WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    :)Sheri, Your husband is a keeper. What an awesome thing to do for you.

:) Jake has all sorts of heart issues. The cardiologist says that his heart is "complicated". Among the meds he takes is lasik. He has done so for years.

:'( I got a text last night telling me that a woman who used to line dance with us had been hit by a car while she was walking home from Mass. The first thing I thought was why was a woman well over 80 years old going out to church and why was the church even holding services with the virus rates going up.

:) Just before bedtime, Jake told me that the hair cutting salon was closed because of something related to the power outage in the morning. I just jumped to the conclusion that it was closed because of virus concerns. That makes me feel more assured that dog grooming will be open today; Sasha needs a haircut a lot more than Jake does and both dogs need a bath.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Did a 10 Minute Solution Tone Trouble Zones DVD. I didn’t realize this is a band DVD, but that’s OK. The plan for tomorrow is to do an Advanced Strength DVD.

My arm is still sore from the pneumonia vaccine. I know it’ll just get better. It’s somewhat better than it was yesterday. But it’s still hard for me to lift my arm high or lifting something heavy. But I’ll be back to normal in a few days. I’ll just use lighter weights tomorrow and if I can’t get my arm up all the way…I’ll live.

Tracey
    – you take care of yourself. Maybe you should get tested just to be on the safe side. Even if you weren’t in contact with that person, you may have been in contact with someone who was in contact with her

Barbara
    – I like the idea of the thermometer, too. But like (I think it was) Meg said, because it’s painted on both sides, will the paint come off? I wonder if you can put a thermometer on it that you can then switch it to the back? I’m thinking that it’s probably too long to hang like a mobile. I just don’t know what I can do.

Lisa
    – thank goodness for that nurse!

M – you have such lovely photos. I always love looking at them

Lanette
    – if red grapes are good for the gut, does that include wine  :D

We’re basically giving Denise two options as to when to have Christmas, the week before or the week after. As you might recall, last year we had it two weeks after Christmas to accommodate Pete’s schedule. Then they never came. But we’d already made plans with other people so we had to have it then. I was SOO ready for Christmas to be over. If she doesn’t get back to us by Friday, we’re going to pick a date. Jess is going to Idaho. Yes, I would love for her and Colby to be here. But I totally understand. He SHOULD also be with his mother. And he was here last year. It seems that there’s a significant reduction in price of airline tickets from Iowa to Idaho if they leave the Friday before and then fly back to Iowa on the 26th then drive to NC. I would think they’d want to spend New Years with friends in VA and not mom and dad. If Denise doesn’t get back to us by Friday, we’re going to pick a date. And if she’s here, she’s here. If not…guess it’ll be like last year. Truthfully, before we pick a date, we’ll probably check with Jess as to which date is best for her. She may not realize that she’ll be here for New Years.

Sheri – Bob sure is a special cat. You know what I’ve noticed that the Humane Society is doing lately? A business pays the adoption fee and you can get the cat for free. I bet this helps with their adoption rate, which is a good thing. Bob reminds me so much of our Lexi. When we adopted her, she’d been badly abused (see pic). Then she had a poly in her ear that was so deep we had to go to NC State, the vet couldn’t get to it. Now she’s deaf but she’s happy. A few years ago she just started to meow (air was leaking out of her trachea) and now she meows (as best she can) a lot. I’m thinking it’s because she can’t hear if she meowed she does it again. Vince has read that a cat walking around meowing a lot is a sign that the cat has dementia. I honestly don’t think she does.

jwb0matnnu11.jpg

Barbie – I do hope your friend is OK. It’s probably take her a long time to heal.

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    #
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    πŸ–€πŸ§‘β€οΈπŸ’šπŸ€ŽπŸ€πŸ’›πŸ’™
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    The cold weather is here. But I don't leave the house much anymore.
    I bought myself 4 lb dumbbells for my birthday. I have to increase very gradually so I don't drop them. I was reluctant to have them shipped but I gave in. They aren't as heavy as the 15 lb bag of dog food I also ordered. And anything that keeps me out of the stores is worthwhile.

My birthday is Friday. Steven sent me a recording of him singing and playing Dreamboat Annie by Heart. So romantic! We were going to spend the weekend together but I cancelled for Covid. The numbers are too scary. Time to hunker down for the winter. And work more on that mini-stepper. I read that a 12 minute session of exercise makes a difference in the blood. That's a reasonable goal for me.

Take care, ladies! Especially Lisa and Allie. The holidays are a hard time for many, so we have to work at being cheerful, but the results are worth the work.

Annie in Delaware
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Michele Yes, red wine is good for the gut according to the teaching of an old manuscript. "Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for your stomach's sake and other infirmities."
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Well ladies
    Wont be going home anytime soon,the echocardiogram showed a very very flappy mitral valve and i will need open heart surgery.. let me tell you as this Dr is telling me this over the phone oh you need an angiogram first and a TTE which is basically an endoscopy procedure for your heart and then i will be transported to Yale in New Haven for the open heart surgery..
    To say I am shocked is an understatement. I had a good cry and then got over it..
    Please if any of you are praying people I need them aΔΊl..
    Thank you all for being such wonderful sister friends xoxox

Thinking of you and sending prayers and hugs!

