January 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i run faster with my dog. but we run canicross. so she pulls me(controlled pulling). running is a job so no sniffing. speed demon loves it.
    walks are for sniffing.

i was thinking of seeing how candy does with running. she walks pretty well in the yard with no distractions. but she's pretty low key, so walks and hikes might be more her thing.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Tramboman wrote: »
    TBH I did think about talking to the people at the animal shelter, who sometimes used to post requests on social media for volunteers to walk dogs, see if they had any that might like to run.
    But I would be even more worried about something happening to a dog that wasn't even mine, not less!

are dog size Zorbs a thing?

I need to find a dog - walking your dog doesn't count as your one exercise apparently...

Does it have to be yours? Do any of your neighbours have dogs? Does anyone keep track of how many times the same dogs are walked?
    Mind you, when we were in total no exercise lockdown here, the police quickly cottoned on to the dog walking thing and were fining anyone more than 50 metres from their front door with their dogs...

I wonder if I could rent myself out as a running companion? I'm house trained...

@Tramboman shame you're in the wrong country, I would pay you in brownies :-p

So after doing Monday, Wednesday AND Thursday's runs all between yesterday and today, I for some reason decided I needed stuff from two different stores so walked to one this morning and the other this afternoon. I think I'm subconsciously stocking up in case there's another lockdown coming. My legs are not very amused about this.

As we haven't been able to get together this xmas, my mother sent me money for xmas and my birthday, so I got myself a new nylon strap for my Garmin, as the rubber one has been upsetting my skin, ordered a Runderwear bra (which is in transit, supposedly, it's taking a lifetime for ANYTHING to get here from abroad atm) and a pocket TENS/EMS machine. I have a strange liking for the sort of tingly sensation, no idea whether it actually helps but I think so. I slapped it on the backs of both legs for a while yesterday and they were nowhere near as grumpy this morning when forced to run again as I expected them to be. Will do the same later, if I ever finish these boring articles I'm supposed to be translating....

Storm Filomena as they've called her is due to hit us tomorrow. I don't need to go out again until Friday afternoon, just hope the electricity doesn't cut out as it generally does here.

Now I wish I had a passport...
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,064 Member
    02/01 2.38 miles
    05/01 2.36 miles

4.74 of 30 miles

@skippygirlsmom - You sound very brave on the way you coped with you accident!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited January 2021
    @dreamer12151 I foster thru Rescue Gang.
    We have the potentials come meet the dog and bring their dog(s) to see if they get along. depending on how far away they are, we do a meet or virtual meet.
    fees are usually between 300 and 500. dog has rabies, microchip, and other vaccinations.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    For those curious about the New Year's GPS errors. I was wondering why my map was so messed up the other day!

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/01/gps-accuracy-impacting-devices.html
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Hey all. A gentle 6.5k this morning.

I asked @runs_on_espresso this, but haven't seen her in a few days (hope you are OK!) had anyone used the paid version of Run with Hal? I am contemplating it cause the ability to move my long run around would be good. And I kinda like the idea of the app actually adapting to me.

Feedback?

I paid for the full version of MFP think3it would give more useful features, and no. So far not really.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Sorry I needed a few days away but I read through the thread.

Went to orthopedic doctor today. First when they took the splint off I have a fracture blister. It happens when you get a fracture in an area with thin skin and it needs to heal before surgery. I have surgery scheduled for the 15th to repair a fracture of the lateral malleolus of the right fibula and deltoid. Basically the fibula is broken and on the inside of my foot the ankle joint which fits tightly doesn’t anymore. It’s pulled away tearing the ligaments off my bone including breaking a piece of the bone off.

Screws and pins etc to fix. At least 4 weeks non weight bearing, which isn’t bad, but this was the gut punch. One year full recovery time. WTF did you say, I almost asked. She’s a runner too so she knows how I feel. She said we want you 100% healed so you never have any other problems. So that’s where I stand.

Gosh that’s rough. At least it sounds hopeful the long term outcome will be good.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,428 Member
    @skippygirlsmom yes, that is dreadful to think of 1 year not running, but better to take 1 year and be 100% then fight with it the rest of your life. Stay strong 💪
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,944 Member
    @eleanorhawkins Nice running stuff you were able to get with your Christmas money. Hope the storm isn't too bad.

Way to go @dreamer12151 ! Getting out there is often the hardest part of the run. Good luck with the IRS. I've been trying to contact them for the last week and they say due to a higher than normal volume, they are unable to handle my call. Well, I really would like to take care of the fact that I paid my taxed in May and they still think I haven't paid them. :disappointed:

@kirstymn That day trip sounds like fun. Hope you both enjoyed it!

@Avidkeo I hope @RunsOnEspresso is okay too. Haven't seen her in a while. Same with @WandaVaughn and maybe some others.

Oh no @skippygirlsmom ! Glad you got the surgery scheduled, but that's a long recovery. Does that mean no running for a full year, or limited? Sounds like we can commiserate on recovering together.

• libbyralls
    libbyralls Posts: 23 Member
    I haven’t run for a couple days. I was hoping to go today since it was in the mid 40’sF, but I didn’t have time. I have an event in Saturday that I’m doing lots of prep for, so hopefully next week will be less busy and I’ll be able to run more
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    @dreamer12151 good job on your first run since May! Take it slow but you are on a comeback!

@kirstymn that sounds like a wonderful day trip with your dad. Glad you are able to go.

@skippygirlsmom oh wow, you really did a number on that ankle. I'm sorry about the blister, the surgery and especially the long recovery. You are strong, so I know you can do this. Keep us posted on your upcoming surgery and how you're doing.