Please don't police my thoughts:

Options
EricJonrosh
EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
Okay our town caught fire today so I went up and took video. It's all contained, thank you for your concern. When I posted it on FB, I said "sorry for the gay commentary" because I was giving all kinds of overly excited commentary about the helicopters dropping water and people hosing their rooftops. Next thing you know some actual gay person is rapping me for using the word gay. Honestly I never once thought of myself as "homosexual" when hearing my commentary about the helicopters and how badly I wanted to be a pilot of one and wearing a helmet. I was actually thinking of myself of being overly jolly and excited, which is ALSO a definition of gay. Apparently, though, gay has to always mean homosexual, and if it doesn't, whatever the Though Police think you meant is what you're saying about all homosexuals.

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

You live in the US, where the word "gay" has not been used to describe jolly behavior in decades. Just own up that you said something thoughtless and move on.
  • EricJonrosh
    Options
    *eyeroll*

You live in the US, where the word "gay" has not been used to describe jolly behavior in decades. Just own up that you said something thoughtless and move on.

OR maybe certain crusaders have become selectively and politically uptight. Gay is an old term that has many meanings. None of my gay friends care that I use "gay," but I do notice certain crusaders with overly sensitive political agendas will call out certain uses of words. What's funny is the same people will throw around tremendously hateful and disparaging terms to people they disagree with, as if it's totally consistent with the tolerance they promote.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

OR maybe certain crusaders have become selectively and politically uptight. Gay is an old term that has many meanings. None of my gay friends care that I use "gay," but I do notice certain crusaders with overly sensitive political agendas will call out certain uses of words. What's funny is the same people will throw around tremendously hateful and disparaging terms to people they disagree with, as if it's totally consistent with the tolerance they promote.

You know the 'well none of my friends' argument is kinda weak, right? It's disrespectful to a lot people, so don't do it, easy. They get harassed and discriminated enough, without having their sexuality used as a negative term.
  • whierd
    Options
    And the "n" word used to have a different meaning as well, but societal norms have changed. You are aware of this and there are plenty of other words that could have been used appropriately in its place. So you either misspoke thoughtlessly, or you're intentionally trying to stir the pot using a rather weak argument to support your case.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Silly, rambling, verbose, imaginative, ludicrose...all better words to describe what your original post talks about.

When in doubt - don't.
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the Thought Police are alive and well around here.....
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options

This. Sensitivity is abundant these days.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

This. Sensitivity is abundant these days.

We prefer the term 'decent human beings'.
  • whierd
    Options

Highly.constructive.
  • EricJonrosh
    Options

Really? haha

I was never in doubt, neither would I let political correctness dictate my speech. If these Thought/Speech Police are such victims why do they turn around and insult those whose politics they dislike? Yes, I argue that I have gay friends, and they're fun, hilarious, smart, ambitious and I would jump in front of a bus for any one of them. They don't police my thought, nor do I theirs.
  • whierd
    Options
    Well, have fun with that, despite there being plenty of other words that you can use in its place. :flowerforyou:
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    And the "n" word used to have a different meaning as well, but societal norms have changed. You are aware of this and there are plenty of other words that could have been used appropriately in its place. So you either misspoke thoughtlessly, or you're intentionally trying to stir the pot using a rather weak argument to support your case.

My thoughts exactly.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options

You know the 'well none of my friends' argument is kinda weak, right? It's disrespectful to a lot people, so don't do it, easy. They get harassed and discriminated enough, without having their sexuality used as a negative term.

^^^ THIS ^^^
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Okay our town caught fire today so I went up and took video. It's all contained, thank you for your concern. When I posted it on FB, I said "sorry for the gay commentary" because I was giving all kinds of overly excited commentary about the helicopters dropping water and people hosing their rooftops. Next thing you know some actual gay person is rapping me for using the word gay. Honestly I never once thought of myself as "homosexual" when hearing my commentary about the helicopters and how badly I wanted to be a pilot of one and wearing a helmet. I was actually thinking of myself of being overly jolly and excited, which is ALSO a definition of gay. Apparently, though, gay has to always mean homosexual, and if it doesn't, whatever the Though Police think you meant is what you're saying about all homosexuals.
    Cool. I would have gladly named one of my girls Gaye. It's such a beautiful word. I have a relative who's name is Gaye. You can use the word gay if you want to. It certainly has that meaning, and it's a good one.
  • MinMin97
    Options
    Well, have fun with that, despite there being plenty of other words that you can use in its place. :flowerforyou:
    I will be using the word gay regularly now.
  • MinMin97
    Options
    *eyeroll*

Right. Some hypocrisy will inevitably show up. It nearly ALWAYS does.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Dude, who cares?

You know how you meant it, so move on. No need to dwell.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

Right. Some hypocrisy will inevitably show up. It nearly ALWAYS does.

Lemmings!
  • MinMin97
    Options
    What, vtmoon?:smile:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Came for the handcuffs and frisking...found none. I iz disappoint.

Herc_is_Disappointed.gif