Hobo_Flow Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Here, have a brawndo.

ycor12v1tu2a.jpg
  • Devil_Dawg
    Devil_Dawg Posts: 167 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Hi, I'm looking to gain a better sense of discipline and ownership of my flaws. I understand that no one is perfect but we've been programmed to think that way because everything around us tells us so. I myself need to be comfortable in my own skin and do what works for me. Feel free to add me if you like. Its refreshing to hear honest perspectives.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    My 13yo son told me he was depressed a week ago. This didn't surprise me, since he has been showing signs of depression and mid 2020 my ex insisted he instantly stop medication he was on for generalized anxiety disorder (which he was put on as a matter of urgency before it turned into depression). I told him I would take him to the doctor and get whatever treatment he needed. I informed my ex and was blasted and abused and threatened and blamed. He refused to consent to resuming medication and said I was pushing drugs onto my child. Eventually I was forced to look to the law, which states that a child of over 12 years can give their own consent for medication. I told my ex that his consent was not required and if my son felt he needs the medication to function, he can take it. I was then threatened with having both my children taken from me. He has no leg to stand on, but it has made this one hellish week with no sign of improvement. I am just so tired of fighting
    My ex is the same. It wasn't until the doc sat there in front of both of us and told him that he felt that meds could save our child's life. That the anxiety and depression was putting their life at risk. When faced with the doc prescribing it, all of a sudden he'd look like a bad guy saying no to his child's medical need.

We had to go to court to get them therapy, and now we're heading back to court to give me full custody because the kids have both decided they can't handle living there anymore.

It's so hard. It's exhausting and expensive and so damn unfair that you have to fight for their health with the one other person who's supposed to care as much as you do.

You're not alone in this. If you ever need an ear... Reach out. I am always willing to listen!

Kudos to both of you for standing up for your kids when they need you the most! Parents have a hard enough job raising kids without having to fight over every little thing with the other parent. I see a lot of parents who can't put away the hard feelings for their ex long enough to do what's right for their kids. It's heartbreaking.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    My 13yo son told me he was depressed a week ago. This didn't surprise me, since he has been showing signs of depression and mid 2020 my ex insisted he instantly stop medication he was on for generalized anxiety disorder (which he was put on as a matter of urgency before it turned into depression). I told him I would take him to the doctor and get whatever treatment he needed. I informed my ex and was blasted and abused and threatened and blamed. He refused to consent to resuming medication and said I was pushing drugs onto my child. Eventually I was forced to look to the law, which states that a child of over 12 years can give their own consent for medication. I told my ex that his consent was not required and if my son felt he needs the medication to function, he can take it. I was then threatened with having both my children taken from me. He has no leg to stand on, but it has made this one hellish week with no sign of improvement. I am just so tired of fighting

The age at which kids can make independent medical decisions varies. I thought 14 was low but 12! It absolutely works in this situation considering the other parent's judgement seems to be selfishly clouded with disdain for you.

With my kids and their two completely different scenarios, I felt it was important for them to understand both their rights as well as responsibilities when it comes to their health, the decisions they make and potential implications. It's a lot for adults so the multiple, gentle, objective, fact-based conversations you and your teen's healthcare team can have with them are important and set them up for better self-care behaviours as they mature.

You're doing good to keep your boundaries up while communicating with your ex @Versicolour. And add/remove some boundaries as the situation warrants. You're protecting yourself and your family.

No distractions needed.

Hopefully, the father will come around to helpful co-parenting and child rearing but you can't wait around for that nor can you be the one to support him to do so if he insists on being unreasonably contrarian.