Please don't police my thoughts:

Options

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Sorry OP, if you were wearing a top hat and adjusting your monocle while using the word "gay" then I might have believed you meant jolly :laugh:
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Depends on context really doesn't it OP...

As in gay used in a demeaning sense would imply that being homosexual is somehow wrong, and if that were the case here than yes your use of the term "gay" warrants people being offended.

Did you really use it in the sense of "jolly"?

Personally I think it is uncool to use as a derogatory description.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

You live in the US, where the word "gay" has not been used to describe jolly behavior in decades. Just own up that you said something thoughtless and move on.
    If our language can create and use new words, then, we can revive and use old ones.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    If you don't think what you said was wrong or hurtful, tell it to the person who took issue with it and get over it. Why dwell on it? You can't complain that people are policing your thoughts if you are the one making a big deal about it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

You live in the US, where the word "gay" has not been used to describe jolly behavior in decades. Just own up that you said something thoughtless and move on.
    If our language can create and use new words, then, we can revive and use old ones.

Except I doubt the OP was using it in a positive "gay" type matter....but hey OP...post the link and we'll be better able to judge.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Well, have fun with that, despite there being plenty of other words that you can use in its place. :flowerforyou:
    I will be using the word gay regularly now.

Which means you are doing it to stir the pot and nothing more. Not that I am surprised.
  • kenna44cat
    kenna44cat Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I had a woman friend once whose first name was Gay and her last name was something innocuous. She told me one time that she was going to change her name. It was her last name she changed, haha, I think gay is a very nice and pleasant old word, and there are Christmas carols and songs we still sing who use it to mean "happy." I am a friend of Dorothy, too.
  • MinMin97
    Options
    This thread is not gay. However, there may be gay people responding to the thread. However, no one will be policing my thoughts about whether or not I think being gay is right or wrong. And I happen to like the word gay, glad you reminded me about that word. I will be using the word gay more regularly now. I like it.
    I especially like that you used the word gay in your commentary. It's a great word!!
  • Ophidion
    Options

Except I doubt the OP was using it in a positive "gay" type matter....but hey OP...post the link and we'll be better able to judge.
    Agreed, I think the OP protest his innocence too much, with out link seems a little dubious.
  • whierd
    Options
    *eyeroll*

Even if he meant it in a positive way, at some point he made the choice to use a controversial word when he is fully aware of it also being a disparaging term. So, he either meant the negative or for some reason uses it to create the drama so he can use the "alternate meaning" argument.

It would be like saying, "I hate *kitten*!" then, once called a homophobe, defending himself with "I meant it as a substitute for cigarettes!"
  • MinMin97
    Options
    Well, have fun with that, despite there being plenty of other words that you can use in its place. :flowerforyou:

Which means you are doing it to stir the pot and nothing more. Not that I am surprised.
    Who's policing thoughts and intentions.....and stirring the pot? I really like you whierd. How come you don't FR me. I don't want to police your thoughts and assume why. Have a lovely evening!:flowerforyou:
  • MinMin97
    Options
    *eyeroll*

Even if he meant it in a positive way, at some point he made the choice to use a controversial word when he is fully aware of it also being a disparaging term. So, he either meant the negative or for some reason uses it to create the drama so he can use the "alternate meaning" argument.

It would be like saying, "I hate *kitten*!" then, once called a homophobe, defending himself with "I meant it as a substitute for cigarettes!"
    But that's not what he SAID! You are being presumptuous.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

Agreed. I think that's called....

backpedal.gif
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Silly, rambling, verbose, imaginative, ludicrose...all better words to describe what your original post talks about.

When in doubt - don't.

This
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    There is some strangeness abounding in this thread.
  • Ophidion
    Options

I for one want to see said video and hear commentary because I find it quite unbelievable that someone would be saying things like...

"That pilot is having a gay old time flying that choppa"

"It's a gay ole evening for firefighting"

etc

Would highly doubt OP uses gay in this context on a regular basis... sounds like BS to me.
  • MinMin97
    Options

Who's policing thoughts and intentions.....and stirring the pot? I really like you whierd. How come you don't FR me. I don't want to police your thoughts and assume why. Have a lovely evening!:flowerforyou:

Because I really do not like you. :smile:

You as well!
    That's too bad.
    I will!
  • whierd
    Options
    *eyeroll*

My only presumption is that the OP is fully aware that calling something "gay" can be construed as a negative.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    :yawn:
  • MinMin97
    Options
    *eyeroll*

My only presumption is that the OP is fully aware that calling something "gay" can be construed as a negative.
    He used the word properly. I'm gonna catch some ZZZzz's. Night, friends:yawn: