WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    (((Allie:))) I am sorry things are not easy but absolutely delighted that you are still here with us. I hope the results of the medical work are spectacular and you are able to go out and have fun again in the near future. :flowerforyou:

SuziQ: Staying in the present is a good strategy. :star:

I went shopping for vitamins and spent too much on them. I will likely buy somewhere else next time. :grumble: I bought a concrete patio paver to place in a small garden area next to our driveway. Our original Alberta Spruce tree is in a permanent pot & will be placed there for the holidays. It lives in its pot all year long. We will decorate it with Christmas lights that are on a daylight/dark timer. When it is getting dark the lights come on, when it is getting light they go back off.

The inside tree is also an Alberta Spruce that we bought several years after the original tree. We’ll transition it into the house starting the second week in December unless I get impatient and can't control myself. It will spend a week or so in the garage before we move it into the house. After Christmas it will have to be gradually transitioned to outside temperatures. I like to do my 'undecorating' while watching the Rose Parade in Pasadena, California. I hope we can take the tree outside the day after the parade. We’ll see how things go.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,531 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Pip, Jake's ex mother in law is Mexican and she made tamales at Christmas for her grandchildren (Jake's kids). They would bring them along when the came to stay with us at Christmas. They were delicious. When the kids aged out of coming to our house for Christmas, the thing I missed most was Grandma Medina's tamales.

Sis and some others are doing the prep (cooking part) today and then the rest tomorrow when I’m there. That’s one thing I don’t miss is doing that. Not just because they wer my mother’s tamales but I have yet to taste any that come remotely close to her tamales and her mole. Mole is pronounced mole-Leigh . Being a Mexican u become very critical of Mexican footed, restaurants etc, it can be a curse.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    o:)>:)
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

Lanette – I have never been a big turkey fan so when my friends and I decided to cancel our tiny celebration I decided Cornish hens would work for me. I love, love, homemade dumplings!

Allie – Yes, you need to get yourself back in gear for yourself. 😊 Rest well and wishing you continue towards a quick recovery.

Rori – I agree with you regarding the holiday and the history thereafter. I do celebrate it because it is the holiday of gratefulness and am mindful of the suffering we, as humans, cause one another. Sending positive thoughts to you.

Annie – Sorry to hear about your parents – I almost sounds like you are going to have to childproof (adult proof – ha) all of the doors with alarms. Big hug to you.

Pip – Oh, homemade tamales! I am sure you and Kirby will be fine as long as you are playing it safe.

Debbie – Oh, cranberry and guava sauce!! I love, love, love guava. Is it a family recipe or is it posted somewhere online? Please share. Sending positive thoughts your FFIL is just under the weather.

Tracey – Oh, your post made me chuckle. I think “The Munsters” would be my choice. Everyone in the family is weird but honest. 😊

Evie – We both picked the same family! I agree there would never be a dull moment.

Kate – Love your display. I agree with your assessment of how things are being handled (everywhere). I think the length of time is getting to many of us.

Rita – This is a long post so spoiling it…..
    A dear friend who is a general attorney referred me to her friend who is a bankruptcy attorney. After filling out what I thought was a book on my financial life we had a conference call to discuss my options. After his review he determined I would only qualify for a 100% bankruptcy which basically means paying 100% back along with attorney fees and paying the bankruptcy court so in essence I would owe more claiming bankruptcy.

The attorney then said, you sound like you’re intelligent, just get on the phone with your creditors and negotiate with them. He provided some pointers like saying I do not have enough to pay, I am thinking about bankruptcy, asking what can you do for me, telling them what I could afford, etc. He reviewed the laws with me (each State is different). In FL credit card companies and collection agencies can sue if dept is $10k+. In FL one can simply ignore everything under $10k for unsecured debt and after 7 years it will drop off. But, as soon as you communicate with them the clock starts ticking again.

