GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I deadlifted kettlebells when I had a piriformis issues. Sydney Cummings and CDorner fitness have some good glute workouts that can help build strength in the glutes which helps not pull your lower back.
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    stljam wrote: »
    I have lower back issues so I have been researching ways for me to get more comfortable for me to begin. The resistance band idea here - https://www.hustlerfitness.com/blogs/training/how-to-deadlift-with-lower-back-problems seems interesting and something I plan to research more. I've had one surgery (life saver) and likely having another here in the near term (nothing major-no screws/plates) so I have time to research but I want to start incorporating some version of this in the mid summer.

Did any of you ever consider something like what they outline?

There is nothing wrong with form exercises. I think I started out with just deadlifting dumbbells and 45lb plates. It took me about a year to work up to an Olympic barbell. So if you are comfortable with bands, do it. Just make sure you are paying attention to form. Nothing kills a back like a bad deadlift. Good luck to you.

This... So much this. Form over weight every day.

Accessory lifts to strengthen Glutes, hip flexors in addition will help. I started with rack pull's to start and work on form, lowering as flexibility and form improved.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    Options
    dsc84 wrote: »
    I have lower back issues so I have been researching ways for me to get more comfortable for me to begin. The resistance band idea here - https://www.hustlerfitness.com/blogs/training/how-to-deadlift-with-lower-back-problems seems interesting and something I plan to research more. I've had one surgery (life saver) and likely having another here in the near term (nothing major-no screws/plates) so I have time to research but I want to start incorporating some version of this in the mid summer.

Did any of you ever consider something like what they outline?

There is nothing wrong with form exercises. I think I started out with just deadlifting dumbbells and 45lb plates. It took me about a year to work up to an Olympic barbell. So if you are comfortable with bands, do it. Just make sure you are paying attention to form. Nothing kills a back like a bad deadlift. Good luck to you.

This... So much this. Form over weight every day.

Accessory lifts to strengthen Glutes, hip flexors in addition will help. I started with rack pull's to start and work on form, lowering as flexibility and form improved.

I call this fighting the ego lifting. My ego wants me to go heavy... But if I feel pain, I need to stuff the ego and drop the weight. Then focus on form and strength at the lower weight until I feel confident increasing. Lower back pain when deadlifting, to me, means I am trying to lift something my body is not ready for.
  • 5ofseven
    5ofseven Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I feel like I’m so behind today but work, kids blah blah blah 🤣 Had an amazing gym day though, hit a 15 lb PR on my Axle clean and Press and 10 lb PR on the log after 4 fails.... I even did a happy dance after I hit the Axle PR and cried actual tears after the log press @KickassAmazon76 i know you’d appreciate that 😁

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886c17e39ff3cb2664c0fa9e938f19d186bcdb4a19c&rid=giphy.gif

This makes me grunt involuntarily :D
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    lm8bosdbbbnm.png
    Freeze frame, lol
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    kvxtfk50o8oc.gif
    Deads at 165
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    wy72xgc454c2.gif
    100lb bench
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    amp5z70j1ugw.jpg
    I had to cut the 100 lb bench sets short. A little bit ambitious on today's goal for 5x5!
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,132 Member
    Options
    I feel like I’m so behind today but work, kids blah blah blah 🤣 Had an amazing gym day though, hit a 15 lb PR on my Axle clean and Press and 10 lb PR on the log after 4 fails.... I even did a happy dance after I hit the Axle PR and cried actual tears after the log press @KickassAmazon76 i know you’d appreciate that 😁

Impressive!
    kvxtfk50o8oc.gif
    Deads at 165
    wy72xgc454c2.gif
    100lb bench

Your strength really impresses me. Good job!
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options

That is so awesome!! You're such a beast! ❤️ And I totally get the tears!
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    kvxtfk50o8oc.gif
    Deads at 165

Awesome job! If I might make one tiny suggestion... It would be to look at a spot lower in your line of sight so that you don't get the neck crane at the bottom of the lift. You made that lift look super easy! And ditto that bench press!! You're fierce!
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    kvxtfk50o8oc.gif
    Deads at 165

Awesome job! If I might make one tiny suggestion... It would be to look at a spot lower in your line of sight so that you don't get the neck crane at the bottom of the lift. You made that lift look super easy! And ditto that bench press!! You're fierce!

This neck thing is something I notice on squats too. Not sure how much it affects the lifts, but I'll try to remember to bring my focus down next week. I would never have caught it without pics and videos!
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    kvxtfk50o8oc.gif
    Deads at 165

This neck thing is something I notice on squats too. Not sure how much it affects the lifts, but I'll try to remember to bring my focus down next week. I would never have caught it without pics and videos!

Same here! I have a specific spot on my wall I look at for squats (it's actually a shadow), but for deads sometimes I forget. I find my neck gets sore if I'm looking up too much at the bottom and lifting a PR kind of weight.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    MDC2957 wrote: »
    5ggvzuyv522n.gif

😂

Hulk mode! 😁
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I love this thread and hate it. I love it because you all rock. Such inspiration, joy, pushing yourselves to be the version of you that you desire, etc. I hate it because it reminds me that I still can't lift yet. Patience may not be my most abundant quality, lol. Keep up the phenomenal work.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    I love this thread and hate it. I love it because you all rock. Such inspiration, joy, pushing yourselves to be the version of you that you desire, etc. I hate it because it reminds me that I still can't lift yet. Patience may not be my most abundant quality, lol. Keep up the phenomenal work.

Is there something you can do besides lifting? Something else we can celebrate along with you while you pause on the lifting? Running? Cycling? Yoga? Bodyweight exercises?

Hope you are able to return to lifting soon!
  • stljam
    Options

Is there something you can do besides lifting? Something else we can celebrate along with you while you pause on the lifting? Running? Cycling? Yoga? Bodyweight exercises?

Hope you are able to return to lifting soon!

I appreciate it.

Not really. Ice Hockey, hiking, boxing, lifting, etc. are all out. I have tried to do light elliptical (virtually no incline and virtually no resistant with a casual pace for me - 160 strides per minutes vs the normal 195-205) and even that significantly increases the nerve pain for days. Best I can do is walk flat surfaces now. Getting closer to what should be a permanent fix though which is good.
  • stljam
    Options
    Something else we can celebrate along with you while you pause on the lifting?

Actually, hmmm. I presume you know Arkells music? If so, would a gift lift count? lol.