Please don't police my thoughts:

Options

Replies

• Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

The government can't do a damn thing about it. Anyone can correct him, either verbally, or physically. Kindly, or less so. Just a reminder, even if someone wants to sound like some caterwauling xbox pre-teen, someone may take exception.

Reminds me of a bear mauling I once watched in San Francisco. It was hilarious. A frat bro was screaming about how he was such a gay gay lord, and that made him the gay lord of happiness. What happened next was not his idea of a gay old time, but he basically got stomped by about 5 or 6 big bears. Was hilarious because one of them was wearing skin tight running shorts and a pink midriff shirt.
    OP doesn't seem to want to post link but this one would be amusing to say the least.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    meh

Political correctness =/= common courtesy

That said, context matters.

There is no context here.

That is apparently on FB.

Well, there is a little context. The OP is from Sacramento - 'gay' is not a word used for jolly in that neck of the woods. The OP is 44 years old. Two years younger than me. We do not use that word in my generation for jolly, even in England.

I used to live in Sacramento. Very unfriendly towards LGBTQ there.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    meh

Political correctness =/= common courtesy

That said, context matters.

There is no context here.

That is apparently on FB.

Well, there is a little context. The OP is from Sacramento - 'gay' is not a word used for jolly in that neck of the woods. The OP is 44 years old. Two years younger than me. We do not use that word in my generation for jolly, even in England.

I'm from Florida and almost 41 (a young'n, I realize) and what we mean by "gay" certainly isn't jolly either. His protestations are certainly starting to make me question his sincerity.
  • dbmata
    Options
    OP doesn't seem to want to post link but this one would be amusing to say the least.

That was a hard drinking party night, but I still carry this mental image of the midriff dude doing a good ol hulk hogan leg drop on the bro.
  • lj8576
    lj8576 Posts: 156
    Options
    *eyeroll*

You live in the US, where the word "gay" has not been used to describe jolly behavior in decades. Just own up that you said something thoughtless and move on.
    If our language can create and use new words, then, we can revive and use old ones.

Except I doubt the OP was using it in a positive "gay" type matter....but hey OP...post the link and we'll be better able to judge.

Who gives a ****. He can say what he wants how he wants. You or I may not agree with it but he CAN SAY IT!!! If you are from the USA we have that freedom if you are not from here don't read it.
    Yeah! your American, open season to be a homophobic bigot. *smh* Freedom of speech doesn't mean be a di(k.

I really wish that those who quote the U.S. Constitution would read it and understand what it means. The First Amendment does not guarantee anyone protection against criticism for saying silly crap. It simply guarantees them to the right to say it without being prosecuted by the government. Their fellow citizens, however, are perfectly within their rights to verbally crucify them.

This isn't to say that I agree or disagree with the OP as I have not been provided with appropriate context and the only evidence I have is that he is making a big deal out of the situation. That, in and of itself, does raise my eyebrows though.

Wish people would read what I wrote I said you dont have to agree or disagree but he can say it
  • Ophidion
    Options
    Somehow I doubt the OP is going to post link to vindicate his innocent use of the word gay.
    tK2YCnl.jpg
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

You live in the US, where the word "gay" has not been used to describe jolly behavior in decades. Just own up that you said something thoughtless and move on.
    If your in the US he can say anything and you cant do a damn thing about it, move on.

The OP is the one that made the thread about it. I gave my opinion on it. I think you are a bit confused about the First Ammendment. Can he say what he wants without being arrested? For the most part, yes. Is he shielded from criticism over his word choices? No.

So really, if your only contribution is "because 'Merica!" then please, continue, I need some laughs.

*Swoooish* Nothing but net.
  • lj8576
    Options
    *eyeroll*

If your in the US he can say anything and you cant do a damn thing about it, move on.

Wow...anger issues much?

Nope none at all
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

If our language can create and use new words, then, we can revive and use old ones.

Except I doubt the OP was using it in a positive "gay" type matter....but hey OP...post the link and we'll be better able to judge.

Who gives a ****. He can say what he wants how he wants. You or I may not agree with it but he CAN SAY IT!!! If you are from the USA we have that freedom if you are not from here don't read it.
    Yeah! your American, open season to be a homophobic bigot. *smh* Freedom of speech doesn't mean be a di(k.

I really wish that those who quote the U.S. Constitution would read it and understand what it means. The First Amendment does not guarantee anyone protection against criticism for saying silly crap. It simply guarantees them to the right to say it without being prosecuted by the government. Their fellow citizens, however, are perfectly within their rights to verbally crucify them.

This isn't to say that I agree or disagree with the OP as I have not been provided with appropriate context and the only evidence I have is that he is making a big deal out of the situation. That, in and of itself, does raise my eyebrows though.

Wish people would read what I wrote I said you dont have to agree or disagree but he can say it

Take your own advice, just like he can say it, the rest of us can say what we want.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

I rather doubt you read what others have posted, or even the post you just quoted.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

Wow...anger issues much?

Nope none at all

Surprising...
  • dbmata
    Options
    Take your own advice, just like he can say it, the rest of us can say what we want.

By jove! You just divided by 0!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    *eyeroll*

It doesn't make him any less open to criticism and that is exactly what the other posters are doing, i.e. exercising their First Amendment rights to call him out for it. Your post is absolutely irrelevant as this has pretty much nothing to do with freedom of speech. If the police show up at your door though, please be sure to let us know. I'll be happy to call the ACLU for you. :bigsmile:
  • whierd
    Options

By jove! You just divided by 0!

:laugh:
  • lj8576
    Options
    *eyeroll*

Wow...anger issues much?

Nope none at all

Surprising...

I am a very happy and cheery person
  • Ophidion
    Options
    *eyeroll*

I rather doubt you read what others have posted, or even the post you just quoted.
    Lol, was thinking the same.
  • whierd
    Options
    *eyeroll*

Wow...anger issues much?

Nope none at all

Surprising...

So then you are a gay man?
  • lj8576
    Options
    *eyeroll*

It doesn't make him any less open to criticism and that is exactly what the other posters are doing, i.e. exercising their First Amendment rights to call him out for it. Your post is absolutely irrelevant as this has pretty much nothing to do with freedom of speech. If the police show up at your door though, please be sure to let us know. I'll be happy to call the ACLU for you. :bigsmile:

I have no problem with criticism
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

And that's not even the point. OP started the thread complaining that he didn't mean to offend people on his video and decided to create drama surrounding the use of the word. Not to mention trying to avoid accepting responsibility for using a controversial word to describe something negatively. As Wheird said, he got called out and should just say, "Ok. I did" and move on.

As the saying goes...he...."doth protest too much, methinks"

^^^ Yep, Joy's got it right.
  • lj8576
    Options
    *eyeroll*

Wow...anger issues much?

Nope none at all

Surprising...

So then you are a gay man?

I am a very happy and jolly man but you cant say gay here so I wont