GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,366 Member
    Options
    Elcee2020 wrote: »
    On the whole children lifting topic, i am shocked we do not let young kids lifts, have you seen the squat of a toddler, many would be jealous of that form 😂😂😂

On a more serious note, i think age 10-13 should be a good age to start lifting for children (kinda depends on their build and growth)
    I do not have children myself, but in my gym there is a father/daughter coming (at least that is how it was last year) and his duaghter is only 11 years old
    He makes sure she works on her form first and only use a empty (light, 5kg) barbell right now, altough i remember seeing her doing a deadlift with 2x10kg plates (also on the lighter barbell)

😆 haha! Gus you are funny. Little kids arent as tall as you either. They would be looking up to you with jealousy wondering if they'll be that tall when they grow up.

lol! Well i may be tall, but over here i think i am actually considered little over average
    We dutch are pretty tall to begin with
    There is one guy in my gym, and he is buffed with arms 3 times my size, and is little over 2 meter, if i would have to guess, i'd say he is 2.05)

He can't even use the squat rack properly, because the highest bar setting is too low for him (i use it at highest setting already)

When he does pull ups as well, he needs to tuck in his feet behind him, otherwise when he hangs, he touches the ground
    I am about 2-3 cm above ground when hanging at pull up bars

Jealous of these tall people problems!!! Solely because if I was tall I could eat so much more food 😂🤣😂

With all the workout you do, i am convinced you can eat a lot more than i do, without gaining.
    I have my calories set on 2100 right now

I’ll be honest that’s a sore spot 😂 One that my coach is always giving me *kitten* about. I eat about 1620 a day and both my strength and nutrition coaches want me at around 2200. I also, don’t need anyone chiming in here telling me that’s too low.... I’m aware, I struggle with the increase mentally but am working on it. It’s a hard adjustment when spending so long trying to lose so much weight.

As someone who has been eating under 1000 calories a day (when i started my weightloss) and at 155 kg i am definatly not judging
    Did that for about 8 months, and...well lets say, i recovered from it 5 years later
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    On the whole children lifting topic, i am shocked we do not let young kids lifts, have you seen the squat of a toddler, many would be jealous of that form 😂😂😂

On a more serious note, i think age 10-13 should be a good age to start lifting for children (kinda depends on their build and growth)
    I do not have children myself, but in my gym there is a father/daughter coming (at least that is how it was last year) and his duaghter is only 11 years old
    He makes sure she works on her form first and only use a empty (light, 5kg) barbell right now, altough i remember seeing her doing a deadlift with 2x10kg plates (also on the lighter barbell)

😆 haha! Gus you are funny. Little kids arent as tall as you either. They would be looking up to you with jealousy wondering if they'll be that tall when they grow up.

lol! Well i may be tall, but over here i think i am actually considered little over average
    There is one guy in my gym, and he is buffed with arms 3 times my size, and is little over 2 meter, if i would have to guess, i'd say he is 2.05)

He can't even use the squat rack properly, because the highest bar setting is too low for him (i use it at highest setting already)

When he does pull ups as well, he needs to tuck in his feet behind him, otherwise when he hangs, he touches the ground

Jealous of these tall people problems!!! Solely because if I was tall I could eat so much more food 😂🤣😂

With all the workout you do, i am convinced you can eat a lot more than i do, without gaining.

I’ll be honest that’s a sore spot 😂 One that my coach is always giving me *kitten* about. I eat about 1620 a day and both my strength and nutrition coaches want me at around 2200. I also, don’t need anyone chiming in here telling me that’s too low.... I’m aware, I struggle with the increase mentally but am working on it. It’s a hard adjustment when spending so long trying to lose so much weight.

As someone who has been eating under 1000 calories a day (when i started my weightloss) and at 155 kg i am definatly not judging
    Did that for about 8 months, and...well lets say, i recovered from it 5 years later

Same, most of my weight loss was when I was at 800 calories a day. Granted I’m much shorter than you but idk how I did it for so long. I will say my relationship with food has healed almost entirely.... I realized recently o don’t consider any food good or bad, and I never say things like I had a bad week. I used to do that a lot. Just some weeks my calories are higher or lower and I use it towards my performance.... more like a metric. That may seem small but took me years.
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,366 Member
    Options

Same, most of my weight loss was when I was at 800 calories a day. Granted I’m much shorter than you but idk how I did it for so long. I will say my relationship with food has healed almost entirely.... I realized recently o don’t consider any food good or bad, and I never say things like I had a bad week. I used to do that a lot. Just some weeks my calories are higher or lower and I use it towards my performance.... more like a metric. That may seem small but took me years.

That's definatly a healthier approach
    Alltough i must admit, i have let myself go these last few months, so i am going to challenge myself again when it comes to my eating (see my wall post)

With less workouts due to gym being closed, i fatten up faster. So in order to shed some fat, i definatly need to be more consistant in what i put into my mouth
    I could eat about 2800 calories with gyms open, because i burned so much more

I am bit of a control freak, so tracking really helps me
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    A little bit of yesterday’s light legs, still recouping from those deadlifts, so decided light weight was best. Did box squats, sumo and canon ball squats on the Smith, Leg Presses, Lunges, Leg Extensions and Lying Leg curls. Added in single legs to the Presses and extensions, thanks to @kinetixtrainer2 and when I say I’m waddling today I’m not even exaggerating. Most specifically my 🍑😅🤣

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148863abc7ea82430c5448c0a4d291955378b669d2c6e&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886eecbe92c727d1e0ffdf404f14b4dec7a519804b9&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

You beast, you. 👏🏼
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    A little bit of yesterday’s light legs, still recouping from those deadlifts, so decided light weight was best. Did box squats, sumo and canon ball squats on the Smith, Leg Presses, Lunges, Leg Extensions and Lying Leg curls. Added in single legs to the Presses and extensions, thanks to @kinetixtrainer2 and when I say I’m waddling today I’m not even exaggerating. Most specifically my 🍑😅🤣

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148863abc7ea82430c5448c0a4d291955378b669d2c6e&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886eecbe92c727d1e0ffdf404f14b4dec7a519804b9&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

I’m more than happy to take credit for these gifs 😏.

All joking aside, I respect your drive!
  • jennacole12
    Options

I’m more than happy to take credit for these gifs 😏.

All joking aside, I respect your drive!

Thank you! 🤣 I didn’t even post the lying leg curls gif Bc it seemed inappropriate 😂. Anyway, just now realizing I could have done single leg curls too 😑 damn!
  • jennacole12
    Options

You beast, you. 👏🏼

Always 💪🏻😏🤣 thank you 🥰
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I've had to deal with calorie increase/bulking fears too and I've never had nearly as much of significant weight loss phase; I can't imagine the mental barrier that comes with a more tumultuous weight history.

I grew up as mild/moderately overweight and allowed myself to get pigeonholed as the somewhat-out-of-shape nerdy guy for far too long. I've been lifting under structured programs for about six years but for the majority of that time I did so in a deficit or what I observed to be maintenance calories because I was so fat-phobic.

When I finally took the plunge to intentional bulk this this past fall I could only really stand to add about six pounds before I was uncomfortable and unhappy with my body. In actuality I probably needed to be leaner to start but I was spinning my wheels trying to do so and the calendar made it appetizing. Even that relatively modest gain spread August-December has made a noticeable difference in size and strength (I should look to see what I was benching in August, I'd maxed at 285 in May).

I also didn't think I'd ever dieted hard enough to have any significant metabolic adaptation; most of the time I hung around maintenance. To my surprise during the course of that fairly lean bulk my observed TDEE went up by ~150 cal/day and has stayed there since I ended the bulk on 1/1. Overall, since I started back-calculating my TDEE (via an r/fitness spreadsheet) in mid 2017 my TDEE had been depressed by a little more than 6% compared to where I am now after about only 18 weeks in a surplus. I've been consuming a lot more content from Renaissance Periodization via social media and podcasts lately and this n=1 lends credence to their guidance around limiting the time spent in diet phases and incorporating maintenance phases at a minimum of every 8-12 weeks.

