WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this from my new computer! it is the only thing that is working.... grr

Kim in N California
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    exermom wrote: »

You know, part of me wonders if more and more people won’t wear a mask in the store once they are vaccinated. I don’t think there’s a way to find this out, tho
    Michele NC

It's like the flu vaccine, from my understanding. The vaccine doesn't keep you from getting it but it makes you less miserable if you do get it.

Others who have more direct medical experience could say for sure.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

You and I know this, but perception is everything. People get the polio vaccine and don't get polio. This is a flu VACCINE. Yes, the flu can mutate -- polio can't. Will people feel that now they are immune since they had the vaccine? Who knows?

It's not a flu vaccine ... if anything it is closer to the common cold. And it has been made quite clear the any immunity only lasts a temporary time. Maybe 6-12 months?? We don't know for sure yet.

M in Oz
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    :)
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,822 Member
    Options
    :)
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Both my grandkids were home schooled, I changed my views on education then, I think kids are trained to pass exams. My daughter did not have curriculum or formal lessons or times. They both learned to read at their own pace and have varying interests. I am a great believer in them learning through doing from a young age, maths using cooking or how much paint needed to decorate their room etc etc, the opportunities are endless.
    Sorry I’m getting a bit ranty but our system is in disarray including our universities where students are not taught to think for themselves.

Stay safe everyone

Kate (being a bit cynical) ❤️
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    [

You and I know this, but perception is everything. People get the polio vaccine and don't get polio. This is a flu VACCINE. Yes, the flu can mutate -- polio can't. Will people feel that now they are immune since they had the vaccine? Who knows?

[/quote]

It's not a flu vaccine ... if anything it is closer to the common cold. And it has been made quite clear the any immunity only lasts a temporary time. Maybe 6-12 months?? We don't know for sure yet.

M in Oz[/quote]

Like I said "perception is everything". Most people grew up with a vaccine for polio, smallpox, diphtheria, etc. etc. etc and they have a feeling (I know I do) of "safety". Will it be the same way with the corono vaccine? Who knows? I know that I'm going to continue to wear my mask. I don't have a feeling of "safety" with this vaccine. It will reduce the intensity, duration, etc. But it's not a "cureall" Only time will tell.....

Michele NC

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,545 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    mahxn1aqd017.jpeg

Put a load in the car. Should get the keys to our new home tomorrow
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Tracey you make me think our -5 is a heat wave!!!

Only walking Drew around the block. Only 5-10 minutes tops. Even with this I have to pick l her up when she lifts her paws because it is just too cold for her. Three days down seven to go.

My friend who worked in the foreign service said George Schultz worled well with others. He passed away today at 100!
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,489 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, livestream church, attended Joe thrice including some movie watching, emailed meeting reminder and last months’ minutes.
    Bonus: one load laundry, Junior firefighter permission form, substance abuse policy research and email.
    Get to do: Call textbook publisher, DDS, take BP, dogs to powerline, fire district: finish inputting 2018 call sheets into NFIRS, start vehicle grant app, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, research effective conflict resolution, index mutual aid files; call S, call C, call R, FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, Sleeping with the Devil, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments,

Friendly February:
    8: Share what you’re feeling with someone you really trust: What am I feeling? Like a stubborn toddler on the verge of a tantrum. DON’T’ want to finish inputting the forms or start the grant application. Don’t WANT to take my vitamins, or get up off my butt, or make better food and beverage choices. NO! DON”T want go the dentist. No, NO, noooo! Miss Kelly how to redirect a cranky terrible two year old?

Julie our high school administrators measured with rulers not tape measures. It was creepy.
    Machka “My mother… wanted to dress me up…” Mama gave me a permanent every six months until I was 13. Was able then to put my foot down and say “never again” and kept to it except for one disastrous body wave/shag in the 70s.
    Teresa in OH “I HATED PE”, right there with you sister. Ugh.
    Annie Won’t the raw fruits and veggies bump up your fiber numbers? I’ve never been able to balance my macros but try to keep an eye on protein, fiber and sodium.
    KJ’s FIX IT OR DIE would probably go viral. I’m with you on missing Karen in VA’s voice, Lanette’s too. :cry:
    Annie hooray for the size change!
    Heather what Katla said. :heartbreak: and Bravissima!
    Kylia “My senior year I switched schools and wore jeans and sweatshirts for my safety.” ?
    Tracey “pick up the phone” somber reminder. Glad your cousin was able to write about her experience. ((hugs))
    Beth so relieved to hear from you! Sorry about the knees, wonderful news about the debt and new pup!
    Terri :love: the crocheting mouse!
    Kim sorry for the backup/restore frustration. Windows 10?
    Michele agree with you, pip and Machka. The vaccine will only prevent or minimize me getting sick, it won’t keep me from passing it on to anyone else. And you’re all right, it’s just too soon to know for sure. Going maskless won’t be a choice here in Oregon for the foreseeable future.
    Pip woo HOO!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    February: leaner/stronger/kinder than January.
    daily: sit with Joe: 8, weigh/wii: 7/11/30, steps>5627=2101 :P, vits=6, log=7, CI<CO=6, CI<250<CO=5, Tumble=3 Shadow=5 mfp=7 outside=4 up hill=4
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3= rx=1 dance=1 clean 30 mins=1 packwalk=1, wt=1/31:141.3 2/7:142  2/14: 2/21: 2/28
    mnthly: board mtg= , grant= , 21 plan= bonus: AF=4 play=4 sew= waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Kim: My mom made clothes for me in elementary school but junior high and high school required “store bought” things. I worked at picking berries and beans in the summer to help pay for my wardrobe. When I was 16 I was able to work in the cannery during the summer. Then I bought most of my own clothes. :star:

Tracey: Stay warm! Those temperatures are seriously low! BRRRR! :heart:

Kylia: What a gorgeous white dog Sara was! Is this photo of puppy stage or grown up? :heart:

Terri: I love the crocheting mouse! YAY for your great find. :star:

This evening we watched the Super Bowl with both of our adult kids and their spouses. We were all at our own homes in 3 different states: Oregon, Illinois and Virginia. The game was in Florida. We watched the televised game together & chatted with one another via facetime & internet. The ability to share the experience as it was happening & chat with each other while we were all watching “together” was fabulous. It was amazing!!

Katla in NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,209 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Thin layer of snow here too in the 'balmy' South! CO O O L D D D D !
    Our house isn't brilliant in the very cold weather. Normally I don't leave the heat on overnight, but I did have it on last night. Our extension gets a bit chilly, even with the heat on.
    I don't think the bin men will come today. Health and Safety. Pavements too icy. ;):*

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    <3
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    BARBARA totally joining you in your tantrum, maybe we could stamp our feet in unison. 😂
  • Machka9
    Options
    fgmtk9newo4g.png
  • Machka9
    Options
    Forging ahead ...

I've tidied my desk area in the dining room! It really feels better.

I've organised my pyjamas and took the suggestion of using a deep drawer for them. So I'll have shoes in one deep drawer and pyjamas in the other.

I was able to put away a whole bunch of laundry ... filing it into the new system.

And I got into pullover sweaters and cardigans!

I cleaned out my work backpack.

We had friends visit to check out a few things my husband is doing with the garden.

And we went for a walk.

I also caught up on some paperwork.

Not bad for a day off.

Back to work tomorrow.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,209 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Katla - Yes, I agree, technology is wonderful. We also Zoomed yesterday, with the grandchildren. It was complete chaos and very frustrating, but so important to keep in touch. Bea was the easiest for a change. She drew us lots of dogs and cats, showing us each one as she did them. It was great! Max was a bit disengaged, and Edie was more interested in playing with the backgrounds, but it was still much, much better than nothing. We have agreed to have an 'accidentally on purpose' meetup in the park next weekend. We will see Nelly for the first time. We will keep our distance, as it's not officially allowed, but it will be 14 days since our jab and we haven't seen them at all since December. Can't wait! <3
    I'm really missing a long chat with DDIL and son.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Kate UK - Rich kids dress like rich kids even in uniform. You should have seen my threadbare outfit, literally in shreds. I was so envious of the ones whose parents could afford to keep them looking smart. Uniform didn't shield me from shame.
    My kids were lucky as it was just before the time of designer labels and the chic thing was a pair of jeans and a baggy t shirt. They often swapped shirts. Which was great for my kids as I was by then a single mother. I had no money for extra clothes. I felt sorry for the next generation when labels took over everything.
    I used to take groups of work study kids to visit schools. They commented that the rich kids were the worst dressed! That was true at my kids time, thank goodness. Dress down chic! It was a happy time of levelling down instead of conspicuous consumption. I hope that will happen again with attention paid to the environment.
    For me there is nothing worse than enforced conformism. My kids school was a co-ed, comprehensive, with no uniform. Extremely strong in the Arts and even Dance. My younger son got the best GCSE levels in the Borough.
    Kids in school uniform make me feel sick.....really. I am not a fan of conventional education at all. There has to be a better way. So many poor and deprived kids are primed to fail.

Rant over. Heather UK xxxxxxxx

@cityjaneLondon heather
    about uniforms and dressing down, and labels

Interesting about difference of wealth visible through maintenance of uniforms. I worked for 7 months in a primary school where kids wore uniforms and it seemed like a leveller to my eyes. some kids were as poor as can be and others the opposite. one of the proudest 5th grade girls lived in a shantytown! I would never have suspected her lack of wealth had we not dropped her off on the school bus.
    I think it depends for labels. I have never felt any real push to wear labels. it always seemed silly. when in middle school or so Calvin Klein jeans was becoming a thing but it seemed rather ridiculous. Why pay 70 dollars rather than 15 or 20 for jeans that are just jeans. Likewise I couldn't believe people would pay huge sums for a scarf with a name. I never got the torn-jeans fashion. I thought (and I guess now hoped) it would be a flash in the pan. It was only practical if you had a legitimately worn out torn thing that you could still wear a bit longer since it was trendy. Here it is definitely trendy in some circles to dress down, and wear things out. I'm glad.that was not the case for decades here.

@dlfk202000 150 sounds way better. sometimes on their websites the nutritional value is there.