Personally, I felt I made the debt so I should pay it. Note here, this is a personal decision, and each person has different thoughts and feelings. I will say it took a lot of stamina, I had to brave myself for each call, it was tiring and stressful, but in the long run all of it was worth it to me.
    The first step (that book the attorney made me write was worth it) is to log every single creditor, the balance, last payment made, etc., list out every cost of living (rent, medical insurance, car payment, food, utilities) then list out all income prior to making any calls.

If I was able to I would have claimed bankruptcy. It would have been easier and cheaper if I was somewhat insolvent.

So long and longer…..get organized, speak with a good bankruptcy attorney, find out your options, and then go for it. Most decent attorneys will provide a free consultation and it is worth it to call a few.

It took me almost 10 years to get in the horrible shape I was in and I am more than halfway through in two years. If all goes according to plan (ha) I have another year to go and then I am done. If things do not go according to plan it will only be two more years. Considering most bankruptcies (if not 100% cleared) take five years I am still ahead of the curve.

Barbara – I so enjoy the baking and creating of sweet treats to share this time of year too. I am fortunate there are a few neighbors who trust I am masked and gloved while baking so I have been able to keep a little and give away the rest. A couple of secrets the postal person told me a while back…..either use the flat rate boxes because it does not matter how much a package weights (still can be pricey) or request the package be sent using book rates. Book rate packages can take a long time to get where they are going but are less than half the price of the normal rates.

Time for me to fly. It’s a rainy day here so I think I will spend some time cleaning the house and putting away the Thanksgiving decorations. “May” pull out Christmas too. 😊
    Hugs to all,
    SuziQ – SFL

No secret family recipe for the cranberry guava sauce- I wanted to make cranberry sauce using fresh berries in the pressure cooker. I have a bucket of fresh guava that I picked up from my parents house so thought they might go good together. So, looked up a recipe for cranberry sauce for the timing. One bag of cranberries, one kids juice box of apple juice(calls for oj but I had apple juice) 1 cup of sugar(I used 3/4 and it is a bit tart but ok) a little orange rind and 5 guava sliced up. Set the pressure cooker to 2 min then let it natural release. Use immersion blender to puree it. That is it. .

Thank you for the thought for former father in law. He is such a sweet man and living on his own now that his wife is in an assisted living home. Two of the three sons live near him but he does get lonely. Wish they were closer(they are in Indiana)

I use the priority boxes when shipping all the fudge and treats because, like you said, it is EXPENSIVE! I do spend more on shipping than the ingredients for the stuff but I plan ahead on what shipping will cost. I know how to pack it and I get my money's worth for sure in them.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    (((Allie:))) I am sorry things are not easy but absolutely delighted that you are still here with us. I hope the results of the medical work are spectacular and you are able to go out and have fun again in the near future. :flowerforyou:

SuziQ: Staying in the present is a good strategy. :star:

I went shopping for vitamins and spent too much on them. I will likely buy somewhere else next time. :grumble: I bought a concrete patio paver to place in a small garden area next to our driveway. Our original Alberta Spruce tree is in a permanent pot & will be placed there for the holidays. It lives in its pot all year long. We will decorate it with Christmas lights that are on a daylight/dark timer. When it is getting dark the lights come on, when it is getting light they go back off.

The inside tree is also an Alberta Spruce that we bought several years after the original tree. We’ll transition it into the house starting the second week in December unless I get impatient and can't control myself. It will spend a week or so in the garage before we move it into the house. After Christmas it will have to be gradually transitioned to outside temperatures. I like to do my 'undecorating' while watching the Rose Parade in Pasadena, California. I hope we can take the tree outside the day after the parade. We’ll see how things go.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

I just ordered vitamins/suppliments from Swanson's online- Have never ordered from them before(but husband has) and they had great prices for what we were looking for. I went with them originally because they finally got my Hyland's biochemic phosphates(sleep/stress help) in stock (I checked over 10 sites a month ago and no one had it- found this place had the best price and got it back in stock first). Ordered all kinds of different ones. My last order was through Puritans Pride- we are all set for all kinds of vitamins/suppliments now- just need to remember to TAKE THEM ;)

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear those of you having menstrual issues. I was always very fortunate in that area, just occasional cramps. When I had a radioactive iodine treatment in 2001 it kicked me through menopause at age 47-haven’t had a period since.

