What’s unique/unusual about where you live?

Options

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,561 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    CacoEther wrote: »
    Oh and our kids go out to play at recess all the way down to - 26C and then they get indoor recess. Unless their parents sign a waiver and they dress appropriately, then they can go out until - 35C. School is cancelled if it's - 45C in the morning because the buses don't run very well and it's dangerous for the kids to wait for the bus.

It’s similar here. Outdoor recess down to 0F (-18C). If you don’t dress your kids appropriately, it’s on you.

Unfortunately we are notorious for our wind. We have very few trees and the land is flat as a pancake, so it is ALWAYS windy. It ruins the winter.

I remember once when I was in grade school that the forecast was projecting such dire windchills that they preemptively canceled school for the whole week. It got down to -80F/-62C (with the windchill) and stayed that way most of the week. You couldn’t even step outside, the cold/wind took the breath right out of you

I never knew this before but just looked it up.. the average temp in my state is below freezing. So even though we get up to the high 90s (mid 30s C) throughout July and August, it’s not enough to bring our avg temp above freezing 😆

Damn. That is cold. Bet you actually zipped up your jackets! That is, instead of just jamming your hands in your pockets and hugging it closed.

Or is that just something I do? Lol

• tmantwo
    tmantwo Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    ^ I’ll take both. Chasing tornadoes is fun and so is Klondike camping.
  • KickassAmazon76
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Just_Mel_ wrote: »
    I'd rather have tornadoes. Y'all can keep that -80F B.S.

We've been getting more of those in the summers lately, too! Best of both worlds!

I am thankful that we don't get hurricanes or earthquakes. Or poisonous snakes. Or gaters. Geeze, that snake post gave me nightmares.

We DO get garter snakes though... we're known for the Narcisse snake dens, where thousands of garter snakes come out in the spring and mate and infest the neighbouring towns. That's kind of freaky, but they don't bite. They move hella fast though. LOL
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iHEQb5IOKI&feature=youtu.be
  • tmantwo
    Options
    Well, if you agitate them enough they'll bite. But it's almost like getting poked by old school carding combs. It doesn't hurt, very little blood, and your just left with two rows of horseshoe shaped needle pricks.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Some everyday things in a German supermarket. I feel the urge to say "no homo" to the guy working at the counter
    every single time

qovcs78foj5r.jpg
    m1ovffddf81s.jpg

I dunno, man.

Where I live, a fella has to pay extra for that.

We don't even have that where I live. 😔
  • Danw586
    Danw586 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    In less than 3 hours drive, I can be at either of the following:
    NYC
    Boston
    Atlantic Ocean / beach
    Appalachian Mountains / skiing
  • happimess01
    happimess01 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    Some everyday things in a German supermarket. I feel the urge to say "no homo" to the guy working at the counter
    every single time

qovcs78foj5r.jpg
    m1ovffddf81s.jpg

I dunno, man.

Well, if you lived here, you could have it delivered to your home. No need to go looking for it in the supermarket
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    every single time

qovcs78foj5r.jpg
    m1ovffddf81s.jpg

I dunno, man.

Well, if you lived here, you could have it delivered to your home. No need to go looking for it in the supermarket

Maybe I can get some off amazon?
  • happimess01
    happimess01 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    every single time

qovcs78foj5r.jpg
    m1ovffddf81s.jpg

I dunno, man.

Maybe I can get some off amazon?

keep me posted🧐
  • stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Lake effect snow. I hate it so much. I don't like getting up at night to piss, let alone go outside and shovel the driveway while it's still manageable. Uh...
    wb2dnjcku3oz.jpg
  • jamloche
    jamloche Posts: 109 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    When I was a kid my parents would take us to visit SeaWorld™ on the shores of beautiful Geauga Lake. This is where I learned that even killer whales can be boring. I also learned the bitter disappointment of watching other people swim and water ski while I sweated through my clothes on painted concrete stadium seating. The worst part was that directly across the lake was a world-class amusement park, and all you could hear in the background were roller coasters and the ecstatic screams of all those lucky lucky people.

I hated SeaWorld™ with a burning passion. Ironically, they sold the Geauga Lake location to the amusement park decades ago, which nearly doubled its size. This is what that beautiful slice of heaven looks like now ...
    40hkcoql4w4p.jpg

That's right, they just abandoned that sucker ... and now it's a snarl of pricker-bushes full of deer ticks and poltergeists. Welcome to the Western Reserve
  • tmantwo
    Options
    So sorta similar to other parts of OH? Big Dipper?

Ya seen Rolling Acres Mall in the past decade or so?
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Oh and our kids go out to play at recess all the way down to - 26C and then they get indoor recess. Unless their parents sign a waiver and they dress appropriately, then they can go out until - 35C. School is cancelled if it's - 45C in the morning because the buses don't run very well and it's dangerous for the kids to wait for the bus.

This reminded me.. in our kindergarten and primary schools in Summer.. no hat=no play outside.
  • jamloche
    jamloche Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    tmantwo wrote: »
    So sorta similar to other parts of OH? Big Dipper?

Ya seen Rolling Acres Mall in the past decade or so?

It's true. Much of Ohio is like that depressed trailerpark that used to be nice and well-kept, but now it's just a place to buy weird looking meth and probably not a good idea to get out of the car.