GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I'm considering a slight bulk after spring break...if I can still go to the weight room regularly. What are your opinions on this? I'm not sure what my goals should be, but look forward to more energy for my lifts!
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    tbpmlolt94rg.jpg
    Completely unnecessary to bulk.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,132 Member
    Options
    I'm considering a slight bulk after spring break...if I can still go to the weight room regularly. What are your opinions on this? I'm not sure what my goals should be, but look forward to more energy for my lifts!

I think a good lean bulk you may enjoy. I wouldn’t really call it a bulk. It would be more upping your 3 macros a bit to fuel your workouts and feed your muscles the building blocks they need to repair and be stronger for the lifts your body is asking them to do.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    Options

I think a good lean bulk you may enjoy. I wouldn’t really call it a bulk. It would be more upping your 3 macros a bit to fuel your workouts and feed your muscles the building blocks they need to repair and be stronger for the lifts your body is asking them to do.

You said it so much better. LOL
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    tbpmlolt94rg.jpg

So...don't any weight?
  • GymGoddessGoals
    Options
    tbpmlolt94rg.jpg

So...don't any weight?

I didn't say don't do it, just that it was unnecessary. Kinetixtrainer2 gave a better way to do it. I will say from personal experience that bulking has never worked for me. Changing my macro and maintaining a healthy cal count has worked, though it can be an incredibly slow process. I've been lifting for a hand full of years now and have gotten my best results by running a recomp macro and working my butt off.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    If I increase all 3 macros... doesn't that mean my calories increase, and then I may be in a surplus, which means a gain? Sorry if I'm missing something here. Don't really see what the harm in gaining a few pounds and having more energy could hurt.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    Options
    @DancingMoosie Are you currently eating at a deficit? If so, how much?
  • GymGoddessGoals
    Options
    No you don't have to change your cal count with the macro, just the macro. And you will indeed gain weight overall; why? because muscle weighs more than fat. Generally "bulking" is an increase in cal count and change in macro. I have used a recomp macro and maintenance cals. That works best for me.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    No you don't have to change your cal count with the macro, just the macro. And you will indeed gain weight overall; why? because muscle weighs more than fat. Generally "bulking" is an increase in cal count and change in macro. I have used a recomp macro and maintenance cals. That works best for me.

I'm still not understanding...you change your macros, not your calories, so you're in maintenance...but you gain weight because muscle weighs more than fat? I understand recomp, but that would mean you slowly gain muscle and lose fat with maintenance calories(without gaining weight). I'm thinking of possibly slowly adding potentially muscle and fat.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    tbpmlolt94rg.jpg

So...don't any weight?

I didn't say don't do it, just that it was unnecessary. Kinetixtrainer2 gave a better way to do it. I will say from personal experience that bulking has never worked for me. Changing my macro and maintaining a healthy cal count has worked, though it can be an incredibly slow process. I've been lifting for a hand full of years now and have gotten my best results by running a recomp macro and working my butt off.
    If I increase all 3 macros... doesn't that mean my calories increase, and then I may be in a surplus, which means a gain? Sorry if I'm missing something here. Don't really see what the harm in gaining a few pounds and having more energy could hurt.

No harm what’s so ever. It’s all a personal choice based on the goals you set for yourself. If you’re already eating maintenance calories and if you have your macros set for ideal muscle growth already then if you up your macros a bit you will be in what most refer to as lean bulk.

If your macros are not ideal and you adjust your ratios between the three then you can stay at your current calorie count while building a bit more muscle because you’re now giving your body the proper building blocks it needs to build that muscle.

Some do what’s called a dirty bulk (which can be enjoyable) where they eat everything and anything for the sake of getting as many calories in as possible. This typically comes with adding a lot more excess body fat.

I hope this somewhat makes sense.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    So then what's the difference between a maintenance macro count and a recomp?
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options

Would this be an example? if you previously set your goals to be 1,600 calories with a 30%/35%/35% protein/fat/carb split and you change them to be a 40%/30%/30% split but still 1,600 calories?
    If you’re already eating maintenance calories and if you have your macros set for ideal muscle growth already then if you up your macros a bit you will be in what most refer to as lean bulk.
    Maybe explaining "upping your macros" with an example might help some of us.

I always though as macros as a zero sum game meaning adding the % of my calories derived from fat, carb and protein would always equal 100% of my calories. So if my number of calories is fixed, I can up some of my macro % but others will have to be reduced.

• kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    stljam wrote: »

Would this be an example? if you previously set your goals to be 1,600 calories with a 30%/35%/35% protein/fat/carb split and you change them to be a 40%/30%/30% split but still 1,600 calories?
    If you’re already eating maintenance calories and if you have your macros set for ideal muscle growth already then if you up your macros a bit you will be in what most refer to as lean bulk.
    Maybe explaining "upping your macros" with an example might help some of us.

I always though as macros as a zero sum game meaning adding the % of my calories derived from fat, carb and protein would always equal 100% of my calories. So if my number of calories is fixed, I can up some of my macro % but others will have to be reduced.

Yes, you’re exactly right. You’d have to drop one in order to up another if you don’t want to up your calorie count.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    @dancingmoosie

j97fu76t2sp7.jpeg

This is my wife’s current meal plan. She is 5’4”, 132.6 lbs and 17.1% bf

You may have to adjust if your stats are different. She is currently on a lean bulk.
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    2z36g1kh1fz2.gif
    Building up the front squats. Easily one of my weakest lifts. Happy with the 225 for 3. I’m pretty sure I can do that weight for my working sets next time. Felt light as the squat, it’s the holding up and keeping the weight locked in Position that’s the struggle.

Also definitely need to either get a gym partner, my wife, or a tripod for recording images. Best bet is tripod because last gym partner quit showing up, and the wife refuses to lift with me because it takes to much time to switch out weights. LOL.

• jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

I agree, I upped my calories (slowly) about 600-800 a day increasing all my macros but I still eat mostly clean. I did gain a bit at first I think 4 lbs but have maintained my weight for about 8 months after.... I love the energy and strength increase and definitely see the growth in my abs and 🍑 the most.... idk how well I will hold onto that growth when I cut again, but I was in a deficit so long the bulk felt amazing especially to start.
  • jennacole12
    Options
    dsc84 wrote: »
    2z36g1kh1fz2.gif
    Building up the front squats. Easily one of my weakest lifts. Happy with the 225 for 3. I’m pretty sure I can do that weight for my working sets next time. Felt light as the squat, it’s the holding up and keeping the weight locked in Position that’s the struggle.

Also definitely need to either get a gym partner, my wife, or a tripod for recording images. Best bet is tripod because last gym partner quit showing up, and the wife refuses to lift with me because it takes to much time to switch out weights. LOL.

They are the worst aren’t they???? 🤣 Go on Amazon and buy a clutch it, I love it 😁
  • jennacole12
    Options
    @dancingmoosie

j97fu76t2sp7.jpeg

This is my wife’s current meal plan. She is 5’4”, 132.6 lbs and 17.1% bf

You may have to adjust if your stats are different. She is currently on a lean bulk.

Fat momma meal 🤣🤣🤣🤣 that sounds like a meal I’m gonna need ASAP!