WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2021

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    From about the beginning of December until Tuesday this week, I have had a project at work which has consumed a lot of my time. I wasn't expecting to take on a project like this so soon after finishing university ... in some ways it was too soon. And it took up more of my time than expected. However, on Tuesday it finished ... with a tiny wrap-up detail on Wednesday.

Also on Tuesday, my husband went for yet another major test regarding his brain injury. A stressful time for both of us.

On Wednesday afternoon it was like everything shutdown. I got home about 6 pm as usual, and went right to bed. I crawled out to the sofa to watch Midsommer Murders from 8:30-10:30, then fell asleep on the sofa till about midnight when I went to bed.

I guess my body and brain had enough!

Thursday, I woke up feeling quite a bit better and got several things done at work. And then started a 5-day long weekend. My birthday weekend!! :)

My birthday is not until next Tuesday but this is my birthday weekend. :) I believe in celebrating all weekend long. :)

I slept in today and I'm still a bit tired ... but I feel much better than I did on Wednesday. I've had a lazy Friday morning, but it's about noon and I should get up and do a few things. Trying to decide if I can put the clothes on the line ... it's quite windy which is great, but almost looks like it could rain.

Machka in Oz

Your birthday is the day after mine- will start my last year in my 50's on Monday.

Debbie
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    From about the beginning of December until Tuesday this week, I have had a project at work which has consumed a lot of my time. I wasn't expecting to take on a project like this so soon after finishing university ... in some ways it was too soon. And it took up more of my time than expected. However, on Tuesday it finished ... with a tiny wrap-up detail on Wednesday.

Also on Tuesday, my husband went for yet another major test regarding his brain injury. A stressful time for both of us.

On Wednesday afternoon it was like everything shutdown. I got home about 6 pm as usual, and went right to bed. I crawled out to the sofa to watch Midsommer Murders from 8:30-10:30, then fell asleep on the sofa till about midnight when I went to bed.

I guess my body and brain had enough!

Thursday, I woke up feeling quite a bit better and got several things done at work. And then started a 5-day long weekend. My birthday weekend!! :)

My birthday is not until next Tuesday but this is my birthday weekend. :) I believe in celebrating all weekend long. :)

I slept in today and I'm still a bit tired ... but I feel much better than I did on Wednesday. I've had a lazy Friday morning, but it's about noon and I should get up and do a few things. Trying to decide if I can put the clothes on the line ... it's quite windy which is great, but almost looks like it could rain.

Machka in Oz

Your birthday is the day after mine- will start my last year in my 50's on Monday.

Debbie

Happy Birthday!

Mine is the 9th/10th depending on where you are. :) And I'll be 54.

M in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    <3
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    I have been on MFP for seven years now, and lost six pounds. I guess it takes more than chatting in forums! But thank you ladies for the encouragement and companionship along the way. Priceless!

I think I am just used to myself at this weight 170. My walking is not going well because of bursitis, which would get better if I lost weight. Maybe that will finally convince me that 170 is not okay.

Annie in Delaware

Bursitis is part of what my hip issue is. My physio told me yesterday that walking is one of the best things I can do for it to keep it at bay. To get the inflammation down so I could start healing I iced my hip a lot.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,684 Member
    Evening ladies
    And here I am awake again,havent even slept yet and if I did it was maybe for an hour..
    Machka- Happy Birthday and to all of you other March babies..
    Ugh..sleep eludes me.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    <3 Too tired to do much commenting tonight.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Machka— HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: 12 mins T’ai Chi outside on deck, annual exam, Library, 14 mins wii, agenda email.
    Bonus: 24 mins walk in place.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments, call bank re missing extra escrow payment, research activating new iphones, charging options, recycling, call S, start taxes, fire district: then meeting notice to paper, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments.
    Mindful March:
    5: Take three calm breaths at regular intervals throughout the day: always good practice ;)

Annual exam, cholesterol up, balance better.
    Cholesterol numbers bounced back way up after stopping the atorvastatin (due side effects). Plan is to start Parvastatin, increase aerobic activity, cut back on the cheese and lowfat cottage cheese. Vit D decreased, time to add another tsp of cod liver oil. ABI shows peripheral vascular disease on the left side, possibly residual damage from the blood clots in 2017. Plan is to continue and increase walking, T’ai Chi. Some neuropthy especially in hands, start alpha lipoic acid, yoga/stretching, meditation and increase water to 60 oz/daily. Blood pressure good enough to continue to avoid rx, just watch that salt.
    Balance was miraculously better than last year, so much so I think there was a glitch in the machine ;)

Allie, sorry to hear you’re not ready to keep Alfie full time. Hope Tom or Elena bring him often to visit.
    KJ that was a wise choice you made.
    Sue in WA so relieved the irregular heartbeat is not serious enough to require intervention.

