Please don't police my thoughts:

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

You live in the US, where the word "gay" has not been used to describe jolly behavior in decades. Just own up that you said something thoughtless and move on.
    If your in the US he can say anything and you cant do a damn thing about it, move on.

Wow...anger issues much?

Nope none at all

Surprising...

I am a very happy and cheery person

That fact does not come out in your posts...at all.

Seriously.
  • lj8576
    lj8576 Posts: 156
    Options
    *eyeroll*

You live in the US, where the word "gay" has not been used to describe jolly behavior in decades. Just own up that you said something thoughtless and move on.
    If your in the US he can say anything and you cant do a damn thing about it, move on.

Wow...anger issues much?

Nope none at all

Surprising...

Have you read any of my other posts?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Take your own advice, just like he can say it, the rest of us can say what we want.

By jove! You just divided by 0!

:laugh:

1222644096457.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

Wow...anger issues much?

Nope none at all

Surprising...

So then you are a gay man?

I am a very happy and jolly man but you cant say gay here so I wont

You can if you are actually gay. [Or maybe an 80 year old English person (my great grandmother used to use it for jolly)]
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

Wow...anger issues much?

Nope none at all

Surprising...

Ummmm...I am talking about this thread

And actually, yes I have, you may recall you have posted in my group...you seemed fine then. Maybe you are having a bad day.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

If our language can create and use new words, then, we can revive and use old ones.

Except I doubt the OP was using it in a positive "gay" type matter....but hey OP...post the link and we'll be better able to judge.

Who gives a ****. He can say what he wants how he wants. You or I may not agree with it but he CAN SAY IT!!! If you are from the USA we have that freedom if you are not from here don't read it.
    Yeah! your American, open season to be a homophobic bigot. *smh* Freedom of speech doesn't mean be a di(k.

I really wish that those who quote the U.S. Constitution would read it and understand what it means. The First Amendment does not guarantee anyone protection against criticism for saying silly crap. It simply guarantees them to the right to say it without being prosecuted by the government. Their fellow citizens, however, are perfectly within their rights to verbally crucify them.

This isn't to say that I agree or disagree with the OP as I have not been provided with appropriate context and the only evidence I have is that he is making a big deal out of the situation. That, in and of itself, does raise my eyebrows though.

Wish people would read what I wrote I said you dont have to agree or disagree but he can say it

It doesn't make him any less open to criticism and that is exactly what the other posters are doing, i.e. exercising their First Amendment rights to call him out for it. Your post is absolutely irrelevant as this has pretty much nothing to do with freedom of speech. If the police show up at your door though, please be sure to let us know. I'll be happy to call the ACLU for you. :bigsmile:

I have no problem with criticism

Then the point of your prior posts were....?
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

I have no problem with criticism
    Then the point of your prior posts were....?

Sshh, logic has no place on the threads.:wink:
  • lj8576
    Options
    I am happily married, with 3 kids, I am not gay and to quote the great Seinfeld "not that theres anything wrong with that".
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Take your own advice, just like he can say it, the rest of us can say what we want.

By jove! You just divided by 0!

Oh noes!

divide-by-zero9.jpg
  • lj8576
    Options
    *eyeroll*

Wow...anger issues much?

Nope none at all

Surprising...

Ummmm...I am talking about this thread

And actually, yes I have, you may recall you have posted in my group...you seemed fine then. Maybe you are having a bad day.
    It happens occasionally
  • debbash68
    debbash68 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

If our language can create and use new words, then, we can revive and use old ones.

Except I doubt the OP was using it in a positive "gay" type matter....but hey OP...post the link and we'll be better able to judge.

Who gives a ****. He can say what he wants how he wants. You or I may not agree with it but he CAN SAY IT!!! If you are from the USA we have that freedom if you are not from here don't read it.
    Yeah! your American, open season to be a homophobic bigot. *smh* Freedom of speech doesn't mean be a di(k.

I really wish that those who quote the U.S. Constitution would read it and understand what it means. The First Amendment does not guarantee anyone protection against criticism for saying silly crap. It simply guarantees them to the right to say it without being prosecuted by the government. Their fellow citizens, however, are perfectly within their rights to verbally crucify them.

This isn't to say that I agree or disagree with the OP as I have not been provided with appropriate context and the only evidence I have is that he is making a big deal out of the situation. That, in and of itself, does raise my eyebrows though.

Wish people would read what I wrote I said you dont have to agree or disagree but he can say it

Yes but with the right to say what you want, comes the responsibility not to trample on someone else's rights, therefor noone should be mocked for their sexuality.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    No one's policing your thoughts nummy. They're calling you out on a rude (at best) thing you posted on FB for many people to see (assuming you have friends).
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

Wow...anger issues much?

