GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts... 5@245lb. A 5rm PR.

I know there's a bit of rounding... But honestly, it didn't feel that hard. That feels good because thecalculated 1rm is 275...which is my all time best. I am almost ready to challenge it.

p5at0pkvfo65.gif

Omg wow!!! So impressed!!! I understand 100% I would want to attempt it also, but I feel like my coach wouldn’t let me yet 😂
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    Options

I know there's a bit of rounding... But honestly, it didn't feel that hard. That feels good because thecalculated 1rm is 275...which is my all time best. I am almost ready to challenge it.

p5at0pkvfo65.gif

STRONG lift! Love it! I don't really see any rounding at all, the only thing I see is your hips come up before you start to move the weight which is fine and would guess it's more due to your leverage points. Back and form look great. That Calculated 1 RM doesn't stand a chance. :smiley:
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options

p5at0pkvfo65.gif

Fantastic work. Also, great wall art.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Great lift!!!!

Thank you! 😊
    Omg wow!!! So impressed!!! I understand 100% I would want to attempt it also, but I feel like my coach wouldn’t let me yet 😂

Thank you! I kinda do want to try it, but I also really want to push for 300. 😂 I need to be patient! 😁
    dsc84 wrote: »
    STRONG lift! Love it! I don't really see any rounding at all, the only thing I see is your hips come up before you start to move the weight which is fine and would guess it's more due to your leverage points. Back and form look great. That Calculated 1 RM doesn't stand a chance. :smiley:

Thanks! The dynamics for tall deadlifters do definitely change the mechanics for the lift. I've been watching a number of videos on deadlifting for tall lifters... and trying to see what is the trick for the lifts in my case. The biggest thing I heard (repeatedly) was locking the upper body and really focusing on using the leg and hip drive. It seems to have made a difference and almost feels like it is changing a bit from a pull to a push activity.

I really hope I can break 300 by summer. 😁 (Central Canada Summer... Haha)
    stljam wrote: »
    Fantastic work. Also, great wall art.

Thank you! 😊 😁
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

p5at0pkvfo65.gif

That’s an awesome lift !
  • stljam
    Options
    Thanks! The dynamics for tall deadlifters do definitely change the mechanics for the lift. I've been watching a number of videos on deadlifting for tall lifters... and trying to see what is the trick for the lifts in my case. The biggest thing I heard (repeatedly) was locking the upper body and really focusing on using the leg and hip drive. It seems to have made a difference and almost feels like it is changing a bit from a pull to a push activity.

Do you mind sharing how tall you are and any specific resources you thought that were very good? My wife is 5ft9 and is interested in starting to deadlift.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options

I know there's a bit of rounding... But honestly, it didn't feel that hard. That feels good because the calculated 1rm is 275...which is my all time best. I am almost ready to challenge it.

p5at0pkvfo65.gif

I love watching your deadlifts. Fantastic Work!
    They look so different from how mine look, being 5'1 the bar almost to my knees. LOL
  • KickassAmazon76
    edited March 2021
    Options

Do you mind sharing how tall you are and any specific resources you thought that were very good? My wife is 5ft9 and is interested in starting to deadlift.

Sure, I'll look for some of the links. I am 6'1". 😁

This guy cracked me up... https://youtu.be/ayj4-TX0Qbw
  • stljam
    Options

Thank you very much. I must admit your height made me smile, remembering two women I dated in college who were 6'1".

Hmm. I wonder how much weight the 17" long safeties would support on our body-solid bench. In essence, they could artificially lift the starting point of the deadlift (and the lowering point of each rep like a box on box squat). Of course, it would have weight limits and using this method to true failure/pr could be an issue for certain things.

• KickassAmazon76
    Options

Thank you very much. I must admit your height made me smile, remembering two women I dated in college who were 6'1".

Hmm. I wonder how much weight the 17" long safeties would support on our body-solid bench. In essence, they could artificially lift the starting point of the deadlift (and the lowering point of each rep like a box on box squat). Of course, it would have weight limits and using this method to true failure/pr could be an issue for certain things.

Not to mention that if she got used to the modified height, and then decided to compete, she'd be at a disadvantage because deadlifting at standard bar height is really like deficit lifting for tall people. (you know how average people add on deficit deads as an accessory... Well for tall people it's like we're already DOING deficit lifts.)

It's not a bad idea as part of the lifting program.. Just maybe be sure to incorporate floor lifts too.

Another side note...if you look at my vid... You may note that the largest plates aren't quite round... I actually cut those out of 3/4" plywood (2 sheets glued, screwed and taped together), to measure an oly plate height, because all I had was 25s for weight and that was REALLY low to the ground.

