Serious/heavy/deep/real stuff

Options

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Danw586 wrote: »
    My coworker dropped dead in the parking lot a few months ago, and I think about him every time I walk past his empty desk.

He was one of those guys who was always smiling and never had a negative thing to say about anyone. We worked together for 12 years.

The guy was in amazing shape. Worked out every day and ate healthy. Made me think about my own mortality and what life is about.

Well, reading that, I'm kinda thinking it's about cake!

That really sucks. What was the cause of death?
  • Danw586
    Danw586 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Danw586 wrote: »
    My coworker dropped dead in the parking lot a few months ago, and I think about him every time I walk past his empty desk.

He was one of those guys who was always smiling and never had a negative thing to say about anyone. We worked together for 12 years.

The guy was in amazing shape. Worked out every day and ate healthy. Made me think about my own mortality and what life is about.

Well, reading that, I'm kinda thinking it's about cake!

That really sucks. What was the cause of death?

Rare undetected heart issue
  • Miss_Chiev0us_
    Miss_Chiev0us_ Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    @Miss_Chiev0us and @Danw586 My thoughts are with you both. The end of a life is such a sudden shock and leaves a hole in our lives, no matter what our relationship had been or how expected/unexpected it was. They've been a part of your life and now they're not. Not only is it a difficult concept to understand and accept to begin with, but terribly emotional for so many reasons.

My sister called me last night and I knew my BIL had passed away. I've always loved my sister to pieces and liked my BIL but ever since I retired 1 1/2 years ago I've been lucky enough to spend a lot more time with them and get to really know my BIL on a much more personal level. She's been the most devoted wife and mom that I know; her life revolved around him. Fortunately their dd had come to visit this weekend so she's not alone and when my niece goes back home, I'll be there. But as much as we all try to help, she's the one who has to live with the heart pain forever. :(
    I will say this here but never to my sister but it was a Blessing for him; for the past few months+ it's been pure he!! for both of them.
    This truly $u@ks.

So sorry about your BIL, I hope your sister can find peace in all the happy moments they've had together ❤ He's in a better place now and your sister may not see it right now because she has lost the love of her life but it must be some kind of relief to not see him suffer anymore. Big hugs to you and your family xoxox
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    @Miss_Chiev0us and @Danw586 My thoughts are with you both. The end of a life is such a sudden shock and leaves a hole in our lives, no matter what our relationship had been or how expected/unexpected it was. They've been a part of your life and now they're not. Not only is it a difficult concept to understand and accept to begin with, but terribly emotional for so many reasons.

My sister called me last night and I knew my BIL had passed away. I've always loved my sister to pieces and liked my BIL but ever since I retired 1 1/2 years ago I've been lucky enough to spend a lot more time with them and get to really know my BIL on a much more personal level. She's been the most devoted wife and mom that I know; her life revolved around him. Fortunately their dd had come to visit this weekend so she's not alone and when my niece goes back home, I'll be there. But as much as we all try to help, she's the one who has to live with the heart pain forever. :(
    I will say this here but never to my sister but it was a Blessing for him; for the past few months+ it's been pure he!! for both of them.
    This truly $u@ks.

My heart goes out to you and your family, losing someone is so hard - whether it is expected or not.

And you are right, it truly $u@ks. Big hugs.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    This truly $u@ks.

I know this has been an ongoing strain for you and your family and I'm so sorry for your loss <3
  • twitchandshout
    twitchandshout Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options

This truly $u@ks.

I’m sorry, Reenie
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options

This truly $u@ks.

Im so sorry Reenie (hugs) Sorry for the loss you, your sister and family have suffered. 😔
  • Cat0703a
    Cat0703a Posts: 17,421 Member
    Options
    @ReenieHJ knowing that it was coming doesn’t make it any easier when it actually happens. Wishing you and your sister strength as you carry out the next difficult steps. Big hugs.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I can feel my depression this morning. I know it's always there, and I know I struggle with it most when I don't have anything (enough) to distract me from it all... but I still find it, I don't know... odd? surprising? *kitten* up? that it can seemingly come out of no where at any given time, on any given day.

*sigh*

If I can keep my head above water for a couple of hours while the weather warms up just a bit, I'm hoping to get out for a run. Maybe some fresh air will help.

