WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lisa: I love the humor! :bigsmile:

Rebecca: The lego metropolis is awesome. :smiley:

Barbie: This is funny! “The town is known as the place where old people go to visit their parents." :laugh:

(((Cathy:))) I am so sorry for the loss of your DH. :flowrforyou:

Pip: You did a great job settling in to your apartment. Next step, moving into your new home. I’ve no doubt you and Kirby will make it a warm and pleasant home. I bet it will be wonderful. :star: I love the photo of the bike ride in the snow in Tacoma.

It is only 8:05pm and I am ready to settle in for a good night’s sleep.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Lisa: I love the humor! :bigsmile:

Rebecca: The lego metropolis is awesome. :smiley:

Barbie: This is funny! “The town is known as the place where old people go to visit their parents." :laugh:

(((Cathy:))) I am so sorry for the loss of your DH. :flowrforyou:

Pip: You did a great job settling in to your apartment. Next step, moving into your new home. I’ve no doubt you and Kirby will make it a warm and pleasant home. I bet it will be wonderful. :star: I love the photo of the bike ride in the snow in Tacoma.

It is only 8:05pm and I am ready to settle in for a good night’s sleep.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Thanks for always saying such sweet words.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    I was awake early, so took the opportunity to do my online Waitrose order for two weeks time. I find once a fortnight works well for us and I schedule the same day and time. :D We haven't been to a large supermarket for a year, but might start again soon, now we've been vaccinated. I might brave the bus if there are not too many people on it. They have been empty over the outbreak, but might start filling up again now all the old folks are jabbed. Masks are mandatory. I will double mask. Any kind of outing would be nice. I haven't been further than I can walk for a year. I have stayed within 2 miles of my house.

Hoping we can catch a glimpse of the grandchildren in the park at some point over the weekend. It should start warming up on Sunday. The night before last Scotland had its lowest temp for 25 years overnight. -23° C. We were around -3°C. I'm hoping Bea's new warm coat will arrive soon, so I can give it to her for an early birthday present. They all walk to school every morning.

Must remember to wrap DH's Valentine 's presents. I haven't talked to him about food. I'm leaning towards takeaway! :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »

Bananas – I really didn’t have bad hot flashes. I really and truly believe that exercise helped with them. When I couldn’t exercise, they were much more intense. But as soon as I could start exercising, they weren’t as intense and eventually faded away.

Michele NC
    Who will be leaving for FL tomorrow

Maybe that's why i didn't get them. i was jogging regularly back then and walking a fair bit.

I also didn't drink coffee at all back then, only green tea.

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    today, breakfast, walk, 15 min decluttering, writing, writing, writing, writing...
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    grateful
    i slept pretty well last night.
    good conversation and good work with O.
    Amazing help from M.
    Decent/good meetings with colleagues
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    My parents are having trouble registering for the vaccine because they use the same email address. The computers can't handle that.

I'm sorry I don't have a picture of my handwoven lace valance. It was a blue grey subtle plaid. I sewed a horsehair braid (plastic nowadays) to one edge to hold the curtain hangers. It came out really nice. It's in storage in Virginia with all my stuff.

Sorry to hear about all the hot flashes and troubles. It makes me wonder what the lady politicians are doing. It may become more commonplace one day to see them sweating.

Four inches of snow today! The yard looks so bright and clean. Yesterday it was muddy.

Annie in Delaware

Most women use HRT which seems to take care of the problem for the most part.

And I don't think people would particularly notice me sweating.

Hot flashes are more about how I feel inside. I feel like I'm burning up but my husband has touched my face and arms during a hot flash and they're cool.

On the outside, I know my chest and neck turns red like I've had a bit of sun. If you didn't know me well, or if I were a guest speaker somewhere, you would think I'd been out in the sun on the weekend.

And my face "glows" like I've got makeup on - reddish lips, a flush on my cheekbones. I've gone into a hot flash in front of a mirror a couple times and have seen it.

The only sweating I do is to become slightly damp, and there's usually a or two trickle that goes down my back. So when I'm at work, I wear a bra, a tank top to absorb the trickles and a loose, very lightweight top over it.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »

Bananas – I really didn’t have bad hot flashes. I really and truly believe that exercise helped with them. When I couldn’t exercise, they were much more intense. But as soon as I could start exercising, they weren’t as intense and eventually faded away.

Michele NC
    Who will be leaving for FL tomorrow

Maybe that's why i didn't get them. i was jogging regularly back then and walking a fair bit.

I also didn't drink coffee at all back then, only green tea.

I exercise just about every day, sometimes for a decent amount of time and effort, and still get them.

However, when I'm exercising, I rarely get them.

We're all slightly different.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    ru96m93j99eq.png
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,112 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Morning all.

Rebecca: 😍 Lego Master, indeed
    Cathy: 😱 133 cars? Glad you stayed home.

We had our jabs on Wednesday morning. No reactions for 24 hours then both of us were under the weather yesterday, but fine this morning. I have been told that's a good sign that the vaccine is working.

We have had quite pleasant weather this week. Bright but cold. We have been getting plenty of natural daylight, and a fair proportion of sunshine.

Weight has stabilised around 145 lbs. I'm working on muscle definition and flexibility for now

February Alphabet Challenge:

1. A - Aerobic Dance video: 2. B - I had to exercise in my bedroom today as it was bucketing with rain.
    3. C - I did some chair yoga today.
    4. D - Dawdled to our local park.
    5. E - Endurance circuit
    6. F - 2 sets of 10 seconds of forward lunges, front raises, fire hydrant side leg raises, fast feet, and forward bends.
    7. G - Generosity - I was generous to DH today and went out with him for a walk, despite it being bitterly cold.
    di4qfvlweo31.jpg
    8 H - Walked to the Hawe Road roundabout and out into the countryside, past a local farm with a pedigree Angus herd .
    9. I - Interval training today.
    10. J - We got our appointments for our vaccine jabs on 10 Feb.
    11. K - Walked past Knightsbridge to Kilmaine and home again.
    12. Free day
    13. L -
    14. M -
    15. N -
    16. O -
    17. P -
    18. Q -
    19. R -
    20. S -
    21. T -
    22. U -
    23. V -
    24. W -
    25. Free day
    26. X -
    27. Y -
    28. Z -

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    Morning, all... Lost my post, but I was just yakking about the weather anyway--which is bitter cold, and that seems to be the consensus everywhere on this thread except Machka's corner of the world! Sunday is snow and 18 degrees predicted here. We're making sure there's plenty of firewood and planning on not doing much... :smiley:

Back to writing again--a few upheavals in the company I'm writing for, but they seem to have settled out for now, and I'm making enough at the moment to pay for the shortfall in Corey's wages. This is his slow time of year, but once the hard freezes are done, the landscaping crews will be back out again breaking all the things he's there to fix.

Time to go get his lunch made for work and finish up the grocery list. I want to get to Walmart the minute they open and get back home. Too cold out there to futz around!

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • Machka9
    Options
    Morning, all... Lost my post, but I was just yakking about the weather anyway--which is bitter cold, and that seems to be the consensus everywhere on this thread except Machka's corner of the world! Sunday is snow and 18 degrees predicted here. We're making sure there's plenty of firewood and planning on not doing much... :smiley:

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

It's the usual meh kind of summer here. I like to have heat in summer, but we rarely get that here. However, I've seen it worse in summer here and if we get some decent humidity (looks like we will), those coolish temps feel warmer.

sk0wqkw5ntyy.png

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Trying to figure out how to change my attitude about work. Same old, same old. The owners just don't get that they need to be respectful, thankful, and appreciative of the two employees that are carrying their shop! Feel like I made progress yesterday with some paperwork, but am mentally exhausted when I get home at night.

❤🦋
    Kylia loving the prettiness of snow but soooooooo ready for warmer weather in Ohio

I thought you were one of the owners?

I get the impression that you do a lot and put in long, long hours.

If you're not, it might be time to start looking around for something else. You don't have to announce it to anyone ... just have a look at job ads once a week or so, update your CV, and if something really interesting (be picky) comes up, shoot off a CV and see what happens.

You may find something you like better ... or you may find that what you've got is good.

M in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    We're all slightly different.

M in Oz
    For sure, if there were a rather simple cure all for hot flashes I think we would know it.
    auntiebk wrote: »
    - Thu: Christmas decorations down and away ;)
    -make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances
    - finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas,
    - get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup,
    - rewards: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments,

Julie 2 hours is better than one! Changing morning routines can be a challenge. Any tricks that work for you? A special coffee for sitting down and starting? A timer for 10 minutes at a time? Or??? IMHO re: the therapist 30 mins 1x/month with someone I trust and resonate with would be more beneficial than more frequent less satisfying sessions. "writing, writing, writing..." Bravissima!
    [
    Sure felt good to do absolutely NO fire district work today. ;)
    Barbara

@Auntiebk Barbara, many times I try to read in your spoilers but I don't totally understand if they were things done today, this week, this month, or goals for this month or a mix....
    good job on xmas decorations. how was the almond paste? yay for decluttering. what dance did you practice. Mulching now! that's SoCal! You sound like a good citizen helping with fire district work.