Since this is primarily a lifting thread, I'll note that I'm unreasonably excited to get to my workout tomorrow. My new change plates came last week so I'm probably going to take a crack at 300. Put up three smooth triples at 265 Monday. I'm also planning to work from home tomorrow so I'll be able to take my time and I'll make sure I get a few gifs to post.
  • jennacole12
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I've had to deal with calorie increase/bulking fears too and I've never had nearly as much of significant weight loss phase; I can't imagine the mental barrier that comes with a more tumultuous weight history.

I grew up as mild/moderately overweight and allowed myself to get pigeonholed as the somewhat-out-of-shape nerdy guy for far too long. I've been lifting under structured programs for about six years but for the majority of that time I did so in a deficit or what I observed to be maintenance calories because I was so fat-phobic.

When I finally took the plunge to intentional bulk this this past fall I could only really stand to add about six pounds before I was uncomfortable and unhappy with my body. In actuality I probably needed to be leaner to start but I was spinning my wheels trying to do so and the calendar made it appetizing. Even that relatively modest gain spread August-December has made a noticeable difference in size and strength (I should look to see what I was benching in August, I'd maxed at 285 in May).

I also didn't think I'd ever dieted hard enough to have any significant metabolic adaptation; most of the time I hung around maintenance. To my surprise during the course of that fairly lean bulk my observed TDEE went up by ~150 cal/day and has stayed there since I ended the bulk on 1/1. Overall, since I started back-calculating my TDEE (via an r/fitness spreadsheet) in mid 2017 my TDEE had been depressed by a little more than 6% compared to where I am now after about only 18 weeks in a surplus. I've been consuming a lot more content from Renaissance Periodization via social media and podcasts lately and this n=1 lends credence to their guidance around limiting the time spent in diet phases and incorporating maintenance phases at a minimum of every 8-12 weeks.

Since this is primarily a lifting thread, I'll note that I'm unreasonably excited to get to my workout tomorrow. My new change plates came last week so I'm probably going to take a crack at 300. Put up three smooth triples at 265 Monday. I'm also planning to work from home tomorrow so I'll be able to take my time and I'll make sure I get a few gifs to post.

It is true, it so mental and having been obese and then the struggle to lose that weight, 70 lbs at my lowest, makes it even harder. It has been years since I hit my lowest, but still seeing the scale creep, I panic. I don’t consider myself dieting anymore I track protein and calories but they are maintenance to me.... my coach says my maintenance is too low and I can afford more, as you said I have suffered some metabolic adaptations and he wants to correct that before going or even considering another cut. I am going to look into the podcasts you suggest, I would like to learn more about diet cycling so to speak, that is not something I’m very familiar with at all.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    The struggle with calories/restriction is real. I mostly compensate with exercise, because I want to eat and I try to eat balanced, but I still want my chips, chocolate, and cookies! Whenever I actually log food, I tend to cut too much and lose weight quickly and then just quit and revert back to my "normal".
  • steveko89
    Options

It is true, it so mental and having been obese and then the struggle to lose that weight, 70 lbs at my lowest, makes it even harder. It has been years since I hit my lowest, but still seeing the scale creep, I panic. I don’t consider myself dieting anymore I track protein and calories but they are maintenance to me.... my coach says my maintenance is too low and I can afford more, as you said I have suffered some metabolic adaptations and he wants to correct that before going or even considering another cut. I am going to look into the podcasts you suggest, I would like to learn more about diet cycling so to speak, that is not something I’m very familiar with at all.

The Podcast is the RP Strength podcast, it's roughly weekly, hosted by RP CEO NIck Shaw and his wife, usually have a guest and seemingly every third or fourth show that guest is RP co-founder Mike Isratel.

They also have put out some good free info on their website after looking at the userbase of their app. They're basic guidance is a diet phase of no more than 1% loss per week for a max of 12 weeks, followed by a maintenance phase of at least half the length of the diet phase. Looking at user success, there's a demonstratively higher success rate if loss rate is kept closer to 0.5% per week and the time is limited to 6-9 weeks. Practically speaking, if applying that approach it makes the most sense to me to use 12 week blocks for dieting, 8 losing and 4 at maintenance.

