of the same, when you bought your dog. just because you get your dog from this fancy pet shop, doesn't mean that they will act any different from each other. I have rescued twice. My first dog's background was horrible. He was found in a stolen car and he was named Jessie James, because he was found in a stolen car. But he is much better, he is a fat and happy dog. I say fat but he is only 65 pounds. He is chubby. When I got my second dog, He was given up because he was too hyper and too expensive for the owners because of his many allergies. But when we got him we know he was the right one. The first dog I got ( the one who was found in a stolen car) He was happy, but he barely would play with us. When we got our second dog, he started to play with but barely and little by little he started to play again, and it was the sweetest thing. Now he will play tug of war, run with us, and love to go on car rides. I am so grateful that we picked the right dog to join our family.

@KickTheSky, I also donate to my local humane society. I started an organization, that donates to the humane society! Anyways, dogs are going to be the best friend you have!
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options

My Barbara girl was adopted back in February. I plan on adopting a little sister for her eventually.
  • supercpa999
    supercpa999 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Great topic
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    1effun6va5ii.png

What a beautiful picture of two beautiful animals!!!!!! <3
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options

Weโ€™ve had four dogs. Two were adult black labs (rip Coal and Patrick๐Ÿ’”) that we adopted directly from previous owners who could no longer have them (divorce situations). The other two were obtained from local people, one german shepherd collie mix (rip Lola ๐Ÿ’”) and our current golden retriever pup Finnegan. Weโ€™ve pretty much always stumbled upon them and never gone shopping. I did, however, always hope to get a golden retriever so we put our name down for one as soon as we learned there was a litter of ten nearby.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    @Gymnasticsgirl09
    I've had 3 dogs as an adult. All 3 from shelters. Two of them were puppies born in a shelter and the 3rd was being fostered, she was around 2 when I adopted her.
    I used to go through those pet stores as a kid and begged my parents for a sweet cute puppy. I've always adopted though. All mixed breeds, lots of lab mixed in there somewhere. :) I still have 2 of those 3 dogs and I love 'em to pieces. My last 2 I found searching Petfinder.com. Sometimes you can find rescues that cater to specific breeds.

I know someone who paid 2K for a purebred dog, only to lose him to cancer at 2 yo. :(
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    8lfqnw86gdbz.png
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    "A good dog never dies, he always stays,
    he walks besides you on crisp autumn days
    when frost is on the fields and winter's drawing near,
    his head within our hand in his old way."

Anonymous
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    @CapeCourtney12 Your dog smiling in that photo just made my day.
  • CapeCourtney12
    CapeCourtney12 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @Diatonic12 no one lives their best life better than her ๐Ÿ˜œ