That's the way it works. Hits you out of the blue and doesn't have to be related to anything situational. Feels very heavy doesn't it? Easier to come than to chase away. And everyone is so different that what works for one doesn't always work for another. My dear friend is a runner and she said that's her drug for depression. My drug is an actual medication. :/
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    I can feel my depression this morning. I know it's always there, and I know I struggle with it most when I don't have anything (enough) to distract me from it all... but I still find it, I don't know... odd? surprising? *kitten* up? that it can seemingly come out of no where at any given time, on any given day.

*sigh*

If I can keep my head above water for a couple of hours while the weather warms up just a bit, I'm hoping to get out for a run. Maybe some fresh air will help.

You just described word for word how I feel most days. Maybe I'm stepping over my boundaries here and you absolutely dont have to answer this as there's this stigma that men shouldn't cry but do you ever cry? I find it when I cry I feel slightly better and the depression doesn't feel as heavy.

You bring up an interesting topic for me. I used to be one who cries over sad dog movies, life's travesties, things like that. I cannot cry anymore. It simply doesn't happen and I have no clue why. I wonder if many people are like that? Is it that my heart has become hardened? Am I trying to protect myself from emotionally breaking down?
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,562 Member
    Options

*sigh*

You just described word for word how I feel most days. Maybe I'm stepping over my boundaries here and you absolutely dont have to answer this as there's this stigma that men shouldn't cry but do you ever cry? I find it when I cry I feel slightly better and the depression doesn't feel as heavy.

You bring up an interesting topic for me. I used to be one who cries over sad dog movies, life's travesties, things like that. I cannot cry anymore. It simply doesn't happen and I have no clue why. I wonder if many people are like that? Is it that my heart has become hardened? Am I trying to protect myself from emotionally breaking down?

My youngest has been struggling with depression and is on antidepressants (low dose). When we were at the docs we talked about how they feel like crying, but just can't seem to. We wondered about whether it was a side effect of the meds. The doc said that it's more likely that an increase in the meds would help bring back the tears... And that the inability to cry is often one of the signs of depression, or that the meds aren't working.

Not sure if that helps. ❤️
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,031 Member
    Options

*sigh*

I took an antidepressant after my 2nd son was born for postpartum depression. Probably needed it after everyone one of my births. But I remember not being able to cry for the 8-9 months I was on it. I would will myself to cry. I wanted to know I wasn’t completely numb. Think of my grandma or anything that would normally make me and I couldn’t. It was an odd feeling. I’m an easy cryer. It was needed for a time to get through without being the worlds biggest *kitten* but I didn’t like all the effects. You mentioned meds...could it be that?
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    @ReenieHJ So glad you're there for your sister. At the same time, condolences to you, her, and everyone else who loved him.

I know this thread is about deep stuff but sometimes it's so heartbreaking to hear how some of us are going through fires, valleys, and valleys on fire. I'm sorry but I'm hopeful that it's temporary for you all.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »

*sigh*

I took an antidepressant after my 2nd son was born for postpartum depression. Probably needed it after everyone one of my births. But I remember not being able to cry for the 8-9 months I was on it. I would will myself to cry. I wanted to know I wasn’t completely numb. Think of my grandma or anything that would normally make me and I couldn’t. It was an odd feeling. I’m an easy cryer. It was needed for a time to get through without being the worlds biggest *kitten* but I didn’t like all the effects. You mentioned meds...could it be that?

I have no idea TBH; I never even thought it could be related to medication. And it never actually bothered me much until recently when crying wasn't happening and I also wondered if I was completely numb and cold. Hmm, something to think about. Thanks for sharing that.
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    @ReenieHJ So glad you're there for your sister. At the same time, condolences to you, her, and everyone else who loved him.

Thank you @MaltedTea (love your new picture BTW)
    Today was the first day I'd since her since he passed and I feel a little better having broken that barrier. I dreaded walking in and seeing him not there, worrying about how my sister was doing and all that, you know? But she and her dd had moved the living room all around; we went for a walk and did a lot of talking/reminiscing, and my sister seemed to be doing *ok* for the most part. Yes, she'll definitely have her moments but if I can keep her occupied as much as she'll let me, then she'll make it through. Her nights will be tough. But I cannot imagine it'll be any tougher than what she's been going through the past year or so.

It's a good thing life can be wonderful and beautiful some times. This side of it sure bites.