Cheri
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Michele - I was tested yesterday, all staff was asked to voluntarily test. We will be doing so weekly now until we're out of this mess.

I'll catch up later tonight.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: Β»
    Allie -
    :smiley:

Oh and no, the beta blocker STILL hasn't gotten here that's supposed to regulate my afib. Apparently the doc did not remember to put in his notes that it should have been overnighted last Friday... so it wasn't. Yesterday afternoon, the nurse had the pharmacy overnight me a small amount and the original prescription should get here Friday. Grrf. On the other hand, the Lasix has peeled 16 pounds of water weight off in one week, which is about as fast as I was putting it on. They're testing my kidney function on Friday to make sure there's no damage from all the up-down.

Happy Wednesday, my chickadees,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

Hope they get your meds to you soon-
    Thank you for your closing comment- I haven't heard that is many years. My very sweet great aunt used to call us her little chickadees. Miss her.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • clowe1028
    clowe1028 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations.

Margaret, you echoed what I heard after the colonoscopy yesterday from both the nurse and the doctor, eat plenty of fiber. There is a new book by Naomi Whittel that I am going to check out β€˜High Fiber Keto’.

Lanette, I like the red wine suggestion the best! I have tried kombucha and am not a fan. My mom makes her own, so I may try it again when I visit at TG. Have you ever checked out Ben Greenfield? He has podcasts with interviews of various experts. He is a bio hacker and author.

A little research following up on Tim Spector, I came across recommendations of almonds, olive oil, and brussells sprouts which would be compatible with keto. Yogurt with sliced almonds and a few blueberries will be my first meal today.

Fae, thanks for the compliment, but I always wear t-shirts, never a sports bra by itself with the leggings, too much loose skin from a 60 lb weight loss.

I dropped 1.4 lbs with the prep and so far only regained 0.1 lbs back today. Still have a few lbs to drop from birthday splurges off plan.

Cathy in Arlington, TX

• Faetta
    Options
    Hi everyone! Just hopping on to say hi and I hope you are all doing well.

I was furloughed from my job, and my position was then eventually eliminated due to COVID-19 shutdowns, so I've decided to take early retirement. Hoping that will allow me to hop on here on a regular basis once i figure out my new routine. It's quite a change and I hadn't realized how much of a loop it would throw me into.

Stay healthy and be well, ladies! :heart:

Tracie in the frozen tundra of Green Bay, WI

πŸπŸ‚πŸπŸ‚πŸπŸ‚πŸπŸ‚πŸπŸ‚πŸπŸ‚πŸπŸ‚πŸπŸ‚πŸπŸ‚πŸπŸ‚πŸπŸ‚πŸπŸ‚πŸπŸ‚πŸπŸ‚πŸπŸ‚πŸπŸ‚πŸπŸ‚πŸπŸ‚

Glad you could retire! I am guessing you know where Oconto is. I was there 50 years ago to meet some very distant family and I rented a cabin on the lake and distant cousins taught me how to eat Brats and drink beer from the keg while slapping big mosquitos. It seemed every neighborhood had a bar in a home open to the public and BBQ's were going every night.

Fae
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Faetta wrote: Β»
    For the Goat Lovers

My goats 1973 on a mountainside on a ranch where I lived in Montana and worked as a wilderness survival guide. They kept the horses calm and the horses protected them from predators and they gave me a source for healthy cheese and butter. Basque-style Shepards cast iron dutch oven sourdough bread saturated with goat butter, elk jerky, dried morel mushrooms, and camas root and dandelion greens salad topped with goat cheese while sipping a rose hip camomile tea while the flames of the campfire merrily dance, now that is real living.

vejxgb9hoc6w.jpg

We had goats when I was growing up. Togs and Neubians(loved the Togs, didn't like the Neubians- temperment wise and milk taste wise, the Togs were so much better)- One year we ended up with 9 newborn baby goats in a playpen in our living room. Our best momma died giving birth to triplets, her sister and the two others had mastitis so the babies had to be bottle fed. In the house by the fire place was the warmest place for them. SO much fun. Too many predators around up there now that they wouldn't be safe.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    (((Allie))): I am happy that you're getting good care, and that the surgeon is on your health insurance providers list. :flowerforyou:
  • Faetta
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Rita Well said! We have no idea how bad things are going to get and how bad some have it now. We as older women must stay strong to encourage the younger to not give up.

Chickadees That is an old family saying in my family. My great-grandma used to call all us girls chickadees, but sometimes would say, "Except for Faetta, she is a hummingbird." I was so hyper and couldn't standstill.