Thanks ?Dee? ?Teresa? for turning me on to the National Parks’ hikes on YouTube. Walked the first 24 minutes of the Secret Pool hike in Yosemite National Park – upper Yosemite falls, something I would never have been able to do in person. That is one steep, rocky, confusing trail, but Oh! So beautiful!

So like Tracey, I’m too tired tonight to comment much.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    March: leaner/stronger/kinder than January and February.
    daily: sit with Joe: 4, weigh: 4; steps>5627= vits=4, log=4, CI<CO=3, CI<250<CO=2, Tumble=6 Shadow=5 mfp=4 outside=5 up hill=3
    wkly: BB&B, T’ai Chi=4 or SWSY or wii =1 x5= rx= dance= clean 60 mins= packwalk=2, wt=2/28:142.4, 3/7 3/14 3/21 3/28 3/31
    mnthly: board mtg=, grant= , 21 plan= bonus: AF=3 play=1 sew= waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Son messaged this morning, he had a bad night, feverish and freezing at the same time. Took medication in early hours, says he feels a bit better now. He had AZ, a lot of people are recording these after effects. Glad we had Pfizer

Been more careful about what I’m eating, no gas and pain. Lost a couple of pounds too, so all good.

Happy Birthday weekend to Machka and others in March. DH will be 80 on Monday, don’t think he can believe he has lived to this age. Lots of bad habits in past, smoking and drinking, but also lots of hard work. Made granddaughter giggle when I said I need to trade him in for a younger model.

Will do workout or go for walk later. Will have porridge with lots of fruit and plan another salad for tea, maybe for a snack a ryvita with a little peanut butter. The jury’s out on peanut butter, some say bad for gallbladder, others say good. Will experiment and see how it goes.

I was looking for a pair of my homemade socks yesterday, looked everywhere, DH asked if I’d sent them to DD in the last parcel. Anyway messaged her, she said yes. I then remembered they were a bit big for me so I knew they’d fit her. Sometimes I worry about me LOL am I going gaga 🤣 mystery solved, need to knit more socks for me.
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Heather: I have your recipe for Sourdough Bread. DH can no longer eat wheat, so I haven't made your bread recipe in a long while. Sorry I can't hide this recipe, but I have never managed to hide anything. :embarassed:

Heather's Sourdough Bread

The important thing is to have a vigorous starter. It should be really volcanic.
    1. Put starter on counter
    2. Daily take some out & add fresh bread flour and a little H2O
    3. Put 100 grams each of wheat flour, white flour, and rye flour in a large bowl
    4. Add 4-5 large TBSP starter and a touch of water
    5. Leave the large bowl covered with oiled plastic wrap until it looks volcanic again. (You said it took 24 hours)
    6. Add the same amount of flours again, a touch more water, and 10 grams of salt.
    7. Add the same amount of flours again, a touch more water, and 10 gms of salt.
    (You said it took 24 hours)
    8. Shape into a nice lump, & place in a floured muslin lined baker's basket.
    9. Cover in oiled plastic wrap, making a pleat to allow for expansion. Let rise by about ⅓.
    10. Heat oven to nearly highest setting with a baking tray large enough for the loaf. Underneath have a roasting tray on it.
    11. Put baking parchment on the counter top.
    12. Tip the sourdough onto the baking parchment and slash the top with one or two slits for expansion.
    13. Pick up parchment, open oven & place loaf on baking sheet. Have a kettle of boiling water ready & pour some into the roasting pan on the lower shelf to supply steam.
    14. Shut the door as quickly as possible.
    15. After 10 minutes at highest setting, turn the oven down to 400 degrees F.
    16. Bake for 35-40 minutes, tapping underneath to make sure it is cooked.
    17. Cool on a rack

THANKS KATLA!! 😊
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,368 Member
    B)
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,330 Member
    Got the chance to catch up this am. Busy week. Last night had a "family" zoom. One of my nephews brings in his sister and my brother. We've done it a few times recently-good to catch up with them. Discussed last night adding in some of the rest of the family a bit at a time. Ended with brother, nephew and I having interesting discussion on family history.
    When brother, nephew and I were the only ones left on call, I asked my brother if he knew our paternal grandfather’s name. My dad died when I was 6 months old (youngest with three older brothers). Mom was protestant, dad catholic. Evidently dad’s mother and sister tried to take us away from mom so we could be raised catholic. Needless to say we had limited contact with them throughout our lives (they lived in Florida, we were in Ohio). Nephew has been trying to do some genealogy research. We did a quick search last night and discovered dad’s parents in a census record. Grandfather died when dad was in teens (want to research that-supposedly murder mystery). Evidently, my grandfather, father and brother all had same name. My brother is a jr., but I guess he could have been the 3rd. Don’t know if grandfather was ever made a Jr. Looking forward to researching more.