Nope none at all

Surprising...

So then you are a gay man?

I am a very happy and jolly man but you cant say gay here so I wont

You can if you are actually gay. [Or maybe an 80 year old English person (my great grandmother used to use it for jolly)]

So, just to be clear....homosexuals have a sole-use trademark or patent on the word "gay", right?
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Lol.

People are so whiny. They're like "OMG you're asking me to change my language? DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD THAT IS FOR ME? Do you know how much work I have to put into replacing a single word? IT"S HARD BEING NOT A TOTAL JERK, HOW DARE YOU EXPECT ME TO PUT IN THE EFFORT?!"

Stop whining that people are asking you not to be a complete twit with insensitive language. You're a grown man, using other words to describe things cannot be so difficult that you wind up doing mental gymnastics for it.

Seriously. If changing one word is too much for you, you're terrifically lazy and seriously need to look at where you're expending your energy.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    Also, no one is policing your thoughts. They are policing what's falling out of your mouth. Your thoughts are not public until they are verbalized. Once they are, they stop being thoughts and become vocalizations. Don't know if you realize it, but that's usually how people interact. So if you say something in the public sphere, you can't run behind the idea that it's just your "thoughts." You may think it, but you also said it.

Deal with the consequences like a grown adult should and don't whine about it.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    tldr

ekkieu.jpg
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Flintstones, meet the Flintstones...
    ... When you're with the Flintstones
    you'll have a yabba dabba doo time.
    A dabba doo time.
    You'll have a gay old time.

And
    Monday's child is fair of face,
    Tuesday's child is full of grace,
    Wednesday's child is full of woe,
    But the child who is born on the Sabbath Day
    Is bonny and blithe and good and gay

Being a Sunday child myself I have always failed to respect the wholesale theft of the word for another subculture to use. We Sunday's children can be possessive too!

Theatres are called The Gaiety all over the UK, there's an entire ballet about Gaiete Parisienne.

I know I can blame Gertrude Stein (first published use of gay referring to sexuality, 1922) but most ignored her, The Gay Divorcee (1934)

Some walk by night
    Some fly by day
    Nothing could change you
    Set and sure of the way.

Charming and Bright
    Laughing and gay
    I'm Just a stranger
    Love the Blues and the Braves...
    Al Jarreau and the Moonlighting tune

I also don me me now my gay apparel at Yuletide - old doesn't have to mean outdated, it can mean traditional.

I feel pretty, oh so pretty and witty and gay......

So please, allow that some of us really do mean shiny, happy, vivacious.....
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    Flintstones, meet the Flintstones...
    ... When you're with the Flintstones
    you'll have a yabba dabba doo time.
    A dabba doo time.
    You'll have a gay old time.

And
    Monday's child is fair of face,
    Tuesday's child is full of grace,
    Wednesday's child is full of woe,
    But the child who is born on the Sabbath Day
    Is bonny and blithe and good and gay

Being a Sunday child myself I have always failed to respect the wholesale theft of the word for another subculture to use. We Sunday's children can be possessive too!

Theatres are called The Gaiety all over the UK, there's an entire ballet about Gaiete Parisienne.

I know I can blame Gertrude Stein (first published use of gay referring to sexuality, 1922) but most ignored her, The Gay Divorcee (1934)

Some walk by night
    Some fly by day
    Nothing could change you
    Set and sure of the way.

Charming and Bright
    Laughing and gay
    I'm Just a stranger
    Love the Blues and the Braves...
    Al Jarreau and the Moonlighting tune

I also don me me now my gay apparel at Yuletide - old doesn't have to mean outdated, it can mean traditional.

I feel pretty, oh so pretty and witty and gay......

So please, allow that some of us really do mean shiny, happy, vivacious.....

That's fine and well.....if you lived in 1934.

Words have connotations. Language changes as culture changes. Lots of things were permissible (or not) in the days of yore that are not now. IF you use the word in it's original sense, you must at least admit and acquiesce to the fact that the word no longer means what it used to.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    tldr

ekkieu.jpg
    This
  • Melissa999999
    Melissa999999 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If you go by what the OP said, he was only talking about himself. However he meant the word, he was only referring to himself that way. There are people who do sound as IF - I have no clue if they are because I honestly don't care - might be homosexual when they speak by their tone of voice and word choices. There are also people who do sound gay - as in happy - all of the time when they speak. People shouldn't critize him for saying, again going off what the OP said, something about himself.