WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• mrsbfe
    mrsbfe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the husband compliments. I actually met him on eHarmony when I was 50 in 2008. I escaped from my abusive marriage in 1997, and it took me that long to start dating again. Then of course I was scared to death and did everything I could to make Greg leave, but nope he was in it for the long haul. I am very grateful for his unconditional love and kindness.

Fae - love the goat picture and the wonderful memory.

Barbie - “ …Sasha needs a haircut a lot more than Jake does and both dogs need a bath.” :D I think I should be sorry for laughing at this...the importance of commas ;) (I haven't been here long, so I want to make sure that isn't offensive to you, if so then I will apologize.)

Michele - That’s wonderful of you to adopt a cat that needed so much care. My daughter has a long hair tuxedo also.

Annie - Happy Birthday!

RvRita - I’m sorry to hear you’re struggling. I have holiday depression (in addition to “regular” depression). I agree, COVID doesn’t help any.

stephtra - Congrats!

Sheri in OH
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Faetta: Your greatgrandmother seems to have been a very astute woman. :wink:
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Debbie I never cared for Nubians either. I couldn't stand their bleet. It was such a demanding painful cry. I had Togs and Registered French Alpines and a few mixed Tog Alpines. The mixed seemed to be tougher and capable of maintaining 1 1/2 gallons a day without mastitis and other problems. They were great forging mountain goats. I showed a few of my FA's and won a few blue ribbons at the State level, but it was all too much work and good help was hard to find when I had to be gone for weeks on jobs. I sold them all off in the early '80s. I grew up with FA goats until I was 16 and rebelled against being tied down daily, so my folks sold them off and I got rid of my chickens. My dad loved feeding and caring for the cattle, so I had time after school to get a job away from the ranch. 25 years of my life I was around goats. One summer when I stayed with an uncle and aunt east of the Texas Hill Country on their 10,000-acre ranch, I enjoyed my aunt's Angoras and Rambulliot sheep. She was a hand spinner and got me into that for a few years. She also had a Komondor that I loved watching run down coyotes. My Uncle did the horses and cattle and I loved riding the range with him and his two Australian Shepards. It was different than in the mountains, but I was glad to get back to the Rockies.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    My holiday depression is getting worse due to CoVid shutdowns here, missing family-all too busy to call or reply to my calls, young rangers having visiting family from other highly infected states, financial credit card meds we are in, wondering how much of all this was precipitated by me or my DH.... on it goes.

Allergies not helping. Only good thing is lots of sun and nice weather, and we are heathy.

I must remember that no matter how bad we have it, there are others a lot worse off!

Allie so glad you are being cared for! My best friend had a quadruple bypass at 62 and is so much stronger now than before. Your heart surgery will make you feel so much better when complete. Praying for you and sending confidence your way!

RvRita [spiiler]

Recent projects: keto cream puffs and Christmas masks.

4alp8duufi60.jpeg
    rztaeacevzn6.jpeg
    t0dnqsai4r8b.jpeg [/spoiler]

love the Christmas fabric masks- I am working on Thanksgiving plaid ones now and will start Christmas ones next(working on slippers now too)

Debbie
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Scored a hit today with Internet research for my hip problem. Gluteal Tendinopathy. Found some great sites on YouTube, (sports therapists), and that is definitely it. My mistake has been recently to run with a hip wiggling movement in order to keep my back mobile. It turns out that wasn't a good thing. Lots of suggestions for gentle exercises to do. I feel better already! Will also use pillows at night between my legs.I have wide hips and a knock knee on that side (knee always a problem) so already primed for an injury.
    I like knowing what it is and can see a way forward. :D

Had a good Zoom with the girls. The two who live alone want to resume it every week, so that's fine. <3
    I told them about my new self watering plant pot for my basil on the windowsill. I broke the old one's system when I first assembled it three years ago and then managed to throw the wick away recently by mistake. I ordered another one without telling DH and assembled today it while he was out. I managed not to break it this time! I'm now waiting to see how long it will be before DH notices that the pot is now grey, not white!!! >:)

Barbara - Going for my liver blood tests tomorrow. I've been AF all week! :o

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Options
    We’re having a rainy day here in Quarantine land. If it saves one life it will be worth it for us all. Stores are open and masks are required. I plan to ride my terratryke in the garage to burn calories & maintain fitness.

Katla in Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    %
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    I did my two minutes on my mini stepper again. I noticed that my knees go forward of my toes. Maybe if I can correct that, the whole exercise will work better and I can get past two minutes. But even if I don't, it's enough to get me a little breathless.

Thanks for the birthday wishes! 😊
    Annie in Delaware
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    no time to write much, but Allie - (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))) so glad you went in and are getting such good care! sending good thoughts !

Kim in N. California
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Cathy Yes, a high fiber diet is recommended to help in polyp prevention. There are other general recommendations, but I think they are applicable on an individual basis. I find it hard especially with so much virus, bacteria, and fungus, to get fresh organic vegetables without fear of contamination from handlers that don't wear gloves. I started drinking low sodium (200 mg per can) V8 juice with my lunch meal, and it seems to be a good regulator and replaces 1 cup of vegetables. It has 3 grams of fiber per 11.5 oz can and only 60 calories which is good news for the calorie counters. My high protein all veggie shake also boasts 3 grams of fiber a day. Avoiding red meats is also recommended, but dietary fiber is the main concern. In general women over 50 need 21 grams of fiber a day. Not as easy to get as it sounds, even back when I ate a lot of raw red cabbage. Beans of all kinds are a great source. Broccoli is a real good one. Whole-grain and seed bread can provide a lot of fiber, but can also be a problem if chips, chunks, and seeds aren't softened before entering the colon. I am always looking for easy ways to add fiber to my diet.

