Serious/heavy/deep/real stuff

Options

Replies

• CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    A serious question for hopefully some serious responses...

Why do you think some people find "their thing" - the thing they love or the thing they were "meant to do", while others simply go through the motions of day-to-day life?

Is it just chance?
    Is it drive and desire for more/better?
    Is it... ?

I have wondered this too
  • twitchandshout
    twitchandshout Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options

Why do you think some people find "their thing" - the thing they love or the thing they were "meant to do", while others simply go through the motions of day-to-day life?

Is it just chance?
    Is it... ?

a high degree of proficiency in many areas together with wide-ranging interests. It makes it hard to choose and hard to specialize.
  • CacoEther
    Options

Is it just chance?
    Is it... ?

I have always been a go-through-the-motions person. I still am when it comes to earning a living.

I am 40 and I have very recently (very very recently) discovered I have a passion for causes. Like all causes are worth fighting for. I ran for breast cancer awareness, I ran for gender based violence awareness and did 16 Days of Activism in various platforms. Now I have signed up to bake cupcakes to raise funds for children with cancer. None of this brings in any form of money for me, but it makes my heart sing. I would never have got to this point if it hadn't been for my past experiences.

I don't know if that answers anything though

I LOVE this ❤️❤️
  • CacoEther
    Options
    dsc84 wrote: »
    CacoEther wrote: »

Is it just chance?
    Is it... ?

I have wondered this too

I'm a go-through-the-motions person, and I'm jealous of people who have found their thing. I think for me it's having something to identify with/as... I don't have that so I feel kind of pointless. If that's not too abstract...

I'm a lot like you at times, but then I stop and think about it and what I'm jealous of. Most of the time it is because someone has found their thing and it's defined as their job. When I think of that, I realize I don't necessarily need what I do to be what defines me. I think of what is more important to me like my family and friends, and things I enjoy like going to the gym, music, food, movies, etc. and in those moments I've realized that I've actually have found my thing, it's just not that it isn't my job or what some would define as a their thing.

It's healthy and normal to want what others have, but it's also just as important to me to be thankful for what I have! Sometime I think if I could make a career out of the things I like to do and Love, and how awesome that would be. And in some cases it really would, but in other cases the enjoyment just may come out of it.

I have a passion for food, and good food. I worked in a kitchen for a long time, and at first it was great. However, about halfway through I was not very passionate about it, and it was more of go through the motions and burnout. Once I got out of working in the food industry, that passion reignited because it was no longer a chore but an enjoyment.

Just my thoughts.

So simple but so insightful. Thanks
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Revolu7 wrote: »

Is it just chance?
    Is it... ?

I can speak only for myself, and yes desire and the want for something more has something to do with it. Being able to take risks is huge too. However, there is some chance involved. Like if i had a family i may be less inclined to go all in and take big risks. I have always said ill bet on the one thing i have the most control over, myself 10/10 times. But im not sure it would be the same if setbacks or temporary failure impacted loved ones negatively. I still think anyone can search for better, but i think each path is going to be different.

The idea of risk taking and who those risks might impact is an interesting point... thanks.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options

Is it just chance?
    Is it... ?

Lack of opportunity to explore "that thing".
    Aversion to risk.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

Is it just chance?
    Is it... ?

When I retired, I felt a little lost. I'd been working 50+ hours a week for 39 yrs.; my life was filled to the brim with working, living, breathing being a childcare provider along with being a mom of 3 who have now been on their own for 20 yrs. My friends told me now it was time for me, for whatever it was I've always wanted to do but never had time for. TBH, I was stumped. Still am a lot of the time. :/ I feel like I simply fill in little pockets of time with things to keep me busy. So I try to focus on things that make me feel needed, worthwhile, calm, happy. As far as having a passion, a calling or my thing, I'm not sure I'll ever find that. There are things I'd like to get into such as hiking but lack a hiking partner. I'd like to volunteer but between Covid and my introverted personality/lack of self-esteem, that hasn't happened.

I think drive has a lot to do with putting yourself out there and finding things you care about. Confidence, time constraints, enthusiasm; I don't think chance has as much to do with it because I believe, for the most part, we can create our own chances, our own opportunities in life.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

Is it just chance?
    Is it... ?

For me, just chance. I was doing a perfectly adequate job when I got a temporary contract to work in a different role for 18 months (same employer, no risk) and suddenly I'd found my niche. I went in and out of both positions for several more years but I've been doing "my thing" permanently since 2007. I'm good at it, and I love what I do.

I'm not very ambitious or driven so I'm sure I would have continued plodding along had this opportunity not landed in my lap.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

Is it just chance?
    Is it... ?

I wonder if there is any correlation with personality type. Are people who tend to be more passive/introverted/insecure less apt to find their "thing"? My initial thought is yes as they are, based on my own experience as a passive/introverted/insecure person, less apt to be involved in a wide variety of experiences. Insecure would also suggest less apt to take risks...

I also wonder if they'd be more apt to quit if/when things got difficult. So maybe they are both less apt to find their thing, but also less apt to keep it.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

Is it just chance?
    Is it... ?

I wonder if there is any correlation with personality type. Are people who tend to be more passive/introverted/insecure less apt to find their "thing"? My initial thought is yes as they are, based on my own experience as a passive/introverted/insecure person, less apt to be involved in a wide variety of experiences. Insecure would also suggest less apt to take risks...

I also wonder if they'd be more apt to quit if/when things got difficult. So maybe they are both less apt to find their thing, but also less apt to keep it.

In my experience, introverted people usually are really good at finding their thing, they are just less apt to want to share it with others.
  • twitchandshout
    twitchandshout Posts: 1,591 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

Is it just chance?
    Is it... ?

In my experience, introverted people usually are really good at finding their thing, they are just less apt to want to share it with others.

Yeah, I’ve seen this in action many times.

I think it’s a mistake to conflate introversion with passivity and insecurity. Sometimes they go together. Often they don’t.
  • _sw33tp3a_11
    _sw33tp3a_11 Posts: 4,692 Member
    Options

Is it just chance?
    Is it... ?

I think for me being that introverted, shy, insecure person has definitely halted my ability to take "my thing" and turn it into a successful thing. Whether it be for personal or financial gain. I have also been shamed for it. Its one of the main reasons why I stopped pursuing my passion.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options

Is it just chance?
    Is it... ?

Insecurity and being introverted has definitely been a drawback for me. It's kept me from getting involved to the point I want to be involved, especially for things such as volunteerism. My personality plays too much of a part in convincing myself I'm not capable. I always feel judged in everything I do so tend to stay in my comfort zone. Not too many opportunities come knocking on my door for seeking my passion. :)