Options

Replies

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    What's a podcast?????

I can't tell if you're joking or not...
    Think of a radio talk show or an old-timey radio drama. Pretty much any topic you can think of.

@avidkeo One other one. Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard. It's a classic interview format but they are usually pretty funny and the length varies quite a bit depending on the guest so it's easy to find one the right length for your run.

Well, with my fly rod I can make a roll cast, a false cast, and a sidearm cast.

Kidding about the podcast. It's something that young people listen to.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Be back later but on the subject of podcasts, I like to listen to ones that make me laugh while I run:

Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend
    Literally! with Rob Lowe
    Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
    Ask Me Another
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,788 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    ... I kind of varied my usual route and when I got to the turn for home I realized I would be at 8.75 miles (I was planning 8) so naturally I had to go an extra block to get to an even 9.  Although my hip felt a little tight after the run so I hope I didn't over do it. But tomorrow will be a rest day and the hip feels ok now. It doesn't really hurt and not exactly in the same spot as before so I think it is probably a combination of paranoia and my shoes have over 400 miles on them.

2021 Races: I need to sign up for some races! 😁

OMG I can't get but 200 miles out of my shoes before they lose padding and I start getting a shin splint. 400 is awesome. Hope your hip is better today and I totally am the same way about having to go the extra to make it even.... ROTFLOL
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,959 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @mbaker566 That's a lot of snow. I had forgotten you live in WI. I have cousins there. Glad your tripod foster was adopted and hope the new one gets a good home soon.

Great running @eleanorhawkins ! Love the way you are getting it all in even with bad weather.

You are doing great @SummerSkier !

@hamsterwheel6 You're doing great too. The free Peloton sounds great, if I were going to be able to exercise for 2 months. Maybe they'll do the same thing next year and I'll be healthy enough to try it.

@Teresa502 I'm in awe that you run at 5. It's so hard for me to get up and out early.

@MiriS75 Sounds like you are doing great. Most people are slower with their dogs in tow.

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    What's a podcast?????

I can't tell if you're joking or not...
    Think of a radio talk show or an old-timey radio drama. Pretty much any topic you can think of.

@avidkeo One other one. Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard. It's a classic interview format but they are usually pretty funny and the length varies quite a bit depending on the guest so it's easy to find one the right length for your run.

I used to listen to him, loved his episodes with Kristen Bell - so sweet as a married couple. But I listened to one with Sarah silverman and he kept going on and on and on about how hot she was. It turned me off him. Even Sarah seemed to get a bit uncomfortable with it. I could just picture Kristen in the background, face palmed, shaking her head.
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Thank you! They usually offer 2 weeks free trial all the time. You could get it as late as Jan 31 and get 2 months from that day. Maybe the yoga and meditation could help you after surgery.
    Thinking of you and prayers and hugs for Friday.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo lol I feel like that picture that did the rounds on the internet of someone running in front of a huge storm trying to outrun it! Currently drinking coffee and telling my legs that the CAN cope with 5 miles once it gets light and that the 10k yesterday didn't really happen and was all in their imagination. Oh, and that they get 3 days off running after that. Of course, I'm probably jinxing the universe and now it won't even rain, or it'll be a couple of drops. Though the forecasts are 100% storm hitting us and staying for 3 days.
    You sound well prepared for your surgery, I'm sure it will be a relief to get it done and hope you have an easy recovery. We'll all be here sending out virtual hugs and healing thoughts.

On the topic of dogs, I forgot to share the conversation my husband and I had about them on a walk the other day. He does not like pets at all, he puts up with my daughter's rabbits because he has nothing to do with them apart from occassionally being asked to collect food. So I mentioned that I wouldn't have a dog in an apartment, but that sometimes I do feel jealous when I see people running with dogs and that as a woman who runs alone, often in far from busy areas, I think it would be good protection. However, I also mentioned that it's enough of a worry when I encounter a dog that it might attack me, and that it would be even worse if it attacked my dog (my mother got a nasty bite a couple of years ago when a loose dog attacked hers and she ended up in between them). His answer?.... "Can't you rent a dog somewhere for runs?" "How would that stop other dogs attacking it?" I asked... "It wouldn't matter if it was a 'hire dog'," he said. Argh! lol. And that's why we don't have pets.

You actually can “rent” a dog for runs here - the humane society is right on the Shelby Farms grounds and several runners have arranged to take dogs out with them. Older people with younger dogs might be interested in letting you exercise their dog.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo lol I feel like that picture that did the rounds on the internet of someone running in front of a huge storm trying to outrun it! Currently drinking coffee and telling my legs that the CAN cope with 5 miles once it gets light and that the 10k yesterday didn't really happen and was all in their imagination. Oh, and that they get 3 days off running after that. Of course, I'm probably jinxing the universe and now it won't even rain, or it'll be a couple of drops. Though the forecasts are 100% storm hitting us and staying for 3 days.
    You sound well prepared for your surgery, I'm sure it will be a relief to get it done and hope you have an easy recovery. We'll all be here sending out virtual hugs and healing thoughts.

On the topic of dogs, I forgot to share the conversation my husband and I had about them on a walk the other day. He does not like pets at all, he puts up with my daughter's rabbits because he has nothing to do with them apart from occassionally being asked to collect food. So I mentioned that I wouldn't have a dog in an apartment, but that sometimes I do feel jealous when I see people running with dogs and that as a woman who runs alone, often in far from busy areas, I think it would be good protection. However, I also mentioned that it's enough of a worry when I encounter a dog that it might attack me, and that it would be even worse if it attacked my dog (my mother got a nasty bite a couple of years ago when a loose dog attacked hers and she ended up in between them). His answer?.... "Can't you rent a dog somewhere for runs?" "How would that stop other dogs attacking it?" I asked... "It wouldn't matter if it was a 'hire dog'," he said. Argh! lol. And that's why we don't have pets.

You actually can “rent” a dog for runs here - the humane society is right on the Shelby Farms grounds and several runners have arranged to take dogs out with them. Older people with younger dogs might be interested in letting you exercise their dog.

And here I thought I could make money out of walking other people's dogs. :D
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Options

I want a rented dog too...

new business idea!?
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    TBH I did think about talking to the people at the animal shelter, who sometimes used to post requests on social media for volunteers to walk dogs, see if they had any that might like to run.
    But I would be even more worried about something happening to a dog that wasn't even mine, not less!
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    TBH I did think about talking to the people at the animal shelter, who sometimes used to post requests on social media for volunteers to walk dogs, see if they had any that might like to run.
    But I would be even more worried about something happening to a dog that wasn't even mine, not less!

are dog size Zorbs a thing?

I need to find a dog - walking your dog doesn't count as your one exercise apparently...
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options

are dog size Zorbs a thing?

I need to find a dog - walking your dog doesn't count as your one exercise apparently...

Does it have to be yours? Do any of your neighbours have dogs? Does anyone keep track of how many times the same dogs are walked?
    Mind you, when we were in total no exercise lockdown here, the police quickly cottoned on to the dog walking thing and were fining anyone more than 50 metres from their front door with their dogs...
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    Options
    @SummerSkier I think mileage depends on the shoes, just swapped my Asics sonoma 3s for my Christmas present Sonoma 4s!! The 3s had done 370 miles and what a difference, like running on air!
    @thisvickyruns Good luck in the London ballot, I was tempted but it is 3 weeks after the Brighton marathon which I am already in for and I don’t think I have two races in me that close together (not sure I have one yet!)
    @quilteryoyo You got this, Friday will be a breeze
    @eleanorhawkins I like the hire dog idea, I wonder if anyone near me has a dog that needs a run?

New shoes - mud - ggrrrhhh!!!