Michele-I think we all just decide what works for us during this pandemic.

Rori-I like your thoughts on Thanksgiving. While we have always celebrated it on the day, it is about family getting together and we can (except for pandemic times) do that any time. Most everyone having off work that day is helpful.

Machka-I have been giving a lot of thought to which part of normal I want to rush back to.

Tracey-which family? I actually lean towards something like the Adams Family and the Munsters (I wonder why they mixed them?) -they are diverse, don’t let too many norms bother them, and live true to themselves. But actually, I’m pretty content quarantining by myself. Good news on negative test!

Kate UK-I’m not putting my large tree up this year either. I have brought up some of my favorite decorations and ordered a couple of small new ones.

SuziQ-good job on the debt reduction. My husband had to declare bankruptcy after his divorce. That made us very careful with our money because he didn't want to go through that again. There are many reasons people find themselves in financial difficulties.

Allie-sorry you are having issues, but it is good they kept you where you are. I also have small veins that like to roll-no fun.

Tina-good luck at ER.

Had pleasant Thanksgiving. Facetime with both kids was nice. My youngest, who has helped cook Thanksgiving since he was around 4, called me yesterday at 7 am (of course my first thought was something was wrong). No, he just called because he was starting his cooking and went over menu with me. That was nice. I cooked my turkey breast more for later in the day than normal and had baked sweet potato and green bean casserole. Simple but nice. Will make turkey soup tomorrow. Think I will hold off putting noodles in what I am going to freeze and just add them as I use it.

Youngest son and gf stopped over and we had a visit in the garage for over an hour before they went to see some friends. He brought me some leftover from his dinner. Very pleasant.

May go for walk with a friend tomorrow. She and her husband have been fairly isolated for the last 6 weeks or so since he had a hip replacement. We are fairly cautious about our contacts so I feel comfortable with that. Will still wear a mask.

Heading off to bed-watch a bit of Ancient Aliens.

Stay safe all.Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Why our restaurants are still open ...
    We reached 100 days without Covid on Nov 19 ... so I guess we're 110 days now. That said, our borders have now opened to the rest of Australia and there are a few cases on the mainland so I'm guessing that there is a reasonable chance we'll have another case turn up in about mid-December.

Meanwhile, we're still taking precautions: washing hands, cleaning, keeping our distance from others, avoiding crowds, etc.

In the restaurants, the tables are spaced apart a bit more than they were which is really nice. I don't like eating squashed up against other people at the best of times!

When we get together with my husband's sister and our son & daughter-in-law, there's a good chance we'll be outside for a lot of the visit because it's summer, we've got decks and patios and it's nice to be outside.

https://coronavirus.tas.gov.au/facts/tasmanian-statistics
    xaov8ou2f83c.png

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,531 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Short walk w/family- 1hr 9miin, 36sec, 77ahr, 101mhr, 3.27mi= 323c
    Strava app = 397c
    Other- dust and vacuum, 1hr 17min 34sec, 76ahr, 94mhr= 351c

Total cal 674
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :) I walked for an hour after dark and enjoyed the holiday lights. Lots of people waited until after Thanksgiving to light their lights. I saw no people and only one car and listened to something uplifting on my phone with blue tooth headphones.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Happy Belated Thanksgiving Day....

RV Rita - so sorry about your depression. I totally understand how you feel. Better days are coming

Jess and Colby STILL aren't sure what they're doing regarding Idaho. Truthfully, I sort of hope they decide not to go. I'll explain more when I get home

Allie - (((hug)))

Jess wanted to go out for dinner but we talked her into having leftovers

Charsuzy- I love my rebounder but I don't have the stability bar on mine. I do have it on my bosu, tho

Tina - feel better

Michele nc
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all,

Allie
    I'm sorry that the a-fib showed up, but so thankful you were in the right place, with the right folks to make sure you're OK. Thank you so much for keeping us posted on you--have thought of you often during this long holiday week/weekend. I hate it so much when I don't feel clean--my sympathies, my dear - perhaps they can help you clean up a bit, even if they won't let you shower yet?