I have a problem growing polyps. The cancerous one that cost me 1/4 of my colon was one that had been missed over the years and 4 colonoscopies. This past Sept. they found and took out only two, both no cancer so I am finally back on every 3 years colonoscopies. With that upper hard to scope area gone, I am more confident that they finally have found them all and they are all removed. I have had over 30 removed since age 50. Genetics testing showed no gene mutation for colon cancer. I switched from a general surgeon to a gastrointestinal doctor that does colonoscopies and endoscopy exclusively and has his own clinic. It is a lot easier than all the hospital rig a ma roll.

If I had not insisted on more frequent colonoscopies than the 10 years (total insurance paid) recommended ones, I would be either dead or wish I was.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Allie, Big hugs friend!!! You sound like you are in good hands but being your own advocate in a hospital takes a lot of strength! Ask a lot of questions, and ask for a pad of paper so you can write any questions you think about. You got this!! <3
    Rebecca
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Isn’t there someone on here who has one of those mini-steppers under their desk??? Or am I wrong (not like that would be the first time). If so, which one do you have and how do you like it. Do you use it a lot?

Annie DE
    – happy birthday! How sweet of Steven

Fae – thanks for giving me a good reason to drink wine. Actually, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Golden Scuppernog by Woodmill Winery. I only have a drink maybe 3 times a year. But if you put a bottle of that in front of me, I would finish the whole thing! Now they do also make a red scuppernong. Not as sweet, but maybe I’ll get some of that for Christmas. Glad you insisted on those colonoscopies

Tracey
    – that’s good that you were tested. When will you get the results?

Tracie WI
    – long time no see. You’ll love retirement! You’ll have more time to come here for one thing

Newcomers was going to have a holiday open house early in Dec. at the airport. I did send a note to some of the board that I thought that was very insensitive of them. Having it at an airport? Will only serve to remind people that they can’t/shouldn’t fly and be with family for the holiday. Well, I just got an email saying that they cancelled it. Really, if it weren’t for the president (to support her), I wouldn’t go. Now I have a good reason not to go. Thank goodness.

Got my car inspected. It did pass, only I will be needing new tires. Vince said “maybe we should get them before we go to FL” I’m still wondering if we’re going to go. Don’t know what they’re going to do about Daytona. I wouldn’t think they can have the crowd they usually have. So how do you decide who can go and who can’t?

Stephtra – a LOVE button would be fantastic! Can we use that disagree button for love? I don’t know if MFP monitors how many disagrees a post gets

Debbie CA
    – you are a wonderful person to take those cats in.

Went and got some more dishtowels, they finally had some Christmas ones in. I think I’ll need to get a few more. I’ll probably do some of the prep work at home and then the crochet in the car on the way to Jess’. Also went and got a sweater for Lynette which with my coupon I got for free. Then got my car inspected.

Michele NC
  • Katla49
    Options
    <3
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    cooked 2 slices of thick bacon in the oven, and put over two slices of hearty grain toasted bread, 2 eggs over easy, and some hollandaise sauce over it all. It was messy heaven...Closed my eating window at 12:40 happy and grateful.
    Tonight I am making messy burgers for the guys. I am sipping my Pellegrino water as I cook, and I don't need to taste anything.
    Hugs ladies.
    Rebecca
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Gave myself a bird bath.. and feel a bit cleaner but would love a shower..everything hinges on covid results.so we wait.. today has been a mostly restful day i guess the calm before the storm so to speak..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Regarding travel ...

We can travel around most parts of Australia now because most areas have C19 under control, but we remain in Tasmania. We have not left Tasmania since February 2018 and I have no desire to do so now.

I'm looking forward to a nice quiet Christmas. :)

I'm surprised that some here from the US are planning family get togethers that involve travel. I would have thought the US would have shut down travel given your country's situation. But each country is dealing with it differently.

Sports ...

With my new free time (finished uni) ... and a desire to increase fitness ... and summer ...

I am looking into a variety of enjoyable sports activities to add to my usual walking & cycling. Walking and cycling will remain the main ones, but it is fun to get outside and do different things.

Wikipedia has quite an extensive list, not all of which appeal to me, but some do ...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports

Archery - this is one I've looked into before but didn't have the time. I might consider it again.

Canoeing - we've got a canoe and have talked about getting it back into the water again.

Hiking - I'd love to do more of this!

Running - I've got to build up to this. This is a good lunchtime activity.

For winter we might consider dance and pool swimming. I'd like to try rock climbing, but I don't think my shoulders would like it, especially my left shoulder.

What sports/exercise activities do you do, especially in summer when you can be outdoors?

mj2bd0lwsr68.png

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Walk to Costco, kohl’s and food store w-family- 2hrs 41min 15sec, 77ahr, 102mhr, 8.30mi= 939c
    Strava app = 1006c

Total cal 939
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Michelle -- I had an under the desk pedal device. I did use it, but I ended up giving it to my mother because she couldn't walk much anymore -- I mean she walks around inside the house, but she wasn't going for walks. She admits that she doesn't use it as much as she should. I don't remember what brand it was.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR