• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,822 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    🙋🏽‍♀️ Hi Friends. I'm still here. Just caught up reading. A rare occurance.

Allie: Rest and more rest. Sending healing energy your way.

Machka: Thanks for the series of 'getting to know you' questions. I've enjoyed reading everyone's responses. One food I miss is Salvadorean pupusas. I can get them from a restaurant about 30 minutes drive from here, but they just aren't the same.

DH's dementia is advancing every month. He is still healthy, ambulatory and continent, so safe to remain at home. Since the weather has cooled off considerably, he has cut back on the spontaneous "walks to his place". I have loud sensors on each door, and if I hear one go off while I am in another room, I can either catch what's happening on camera, or just follow him out. He mostly walks to the end of the condo breezeway to check the weather or see how many cars are in the parking lot. (sigh) His caregiver reminds me regularly that I am lucky he is still a sweet guy. I gracefully remind her she sees him for 10 hours a week. I get him for the remaining 158!

Younger brother gets weekly treatments for his ascites and end stage liver disease. It's not working. In between treatments, he has had several super painful days causing him to go to the hospital emergency room. He spent one night last month in ICU with an infection. Came home next day and has been better since. He could be doing more for himself, but I think his energy and will to live are shot. Of course in striking contrast to DH, DB is still mentally sharp with a quick wit. I pray daily for a miracle.

I've finally reset my eating and begun building a habit around daily riding of the recumbent bike. I'm up to 10 miles in 70 minutes (interrupted several times for some kind of caregiving task). I've subscribed to Misfits Market to get a box of imperfect veges and fruits every other week, and that's added some variety to our diets. I seldom leave the house, preferring to have everything delivered if possible. My exceptions are Trader Joe's, the liquor store and the green store.

Restaurants offering fine dining are abundant here, but out of the question with DH. He eats like a 3 year old. Has to have his food simply seasoned, and cut into very small pieces. Will add catsup to just about anything. He needs everything in a shallow bowl because motor skills are shaky and he spills every other bite. This is just another part of my new normal. Fortunately, before becoming a full time caregiver, I travelled and ate out a lot. I don't miss the food or ambiance of a nice restaurant as much as I miss the social aspect of it. Sharing the experience and enjoying the conversation -- good memories ☺☺☺

My DH can get his vaccine anytime he wants. Unfortunately, he hasn't grasped the reality of the pandemic, let alone the need for a shot. Believe me, I've tried! He doesn't interact with anyone outside of our household, (caregiver counts as one of our pod) so I'm not going to push him. My insurance provider has me as number 36,000+ on the wait list, so probably a few weeks off. I will be there with bells on.

Stay well, ladies. For my US friends in path of the storm, stay safe and warm. We can do this.

Rori
    Staying in the flow in the
    Colorado Foothills

{{Hugs}}

I did have to smile at this ...

"I've finally reset my eating and begun building a habit around daily riding of the recumbent bike. I'm up to 10 miles in 70 minutes (interrupted several times for some kind of caregiving task)."

First, I'm glad to hear you're riding your bike.

Second, I hear you about being interrupted several times. My situation doesn't include quite that many interruptions yet, but I have figured out why I can't entirely relax ever. The second I start to relax, there's something to deal with.

My thoughts are often with you!

M in Oz
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I have a question- I was logging my food. I put in my salad- a premade one-
    I type in the name and find it- the problem is on the package it says it is 150 calories but MyFitnessPal AND ReadyPac website both say 310 calories. Which one should I use?
    When I am sticking to 1000 calories a day (in case I am not logging exactly so I don't go over 1200), that difference is a snack for me.

Debbie
    Napa Valley Ca
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Allie take care and get plenty of rest <3
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    I have a question- I was logging my food. I put in my salad- a premade one-
    I type in the name and find it- the problem is on the package it says it is 150 calories but MyFitnessPal AND ReadyPac website both say 310 calories. Which one should I use?
    When I am sticking to 1000 calories a day (in case I am not logging exactly so I don't go over 1200), that difference is a snack for me.

Debbie
    Napa Valley Ca
    I think the package must know. The only explanation I can think of is if the package is telling you the amount per 100 grams (for example) rather than for the serving or package. Otherwise a lot of MFP entries (if not all) are made by humans. And there could be different serving sizes and version in different regions and countries.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Rori - I love hearing from you. I was just thinking about you yesterday. I'm very glad you are getting back into some kind of self care regime. It must be so hard to carve out time for yourself, but the cycling sounds excellent. Do you go out when the care giver comes? Sending you lots of love and hugs. <3

Didn't sleep between 3 and 6 am. Withdrawal pangs from 'Spiral'. Nodded off for an extra hour after that. Did finish off my Waitrose order though. You have to do it when it's not peak time as the web site crashes from overload. So sometimes a sleepless night is a blessing. I have run out of a lot of my hard to find locally Asian and Chinese ingredients, but managed to order everything I need. It's coming on Thursday, weather permitting. They are very Health and Safety conscious, (all the employees are partners in the company), so when you get a sprinkling of icy snow they cancel.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    edited February 2021
    Options
    unqxv9da87mh.png
    Weight 1 year, only a few pounds variation, but still going in the right direction.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,490 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: rx, BP, dogs to powerline, input last of 2017 and through May 2018 call sheets into NFIRS.
    Bonus: tried Terri’s high intensity dance routine, followed with Zumba gold.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, livestream church, fire district: finish inputting 2018, start vehicle grant app, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, research effective conflict resolution, index mutual aid files; call S, call C, call R, FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, Sleeping with the Devil, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments,
    Friendly February:
    6: Get back in touch with an old friend you’ve not seen for awhile: bday card to Cubby.
    7: Make an effort to have a friendly chat with a neighbor: hmm
    Lagopus wrote: »
    February Alphabet Challenge:
    1. A - Aerobic Dance video: https://youtu.be/yN3GgCUmmXw
    Terri - I did your Aerobic Dance video a couple days ago and :scream: I'm still sore! Actually it's an exaggeration to say I "did" it. That friendly fit woman with the shirt tied casually around her waist kept saying "Stay with me" and "Almost there" and I did my best. But DANG! I couldn't follow the moves because I've got two left feet. Later, I couldn't do anything except jump up and down in time to the music. Terri, if you followed along through the whole program, all I can say is: "You're a better (wo)man than I, Gunga Din!" >:)o:)
    Penny neither could I follow the moves. Old knees and zero upper body strength meant I just stepped high instead of jumping and did teensy pushups from the desktop instead of the crazy down out kick up in up pushups. Think I’ll try dee’s Disney dance workout next, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BvagMy85bI or the Zumba gold one.

Margaret, “sent home from kindergarten…” you rebel you!
    Carol, Julie, Heather I remember wearing a girdle in jr. high, guess I’ve always had a pot belly so a garter belt was out. Rejoiced when controltop pantyhose were invented. Our high school’s dress code dictated that skirt hems be within two inches either way of the center of the knee. No slacks allowed back then. It changed in 1969, the year AFTER I graduated ;)
    Tracey it only took 95 years for them to get over the shock… ;) Your daughter is both creative and touchingly thoughtful. Sorry your frozen back hurt so much, and diverted your physio from the hips.
    Allie please don’t stress about keeping up. Rest is the best rx.
    Flea no slips? Another rebel!
    Katla your gym uniforms sound much cuter (and more practical) than our blue, one piece, snap up, short, polyester jumpsuits. Ugh. Hadn’t thought of them for decades.
    Rori thanks for checking in. “praying daily for a miracle…” me too, for a couple of them for you.
    Debbie does the label say how many servings are in your salad? If its one, then in mfp when you click on the food, click nutrition info, when it asks “is this correct” click “no” and edit it to correct the info and save.
    Julie good direction!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    February: leaner/stronger/kinder than January.
    daily: sit with Joe: 6, weigh/wii: 6/1/x, steps>5627=3518, vits=6, log=6 CI<CO=6, CI<250<CO=5, Tumble=2 Shadow=4 mfp=6 outside=4 up hill=4
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3= rx=1 dance=1 clean 30 mins=1 packwalk=1, wt=1/31:141.3 2/7: 2/14: 2/21: 2/28
    mnthly: board mtg= , grant= , 21 plan= bonus: AF=4 play=4 sew= waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "

Carol, Julie, Heather I remember wearing a girdle in jr. high, guess I’ve always had a pot belly so a garter belt was out. Rejoiced when controltop pantyhose were invented. Our high school’s dress code dictated that skirt hems be within two inches either way of the center of the knee. No slacks allowed back then. It changed in 1969, the year AFTER I graduated ;)

Inches! my mom said when she was in school in the 30s that they had to have skirts and dresses 13 inches from the floor, and people would come with tape measures to check occasionally! :o
  • Machka9
    edited February 2021
    Options
    School Clothing -- I wore whatever I wanted to wear. By about Grade 4 everyone wore jeans and I wanted to wear jeans too. My mother, on the other hand, wanted to dress me up until about Grade 7 when I finally got into jeans. :):)

Between Grades 4 and 7, I did talk her into getting me one pair of pants that sort of looked a little bit like jeans, and otherwise dark coloured pants - as dark as I could talk her into: burgundy, blue, green etc.

These ... not "sort of like these" ... these! I just found them and in the write-up they say they were originally sold at Sears. My mother did a lot of her shopping at Sears. If that didn't stir up some flashbacks!

z9144oydu4h2.pngtja1y0jj6olu.png

Happily after about Grade 7, I went into jeans and didn't get out of jeans until dresses kind of made a slight surge in popularity in Grade 12.

The first college I went to encouraged business attire - dresses, skirts, dress pants, etc. and that was OK. After a bit I headed into the world of engineering and there I wore the most casual things in my wardrobe! Except in summer when the offices were hot ... then I'd break out the short skirts.

Now I work in Australia where people in offices are expected to wear business attire - dresses, skirts, dress pants, etc. I mainly wear dresses and skirts ... don't like pants very much. I wonder if it has to do with having to wear unstylish dress pants as a kid! It's also very hard to find a pair of dress pants that actually fits. Dresses and skirts are just so much more comfortable.

But as for pantyhose ... they're a big NOPE! I will wear black tights when I'm dressing up (like for my grad) but otherwise no way! I wore them for a while at that first college I went to, but found them so incredibly uncomfortable that I just stopped.

Now, in the winter, I wear leggings under my skirts and the summer, it's my own personal legs.

I also don't wear slips.

And at home, it's usually shorts and tank tops.

I'm assuming it is menopause, but I am usually hot with waves of fire-like burning from time to time. For about 15 minutes right after the fire-like burning, I'm cold then I go back to being hot for a while till the next wave of fire comes. So I've got a collection of light-weight wraps and things to pop on over the shorts and tank tops during those occasional cold spells.

I'm wearing one now! Shorts, tank top and a light weight poncho-like beach wear thing designed to throw on over your bathing suit. It'll come off shortly when I resume feeling hot again.

M in Oz
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    427818su42xtrsvb.gif

I need a crocheting gif. 😂

Terri: I was thinking the SAME THING!! 😂
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,209 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    We had school uniform at my school. Dark navy blue with yellow highlights. Blazers with a badge - Servire Est Regnare. Gingham dresses in the summer. Of course we rolled our skirts over at the waist. Bare legs not allowed, so we dabbed our stocking runs with nail varnish! :D
    Our family was too mean to buy new items, so I had to wear the same clothes for ever. My skirt was shiny, my cuffs were completely threadbare, my tie was a mere thread. My mother knitted my jumpers, which was a source of shame. We made our gym kit in the sewing class, but mine were rarely washed and never ironed. My grooming was not a priority in my mother’s life.
    I hated my school clothes and it was a great relief when I could wear my own clothes in the Upper Sixth.
    I still have my old school scarf, hat and tie in my memory box. A complete uniform is displayed in the Horsham Museum. :o

Unhappy memories for Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    edited February 2021
    Options
    spikeyhair wrote: »
    Just found out that BIL ashes can be interred at last it’s next Friday and only 6 can attend. His cremation was last June. It means not even his grandkids can attend.

Kate UK ❤️

Kate: perhaps someone could video-record the service and put in on YouTube? I know that sounds terrible (it did for me the first time I heard it suggested) but you can make the recording private and only people who have the link can view the recording. My aunt in So Dakota did that when my uncle passed. Their 4 kids/grands were in 4 different states and because of the laws about quarantining after traveling, 3 of the 4 kids could not attend. They shared the link with family members and it was so nice to at least be able to watch (and hear) the service. It's a thought.
  • Machka9
    Options
    My gym kit were those pants I posted above ... I didn't change! I was one of the few kids who didn't. While most kids wore some sort of 1970s style track suit, I wore polyester pull on pants.

That was until I was in Grade 7 and my gym teacher pulled me aside and told me to go change. Only I didn't have anything to change into. Very embarrassing for a 13 year old. I don't remember how this was communicated to my mother, but a short time later, I started wearing a pair of very short 1970s running shorts to gym class.

My parents did not have a lot of money so I suspect some of the outfits I wore in the Grades 4-7 years were the least expensive things they could find for me. By Grade 8 things had improved a bit and by about Grade 10 I was making some money in the summer and could buy what I liked.

M in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,917 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »

You know, part of me wonders if more and more people won’t wear a mask in the store once they are vaccinated. I don’t think there’s a way to find this out, tho
    Michele NC

:) I saw a sign on a building that said that masks were required and having had the vaccine did not negate your requirement to wear one. On the other hand, someone told me about a video of a store in another state where no one was wearing a mask.

:) Even after I get the second jab, I won't be going anywhere until I see evidence from a reputable source that the virus has been contained in my county.

<3 Barbie

• Mrs_Hoffer
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Allie: please take care of yourself. That's most important! 💖

Kate: I remember my grandmother fell and broke BOTH of her wrists when I was a kid! She was an avid crocheter and did needlepoint too. The doc told her that her wrists would never be the same, but she set out to prove him wrong. She crocheted and did her needlepoint to help "exercise" her wrists. Later, her doc told her that was probably the best thing she could have done as far as rehab.

Tracey: that old newspaper article made me chuckle. Especially the last sentence: Trousers are coming. If this shocks any of you, you better get over it! It took awhile, but look at how clothing has changed in 147 years!! Now I often wish people would put more clothes on and cover up a little bit more! Lol. I'm sorry about your back pain, that's so miserable and hard to get comfortable. The Christmas ornaments with pictures is such a wonderful idea, and an awesome gift! I buy or make a new ornament each year with a theme or a pic of something special about that year. I began that tradition in 2013 when I met my husband and we had our first Christmas together. Neither of us had anything Christmas decorations so we "started" over. In 2020 my 2nd great-granddaughter Sophia was born, so her baby pic is in the 2020 ornament, NOT a pic of DH and I wearing our COVID masks (which was my DH's idea!)

Heather: I love baby pics! He looks so precious and content!

Dee: Love your pic of you and Bumble. One of our rare sunny days in Ohio, eh?

Rori: How do you like the veggies in your Misfit Market box? Do you get a good variety and are they the same things every month? I've seen that advertised and thought about doing it.

Matchka: I too am hot all the time… well, until I'm cold. It's like there's nothing in between. I wear leggings most of the time and a short sleeve t-shirt with a sweater over top so that I can take it off and put it on. I don't ever wear turtlenecks or any over the head sweaters or sweatshirts because I'm always too hot in them.

I sit in my recliner with a fan pointed at me from across the room and when I have a hot flash, I take off my sweater, and turn on my fan (I have a remote control for the fan, that's how often this happens!) My poor DH (who doesn't even sit in the line of the fan) has to then stand up and PUT ON his sweater every time my fan comes on. Then, in about 5-10 mins, the hot flash will subside, I'll turn the fan off, get chilly and put my sweater back on. DH stands up and takes his sweater off as well. The whole routine cracks me up and is very funny to watch.

In HS I was 5'9" and only weighed 125 - I was skinny as a rail! I hated pantyhose because they would always sag at my knees and ankles. I can remember buying protein type powder that advertised making you "gain weight"! I told that story a few years ago at a family reunion and my brother exclaimed out loud "AND LOOK AT YOU NOW SIS! THAT STUFF REALLY WORKED!!" We all cracked up!

About school clothing: I would've been 8 in 1969 (3rd grade) when we moved to Ohio from Okinawa (dad was in the AF and we were stationed there 2 years). I don’t really remember not being allowed to wear pants or jeans, although when I look back at old photographs, my sister and I were always in dresses. Perhaps I came along right on the cusp of that change and didn't even know it. My mom made some of our clothes when I was in jr high. Most of them I really liked. She was a good seamstress, although she would never say that she was. She had also made all our doll clothes and Barbie doll clothes when we were little! AMAZING!! I do remember wearing a PE uniform in jr high. I HATED PE, I was terribly uncoordinated and awful at sports. I thought I would NEVER get through those years!

:heart: Teresa in OH
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,545 Member
    Options
    jgkapwkhcobw.jpeg
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,045 Member
    Options
    Heavy snow here in Delaware. I'm trying to figure out if it will rain later, which would mean shoveling is pointless.

I went for a walk yesterday and did my dumbbells, so I am feeling stiff this morning.

But I'm doing better at calories. I managed to get it set to 1100 but messed up my macros. I don't watch them much anyway. I wish there was a macro for raw fruits and veggies. I've been snacking more on apples and oranges instead of bread. I know that's better.

Annie in Delaware