Tina
    Hope things went well at the ER.

Pip
    One of the few things I truly miss from West Texas is real tamales. The frozen or canned stuff they call "tamales" here in Arkansas bears no resemblance to the real thing.

Rori
    It's so good to see you posting. I think of you often.

Rita Your kids need to quit with guilting you into not visiting them, good grief. They're single, younger, and working, and have an awful lot more disposable income than you do, most likely.
    Financial stuff:
    When Corey and I married in 2009, he was over $100,000 in debt (mostly due to his now-ex-wife's spending habits). Most of his credit card debt had already been sold off to the debt buyers--and I knew they only paid four cents on the dollar for the debts. I negotiated paying back 50 percent of most of the original debt amounts, and we got it all paid off in a bit less than three years. Interesting point, any part of a credit card debt that is forgiven is counted as income by the IRS - it threw us into a much higher tax bracket, which was an unexpected problem. Didn't wreck anything, just really ticked me off that they were penalizing us while we were trying to actually do the right thing and pay our bills. Grf.

SuzyQ - You're a better man than I, reading 70+ pages of the thread in just a couple of sittings, and commenting as well. Thank you for your messaging. I find the support here to be just amazing.

Charsuzy
    The best way to get yourself to exercise is to eliminate the barriers to doing it. Looks like you're doing a great job of that!

TV Family:
    Regarding the question of which TV family I'd like to live with, it would hands down be Family Ties, but then, I had a massive crush on Michael J. Fox. Kinda still do, and just hate it that he has Parkinson's.

Christmas plans:

None, zero, zip, zilch, nada. I'll talk to my friends on Christmas Eve, most likely, and the kids will call us Christmas Day. We don't decorate, and I gave up sending cards years ago. One or two of his brothers and sisters will call, or he'll call them. The one sister I speak to doesn't celebrate Christmas (long story), so sometimes I'll call her just to annoy her.
    :smiley:

On the health front
    They've doubled up my afib medications, both the diuretic and the beta blocker, as the lowest dose wasn't making much of a difference. Will send updates in to my doc on Monday. While my pulse rate is getting better, the blood pressure wanders around from almost normal to too high. We bought a wrist cuff to take Corey's years blood pressure a couple years back, as his was kind of iffy. Now his is perfect and mine is iffy. Oh well.

And finally, on Tuesday, I'll start on what is hopefully the last 10-day round of antibiotics for the microbial infection in my gut. Fingers crossed!

Later y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: take BP
    Bonus: typed hymns, 45 mins vacuuming, one load laundry, stroll with B & T, chatted with CD, listened to S
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, email info to grantwriter, watch STAS Day 18 (go sniff), submit grant pics and receipts, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, make cookie batter for when Aunt Elsie’s stove is working, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Sleeping with the Devil, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments
    New Ways November
    27: Enjoy new music: that was yesterday, took me 5 tries to find a “Music Choice” channel on TV that I liked.

Sad day. Learned cousin passed yesterday morning, not unexpected, a blessing really, he’d been on hospice and was in a lot of pain. But thanks to C-19 this is the first time I haven’t gone to St. Louis to be with family after a death in over 30 years.

Then had farewell stroll with B who’s moving away Tuesday. Had a little cry in the car on the way home.

Then got call from recently, suddenly, unexpectedly widowed dear friend who has to put her 10 year old dog to sleep tomorrow.

2020 has been the worst year for me since 2005, are we done with it yet?

Machka your graduation celebration sounds lovely, as does your summer work schedule. Brava!
    SuziQ thank you for sharing “. . .took a lot of stamina, I had to brave myself for each call, it was tiring and stressful, but in the long run all of it was worth it” Such sound advice for any/all facing crushing debt. The interest rates credit cards charge are usurious imho. Well done!
    Heather :love: your “…took pity on him…” solution. What a win-win! Postage stamps are rationed in the UK? :noway:
    Barbie “…sometimes I feel like my house is already too crowded” like when Shadow and Tumble get the zoomies indoors :laugh:
    Pip :sad: your sisters’ tamales and mole don’t taste like your Mom’s.
    Fae “… Fae withdraws” :laugh: no “attempt” about it, that is one classy lady look!
    Michele SMH at Pete’s choice. Hope Maria has no ill effects.
    Rita did you let your kids know how their comments made you feel? Have to say I was pretty thoughtless to Mama even through my 30s.
    Katla your Rose Parade mention reminded me of years ago Doo-Dah parades with Synchronized Briefcase Drill Team. They were amazing!
    Annie vent away. It is a very hard time you’re going through with your Mom.
    Allie tiny veins that roll=Owwww! Glad they found the a-fib while you were where they can do something about it. ((hugs)) Sitting up is a huge step forward. Some hospitals have volunteers that will come and wash your hair, is that a possibility? Know how bad it feels to miss too many showers.
    SuziQ I too love dumplings the way Mama made them (in an old fashioned blow-up-your-house kind of pressure cooker with chicken and vegs). Haven’t been able to make them like that, even using the same recipe, as there is no pressure cooker here.
    Would it be worth buying an Instant Pot for that one thing? Maybe not. Don’t need the carbs anyway.
    Beth really hoping your son’s re-test is negative. There is more than enough to cope with at your house, hope the virus stays away!
    Rebecca excellent comments for Rita. Wish I could send your overseas son a nudge from pip’s boot.
    Charsuzy what an efficient workout area!
    Tina Sounds like the ER is where you need to be to get help. ((hugs)) Hope you get quick relief!
    Debbie yes, I can cram a lot of adult fudge into a priority box and yes the shipping costs more than the ingredients, so may scale back even further this year.
    Ginny in OH I made bone broth this year instead of soup. Really reduced it down. But dang your noodles sound good!

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    November: better than October.
    daily: sit with Joe: 24, weigh: 27, steps>5491=1242 yesterday, 7337 today vits=26 log=27 CI<CO=23 CI<250<CO=13 Tumble & Shadow 5=26 mfp=27 outside=23 up hill=22
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3 =0 rx=4 dance=2 clean 30 mins=20.25
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=17 play=0 sew=0
  • Machka9
    Options
    I couldnt sleep,so had them get me up in the chair,there is only so much moving i can do an inflatable bed that i keep slitting down.ive used some deodorant but my dry shampoo cant keep up and im feeling dirty..dont know when they will let me shower.
    Im still super sore,but at least im sitting up

They should be giving you daily sponge baths in ICU.
  • Machka9
    Options
    This is interesting.

5 new home design trends we’ll be seeing in 2021
    https://www.bhg.com.au/home-design-trends-2021

I'd also add a couple things:

- 2-piece toilets (sink & toilet) near the front door so that we can wash up as soon as we come through the door.

- home offices. Nice ones, not just the smallest third bedroom stuck in the back with barely a glimpse of outside.

Machka in Oz
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    Not many posts today. You must all be exhausted. :)<3

DH was busy watching football, so I went out for a walk on my own. Oh boy! Was it busy! The seafront and beach were heaving on a brilliantly sunny, sparkling, Saturday afternoon. Luckily I was innured to the throng by my wonderful Soul music podcasts of Allegri 's Miserere and Tallis's Spem in Alium. Available from the Sounds App (BBC) I was soooooo happy! As I turned for home I put on my download of Dixit Dominum, Handel. I want this one played at my wake.
    I really do adore church choral music. Strange, you might think, for an atheist! :D Anyway, I was transported.

DH spoke to DSIL this morning about the NO PRESENT rule this Christmas. He should be a professional negotiator! I always marvel when I hear him tackling difficult subjects with people. He really is a genius. <3 So she is perfectly happy. Hooray!

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    4aexd56l81iu.jpg