I agree with others that loss of a friendship does involve grieving. It is not the same as a physical death, but still a loss.

Cell phone-I use for a bit of everything. Don't do banking from it. Only do that from my laptop.

Update from testing last week:
    Talked with endocrinologist yesterday. He said he is not convinced that spot on lung shown in ct is necessarily new (radiology said it was not noticed in 2018 scan). Doctor said Pet scan noticed the same area of activity at the same levels in 2018 and this one. He believes if this spot was new or larger the Pet activity would not be the same. So at end of May more bloodwork, another CT and start tracking for comparison. Thankfully there are more treatment options available than 25 years ago when I was first diagnosed. The current thinking is that the spot they are now tracking has been there since initial diagnoses (I had minimal invasion) and it is in an area when thyroid cancer likes to travel to). So-nothing to do for now.

Glad so many are getting vaccines and having relatively mild side effects. My second is next Tuesday and I have my schedule at work clear so I don't have to do anything if I am not feeling well.

In terms of weight-have lost 80 pounds since 2006 (I had some long plateaus!) Since tracking in MFP since 2013 I have lost 40 or so. Have been maintaining the past year between 137-140. Tracking food (even if it is off sometimes) really seems to work for me. The exercise helps my body feel and look better.

Friends requests-what can I say? Some of the people are just strange. I delete the strange ones. Don't add friends like I did when I first joined-mainly just comment/interact in this group. Occasionally update my newsfeed.

Off to shower and work-get this work week over!

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

• teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    :# Up since 3AM, just can't turn off my brain today. It is better to get up and move around than stay in bed trying to sleep. Think this will be a low key day for me. Friday already and looking toward a wet weekend if the weather forecast is correct.

Betsy in NW WA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,045 Member
    edited March 2021
    Betsy good to take it easy. I am still feeling off from my up til 4:30 on Tuesday night helping Drew not get sick from her chocolate escapade. She is doing fine so far. We have had sunny weather so it has helped to get her out on short walks to work the sweets out of her system. The getting outside is also helping me recover too.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,521 Member
    Ooooo
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,195 Member
    I would love to do the Italki video lessons, but I really can't afford it. I'm researching other ways of getting a bit of free conversation. If I win a big prize on the Lotto I will do it. :D

Lots of love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited March 2021
    Happy TGIF to those who love the weekends! :)

Happy upcoming birthdays to Machka and Debbie!
    0fc0elzyjgme.png

Went to the eye dr. yesterday and was told I'd be wasting my money by buying new glasses. I need cataract surgery in order to improve my sight. I won't be getting it until my husband gets his as I am sure his is worse.

Carol in GA

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,684 Member
    Good morning ladies
    Ugh sleepless night didnt fall asleep until 2:30-3 am and woke up at 9:40 this morning..
    Im going to call Dr to see if there is anything I can take.
    Homer isnt doing well ,he did go to the groomers yesterday and all was well he does have a growth underneath and it is quite enlarged and Tom freaking out.. he is waiting for a call from vet and I might have to take him down..
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited March 2021
    Tina in CA: This morning I woke up with less of a headache!!! YAY!!! We had the Phizer vaccine. I think this is progress. DH & I have our second vaccinations March 30. Neither DH nor I have had any virus symptoms. :star:

Heather: If this is not your bread recipe, I think I know where I found it—Sunset Magazine, many years ago. I’m happy to share with anyone. :flowerforyou:

Annie in DE: I envy your horseback ride. I haven’t been to the stable since mid-December. I haven’t seen my friend and I haven’t seen Arrow. This has been a hard winter because of the pandemic, not because of the weather. :ohwell:

Debbie: Happy Birthday! I think I may have missed it. If so, Happy belated birthday. :embarassed:

Allie: Sending good wishes for Homer. :heart:

DH and I will be getting our second Phizer vacinations March 30. I am eager to get it done and HOPE to return to my normal life. My first vaccination headache has eased. I want to go to yoga at the gym and I want to visit Arrow at the stable. I want to see my friends even if we are not five feet apart.

Katla in misty NW Oregon