GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,549 Member
    Options
    It’s amazing to me that Monday’s squats felt so much “lower”. Video shows not low enough. I really need to work on technique. This was 90. I was so focused on depth, I completely forgot the weight was on bands. It felt like they were just regular plates. They didn’t swing at all.
    xrn5qprwwods.gif

Love seeing your posts! That looks like such a challenging way to squat! I tried it with bench once and I couldn't handle much weight at all. Lol

Do you do any leg /hip warmup and stretches before you squat?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options

Do you do any leg /hip warmup and stretches before you squat?

I’ve usually walked several miles and/or done a yoga class before I go to the gym. I ride my recumbent bike half an hour as soon as I get out of bed, too.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    6o5ey1nhiokd.png

Not specific to lifts but this virtual competition is coming up next week for anyone lifting in a home gym (not just garages). I've done it for the last two years and it's pretty fun to follow on IG. Participants and sponsors have grown a lot and any entry gets you in the prize raffles, regardless of total.

I haven't done any other competitions so it's a good year to year benchmark for me. In 2019 my total was 1015, 2020 was 1055. Should be able to add at least 15 to my bench and we'll see if I've maintained Squat and DL.
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options
    hee7v9znbnf2.jpg
    I'm having a little bit of a mental block on my squats. Just a fear of losing it. Trying to work through it slowly...pullups were bleh

Same boat here - my fear of re injuring my back is always in the back of my mind - but your squat to bw ratio is impressive- I struggled with 195 yesterday at 180 bw - good work
  • cowsfan12
    Options
    It’s amazing to me that Monday’s squats felt so much “lower”. Video shows not low enough. I really need to work on technique. This was 90. I was so focused on depth, I completely forgot the weight was on bands. It felt like they were just regular plates. They didn’t swing at all.
    xrn5qprwwods.gif

Nice work - to add to Sandy’s question try the couch stretch and 90/90 - worlds greatest stretch and bird dogs to help with hip mobility- i recently started doing these before squatting and have seemed to help

Here’s a good article

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/mobility-101-basics-of-mobility

• KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Another instalment of "nope, not yet" 😂

rug51y0twdvi.gif
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,096 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhh!!

I've been working on wide grips lately and I did a pile of singles and assisted yesterday. Today... I don't know what happened... But look!!! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

25uq86h7n9fl.gif

Congrats!! 💪🏼😀💪🏼
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Ahhhhh!!

I've been working on wide grips lately and I did a pile of singles and assisted yesterday. Today... I don't know what happened... But look!!! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

25uq86h7n9fl.gif

Congrats!! 💪🏼😀💪🏼

Thank you!! ❤️
  • springlering62
    Options
    OK I tried hip thrusts for the first time Friday, 55 pounds. (I was experimenting with feet out versus feet closer to hips, a lá yoga/Pilates style, which I’m accustomed to.)

Weight was no problem, but how are you guys padding your hips?

I no longer do a particular yoga pose because of the deep, painful bruises it leaves on my hip bones. Thrust is hitting same exact spots.

oaaso562i8f8.gif

• KickassAmazon76
    Options
    OK I tried hip thrusts for the first time Friday, 55 pounds. (I was experimenting with feet out versus feet closer to hips, a lá yoga/Pilates style, which I’m accustomed to.)

I no longer do a particular yoga pose because of the deep, painful bruises it leaves on my hip bones. Thrust is hitting same exact spots.

oaaso562i8f8.gif

I have always seen the hip thrusts done with your shoulders on a bench so that at the top of the thrust, you're squeezing your glutes and making a bridge.

That said, those kind of bridges are crazy effective, so I'm sure these work well too!

For the bruising, I bought a section of pipe insulation and fit it over my bar. It's a grey foam tube that has a cut down the side and is used to keep pipes from being exposed to the elements. It looks like you have the squat bar pad... Is it stiff or spongy?

I've also seen people use a rolled up towel.

It's been a while since I did them, but I still remember the bruises!
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Been a while, but I did some light squats (100lb to test out the hip. Still some mobility issues at the bottom of the squat. Sigh)

Here's a highlight reel...

icgegziig8jz.gif
  • springlering62
    Options
    The Kitty Kiss crunches are awesome. My cat likes to climb underneath me during arm balances. Oh well, more incentive to hold without crushing the little booger.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    @springerling62
    I bought a thick foam bar pad on Amazon for hip thrusts and glute bridges
  • springlering62
    Options

oaaso562i8f8.gif

I have always seen the hip thrusts done with your shoulders on a bench so that at the top of the thrust, you're squeezing your glutes and making a bridge.

That said, those kind of bridges are crazy effective, so I'm sure these work well too!

For the bruising, I bought a section of pipe insulation and fit it over my bar. It's a grey foam tube that has a cut down the side and is used to keep pipes from being exposed to the elements. It looks like you have the squat bar pad... Is it stiff or spongy?

I've also seen people use a rolled up towel.

It's been a while since I did them, but I still remember the bruises!

My trainer is very particular about starting new things in ways I’m least likely to hurt myself til she can gauge how to proceed. Hence floor and big bumpers.

It was a squat pad but didn’t give enough padding. I have crazy bony hips. I’ll try your suggestions. Thanks!
  • springlering62
    Options
    @springerling62

Oh jeez. There’s such a thing as a thrust and a glute bridge? Heading off to google…….
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Oh, I've also heard of people using a pool noodle. Cut to fit and sliced down the width.
  • cowsfan12
    Options
    Ahhhhh!!

25uq86h7n9fl.gif

Awesome!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    @springerling62

Oh jeez. There’s such a thing as a thrust and a glute bridge? Heading off to google…….

The thrust is with your shoulders elevated(like on a bench) and a glute bridge is flat or feet elevated. I have been doing single leg elevated glute bridges because we have padded body bars at the gym around 20lb and then I don't have to load bar and plates.