I kicked the tires on their ap vs. MFP but it's $15/month and I'm cheap as *kitten*. I did find a jpg of a few of their diet templates (precursor to the app) so I've shoe-horned that into MFP and have been trying that since Saturday. Focuses a lot more on meal and macro timing; protein dosed throughout the day, higher carbs and avoid fat around training, bedtime casein, etc. For me it's not a huge adjustment, I was used to basically having four meals per day without much thought to macro distribution beyond a roughly even split on protein. Now I'm doing six smaller protein intakes and shifted some of my usual foods around to try to match the per meal macro guidance. So far I feel like it's making some difference so I'm going to stick with it for a while.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options

Great post. If you’re hitting 265 for 3 you should getting 300 for sure. I like your approach to the planning and implementation of your regiment.
  • steveko89
    Options

Great post. If you’re hitting 265 for 3 you should getting 300 for sure. I like your approach to the planning and implementation of your regiment.

Thanks. Sometimes I worry I get too bogged down in the data and details.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    dsc84 wrote: »
    In the spirit of learning, I'd really like to seek some opinions from this group. I am curious at what age you would say it's okay to start lifting? I have read a good number of articles and sport medicine journals on this, but I'm guessing that some of you have had experience, and or have an opinion on this. I ask because my oldest (11yo Female) has expressed some interest in this, and quite honestly she's built like her Dad (thats me :smile: ) so I honestly think if she wanted to she would do well with lifting weights. I'm all for it and see no reason not to let her with proper supervision, low weight, and focus on movement/form right now, but I also know that there is another school of thought on this.

I haven’t read any of the other posts responses yet but I’ve always heard 13 or 14 due to possible growth plate issues if started to early. But I honestly don’t know for sure.

My perception is that both that growth plate issue and the more existential threat of injury have largely been debunked, especially comparing the rates of concussions and ligament injuries to other more main-stream sports which are often considered safer.

That’s good to know, thank you. So what age have you heard is OK to weight train? I have a 10 year old that’s chomping at the bit.

Im absolutely shocked that you dont have this kid in the gym with you already! ;) sounds like some perfect daddy & me time.

My 17 year old is. I enjoy that time with him for sure. My others have been coming with me to the gym since they’ve been in car seats. They just haven’t been allowed to “lift”. It may be gym specific but I think the gym I’m at now won’t allow anyone under 13 lift. I’ll check on that tomorrow and report back 😉

Do tell. I didnt think about it being a gym age limit issue. People seem to bring their smaller ones to crossfit gyms all the time. Never occurred to me.

Love that your babies go to the gym with you.

At 14 they can be added to the family plan and start lifting with adult supervision. At 16 they can come on their own if they chose. I think these rules may be aimed at satisfying liability insurance policies than anything else.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    Options
    Just came and read and wanted to say...

You are all so freaking awesome. :heart:

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Wasn’t exactly smooth but 300 lb bench in the books.
    801ywxhh08ak.gif
    7xou88wqhhna.jpeg

Idk if there was sound, but I groaned for you on the way up! Wow, nice work💪
  • steveko89
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Was excited to post the gif right when it happened but wanted to add some context now that I finished my workout. I knew I was working from home today so I stayed up way too late last night as some prime revenge bedtime procrastination/self-sabotage so I was probably only on about 5.5 hours sleep and do just incorporate these attempts to max at the top of a pyramid. I don't think that's the intent of how it's written but it works out well in execution to work my way up to the two heaviest sets. Here's the whole workout on my sheet, I warm up with the bar, then a set of 135, then some weighted club swings and facepulls. Knock out two sets at 195, one at 245, one at 285, and then went for the PR all the while interspersing the accessory work between been sets. I don't really know if there are advantages or disadvantages to doing that but it keeps me moving and adds efficiency; which helps work against my tendency to just be leisurely on the days I work from home. bf11kzr3g4y8.jpeg
  • LGreenfield7
    LGreenfield7 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Wasn’t exactly smooth but 300 lb bench in the books.
    801ywxhh08ak.gif
    7xou88wqhhna.jpeg

Damn.... that is some nice strength.