You could always do that and make some bumper plates that raise the bar height up a few inches above standard... For learning. Mine worked out to weighing 5lb each and I've had no issues with them handling my weight thus far.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options

I know there's a bit of rounding... But honestly, it didn't feel that hard. That feels good because the calculated 1rm is 275...which is my all time best. I am almost ready to challenge it.

p5at0pkvfo65.gif

They look so different from how mine look, being 5'1 the bar almost to my knees. LOL

In the video I linked, the guy said something that really clicked... And that is that it's really deficit deadlifting for tall people... So if you stood on a raised platform to lift, keeping the bar on the floor, then you'd know how much it changes the feeling and stance.

It was a bit of a revelation for me, as I've had shorter people recommend I try deficits... And I really don't know if that's the best thing for me to try... Instead, I may want to try raising the bar and trying "conventional" deadlifts (proportion wise)
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    That’s an awesome lift !

Thanks Chris!
  • stljam
    Options
    Not to mention that if she got used to the modified height, and then decided to compete, she'd be at a disadvantage because deadlifting at standard bar height is really like deficit lifting for tall people. (you know how average people add on deficit deads as an accessory... Well for tall people it's like we're already DOING deficit lifts.)

It's not a bad idea as part of the lifting program.. Just maybe be sure to incorporate floor lifts too.

Another side note...if you look at my vid... You may note that the largest plates aren't quite round... I actually cut those out of 3/4" plywood (2 sheets glued, screwed and taped together), to measure an oly plate height, because all I had was 25s for weight and that was REALLY low to the ground.

You could always do that and make some bumper plates that raise the bar height up a few inches above standard... For learning. Mine worked out to weighing 5lb each and I've had no issues with them handling my weight thus far.

Thanks yet again. She was a multi-sport varsity athlete and collegiate athlete so she is definitely competitive though I think that is now more with herself.

I was thinking more to ensure proper form, mitigate potential form issues causing back stress, etc.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    Options

p5at0pkvfo65.gif

In the video I linked, the guy said something that really clicked... And that is that it's really deficit deadlifting for tall people... So if you stood on a raised platform to lift, keeping the bar on the floor, then you'd know how much it changes the feeling and stance.

It was a bit of a revelation for me, as I've had shorter people recommend I try deficits... And I really don't know if that's the best thing for me to try... Instead, I may want to try raising the bar and trying "conventional" deadlifts (proportion wise)

You could try rack pulls.

Yeah I've done deficits and can't get over the feel that I may fall forward. Short peep problems.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I tried deficit deadlifts last year when I was struggling to progress. I like them, but I am not tall. I actually felt my glutes fire Monday and realized that I'm not getting sore in my lower back, which used to always happen after deadlifts. So...I'm thinking the hip thrusts are working and I should leave them in my routine. I also did glute work with bands when not lifting heavy, perhaps that helped as well. I might try deficits again when progress stalls.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options

p5at0pkvfo65.gif

Yeah I've done deficits and can't get over the feel that I may fall forward. Short peep problems.

That feeling of falling forward is what I feel if I try to get my shins vertical before the lift. I think that's why you see my butt rise before the bar does. Maybe. I'd like to see if I can feel that position (where the bar starts to rise) so I can start there. That's when having a training partner would be good... Real time feedback is invaluable!
  • stljam
    Options
    I have lower back issues so I have been researching ways for me to get more comfortable for me to begin. The resistance band idea here - https://www.hustlerfitness.com/blogs/training/how-to-deadlift-with-lower-back-problems seems interesting and something I plan to research more. I've had one surgery (life saver) and likely having another here in the near term (nothing major-no screws/plates) so I have time to research but I want to start incorporating some version of this in the mid summer.

Did any of you ever consider something like what they outline?
  • GymGoddessGoals
    Options

p5at0pkvfo65.gif

That feeling of falling forward is what I feel if I try to get my shins vertical before the lift. I think that's why you see my butt rise before the bar does. Maybe. I'd like to see if I can feel that position (where the bar starts to rise) so I can start there. That's when having a training partner would be good... Real time feedback is invaluable!

I generally try to feel the weight and roll my shoulders back, lower my butt and focus my view forward. Usually I'm good as soon as the shoulders roll back.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

p5at0pkvfo65.gif

I generally try to feel the weight and roll my shoulders back, lower my butt and focus my view forward. Usually I'm good as soon as the shoulders roll back.

Agreed ✅