Thanks for your encouragements. much needed. for sure it's not easy to stick to a major change of schedule in this way. A special coffee, no. I used to get up early, clean, meditate jog, breakfast and start, all very early. That was kind of a ritual, tending to home and body to feel ready. It was in late spring, though. It was way easier to get up and be active very early with 5 am sunrises. I think the cardio helped/helps clear the mind too. So far that is not happening. I wake early but, so far, I don't have it in me to get up and do all that prep stuff to make me feel "in shape" and ready. I tend to answer other emails etc, or read the nytimes.com for example and "relax" when I wake up very early these days, rather than work on the big writing project.
    Sometimes lighting a candle has helped. I DO set a timer. For whatever reason timer sessions in this area are called "pomadoros" after tomato shaped old timers in Italy. The common recommendation is 25 min writing, 5 min break, 4x then longer break (20 for example) then repeat.
    You are right about the therapist. the 1x a month one is covered by health insurance, whereas the not satisfying one costs about 30 euros out of pocket after health insurance, finally. Ok for one time but 4x a month that makes a big chunk out of a modest budget, especially if not satisfying.
    kymarai wrote: »
    Good Friday
    Depression, migraine, frustrations, bitter cold, snow, ice......I need SPRING! Actually, maybe I need to work less! Too cold to get in hot tub! Exhausted. Eating sucks. Apparently whiny 😞
    Trying to figure out how to change my attitude about work. Same old, same old. The owners just don't get that they need to be respectful, thankful, and appreciative of the two employees that are carrying their shop! Feel like I made progress yesterday with some paperwork, but am mentally exhausted when I get home at night.

I am thankful for all you ladies! You help me feel I am not alone. You help me realize my feelings are not unusual or weird. THANK YOU!

Going to try to get something necessary (paying bills) done. Maybe shopping list made for pick up. And clean up kitchen before work.

❤🦋
    Kylia loving the prettiness of snow but soooooooo ready for warmer weather in Ohio

Kylia (((hugs))) are you able to get outside during daylight hours ?; a friend said his GP recommended going outside for 45 around midday to combat depression. Of course it's not a cure all. we all have our own solutions, medical or complementary or "other".
    How cold is too cold for hot tub? I have never had a hot tub but my sister yes. Her life is rather simple but they have a hot tub. In snowy winter even VERY cold she does hot tubs. I did one at least when It was like 10°F outside, and the proverbial roll in the snow after. it was fun to do that crazy thing but also nice to be in hot but amidst the cold weather and snow. her back door is RIGHT next to the hot tub though so there are only a few steps in the cold. It's doable.
    Owners or directors unappreciative of those who are making the place run...sounds familiar! Doesn't make it better. An unappreciative boss doesn't help energy level. Do you have some rituals to disconnect with you get home, like : shower or bath and change...music, candle, etc.? I think it's normal to be really tired after a day's work. I guess at 30 or so I often had many lively hours in me after 8h day of work for example, but as years go on, kicking back at the end of the day seems more up my alley.

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    No water today at home do to plumbing stuff in building. Not ideal for cleaning, cooking or bathroom stuff, but will make it through the day. For lunch, had stuff that needs no water.
    About 8h on Monday, 2h Tuesday, 30 min Wednesday, 5 seconds Thursday. 1h+ today. it's midday and I have many more hours before me. I'm gonna keep plugging on.

I'm aiming for 35 h a week. So I'll surely work some this weekend to make up for work week lacks. I did do some other important stuff during the week.(some key meetings, calls) but not quite enough to make up for 5 seconds yesterday...there's a bit of follow up as I wind up from work. and there's the workers' rights stuff which is in a rather demanding period. My colleagues who are mainly in charge with me have been a bit "off" these past weeks, more or less and it doesn't help. They tend to let things slip to me.

I was really cold today starting so I took a break to do some housework. 15 min decluttering) then another for my daily walk(mini-version) and to buy some paper at the same time.

OK now it's 1pm. and I have still 7h to do! Aiming to knuckle down!
    I think it's unrealistic to do 8h writing per day at this stage, so I need to share with other tasks. (planning, organising, research, reading), like maybe half writing and half research (or something like that).
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    ru96m93j99eq.png

This is the scenery photo from the two small ones above. We have a large reserve not far away (like 1 km or so) and we go there occasionally to walk or run (when I was running).

74ba1xkb0lv4.png

Machka in Oz